• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

In defence of Trump

Fox isn't news IMHO. It's parody. They're not even trying. Quality fact checked news is quality news, no matter if it's leftist or conservative. I'm not aware of a single quality conservative news outlet. Today they all seem to be left. That's a problem for democracy.

How is it the left's fault that right-wing media has become a parody of itself? Do you want US government to force Fox News to only put out quality news? How is that any different for the US than the media situation you decry in your country?

I have not accused the left of anything. I have no accused anyone of anything. I'm simply agreeing with Trump (and Weinstein) that today all quality media is leftist. This is not benefiting anybody. Any ecosystem of ideas is dependent on a multitude of ideas. We need a conflict of ideas to have discussions. Ideas need to be tried and tested. It's not happening any longer. In the situation now, when all media is leftist, there's barely any debate any longer. That's how I see it. And that is dangerous.

Sometimes nobody is to blame and things can still go to shit.

That's why I loved Jordan Peterson, even though I don't agree with him on almost anything. The right desperately needed a public intellectual to raise the bar, on all ideological discussions. The left needed Jordan Peterson, just as much as the right did. I think the entire world is becoming dumber because this lack of quality journalism and debate. This is inspite of living in the world that is more well educated than any population in human history. It's quite the paradox.

No, I don't have a solution. I'm simply pointing out a problem. Or rather, Eric Weinstein is, and I'm just repeating it.

Mr. Weinstein is an adherent of the stolen election delusion. His thoughts are not worth talking about at all.

Can you back that up with quotes by him? I linked to quotes where he contradicts you. So you have quite the burden of proof against you :)

I think there is a leftist media conspiracy, of the simple reason that journalism is a humanities subject and humanities people are overwhelmingly leftist. Leftists are, overall, better writers, and will therefore get more media attention (even when wrong). When Trump says there's a media conspiracy against him, I agree with that. The fact that he's an utter moron who deserves most of the negative things written against him, doesn't make the conspiracy against him any less real. Both can be true.

That is not a conspiracy. It may feed a bias, but that is a different thing. As Stephen Colbert said, "Reality has a well known liberal bias".

Yeah, it's a funny quote. I also agree with Colbert. But that's because I'm a liberal. I still want quality conservative press. While I'm a lefty I do go out of my way to read as much non-liberal news as possible. Just to force myself out of the liberal thought bubble.

I think there is a leftist media conspiracy, of the simple reason that journalism is a humanities subject and humanities people are overwhelmingly leftist. Leftists are, overall, better writers, and will therefore get more media attention (even when wrong). When Trump says there's a media conspiracy against him, I agree with that. The fact that he's an utter moron who deserves most of the negative things written against him, doesn't make the conspiracy against him any less real. Both can be true.

That is not a conspiracy. It may feed a bias, but that is a different thing. As Stephen Colbert said, "Reality has a well known liberal bias".

Yeah, it's a funny quote. I also agree with Colbert. But that's because I'm a liberal. I still want quality conservative press.
Absolutely not! We don't want liberal or conservative presses. We want a press. Where can one get the best conservative commentary? NPR, where conservatives are represented and discuss issues. The "conservative press" consists of the biased Wall Street Journal and Fox News and then the whacko AM Radio stations and OANN. There is no liberal equivalent to AM Radio and OANN in America.

When it's a right winger, they get a hard hitting opponent journalist trying to rip them apart.

Guess you don't get FOX on cable in Copenhagen... :rolleyes:

Fox isn't news IMHO. It's parody. They're not even trying. Quality fact checked news is quality news, no matter if it's leftist or conservative. I'm not aware of a single quality conservative news outlet. Today they all seem to be left. That's a problem for democracy.

Why is that a problem for democracy, if, as you correctly say, "quality fact checked news is quality news, no matter if it's leftist or conservative."

The problem for democracy isn't the absence of right-leaning "quality fact checked news", it's the presence of right-wing sources that deliberately twist the facts or outright lie to their consumers. And it's those very sources that prevent any right-leaning "quality fact checked news" outlet from ever seeing the light of day.

When it's a right winger, they get a hard hitting opponent journalist trying to rip them apart.

And Trump isn't a democratic president, he's a parody of one at the best of times. Accurately reporting that fact every now and than (while spending a whole lot of time and effort relativising it and making him presidential than his actual acts merit) doesn't make a media outlet leftist.

How is it the left's fault that right-wing media has become a parody of itself? Do you want US government to force Fox News to only put out quality news? How is that any different for the US than the media situation you decry in your country?

I have not accused the left of anything. I have no accused anyone of anything. I'm simply agreeing with Trump (and Weinstein) that today all quality media is leftist. This is not benefiting anybody. Any ecosystem of ideas is dependent on a multitude of ideas. We need a conflict of ideas to have discussions. Ideas need to be tried and tested. It's not happening any longer. In the situation now, when all media is leftist, there's barely any debate any longer. That's how I see it. And that is dangerous.

Sometimes nobody is to blame and things can still go to shit.

That's why I loved Jordan Peterson, even though I don't agree with him on almost anything. The right desperately needed a public intellectual to raise the bar, on all ideological discussions. The left needed Jordan Peterson, just as much as the right did. I think the entire world is becoming dumber because this lack of quality journalism and debate. This is inspite of living in the world that is more well educated than any population in human history. It's quite the paradox.

No, I don't have a solution. I'm simply pointing out a problem. Or rather, Eric Weinstein is, and I'm just repeating it.

It is not a new problem. The quote "Those who do not read the newspaper are uniformed, those who do read the newspaper are misinformed" has been falsely attributed to Mark Twain, but the sentiment has existed since before his time, and Thomas Jefferson made similar comments regarding the trustworthiness of the news media in his time. If there was a solution that could be applied from the outside in a democratic society, it would have been found by now. The only solution is for people to be discerning in the media they consume, skeptical of the content of that media, and willing to question their own biases. So, a solution that will never be attained for the majority of people on this planet.

Mr. Weinstein is an adherent of the stolen election delusion. His thoughts are not worth talking about at all.

Can you back that up with quotes by him? I linked to quotes where he contradicts you. So you have quite the burden of proof against you :)
His points F and G say it all. Of course, A-D are completely bullshit as well.

I guess we can dismiss anything Dr. Zoidberg says becuase hey...bias.

Wow, might as well add everyone to my ignore list, since everyone has some bias.

For instance, I'm biased against dumbass defence of wannabe fascist dictators. I admit it.

I agree with Eric Weinstein in that we now have a society where all news lies.

Get real - "News" tries to mirror reality, sometimes honestly and sometimes less so. It is never 100% accurate as it is a model, not the reality itself.
When it intentionally changes its model to be less like reality, it lies (e.g. every pressroom even since Trump took office). That's is NOT "all news".
When reality's "liberal bias" is accurately reflected, that is not "all news lying".

Weinstein is a tinfoil hat wearing nutjob and is only thoughtful in the same way other conspiracy theorizers are thoughtful over their convolutions.

I agree with this.

I agree with a small part of it. It is a right-wing talking point, though, to call "the media" the stuff it is being called. There isn't really a monolithic media and it is most often conservative snowflakes who rail against "the media" or "mainstream media" as if it is one leftist entity. I'd say that many of the criticisms could rationally be lodged against CNN in particular. Much of the infotainment is also conservative-biased and pushing outright lies to support Trump.

Trump's popularity, as I see it, came from him being a political outsider, ...

Full stop. Trump wasn't a political outsider. He was a political elite. He was being groomed to be a politician for decades and he was donating to campaigns and going to elite parties with politicians for decades. Prior to all that his father was politically connected and that grew into connections for Donald like Roy Cohn and Roger Stone.

He socialized with the Dems more, including the Clinton clan. He was, however, able to pose as an outsider to the American public.

I agree with a small part of it. It is a right-wing talking point, though, to call "the media" the stuff it is being called. There isn't really a monolithic media and it is most often conservative snowflakes who rail against "the media" or "mainstream media" as if it is one leftist entity. I'd say that many of the criticisms could rationally be lodged against CNN in particular. Much of the infotainment is also conservative-biased and pushing outright lies to support Trump.

Full stop. Trump wasn't a political outsider. He was a political elite. He was being groomed to be a politician for decades and he was donating to campaigns and going to elite parties with politicians for decades. Prior to all that his father was politically connected and that grew into connections for Donald like Roy Cohn and Roger Stone.

He socialized with the Dems more, including the Clinton clan. He was, however, able to pose as an outsider to the American public.

Yes. Propaganda is his middle name.

left, which is why they favored Biden over Sanders and Warren and now the news commentators on the mainstream media are warning Biden against going too left. There is no state media in the US; there is corporate media, and many of them at present are willing to dally with social justice issues, but not with economic or class justice issues.

So you don't think there was any reasonable motivation for anybody voting Trump over Hillary? Was it simply the fact that half of all Americans are evil and corrupt that led to him being elected?
that depends on your definition of "reasonable" - if by "reasonable" you mean "consideration for a sequence of actions and events likely to occur within the realm of possibility" then the answer is no, there was no reasonable motivation for voting trump.
but if by "reasonable" you mean "can be presented in a coherent way as a narrative" then yes there was reasonable motivation to vote trump.

all spoken and posted statements by the likes of people who support trump come down to one of two categories:
1. idiots who thought any of the BS he spewed during the 2015/16 campaign was true - that he was some noble outsider who was going to strike down institutional corruption and governmental mismanagement and run the country efficiently and effectively like a proper businessman.
these are the gullible twats who just want reality spoon fed to them by a higher authority so buy into the narrative fox news tries to sell about those claims being true and trump being effective at delivering on campaign promises, and they seem to be a rather huge minority... mostly old people too addled to have the proper critical thinking skills required to successfully navigate the modern world.

2. the rank-and-file of the modern day 'conservative' movement, for whom trump is simply the physical manifestation of everything their ideology has been leading to for the last 60 years. these people seem to be the vast majority of trump supporters, and are not rubes who have been duped into believing a false narrative about what's going on, they just idolize exactly what trump is and how trump runs things and so for them this is what they want out of elected government.
this category includes those who actively seek out deranged conspiracy as a solution to every perceived obstacle, as well establishment politicos who are fine with trump so long as he is an avenue to retain power.

i've never personally seen any evidence of any kind of rationale for supporting trump that doesn't fall into one of those two categories.
the first one i would say is NOT reasonable because it's predicated on blind stupidity, but it's such a minority that it falls into the sample range one would expect of "humans are dumb".
the second one is reasonable, at least from a broadly ontological standpoint. it might be ethically indefensible, but it makes sense from the perspective of the lunatics who hold this toxic sewage as moral value.

I think he won because most Americans disliked Hillary more. It's interesting to discuss, why that is? She was obviously competent at the job. She had the brains and experience. So a distrust of her abilities wasn't it.
this is a false dichotomy predicated on a great lie told about america: that reasoned and objective democracy exists, that civic voting is serious and rational, and that election results are based on individual merit and/or in any way related to the actual people involved.
the reality is that most of the time, presidential elections in the US have absolutely nothing to do with the candidates - or at least very little, and then only as a modifier to an otherwise existing factor - and are instead broadly determined by a cultural zeitgeist pendulum that's been swinging back and forth in this country since about the 40s when the two political parties as they exist today were formed.
it comes down to a simple formula: democrats get to be president, which pisses the hell out of republicans and makes democrats complacent. then republicans get to be president, which pisses the hell out of democrats and makes republicans complacent. then they switch again. repeat.

there's a couple minor outliers and some arguments to be made for some elections having candidates so terrible that what could have been a contended election was basically just handed to the other party, but generally speaking elections in the US just come down to 'which side is more pissed off this year'.
hillary clinton had zero chance in any conceivable version of reality of ever winning the 2016 election - not only because obama had just been president for 8 years so it was the republican's turn, but the republicans had one of the greatest (from a campaign standpoint) party candidates since the modern incarnation of the GOP has existed.

it's not interesting to discuss because it's a non-issue... 2016 was the new common trend in US elections: the democrats had more votes and still lost because it was the republican's turn.
(and because the electoral college is fucking stupid)

I think it's worth bringing up cancel culture and woke. Today the left control the public discourse to the point where we can bully anybody out of a platform.
1. no it isn't, because it doesn't exist.
2. no they don't.
3. that a laughably pathetic farce of an assertion to make on both fronts.

'the left' does not control the public discourse whatsoever - every media outlet and major public source for news or information in the US is significantly right-leaning, and every major topic within the cultural zeitgeist is strictly framed within the right's terms and the right's framework for the discussion.
also, 'bully out of a platform' is a nonsense phrase because it doesn't mean anything, and it doesn't exist. there is no system in the US where such a thing could even happen.
sure you might sometimes have public outcry resulting in a given outlet deciding that its perception of its own public image is more important than the employment status of a single individual, but making any more of it than that is delusional.

We are threatening free speech. It is a real problem today.
no we aren't, and no it isn't.
freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence to speech, nor guarantee of employment in the face of speech.

Didn't Bob Dylan say something like, How many lies can a liar tell, before you call him a LIAR?
Trump is a degenerate, independent of any factor of news coverage, political contentions, editorial statements, or stump speeches. No one with common, middle-range judgment of human behavior should miss the signs of his degeneracy. You don't need commentators to tell you that or "color the news." All you need is a raw feed of Trump talking or the text of a Trump tweet. I watched him in early 2012 tell the country that we "wouldn't believe" what his investigators were turning up in Hawaii about Obama's birth certificate, and I knew right then that Trump was a degenerate and a dangerous demogogue. If you don't know in January 2021 that President Trump is a degenerate, then you are brainwashed. He is the enemy of the people -- he proved it yesterday (again).

If you don't know in January 2021 that President Trump is a degenerate, then you are brainwashed.
i have to respectfully disagree with this, because it assumes two things:
1. that what trump is doing and saying is degenerate.
2. that one recognizes what trump is doing and saying as degenerate and find that objectionable.

the suggestion that to not consider him degenerate denotes brainwashing is dangerously naive, because the reality is that nearly all people who support trump see what he's doing for what it actually is (ie, are not believing some patent falsehood about the actual reality of his actions) and duly praise it for being the highest works of their moral values.

Yeah, it's a funny quote. I also agree with Colbert. But that's because I'm a liberal. I still want quality conservative press.
Absolutely not! We don't want liberal or conservative presses. We want a press. Where can one get the best conservative commentary? NPR, where conservatives are represented and discuss issues. The "conservative press" consists of the biased Wall Street Journal and Fox News and then the whacko AM Radio stations and OANN. There is no liberal equivalent to AM Radio and OANN in America.

All news reporting will be biased. I prefer knowing the bias upfront. Rather than having to guess.

A lack of quality Conservative press makes liberals dumber, because we get less opportunities to work on our arguments. Everybody gets dumber without opposition

Why is that a problem for democracy, if, as you correctly say, "quality fact checked news is quality news, no matter if it's leftist or conservative."

The problem for democracy isn't the absence of right-leaning "quality fact checked news", it's the presence of right-wing sources that deliberately twist the facts or outright lie to their consumers. And it's those very sources that prevent any right-leaning "quality fact checked news" outlet from ever seeing the light of day.

Leftwing press also twists the truth. Two articles on the same thing can contain the same facts, while presenting them in different ways to make radically arguments. Facts need context to make sense.

I disagree.

Its a shame that Conservatives are more likely to be tin foil hat Red pullers. But the left have our own in that club. All Communists, for instance.

Back
Top Bottom