• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

In prison, why do Christians vastly outnumber atheists?

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
Interesting numbers were released not too long ago:
There were 139,002 people in the U.S. federal prison system last year, and exactly 143 of them identified as atheists. Those self-described atheists made up a mere 0.1% of the federal prison population.

When examining the population at large in the U.S., there might be many more atheists, like 10% or so. Even 1% would be 10 times the percent as in prison. One of several studies has the US number around 4%. So one must wonder why are Christians (and other religionists) so much more frequently in prison than atheists who are vastly under-represented.

I'll offer explanations of this by breaking down some combinations of things into categories. Suppose, for example, the numbers are false. Why might that be? On the other hand, suppose the numbers are true. Let's break that possibility down into reasons intrinsically related and extrinsically related to religiosity/Christianity or atheism.

1. The numbers are false:
We've noted in other threads that with greater freedom comes more ability to be atheist or to self-identify as atheist. In prison, there is certainly less freedom. The institutional pressure of religion gives advantages and disadvantages based upon religiosity. So, for example, turning to religious conversion is thought to reduce recidivism even though it isn't true at all. Atheists may also be looked down upon and targeted by guards and prison population at large.​
2. The numbers are true:
a. Intrinsic
It may be that there are more immoral and/or hypocrites among Christians and other religious groups than there are among atheists. If we look closely at Christianity we can observe that being "saved" is prioritized over being immoral, i.e. irrational faith and that one can ask for forgiveness for immorality. In fact, being saved washes away the sin, at least in protestant faiths. In Catholicism, confession and other religious rites also act as redemptive. Being "saved" vs being moral are almost like dual systems of ethics running simultaneously within Christianity and may create more opportunity for hypocrisy and contradictory behavior.​
Here is a related study.​
Compared to atheism, an atheist trying to live a moral life, will formulate an ethical system devoid of this bizarre duality. To add-life is not a simulation to an atheist. Actions within a lifetime might matter far more as they cannot simply be washed away by adhering to an irrational value called faith or an afterlife.​
b. Extrinsic
Perhaps this is a case of correlation. We observe that religiosity is correlated to poverty. We observe that prison is also correlated to poverty. Poverty is of course related to all other kinds of things like education and opportunity.​
povertyatheism.PNG

Thoughts?

Last edited:
In the US, self identifying atheists are relatively rare, and overwhelmingly belong to the privileged classes - white, male, comparatively wealthy, third generation or more. They are far less likely to be arrested in the first place, and if they are convicted of a crime, their sentencing is apt to be light, so they aren't going to make as much of a splash in data from federal prisons.

I can't help questioning the methodology.
Prison inmates asked to check a box on a form are unlikely to be doing a deep dive into their beliefs. Was there even a box marked "apatheist"? I'm guessing "I vaguely identify with a denomination, but I don't really care." wasn't an option.
Tom

I suspect most of them are taking up Pascal’s wager. They don’t really believe in anything like God, but just in case … might as well check the box if there’s any chance that doing so will save them from eternal torture.

Reactions: DBT
In the US, self identifying atheists are relatively rare, and overwhelmingly belong to the privileged classes - white, male, comparatively wealthy, third generation or more. They are far less likely to be arrested in the first place, and if they are convicted of a crime, their sentencing is apt to be light, so they aren't going to make as much of a splash in data from federal prisons.
That might be true, but where I live, most of the atheists I know are female, either middle class or poor. Some are college grads, but some are high school grads as well. There is also a group in Atlanta known as the Black Non Believers of Atlanta. I've met quite a few of them. They were all women and I'd hardly call them members of the privileged class. Atlanta Freethought Society might have more male members although I've never done a head count. Some of them are very poor, a few have a phd but most are high school or college grads without advanced degrees. The group in a town about 30 miles from me is largely white, middle or upper middle class. That group meets your description, but it's not been my experience that most atheists fit that group's demographics. I've been a member or an occasional visitor to at least 6 different organized atheist groups in Georgia and my experience is that we are a very diverse group, when it comes to race and economic class. The most openly atheist person I know is a white female with a high school degree, who is in the lower economic class. I've yet to meet an atheist in any of these groups who has been arrested, although some of them do use weed, which is still illegal in Georgia. It's not enforced much anymore from what I can tell. Sure, this is based on my anecdotal experiences, but I doubt most of the atheist posters here even fit your description. Maybe the bad ass atheists don't join our groups. :unsure:

I think a lot of prisoners might act religious as they think they will get more respect. Prisoners work in our local senior center, although I refer to them as the maintenance crew. A lot of them wear crosses around their necks. Then again, we are in the Bible Belt, so draw your own conclusions on that. I do wish they were paid for their labor, more than the pittance they receive, but on the other hand, I think they enjoy being around a bunch of polite respectful seniors compared to sitting in a cell all day. But, I digress.

Yah, I agree this should be added. Atheism is higher among people who check off wealthy/comfortable, white, male, educated.

And all of those are also markers for “less likely to be caught when you break the law,” and “less likely to get convicted if youget caught” and “less likely to go to prison if you get convicted.”

And I don’t think the difference is trivial.

In addition,
The institutional pressure of religion gives advantages and disadvantages based upon religiosity
A part of this is that there are benefits in prison that are given to the religious; additional activities, visits and freedoms. A person may check the box to be eligible for those extra activities, pastor visits or opportunities to sit in a group with others. Not to mention that when seeking early release or parole, prisoners may feel that being religious is necessary to appeal to the board. And they may be entirely right.

But I also feel that it is entirely possible that the way atheists decide on morals does indeed produce less criminality.

Again, back to what atheist means and was there an actual reliable poll and interview of a statistically significant number?

I think if you ask an average person if they are atheist the question means are you Christian or not?

Ideological atheists can have their own bias and propaganda. Reconfigure self and group identity.

And may identify as Christian meaning a vague belief in Jesus and god, but have no religious convictions.

Career criminals, in the aggregate, are dumb. Make that dumbbbbbbb. I don't think they're shopping much in the marketplace of ideas, especially the philosophy wing. They essentially haven't grown up and assessed their place in the human world. Most of them are heaviest into crime in their twenties. Only the truly, irreversibly dumb are still at that career in their thirties.
Then there's Susan Atkins Syndrome. Imagine you were Susan Atkins, in the slammer for good, because, for starters, you watched your first victim bleed out for 2 days; then you were in a home invasion where you stabbed one victim, then held down a pregnant woman, and ultimately stabbed her because you were, quote, "sick of listening to her pleading and begging." So, given your history, if you want to present a different face to the American public (and the parole board), it's time to write a book (Child of Satan, Child of God) and hurry on over to Jesus. That's a more comforting story than, "I've reformed, and, oh, I reject religion, so morals are simply the rules of group living and sometimes relative to one's culture." She didn't get sprung anyway, but she gave it the old Manson Academy try.

One wonders at those in prison who are self identifying as atheists? What were their crimes? Succumbing to the lure of easy money dope dealing? Or violent crime like bank robbery?

Prison guards, administrators, and fellow inmates are likely to be displeased if someone denies being religious, perhaps even subjecting the atheist to special therapy. If I were in prison I think I'd lie to such a question as self-defense. Is lying when ticking a box on such a questionnaire supposed to be a moral failing?

A doctor's certificate is needed to apply for a driver's license here in Thailand. I was handed the application partly filled-out already; the clerk had already inked a click in the "Christian" box -- automatically because I was a foreigner from USA? It never occurred to me ask for white-out to move the check to "Other".

Malaysia's stance on religion is mixed. They are a Sunni-Muslim country but tolerate Christianity, Sikhism, etc. etc. (But Shi'ite Islam is illegal?!) However I once read about an atheist in Malaysia having legal trouble (unable to marry?) because he was an atheist -- Residents were REQUIRED to have some religion.

I can't help questioning the methodology.
Prison inmates asked to check a box on a form are unlikely to be doing a deep dive into their beliefs. Was there even a box marked "apatheist"? I'm guessing "I vaguely identify with a denomination, but I don't really care." wasn't an option.
Tom

You can follow the first link. There is a link to data there, perhaps at end of its page.

I think there is plenty of reason to feign religiosity if incarcerated. And if you are incarcerated in a U.S. prison the religion should be christian. That's the one that's going to give you the most advantage. Why make your life more difficult than it already is? White collar criminals come out of their sentences served and make big bucks writing about their having met Jesus while behind bars. Hypocrisy or good business?

Prison is probably a lot like "Lord of the Flies." Maybe Golding's book should be required reading if incarcerated.

I think there is plenty of reason to feign religiosity if incarcerated. And if you are incarcerated in a U.S. prison the religion should be christian. That's the one that's going to give you the most advantage. Why make your life more difficult than it already is? White collar criminals come out of their sentences served and make big bucks writing about their having met Jesus while behind bars. Hypocrisy or good business?

Prison is probably a lot like "Lord of the Flies." Maybe Golding's book should be required reading if incarcerated.
Well said.

Social hierarchical power structures evolve in prison like anywhere else. One goes along to get along.

I have met people who said religion turned their lives around, it does happen.

Prison is nothing remotely like Lord of the Flies.
For that matter, nor is the reality of human behaviour in the scenario depicted by Lord of the Flies.
Also true. Crisis anthropologists have a fair bit of antipathy for the work, I have observed in conversation.

But prison is different for different reasons. Self-organization is a natural action, but a rare indulgence for the average American prisoner.

Self-organization is a natural action, but a rare indulgence for the average American prisoner.
Indeed; Prisoners are not generally allowed to decide for themselves what to do at any given moment.

And the formation of hierarchies and even effective interpersonal relationships between prisoners is generally seen by prison authorities as a threat, so any such hierarchies and relationships tend to be broken up if they become too obvious.

Plotting an escape or a riot is far harder for people who cannot establish themselves as a cohesive body, and transferring "ringleaders" or "troublemakers" to break up any such organisation is a routine practice.

And the formation of hierarchies and even effective interpersonal relationships between prisoners is generally seen by prison authorities as a threat, so any such hierarchies and relationships tend to be broken up if they become too obvious.
Well, it depends. Not every prison is maximum security.

But they are always being monitored.

(I've been knee deep in security stuff lately, as a program I'm working with wants to expand its reach in two of the state prisons, but Sam Hill is it a process...)

Thoughts?
I've discussed the issue of the apparent underrepresentation of atheists in prison with at least one Christian who said he'd worked in prison ministry. He didn't agree with the number showing very few atheists in prison saying that there are actually a lot of atheists in prison. Yes, there may be a lot of Christians in jail, but that's largely a result of their having converted to Christianity while incarcerated. The implication is that many convicted criminals were atheists or weakly religious at the time they committed their crimes and became strongly Christian in prison.

Back
Top Bottom