• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Impeachment II thread

The seethe is strong here, I enjoy that. It warms the cockles of my heart.

More evidence that Trumpism has nothing to do with imagining a better world, or promoting knowledge or even sanity. Trumpists just enjoy their hatreds, and have a masturbatory delight in recreational outrage

... But then Senator Barry Goldwater and two other Republicans paid him a visit and gave him the harsh truth. He didn’t have 34 votes and they themselves would vote to convict. Nixon resigned shortly thereafter.

Where is the courage of Republican Senators now? The world wonders.

Barry Goldwater was an extremist when the John Birch Society ran him for President in 1964, and was considered a pariah: Two Republican Senators abstained when asked to make his nomination unanimous. (I was a politically aware teenager then. Dad voted for AuH2O; Mom voted for LBJ. That might have been the beginning of their schism.)

But Goldwater would be called a RINO these days. He had more integrity in his little finger than all today's Republicans put together.

Descent of the GOP into Hypocrisy, Greed and Hatred didn't need Trump. It was already well underway in the 1990's when House Speaker Newt Gingrich deliberately sabotaged the country because he didn't like the seat he was given on Air Force One. By the way, Gingrich was succeeded as Speaker by Republican Dennis Hastert, now famous for raping little boys.

Second one: Pelosi Names Impeachment Managers | Speaker Nancy Pelosi
  • Jamie Raskin MD head
  • Diana DeGette CO
  • David Cicilline RI
  • Joaquin Castro TX
  • Eric Swalwell CA
  • Ted Lieu CA
  • Stacey Plaskett VI
  • Madeleine Dean PA
  • Joe Neguse CO
First one: Pelosi Names Impeachment Managers | Speaker Nancy Pelosi
  • Adam Schiff CA head
  • Jerry Nadler NY
  • Zoe Lofgren CA
  • Hakeem Jeffries NY
  • Val Demings FL
  • Jason Crow CO
  • Sylvia Garcia TX
Most of both sets of managers are members of the House Judiciary Committee. There is no overlap between the two sets of managers.

• Jamie Raskin MD head
  • Diana DeGette CO
  • David Cicilline RI
  • Joaquin Castro TX
  • Eric Swalwell CA
  • Ted Lieu CA
  • Stacey Plaskett VI
  • Madeleine Dean PA
  • Joe Neguse CO
  • Adam Schiff CA head
  • Jerry Nadler NY
  • Zoe Lofgren CA
  • Hakeem Jeffries NY
  • Val Demings FL
  • Jason Crow CO
  • Sylvia Garcia TX
Most of both sets of managers are members of the House Judiciary Committee. There is no overlap between the two sets of managers.

Should have got a Republican as a manager, both times.

• Jamie Raskin MD head
  • Diana DeGette CO
  • David Cicilline RI
  • Joaquin Castro TX
  • Eric Swalwell CA
  • Ted Lieu CA
  • Stacey Plaskett VI
  • Madeleine Dean PA
  • Joe Neguse CO
  • Adam Schiff CA head
  • Jerry Nadler NY
  • Zoe Lofgren CA
  • Hakeem Jeffries NY
  • Val Demings FL
  • Jason Crow CO
  • Sylvia Garcia TX

Should have got a Republican as a manager, both times.

Seriously, who would that appease and what would that accomplish? Giving Republicans a seat at the table given the context and current climate would only legitimize their shitty grandstanding tactics.

Because they could speak more persuasively to their own tribe obviously. It would be someone who wants to convict him, not Boebert.

Because they could speak more persuasively to their own tribe obviously. It would be someone who wants to convict him, not Boebert.

I understand that sentiment. I am saying that any Republican who speaks ex Cathedra about Trump loses all credibility in the eyes of the GOP and as such completely unable to persuade anyone. Negotiating with Republicans at the moment looks like this:
main-qimg-4d43519ca2f536b20fd76893b352b17c.webp

I don't see having a token in the Impeachment Management changing that.

I understand that sentiment. I am saying that any Republican who speaks ex Cathedra about Trump loses all credibility in the eyes of the GOP and as such completely unable to persuade anyone. Negotiating with Republicans at the moment looks like this:
main-qimg-4d43519ca2f536b20fd76893b352b17c.webp

I don't see having a token in the Impeachment Management changing that.

Yup, which is why one shouldn't even try to negotiate with them these days.

I don't see what you mean by negotiating. How is letting a Republican make a case against Trump giving away anything? What's the negative here? Republicans are turning against Trump, so yes they are persuadable, not just congressional ones but the public too.

CNN Politics on Twitter: ""I'm not going to lose my son at the end of 2020 and lose my country and my republic in 2021," Rep. Jamie Raskin says as he presses forward with impeachment articles while mourning his son. #CNNSOTU (video link)" / Twitter

The first part of it was his praise of his late son, a vegan who convinced others to stop eating meat with his poetry, among a lot of other things. He then got into how some family members hid in a room as the Capitol attackers overran that building. A daughter and another daughter's husband.

Jamie Raskin - Jamie Raskin - Ballotpedia - Jamin Raskin - Faculty - American University Washington College of Law
  • 1962 - born
  • 1983 - Harvard BA
  • 1987 - Harvard JD (law-school graduate)
  • 1987-1989 - Assistant Attorney General for MA Atty Gnl
  • 1990-2017 - Professor, American University Washington College of Law
  • 2006 -2016 - MD state senator
  • 2017- US Rep at MD-08
He was a professor of constitutional law.

His committees:
  • MD state senate - Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays Critical Area, Federal Relations, Judicial Proceedings, Legislative Ethics, (last term) Executive Nominations
  • 115th Cgrs - 2017-2018 - Oversight, Judiciary, House Admin
  • 116th Cgrs - 2019-2020 - Oversight, Judiciary, House Admin, Rules, Printing

What is left to convince of? This again is one of those black and white cases. The fortification of the VP's residence is proof of that!

The most damning piece of evidence against Trump? Did the National Guard go to the White House when the Capitol was invaded? I can't imagine a situation where security doesn't go through the roof at the White House, possibly even evac, if something like this happens anywhere near DC. Would the President have gone outside on the grounds to record a video during an insurrection?! Hell no! There was no threat to Trump, and they knew it, because those were his people attacking the Capitol after he talked directly to them.

So the whole, we need a Republican to make the case? That happened in the Ukrainian impeachment with Romney's speech, even if not as a trial manager. GOP response? Nada. There is no convincing the GOP of anything they aren't all-in on. That said, they might vote to impeach... if the GOP think it is politically to their advantage.

Of course, I'm not sure.

But suppose Pelosi wanted to include Republicans on that particular committee. How many Republicans with any gravitas would have willingly put their neck in that noose?

Sure, noobs looking for a bully pulpit probably would have volunteered. But would anyone important? Remember how Trump responded to Pence refusing to overturn the EC votes? Remember the gallows Trump supporters built?

I doubt anyone who could communicate with the real GOP would have accepted an invitation.
Tom

Who thinks he'll be impeached still? Only a couple of hours to go? I'm taking bets

He's already been impeached - for the second time. A trial awaits. Will he be convicted?

I sure as fuck hope so at this point. The GOP is at a crossroads. Usually when they are at such a crossroads they just bury a small box and make an attempt to sell their souls (as if they ever had one in the first place), but they could always choose differently.

Back
Top Bottom