• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Instant ramen thread

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
Does anyone have a favorite instant ramen or favorite way to doctor up instant ramen?

When I was younger, I used to buy the cheapest instant ramen from regular non-ethnic grocery stores, then get really elaborate about doctoring them up.

These days, I hate to admit, but I often go to sushi places for fancy-pants ramen, and if I make ramen at home, it's usually the cup-ramen style because i just happen to be hungry but am too lazy to make anything. I keep stacks of Korean instant cup-ramen in my pantry for just such occasions.

Yes, there are a variety of really nice Japanese or Chinese instant ramen available. I especially like some of those glass noodle instant soups from the Chinese supermarkets, but Korean has become my favorite. I usually go for varieties that are spicy enough to break a sweat, but not face-melting, although my absolute favorite is Shin Black by Nongshim which doesn't always cause a sweat.

Anyway, do you have any favorite ways of doctoring up instant ramen, or a favorite brand or style?

I have pretty much burned out on ramen. I am supposed to medically, avoid salt and the flavor packets of ramen are loaded with it. What I used to really like were the instant won ton soups usually found next to the ramen display, but though it seems that if google is correct it is still available, they ain't in any store near me. Instead, I have been eating grits. Quick, easy and I only use butter, and not much more. Occasionally just pasta, such as egg noodles or tortellini with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Or sometimes, Rice-a-roni with onion.

won-ton-soup.jpg

I get these. 69 cents a piece at the regular grocery store. I throw away the veggie packet because it's crap.

a8b115c1-5305-4695-88ae-bbe29f7e47c6_1.874b7a2db40de8eae7410f113462086d.jpg

I add fried wonton strips after cooking. Quick and easy, but certainly not healthy.

I get these. 69 cents a piece at the regular grocery store. I throw away the veggie packet because it's crap.

View attachment 18853

I add fried wonton strips after cooking. Quick and easy, but certainly not healthy.

LOL, you throw away the bit that is a tiny bit redeeming. ^.^

"Chicken flavor" never fails to make me crack up.

I remember when instant ramen started showing up in the western supermarkets (other than on-base commissaries). At first I was amazed that Japanese instant ramen would turn up in such a place, then I went down the aisle reading the flavors: "Chicken, beef, what the fuck is 'oriental' flavor'? And where the fuck is the ramen-flavored ramen?"

Now instant yakisoba is starting to show up in Western grocery stores, and it's the same thing: "Wait! Where the fuck is the yakisoba-flavored yakisoba? What the fuck is wrong with those marketing people?"

Alex French Guy Cooking had a hilarious series of videos on instant ramen.

Apparently he loves instant ramen and became obsessed with figuring out how to make instant ramen at home. I may have to try that blackened garlic oil some time.

Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLURsDaOr8hWXGHjXPa3nTFZnbqJcAfs4N

9 videos, 7 minutes to 11 minutes in length.

- - - Updated - - -

I mostly use really dark sesame oil, which according to Alex is boring. :p

When I was a bachelor, prior to my marriage, I ate ramen noodles obsessively. I would cook them, then drain out all the water, and just pack the noodles in a big sticky glob into my gob. You gotta realize, I was usually very drunk then. I'd get wickedly drunk, then snarf.

When I was a bachelor, prior to my marriage, I ate ramen noodles obsessively. I would cook them, then drain out all the water, and just pack the noodles in a big sticky glob into my gob. You gotta realize, I was usually very drunk then. I'd get wickedly drunk, then snarf.

At times like that I usually make spaghetti + butter + parmesan + lots of giardiniera.

Quick, dirty, spicy, cheesy. Everything you want when you're drunk or tired and none of the fuss.

Alex French Guy Cooking had a hilarious series of videos on instant ramen.

Apparently he loves instant ramen and became obsessed with figuring out how to make instant ramen at home. I may have to try that blackened garlic oil some time.

Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLURsDaOr8hWXGHjXPa3nTFZnbqJcAfs4N

9 videos, 7 minutes to 11 minutes in length.

- - - Updated - - -

I mostly use really dark sesame oil, which according to Alex is boring. :p

Great set of videos. Thanks for posting.

I'm another huge fan of ramen.

There is nothing you can do.

I make spaghetti and keep it in the refrigerator. Microwave and season, soy or teriyaki, beef or chicken bouillon. Add frozen corn and peas. Take it to work. I think it is actually cheaper than Ramen.

I cook the ramen (we call them 2 minute noodles here) in a saucepan by covering up the noodles withneater and add the flavour sachet and some frozen mixed vegetables and let it all cook down until almost all the liquid is gone. I will then crack and beat an egg and pour it into the cooked ramen and stir until mixed. It makes a bit of a sauce for them.

However, I will admit, I haven’t had 2 minute noodles for years!

My favorite instant ramen is shin ramen or mama noodle (silver bag)

Been living off this since I was a child and still going strong (45 now)

Back
Top Bottom