• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

In what ways is modern society deluded?

rousseau

Contributor
As society progresses we're in a continual process of over-coming certain types of delusional and back-ward thinking. So I wonder:

In 200-300 years, what will society look back on in the 21st century and realize that we had it completely wrong?

In 200-300 years they (robots) will look back an realize that you were deluded to think that there will be a society in 200-300 years.

In 200-300 years they (robots) will look back an realize that you were deluded to think that there will be a society in 200-300 years.

I guess this is one of the ways that modern society is deluded ;).

As society progresses we're in a continual process of over-coming certain types of delusional and back-ward thinking. So I wonder:

In 200-300 years, what will society look back on in the 21st century and realize that we had it completely wrong?

That our power sources would last so to have our society fully dependent on them was not an issue.

Or they might look to Mecca five times a day and merely act like robots.

Last edited:
- Religion
- prejudice against minority groups
- dependance on fossil fuels
- general stupidity (after all the average IQ in 20 years time would be 140 odd)
- our attitude towards risk
- pollution

Add to the list the fact that almost any adult could become a parent. No education or other qualifications needed. In the future parents would need to do courses to become and stay a parent. If you fail to do the courses then the parents would be supervised very closely.

Also what is this concept of privacy? That will not exist in the future.

A contrarian view

In 200-300 years, the 21st century will be regarded with the same sort of rosy nostalgia as the Roman Empire at its height was remembered in the Dark Ages that followed its collapse...

That our power sources would last so to have our society fully dependent on them was not an issue.

I don't know if this is so much delusion, as much as it is a lack of foresight.

I can't see that far. Everything goes dark after 2019 when I see Queen Hillary I crowned and she launches simultaneous invasions of Canada and Mexico to begin the expansion of her empire.

I can't see that far. Everything goes dark after 2019 when I see Queen Hillary I crowned and she launches simultaneous invasions of Canada and Mexico to begin the expansion of her empire.

Canada for the water we have, and other minerals. But why Mexico? Minerals? You need more cheap labour? Sunny beaches? After all, the cocaine comes from Peru and Colombia and their gangs are not as bloodthirsty as Mexico's, not yet.:)

Back to OP, I think the complete non understanding of and minimal attempts to deal with

carbon,
the sixth extinction,
not understanding Russia as thinking they are the inheritors of the Roman Empire - they do want to reconquer Constantinople - Crimea is step one,
not understanding that the issues with Islam is because it is in its death throes,
not understanding US gun attitudes are racist to keep the niggas down,

basically not thinking things through and acting on what is known, but making things worse, for example with this religious worship of the free market.

not understanding Russia as thinking they are the inheritors of the Roman Empire - they do want to reconquer Constantinople - Crimea is step one,
We don't want to fight, but by Jingo if we do,
We've got the ships, we've got the men, we've got the money too,
We've fought the Bear before, and while we're Britons true,
The Russians shall not have Constantinople!
--McDermott and Hunt, 1878

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks!
--They Might be Giants, 1990

Or they might look to Mecca five times a day and merely act like robots.
Hmm, the only religion that creates magnetism.

Well, no.
Catholic churches have their altars at the East end of the church. At least the ones in Europe. Don't know if it applies to St Peter's in the Vatican. And strictly speaking many (??all) are built so that the long axis points in the direction of the sunrise on the day of the year designated as the day of the Saint after whom the church is named, and the altar is at the east end of that line.
Don't know about Orthodox churches.

Last edited:
Borders. The folks reading history books will be amazed at the lengths we are going to keep people fenced in or out of these imaginary lines we used to call countries.

Back
Top Bottom