• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

IF you're an American, will you vote absentee, vote early, or wait until Election Day?

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I received my mail in ballot yesterday. I will probably vote that way. We have a drop box outside of the place where we vote early, and a close friend of mine put her ballot in the box yesterday.

I just found a link where one can track the status of their absentee ballot. I'll look for it again and add it to this thread if anyone is interested. Still, I do have some reservations about voting by mail due to the things that dear leader is saying. Plus, there are always tales of one's signature not being an exact match and other excuses for throwing out a ballot.

I just don't really want to expose myself to COVID by standing in line with idiots who never wear masks or practice social distancing. I usually vote early as we have 3 full weeks to vote in Georgia. I've checked my voting status online numerous times. I haven't voted on Election Day since 2004 and hope never to have to do that again. Georgia does require ID to vote in person, but interestingly enough, anyone can request a absentee ballot for any reason. You can even apply online to vote by mail, and most cities have drop off boxes if you don't trust the mail.

How does your state vote? Do you live in a state that only does mail in voting? If not, is it hard to get an absentee ballot? Does your state have early voting? If so, for how long? Does it include any weekend days? Do you need to present ID? If so, which IDs are acceptable?

So, how will the rest of you vote? If you're voting absentee, do you have concerns? I'm just interested in knowing how the rest of you are feeling about this election. Do you think your vote will be counted? Are you worried about an absentee ballot being thrown out or not counted due to some detail, like your signature isn't an exact match? Share your thoughts? I've never been so anxious about any other election and would like to know what others think.

Mail in, early. I should be receiving the ballot sometime in early October, will send it back in quickly in case of mail delays.

I have scouted out the place to turn mailed ballots in directly. Dang near a drive-up window, a box in the back of the courthouse. Hopefully, it won't be 'protected' by any opinionated people like those interfering in some early voting.
Have also found yhe Massachusetts site for tracking ballots.

I used a mail-in ballot once and made an error and the hoops to jump through to fix the problem was a couple hours, compared against taking 20 minutes to go vote (and feel more confident about my vote getting counted). My voting place has never had lines before, I don't expect them this time. I'm lucky, it's a church on the corner just down the street from me, I can walk there in 5 minutes.

Uhm, I live in Oregon, we only do vote by mail/drop box...like for forever. Hard to believe that so few other states haven't converted before this... No concerns as it works great. We have a drop box at the local library, about a mile away. It will be there, within 24 hours of when we get our ballot in the mail.

Ours here in Michigan were supposed to be mailed out yesterday or today. We'll fill them out and put in the drop box behind city hall.

Ohio has thirty days to early vote. I always vote early, about three weeks out. There's never been a line. I'm usually in there with two or three other people. I'm going to make a habit of driving by the BoE each morning just as soon as early voting starts and if there's no line, in I go, cheat sheet in hand. Voting for the local knobs is always a crap-shoot. There's little to no information on them. But I will do what due diligence I can on them. Then I'll just pick the ones with the most interesting last names.

Ak,you go on line and request mail in ballots.Bang,you get local and state ballots.

I'll vote by mail, as I have always done, probably as soon as the ballot arrives. There aren't really enough polling areas in the area, so the lines before they started encouraging mail-in got pretty extreme and still do in many neighborhoods. Since vote by mail is just as easy, I wouldn't bother with it even it weren't for the present epidemiological risk. Anyhow, I like to have a laptop handy while I'm filling it out, in case I want to look something up.

I dropped off my application at City Hall a week ago when I was paying my property taxes. They'll have a drop box there. I can still vote in person instead, and I'm leaning in that direction. I have a very inconsistent signature so I'm worried it might get disqualified. On election day I'll swing by the school I normally vote at and see what's going on. It's normally very easy to social distance there and I don't see how it could be any more dangerous than grocery shopping. If I have any doubts I'll run across town and use the drop box. There's also the idea that the fewer mail in votes that need to be counted the quicker the final results will be in, so less time for post election mayhem.

If any of you are voting in Georgia, I found the link to track your mail in ballot.
https://georgia.ballottrax.net/voter/

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use my absentee ballot, but I do have reservations. I'm concerned about my signature not matching exactly. I'm going to try and write like I did on my last driver's license renewal, but I'm not sure that's the same as the signature that I used when I originally registered to vote in my district in 1998. With age, my signature has changed a bit.

I will track my ballot and complain if there's any reason it's rejected. I have never voted absentee before, so it does make me a little nervous, considering Trump. The last time I checked, far more Democrats are planning on voting by mail, compared to Republicans, so this probably means that Trump will be ahead on election night. While that shouldn't matter, we all know how he will use his temporary lead to claim. he's the winner. I say temporary lead because I am quite sure that he will not be the winner of the presidential election if all the ballots are counted and enough time is given to account for all the absentee ballots. It won't be a problem in states that always vote by mail but it will be for those of us who live in states where absentee ballots usually make up a small percentage of voters.

I have been voting with mail in ballots for some time. The day I receive my ballot, I will fill it out and next day I will mail it back in.

The GOP has decided to eliminate straight ticket voting in Texas to make it harder to vote for Democrats. A judge has just put the kibosh on that. Rat effing GOP gets slapped down.

Our ballots just arrived today. They're all filled out and sealed. I'll take them to the drop box on Monday.

I plan to vote in person because I don’t trust what Trump will try to do re: mail in ballots. I live in a small city and can quickly walk to my polling place. I know virtually 100 percent of the poll workers, was very impressed with their COVID precautions for the primary and there has never been a line in the entire time I’ve lived here.

BUT I am applying for a mail in ballot in case COVID gets really nasty.

I plan to vote in person because I don’t trust what Trump will try to do re: mail in ballots. I live in a small city and can quickly walk to my polling place. I know virtually 100 percent of the poll workers, was very impressed with their COVID precautions for the primary and there has never been a line in the entire time I’ve lived here.

BUT I am applying for a mail in ballot in case COVID gets really nasty.

If you get your mailed ballot before you vote in person, take it with you and trade it for the in person ballot. And don't let them try to give you a provisional ballot in exchange. I've heard of that happening yesterday.

My ballot will come in the mail. I'll fill it out and then take it to early voting at the town clerk office and have them put it in the box.

I'm probably going to vote in person.

I've been living in the same place (suburban Phoenix) for over 20 years, my polling place hasn't changed for most of them, and when it comes to the virus I interact with more people on a daily basis at work than I'll see waiting in line at the VFW hall.

I've got a hearty "fuck off" ready if any self-appointed right wing "poll monitor" tries to stop me on the way in.

Back
Top Bottom