• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
estimation.png

I've copied mega-gigabytes to and from USB drived many times and I've never understood why the transfer speeds and estimated time to finish fluctuates so much.

1) Transfers can go very fast while the writes are being cached--then slow way down when a cache flush is forced.

2) Flash drives (and SSDs) have a certain amount of space available for writing. Once that's used up pages marked for deletion have to be actually erased--and that's slow. Writing drops to the speed the controller can erase pages. SSDs usually are built with a bigger reserve for writing so this is less of an issue.
I think Windows just sucks and they haven't changed how file copying is done since DOS 2.1. When I use Teracopy, it copies those large files quicker, and more consistently without the Bipolar Progress Bar!

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism

I've copied mega-gigabytes to and from USB drived many times and I've never understood why the transfer speeds and estimated time to finish fluctuates so much.
Check out Teracopy if you move about large files often. It isn't expensive.

It's usually thousands and thousands of 2-3 mb files. Photos usually 115,000 of them. Sometimes my music library. Bigger files, 10-20 mb, but fewer of them.

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
Amen!

"Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in your last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty."

Skip the vegetables. Eat the God-damned rich.

Top Bottom