• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

photo-1528659882437-b89a74bc157f

It’s against my programming to impersonate a deity.

Sounds like that would make an interesting novel.

If 3PO was programmed to not impersonate a deity, then it must have been a deliberate programming decision. And that would have come about because in the past some droid did indeed impersonate a deity, to bad results, presumably.

So I imagine a wayward Jedi, or even a Sith wannabe who washed out because he was lazy or something. He steals a protocol droid and escapes to a primitive planet like Endor's moon. Naturally, the droid impresses the yokels, and he orders his droid to pretend to be a deity while he floats the droid around and performs suitable parlor tricks using the Force. Then they exploit the planet's locals for some precious resource, people die, Jedi have to come in to put down rebellion and clean up the Sithster's mess, etc.

And droid manufacturers thereafter are required to add code that their droids are forbidden to impersonate a deity.

Not necessarily: Since C3PO is artificially intelligent, he could probably reason that a general rule he was given would apply to circumstances not specifically in his programming. For example: a general rule not to present himself as an authority figure, but to only advise and translate. (which is reasonable for a diplomatic translating robot)

Since C3PO's job is by definition interpreting languages and rules of protocol, there's no reason to think he couldn't make this leap for his own rules.

What was the first TV show to use "hard on" and "beaver" in the same line?

"Don't be so hard on the Beaver, honey!

IIRC the line was "Don't you think you're being a little hard on the Beaver, Ward?" :D

"Ward, don’t you think you were a little hard on the beaver last night?"

That’s the way I heard it.

Not necessarily: Since C3PO is artificially intelligent, he could probably reason that a general rule he was given would apply to circumstances not specifically in his programming. For example: a general rule not to present himself as an authority figure, but to only advise and translate. (which is reasonable for a diplomatic translating robot)

Since C3PO's job is by definition interpreting languages and rules of protocol, there's no reason to think he couldn't make this leap for his own rules.

Given that Darth Vader created C-3PO, it's pretty clear he has a bit of an existential crisis with regards to creation and deities in particular. I honestly can't blame him for being triggered.

Back
Top Bottom