• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Immigration Solution Discussion

Too correct! The US made a great mistake in not helping Latin Americans similar to how Russia helped and nurtured freedom in the Eastern European countries!
But you did and much more than USSR did for Eastern Europe. Don't be modest and take the credit.

Oh no my friend, don't let good manners and modesty stand in the way of the facts. If the US had practiced the same brotherly love and comradeship that Russia used on the Eastern European states on Latin America the southern Americas would be in such better shape.

Too correct! The US made a great mistake in not helping Latin Americans similar to how Russia helped and nurtured freedom in the Eastern European countries!
But you did and much more than USSR did for Eastern Europe. Don't be modest and take the credit.

Oh no my friend, don't let good manners and modesty stand in the way of the facts. If the US had practiced the same brotherly love and comradeship that Russia used on the Eastern European states on Latin America the southern Americas would be in such better shape.
I said - take the credit!

Legalize all the immigrant workers -- problem solved.

What I know that might help the discussion.

1) Securing the border has been part of the problem, not a solution. It turned a problem of males crossing the border for seasonal farm work into a . . .

That wasn't really a problem. We need those seasonal workers. There should be no restrictions against such crossings.

. . . into a problem of males seeking year around work because they wanted their families with them since they could no longer cross the border freely to return in the winter to their families.

Yes, neither is a problem, so neither should be restricted. Let the seasonal workers cross both ways as convenient.

Increased border security made it harder to cross the border and this had the unintended consequence of making the problem worse.

I.e., most government effort to restrict border crossing does more harm than good. Even if some crossing has to be restricted, those crossing to work should not be restricted.

I don't know how to solve problem #1 since it would require the xenophobes to admit that they are part of the problem and that they have to give up their one rather simplistic solution for the problem.

Bingo! You go from an F to a D+.

2) The problem with illegal immigrants working is that they are illegal immigrants and . . .

But that's not a problem. Just legalize them if they're working.

. . . and paid less than legal residents, obviously.

No, obviously not. It's never a "problem" that someone is paid less = Lower cost = more work gets done = more wealth produced = higher standard of living for everyone. More competition is ALWAYS good for the economy.

This is why they are attractive to employers because they increase the employers' profits, not because they result in lower prices for consumers.

They do both, unless the law of supply-and-demand is fiction, in which case all the Economics textbooks should be burned and all the Economics classes should be shut down.

If you think competition benefits only employers (buyers of labor), then you must be against Anti-Trust laws, which are based on the premise that more competition is always good for consumers, by reducing prices.

Back
Top Bottom