• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

This is real. I went on Amazon to get some Ben's insect repellent. The best there is. I use it on my shoes and socks when I go in the woods to keep the ticks off. I love that they mentioned Horcruxes from Harry Potter.

I saved this image off the Amazon page.

Bens.jpg

This is real. I went on Amazon to get some Ben's insect repellent. The best there is. I use it on my shoes and socks when I go in the woods to keep the ticks off. I love that they mentioned Horcruxes from Harry Potter.

View attachment 45981
Reminds me of when my sister and her (now ex) partner, Ben (AFAIK no relation to Ben's insect repellant) visited from the UK. I took them up to see the rainforest at Kondalilla Falls National Park, because I knew Ben was a keen rambler, and I figured that a genuine rainforest would be a highlight of the trip.

When we got there, it was perfect weather; But it had recently rained (rainforest - duh!) so I got out the 98% DEET tropical strength repellant (do NOT allow this to come in contact with any plastic items you don't want melted), took off my boots and socks, and applied it liberally to my feet, and all the way up to my knees, before replacing my socks and boots.

I advised Ben and Eg to do the same, but Ben went off on some spiel about how his boots were the top of the range waterproof, insect proof, bullet proof, etc.

Yeah, OK Ben, ignore the guy with local knowlege. Because your boots are the best thing since sliced bread.

To be fair, they kept most of the blood from leaking out, after the leeches started to burst at every step.

They didn't stop me from laughing when he was freaking out about all the leeches (some burst, most not) on his legs and feet; But perhaps he didn't pay the expensive hiking store in London for the "laugh proofing" option.

Pointing out my generosity, at not charging for a service a medieval doctor would have expected to be paid handsomely for, was probably beneath my dignity. But I did it anyway.

Note to tourists: Kondalilla is spectacular, but the falls look best after decent rain, and if there is visible moisture on the foliage, particularly at the end of a long dry spell, you should expect leeches. They are (when hungry) easily small enough to get through the weave of your socks, and even through the lace holes of your boots (yes, even the best boots on Earth). They are practically invisible - they look like 20-50mm long black threads of ultra fine cotton, until they start to swell up with your blood. And they can happily climb up past your knees before latching on - unless your lower legs are liberally treated with repellant.

Ok, bilby: I think I will be content to admire pictures and read stories about these places, in the comfort of my [familiar, safe] home. I have no inclination whatsoever to ever ever everever go any outdoorsy place like that in person. I will pin my WUSS badge to my lapel and call it a day.

View attachment 45981
Reminds me of when my sister and her (now ex) partner, Ben (AFAIK no relation to Ben's insect repellant) visited from the UK. I took them up to see the rainforest at Kondalilla Falls National Park, because I knew Ben was a keen rambler, and I figured that a genuine rainforest would be a highlight of the trip.

When we got there, it was perfect weather; But it had recently rained (rainforest - duh!) so I got out the 98% DEET tropical strength repellant (do NOT allow this to come in contact with any plastic items you don't want melted), took off my boots and socks, and applied it liberally to my feet, and all the way up to my knees, before replacing my socks and boots.

I advised Ben and Eg to do the same, but Ben went off on some spiel about how his boots were the top of the range waterproof, insect proof, bullet proof, etc.

Yeah, OK Ben, ignore the guy with local knowlege. Because your boots are the best thing since sliced bread.

To be fair, they kept most of the blood from leaking out, after the leeches started to burst at every step.

They didn't stop me from laughing when he was freaking out about all the leeches (some burst, most not) on his legs and feet; But perhaps he didn't pay the expensive hiking store in London for the "laugh proofing" option.

Pointing out my generosity, at not charging for a service a medieval doctor would have expected to be paid handsomely for, was probably beneath my dignity. But I did it anyway.

Note to tourists: Kondalilla is spectacular, but the falls look best after decent rain, and if there is visible moisture on the foliage, particularly at the end of a long dry spell, you should expect leeches. They are (when hungry) easily small enough to get through the weave of your socks, and even through the lace holes of your boots (yes, even the best boots on Earth). They are practically invisible - they look like 20-50mm long black threads of ultra fine cotton, until they start to swell up with your blood. And they can happily climb up past your knees before latching on - unless your lower legs are liberally treated with repellant.
Jebus! Australia scares the fuck out of me.

What are you supposed to do if you have plastic equipment?

And just because your boots are proof against the bugs doesn't mean the bugs can't go around them. Same as your waterproof boots won't help you if you dunk them.

Get better equipment ;)
And just because your boots are proof against the bugs doesn't mean the bugs can't go around them. Same as your waterproof boots won't help you if you dunk them.
Exactly. That's why you need to take off your boots and socks, and apply the repellant to your feet, ankles, and legs.

Get better equipment ;)
Exactly. That's why you need to take off your boots and socks, and apply the repellant to your feet, ankles, and legs.
I'm surprised that deet repels leeches. It works on insects by confusing their location sensors, and leeches are quite a different beast from a mosquito. It's not even a potent poison, at least it has "very low mammalian toxicity". When we sold our company to a company that made deet products, I saw a lot of studies and one fed rats 100% deet at a weight ratio that would have been equivalent to me drinking an ounce an a half a day of it. After several weeks the rats developed eating disorders...

Ok, bilby: I think I will be content to admire pictures and read stories about these places, in the comfort of my [familiar, safe] home. I have no inclination whatsoever to ever ever everever go any outdoorsy place like that in person. I will pin my WUSS badge to my lapel and call it a day.
I’ll do it! But I’ll listen to the local expert and use the deet.

Sounds like a fun trip Bilby. I hope to visit for the 2028 eclipse.

I believe the drop bears come out during a total eclipse, and they get even more viscous than usual. The local Aussies will be locked inside their homes for safety.

I believe the drop bears come out during a total eclipse, and they get even more viscous than usual. The local Aussies will be locked inside their homes for safety.
Only the drop crocodiles come out then. But the gastric brooding frog might surprise you.

Get better equipment ;)
All modern backpacks use plastic parts. The baskets on my hiking poles are plastic, I'm pretty sure the handle is, also. Parts of my camera are plastic. The camera is low end, the hiking gear definitely is not.

I believe the most common last words in Australia are "Where did all the locals go?"
Yeah.

Case #1: She had just moved here. Went out hiking early in the morning. After a while she noticed there wasn't anyone else around anymore. Then she noticed how warm it was. She was pretty woosy by the time she made it back--and if she had collapsed it's unlikely she would have been found in time.

Case #2: Visiting from a colder climate. Surprised at the absence of hikers on a trail that was still somewhat white. Didn't have enough battery, couldn't find the trail with the snow. Search and rescue plucked them off the mountain when they were down to 3% battery--they had been trying to talk them down but when the phone was running out that would no longer be an option.

Back
Top Bottom