• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Impeachment II thread

The most important five words from the access Hollywood tape:

“They let you do it.”

That’s the lesson he has learned. Yet again.

Mitch McConnell voted to acquit. This after getting the trial delayed until Trump was out of office. Then he maintained that Trump can't be impeached since he is out of office.

Yet,
After voting to acquit, McConnell blasted Trump for his "disgraceful dereliction of duty" and squarely laid the blame for the riot at Trump's door in what amounted to an endorsement of many of the arguments laid out by House impeachment managers in a speech on the Senate floor.

"There's no question — none — that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day," McConnell said.

McConnell had suggested in the email earlier in the day that Trump could still face other penalties.

"The Constitution makes perfectly clear that Presidential criminal misconduct while in office can be prosecuted after the President has left office, which in my view alleviates the otherwise troubling 'January exception' argument raised by the House," he wrote.
Let's see how that turns out. He concedes much of the prosecution's case, yet nevertheless votes to acquit.

Mitch McConnell, the despicable coward, fails to uphold his oath of office punts to civil prosecutors and the courts to protect the constitution and democracy. I hope they hold trump accountable for Trump's failed coup.

Republicans own this slimeball and his lies and his copkillers and his racists, as they have since summer 2016. Let them take the hits that should follow.

Mitch McConnell, the despicable coward, fails to uphold his oath of office punts to civil prosecutors and the courts to protect the constitution and democracy. I hope they hold trump accountable for Trump's failed coup.
I've come across a theory about that, and that it's that he does not want to endanger his position as Republican leader. If he voted for impeachment, then he might piss off the Trumpies in his party. Or at least those who seem like Trumpies because of all the Trumpies in the party's base.

Here are all the Senate votes on impeachment issues. All Democrats voted for all three resolutions, and all Republicans except for the ones that I've listed.

U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 117th Congress - 1st Session
#57: On the Motion (Is Former President Donald John Trump Subject to a Court of Impeachment for Acts Committed While President? )
1/2, 56-44
R's for it: Cassidy (R-LA), Collins (R-ME), Murkowski (R-AK), Romney (R-UT), Sasse (R-NE), Toomey (R-PA)

#58: On the Motion (Shall It Be In Order to Consider and Debate Any Motion to Subpoena Witnesses or Documents? )
1/2, 55-45
R's for it: Collins (R-ME), Graham (R-SC), Murkowski (R-AK), Romney (R-UT), Sasse (R-NE)

#59: H.Res. 24 (A resolution impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors. )
The House's impeachment resolution: H.Res.24 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
(guilty = yes, not guilty = no)
2/3, 57-43
R's for it: Burr (R-NC), Cassidy (R-LA), Collins (R-ME), Murkowski (R-AK), Romney (R-UT), Sasse (R-NE), Toomey (R-PA)

Who voted for what:

Burr (R-NC): 3
Cassidy (R-LA), Toomey (R-PA): 1,3
Collins (R-ME), Murkowski (R-AK), Romney (R-UT), Sasse (R-NE): 1, 2, 3
Graham (R-SC): 2

Curious to see no whether my neighbors will take down their Trump-Pence signs (after 5 years) or the other neighbors will take down their Trump flags.

I’m thinking they will look upon this outcome as reason to keep flying their cultish flags for a long time.

Pelosi was very alive and animated at the press conference. I think she feels pretty great about result, considering that formal result had been known.

Pence camp says Trump lawyer lied during impeachment trial: report - Raw Story - Celebrating 16 Years of Independent Journalism
"At no point was the President informed the Vice President was in any danger. Because the House rushed through this impeachment...there's nothing at all in the record on this point," he claimed.

The claim conflicts with comments by Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) that he told Trump that Pence was being evacuated, and then Trump tweeted attacking Pence. Tuberville has said he stands by his comment.

Now the Pence camp is reportedly also criticizing the claim, as reported by CNN's Jim Acosta.

Trump lawyer has awkward moment on Fox News after being branded a 'TRAITOR' for defending insurrection - Raw Story - Celebrating 16 Years of Independent Journalism
"Philadelphia attorney Michael T. van der Veen has taken a starring role in Donald Trump's impeachment defense over the last two days — and he's also incurred backlash," The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Saturday. "Vandals spray-painted "TRAITOR" on the driveway of his suburban Philadelphia home Friday night, after he spent hours on the Senate floor hurling partisan invective and testily condemning the former president's second impeachment trial as 'constitutional cancel culture.'"
Michael van der Veen, Trump lawyer from Philadelphia, sparks laughs for ‘Phillydelphia’

Back to Raw Story.
And when he returned to the Senate podium Saturday for a debate over whether witnesses would be called to testify about Trump’s mindset during the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, his suggestion that he would seek to depose at least 100 people at his office drew audible, bipartisan guffaws from the room — and set the internet ablaze.

“None of these depositions should be done by Zoom,” he said. “These depositions should be done in person, in my office in Philly-delphia.”

Ron Johnson hammered for calling for Capitol riot investigation of Pelosi as Trump impeachment trial winds down - Raw Story - Celebrating 16 Years of Independent Journalism
Senator Ron Johnson on Twitter: "There is much to be investigated + many questions remain unanswered regarding Capitol Hill security on 1/6. What did Speaker Pelosi know about security preparations? Why have the @HouseSAA and @SenateSAA not responded to my letters? The public deserves full transparency." / Twitter

But it was Trump's responsibility, and he was negligent about it.

Trump 'made no attempt' to reach the National Guard to help overwhelmed Capitol police, Rep. Castro says
Rep. Joaquin Castro was one of the impeachment managers.
“You heard from my colleagues that when planning this attack, the insurgents predicted that Donald Trump would command the National Guard to help them,” Castro said in his presentation on the Senate floor. “There’s a lot that we don’t know yet about what happened that day, but here’s what we do know: Donald Trump did not send help to these officers who were badly outnumbered, overwhelmed and being beaten down.”

“Two hours into the insurrection, by 3 p.m., President Trump had not deployed the National Guard or any other law enforcement to help, despite multiple pleas to do so,” Castro said. “President Donald Trump was, at the time, our commander in chief of the United States of America. He took a solemn oath to preserve, protect and defend this country and he failed to uphold that oath. In fact, there’s no indication that President Trump ever made a call to have the Guard deployed or had anything to do with the Guard being deployed when it ultimately was.”

"Trump’s lawyers are getting worse."

For the first trial, Trump had Alan Dershowitz and Clinton impeachment lawyer Ken Starr, but the two lawyers who stayed on were grossly incompetent.
Castor then delivered a 45-minute speech that Maggie Haberman at the New York Times called “rambling, almost somnambulant.” Trump himself was reportedly furious over the defense, and even Senate Republicans and Trump stalwarts couldn’t make sense of it.
"But he’s still probably getting off."
Which he did.

'Only just begun': Donald Trump thanks Senate Republicans for second impeachment acquittal
Donald Trump thanked Senate Republicans – most of them – for his impeachment acquittal on Saturday, and proclaimed that the political movement he began with his 2016 election has "only just begun."

"We have so much work ahead of us, and soon we will emerge with a vision for a bright, radiant, and limitless American future," Trump said in a written statement issued shortly after the Senate impeachment verdict.

While thanking GOP allies, Trump – who is considering another presidential run – attacked Democrats by saying "it is a sad commentary on our times that one political party in America is given a free pass to denigrate the rule of law."
Pure projection.

Back
Top Bottom