• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If you were a god

It gets a little confusing, but the "god of this world" isn't God. It's Satan.
Ooooooh. So - more than one god, then, eh?
Yep.
Back in the good old days, there were lots of gods.
Tom
ETA ~ It was a good bit before the Christian Testament~
Ah … the Xtian god is a Johnny-come-lately, then. But lo, it has been unable to rid us of all those other ones. There are still lots of gods.
Unlike Thor, who promised to rid the world of Frost Giants. And you don’t see any Frost Giants, do you!

2 Corinthians 4:4
In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Wow. Major League dick move.
Blinded them so they couldn’t see good stuff that is supposed to make you gooder.
That’s not godly behavior.
Yes indeed, that's not godly behaviour. Although this is not about the god 'you thought' the verse was referring to, as pointed out by Tom.

Yes I know the verse well - I think we agree in context, as it seems you're not misinterpreting the text to say this means "it is commanded that all men should be eunuchs".
Sorry, but the verse does command to say that all men SHOULD want to be eunuchs, and that it is a failing albeit a small one, to not be.
Wrong, not in the way you'd prefer it to be.
So, why don't you want to be a eunuch learner? What's so bad about it that you just NEED to reject the "holy word"? What are you afraid of? I'm a eunuch right here and I can say unequivocally that my life got BETTER since I made the change.

I mean sure it takes a couple years to get through the system to become a eunuch these days, but what's stopping you?

Come on put your Bible where your balls are, mate! Jump in, the water is fine!
As I said on another thread, it isn't for me. But there is hope for the consideration for someone else perhaps, as I notice Eric-H likes your post.

In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Blinded them so they couldn’t see good stuff that is supposed to make you gooder.
All because he is jealous of the attention his illegitimate human clone is getting. God is very very petty and not up to sharing some of the limelight with his poor clone who is soon to be tortured and turned into a human sacrifice offering. I wonder what Learner thinks about God's behavior. Does Learner approve or does he overlook this psychopathic behavior just because it's God?
I'm wondering whatever book you're reading... it's seems so different to mine. Like Rhea, you weren't aware that Corinthians 2:4:4 was about satan (as Tom knew).

My answer therefore: How can I "approve" or "overlook" the behaviour of your psychopathic entity if between us, we're reading
two different books,so to speak?

Yes I know the verse well - I think we agree in context, as it seems you're not misinterpreting the text to say this means "it is commanded that all men should be eunuchs".
Sorry, but the verse does command to say that all men SHOULD want to be eunuchs, and that it is a failing albeit a small one, to not be.
Wrong, not in the way you'd prefer it to be.
So, why don't you want to be a eunuch learner? What's so bad about it that you just NEED to reject the "holy word"? What are you afraid of? I'm a eunuch right here and I can say unequivocally that my life got BETTER since I made the change.

I mean sure it takes a couple years to get through the system to become a eunuch these days, but what's stopping you?

Come on put your Bible where your balls are, mate! Jump in, the water is fine!
As I said on another thread, it isn't for me. But there is hope for the consideration for someone else perhaps, as I notice Eric-H likes your post.
That's the ironic part. Between us you are the only one who calls yourself a Christian, and you're the one who fits the definition the least.

Maybe Eric is a eunuch, maybe not. It's not for me to say, or guess, or assume. I don't think that nonreligious people actually should become eunuchs unless they really want to be or see no other choice for whatever reason; at least one other eunuch I've talked to sought castration because they are paralyzed and it's a way better option for them than being eternally cockblocked by their broken spine.

It is the religious self-proclaimed Christians who should feel shame and inferiority for not being eunuchs, and even more shame and inferiority for being negative towards gender transitioners (and eunuchs in particular), because their book says that castration is something that is good to receive, especially if you seek it out for yourself.

The fact is that these are your rules you are breaking that I'm following accidentally. The shared rules I follow on purpose, well, "Christians" break most of them and perverted the rest.

I also find it ironic that I actually answered the thread's questions absolutely seriously, not as "what I would do if I were" but "what I actually do, and will do as I actually am", and yet you instead engage with posts of dubious quality enjoining you to castrate yourself.

You do realize that I only started fucking around on this thread when it was clear people weren't going to take my serious answers seriously?

I may be the one of only "atheist/infidel" persons on this entire forum who actually accepts that there are metaphysical frameworks in which the idea of God even has coherency under some particular definition.

My primary activity here seems to be pushing back on atheists making metaphysical statements that prematurely jettison the consideration of the set of coherent and complete metaphysical frameworks that include gnostic, intentional creation. It is just that to do so, I have to jettison all the incoherent ones all the same, including the "Christian" cannon as presented in the bible. You should seek to be wise enough to recognize that all coherent and complete metaphysics apply equally; if we prove a metaphysics is "non-disprovable", and someone proposes something that would invalidate that metaphysics, then the proposal is invalid under those same axioms, because we already proved that the proposed disproof is impossible at least under present axioms.

If you are really interested in seriously discussing the mysterious "will of God", and peeling back the "mystery" of such ways, personally I'm game... But I don't think you're really going to like the answers.

I could answer any questions you might have about godhood because I have experience sitting in the seat, and I would encourage you to sit in the seat yourself and maybe learn why I say Mormons have the sanest general "creation" cosmology, for all they are fucking nutbars when it comes to morality. The name of the game I gained my experience from is Dwarf Fortress, and it's cheap on Steam right now.

Maybe if you decide to take the concept of "if you were a god" seriously we could have a productive conversation? As I have said before, I am, actually, a god. This is according to my metaphysical definition of "god" as "creator of a thing that, from the inside, looks like a complete, coherent, and isolated universe, and which cannot be disproven as such from within." I am not, as I mention, "the god of this universe", at least to the best of my knowledge... Heck, the idea of a singular creator is not even coherent.... but the validity of my perspective does allow some insights.

All because he is jealous of the attention his illegitimate human clone is getting. God is very very petty and not up to sharing some of the limelight with his poor clone who is soon to be tortured and turned into a human sacrifice offering. I wonder what Learner thinks about God's behavior. Does Learner approve or does he overlook this psychopathic behavior just because it's God?

Tom
Ah, no. It wasn't until many centuries after this letter was written that the demiurge started to become confused with Satan. The "God of this world" is YHWH, an illicit emanation of Wisdom that created this (inherently sinful) material realm and ruled it through the oppression of the archons, or rulers, of this world.

I'm wondering whatever book you're reading... it's seems so different to mine. Like Rhea, you weren't aware that Corinthians 2:4:4 was about satan (as Tom knew).
Your reading is not supported by the text, which says nothing about Satan at all, but most certainly does not ascribe the title of a god to Satan. Satan is nothing more than a demon to our 1st century author; his reputation as anything other than a minor spirit in the court of G-d had yet to be established. The God of this aeon has a claim to the title as he is an emanation of the true god, even if flawed and broken in nature.

Back up your claim and show your references. I have have always read this passage to be talking about Yahweh, but I am no scholar, so feel free to prove me wrong.

2 Corinthians 4:3-5
3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

These verses are about the foolishness of God. According to Paul, God has predestined all. God grants some to get grace, but not others. It is a gift and cannot be earned by works. Some are elect, others not. God chooses some he hates, others he loves.

But the Bible explicitly claims God is just, merciful, and compassionate. But God is none of these things according to Paul.

Dear reader, if you were God would you behave in this manner? Is life really "Meaningless without God" as many theologians bellow at us?

Tom

Yes indeed, that's not godly behaviour. Although this is not about the god 'you thought' the verse was referring to, as pointed out by Tom.

I keep thinking about this because it’s a story (excuse?) that the bible uses a lot. So what does it mean about the story being told?

Some are saying that no, that doesn’t mean a different god, it’s the same one. Same as for Rameses and the excuse for murdering his son To get at him.

But even if you accept the story (excuse?) that it was another God, that Satan is now a god, who did the blinding… let’s think this through.

You are telling us that Satan-god is more powerful than YHWH-god now?. That YHWH-god is powerless to overcome the blinding that Satan-god does?

Or does YHWH-god not care about the humans who have been attacked by Satan-god? Sucks to be you! You should have planned better than getting blinded by Satan-god so that you can no longer see my-god light. Everybody knows that my-god light is not strong enough to penetrate Satan-god’s blinding power, so you should have avoided that, and I am powerless to help you fight off Satan-god, who bests me in the contest for your happiness All. The. Time. and I can’t do a thing about it. Buh Bye!

That’s what you’re telling me now, Learner? That your YHWH-god is always weaker than the Satan-god that he made? Maybe he should have studied the story of Janus better.

You are a god and you exist unchanged forever.

You create and destroy a few universes, but then what?

You create a planet wit humans to play with to pass the time.

that's not godly behaviour
All behavior a god undertakes is "godly" behavior. Rather the issue is that gods have no metaphysical obligation to goodness.

I know some people who create (simulated) universes for the sake of maximizing suffering in the regions of their creations that they decide to access .

Learner said:
"between us, we're reading two different books, so to speak?"
Cop out! He means the dog of whatever book you ARE reading.

Steve asked:
"You are a single all powerful thinking aware god existing absolutely alone.
You can wink things into existence at your whim. What would you do?"

I don't have enough imagination to create a universe from scratch.
But I have put some thought into (a) What kind of god I would create?
(b) If I was suddenly promoted to god of THIS universe, What changes/corrections would I make?

(a) If I was creating a god, This is what it would be like:
* She would be immortal, sentient, with free-will.
* She would be almost all-knowing. Would know only as much as she wants to know at any one time.
(Knowing absolutely everything would be boring.)
* She would have the absolute best random number generators possible. And wise enough to delegate most stuff to them.
* She would be able to cerate as much bio or artificial neural network as necessary to make dead-on predictions. (or not, at her discretion)
* She would remember only as much or as little as she wants to remember at any one time. (Remembering everything would be boring.)
* She would be almost all-powerful. Have a complete knowledge and **control** of physics. But NO miracles.
(she would not create the universe. We would use this one. A new universe is beyond **my** ability to imagine)
* She would not be everywhere at once. Experiencing absolutely everything would be repetitious and boring.
But she could create avatars, as many as wanted, to be wherever she wanted to be in the universe.
* She would, with knowledge and control of physics, be able to time-travel.
* She would be wise enough to not screw-up time-travel.
* She would be able to create life. But she would not be dumb enough to give it free will.
* She would be a she for all the wrong reasons (i'm a pig. An immortal would not need a gender).

(b) corrections I would make to THIS universe:
* Well for starters, I'd kick all the preachers to the curb. And anyone who claimed to speak for me.
I'd take The Wheel of the "church" myself. (but I don't actually need worship)
* Give us that "Peace On Earth" he promised.
* End death, Disease, & Hunger.
* Cap human lifespan at 100 years.
* Limit births to one replacement per person.
* Cap human population at ... ?
* Keep my hands off your "Free Will".
* Put an end to the church's extortion / protection racket.
* Put an end to torture in his prison system (hell).
* Free all non-violent prisoners from hell.
* Remove all the church's brainwashed puppets from politics.

Back
Top Bottom