• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Crypto dying or just dropping for the moment?

It is sounding like a video game.

I'm not an expert in economics.

As I see at the end of day the only value of currency is in what you can buy with it.
You can buy anything with bitcoin that you could buy with any other foreign currency.

You can't buy potatoes in Idaho or Washington with euros, but that doesn't make the euro valueless or useless.
I I go to a storeand potatoes are in dollars/pound or euros/kilogram.

Comparing dollars to euros we can assess relative value in terms of local buyng power.

I'd think bitcoins are useless unless it is valued relative to a state currency.
OK. And are they?
I have 100 bitcouns, how do I buy something withit?

How much is $1 US in bitcoin?

0.000059633 BTC

1 USD = 0.000059633 BTC Nov 12, 2022 04:39 UTC
Yes, according to you, they are.

A claimed benefit was transparency and traceability of global trasactions. The idea was it would be impoosible for organized crime to move money around.

That did not work out.

Like many I use a credit card for daily purchasing, and I pay it off every month.

Credit cards and debit cards as well have a degree of fraud protection. If you buy online with crypto and it is bogus you are probably shit out of luck.

As the ecoonomy improves and inflation drops bank CDs and money markets are a generally safe way to get some relief from inflation.

Investing in the stock market in the long run is the best way to make money and beat inflation.

No FDIC on funny money.
There is no reason there couldn't be. It's just a matter of regulation.
No reason? How would it even work? Would the insurer own real Bitcoins to make good on exchange losses? Would the insurer promise to redeem Bitcoins at some dollar price? (I suppose there are Bitcoin Put options already.)
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

If a bank gets robbed by Bonnie and Clyde, insurance or the bank covers certain amount of savings in $ or € or other currencies. All I'm saying is that there's no reason why it couldn't work exactly the same way with bitcoin. How the insurance works is immaterial.

One of the problems with bitcoin et al is exchanges and the like. Almost weekly I read about some hack, enbezzlement, or collapse costing millions or more. Virtual currencies draw theives like over ripe bananas draw fruit flies.

No FDIC on funny money.
No reason? How would it even work? Would the insurer own real Bitcoins to make good on exchange losses? Would the insurer promise to redeem Bitcoins at some dollar price? (I suppose there are Bitcoin Put options already.)

If a bank gets robbed by Bonnie and Clyde, insurance or the bank covers certain amount of savings in $ or € or other currencies. All I'm saying is that there's no reason why it couldn't work exactly the same way with bitcoin. How the insurance works is immaterial.
Yea, but in exchange for the FDIC insurance, the banks have to follow rigorous regulations and laws.

One question I have about crypto currency.

say a bitcoin is worth $1,200 at the moment. I want to buy something with it that costs $159. How is change handled?!? Can you have a fraction of a coin?

One question I have about crypto currency.

say a bitcoin is worth $1,200 at the moment. I want to buy something with it that costs $159. How is change handled?!? Can you have a fraction of a coin?
Yes. It's just a decimal number and the smallest unit is "satoshi", which is 0.00000001 bitcoin. I suppose the system can be updated to be able to handle even smaller fractions in the future, if bitcoin value becomes ridiculously large.

Due to transaction fees, it's actually really hard to own "one bitcoin". You almost always have something like 1.00497 or 0.99997 in your wallet.

Jebus... makes the S&L scandal look quaint.

Who'd think an unregulated system for funny money would be so volatile.
The problems arise when cryptonites try to do things that are usually done by highly regulated institutions. FTX and its uncountable number of subsidiaries tried to be an investment bank and use other people's cryptocurrency as if it were regular money. National banking regulators such as the Federal Reserve and the Bank of England work very hard to keep their currency stable.

Crypto, by its very nature is volatile. A crypto bank can very easily wake up one morning to discover the value of its assets have dropped by double digit percentages. It's all very predictable. The things like European wars, Brexit, and a rise in the price of oil, are what national banks try to anticipate and act accordingly. When the smoke clears, I'm sure we'll find the root cause of all of this is the people in charge simply didn't know what they were doing.

It sounds a lot like a pyramid scheme. It is interesting that my Firefox browser says it inhibits crypto mining.

It is also not green. A cmpany wanted to buy a shut down natural gas power plant to power a crypto miming operation.

It appers that as crypti grows the CPU time grows and enrgy demnd grows. It is not a fixed bounded opertion.

As of August 2022, published estimates of the total global electricity usage for crypto-assets are between 120 and 240 billion kilowatt-hours per year, a range that exceeds the total annual electricity usage of many individual countries, such as Argentina or Australia.Sep 8, 2022

To verify transactions, Bitcoin requires computers to solve ever more complex math problems. This proof of work consensus mechanism is drastically more energy-intensive than many people realize.May 18, 2022

People don't trust banks and governments but trust crypto companies with no oversight, transparency, and accountability.

You are better off buying gold and burying it in the back yard.

It sounds a lot like a pyramid scheme. It is interesting that my Firefox browser says it inhibits crypto mining.

It is also not green. A cmpany wanted to buy a shut down natural gas power plant to power a crypto miming operation.

It appers that as crypti grows the CPU time grows and enrgy demnd grows. It is not a fixed bounded opertion.

As of August 2022, published estimates of the total global electricity usage for crypto-assets are between 120 and 240 billion kilowatt-hours per year, a range that exceeds the total annual electricity usage of many individual countries, such as Argentina or Australia.Sep 8, 2022

To verify transactions, Bitcoin requires computers to solve ever more complex math problems. This proof of work consensus mechanism is drastically more energy-intensive than many people realize.May 18, 2022

People don't trust banks and governments but trust crypto companies with no oversight, transparency, and accountability.

You are better off buying gold and burying it in the back yard.
The first time someone explained bitcoin to me, my first thought was it was either a Ponzi scheme or a Bubble. Now I think crypto is actually both.

No FDIC on funny money.

I'm not sure why you didn't understand what I am talking about. :)

Banks pay premiums to an entity backed by an entity with great financial strength (the same entity, BTW, which prints the Benjamins in which restitution is made). That is how FDIC works.
Bitcoin deposits are not operated by banks — nor by anything else — this is the "beauty" of Bitcoin, at least in the eyes of some beholders.

"How the insurance works is immaterial" ?? Can you at least give us a clue? WHO is paying premiums to WHOM? Is the restitution made in the insured coin? Can you agree that "work exactly the same way" is at best an . . . exaggeration?

No FDIC on funny money.

I'm not sure why you didn't understand what I am talking about. :)

Banks pay premiums to an entity backed by an entity with great financial strength (the same entity, BTW, which prints the Benjamins in which restitution is made). That is how FDIC works.
Bitcoin deposits are not operated by banks — nor by anything else — this is the "beauty" of Bitcoin, at least in the eyes of some beholders.

"How the insurance works is immaterial" ?? Can you at least give us a clue? WHO is paying premiums to WHOM? Is the restitution made in the insured coin? Can you agree that "work exactly the same way" is at best an . . . exaggeration?
I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario where banks would provide a custodial service to its customers to hold their bitcoin (or other crypto) for them. Basically what all crypto exchanges do already now. (Except that they don't have any insurance, so it's insane to keep your bitcoin in the exchanges for any longer duration of time.)

For the customer, it would be just another account, just "bitcoin" as the currency instead of dollar, euro, or yen.

For the bank, it would be just handling digital numbers just like with regular currencies. They'd need to have the actual bitcoin in some cold wallet and need to keep that secure, but that would not be specific to any customer. It's like money in a bank vault.

From insurance point of view, it'd mean that if someone does nick the keys and steals the actual bitcoin, or if there is a fire at and all the keys and their backups gets destroyed, the bank still owes its customers the bitcoin which it now has to buy back at market price. To avoid non-payment in case of bankruptcy, there would need to be enough funds reserved somewhere to do this. Either by the bank itself, or the insurer.

There is nothign fundamentally preventing banks from dealing with bitcoin exactly the same way they do with other currencies, if there was demand for it. Right now it seems banks are hesitant because of the lack of regulation and high volatility.

OK. With FDIC the bank is the money's custodian and the insurEE; insurance is against failure OF THAT BANK. The insuror is a "firm" with unrivaled financial strength.

In your scenario, bank is both custodian AND insurOR. The custodian is guaranteeing his custody is secure. I think custody already comes with such a "guarantee"; the problem is that that guarantee doesn't protect against custodian's bankruptcy.

Considering various security problems, the chance that the ID(s) on the blockchain owned by the custodian are compromised (some enemy has the key) should not be ruled out! Bitcoin reserves might be drained quite quickly by even untalented criminals. Contrast this with. e.g. SWIFT where large illicit transactions are likely to be spotted and stopped. (SWIFT, like blockchain, is a reliable protocol in its own way .)

And anyone who commits to buying Coins at some unknown future price assumes great risk.

You guys ( Swammerdami & Jajay) must be crypto oracles or something cause FTX Trading Limited is looking like

i-dont-feel-so-good.gif

STX took daily user money and invested in risky ventures,. A regulated bank could never do that.

If rthe intent was a decentralized banking system crypto failed. It has a defacto central bank.

You guys ( Swammerdami & Jajay) must be crypto oracles or something cause FTX Trading Limited is looking like

View attachment 41117
Hey, I'm just interested in the tech. I have no clue if crypto is a good investment. :LOL:

I got some cryptos around somewhere but I take the attitude that it's worth nothing, and maybe will check again in decade or two.

View attachment 41117
Hey, I'm just interested in the tech. I have no clue if crypto is a good investment. :LOL:

I got some cryptos around somewhere but I take the attitude that it's worth nothing, and maybe will check again in decade or two.
Steve is correct. The FDIC would not allow a bank to make the crazy investment that FTX did. The comparison to 2009 is faulty. They crypto investments are gone. No recovery. Many of the bad loans from 2009 were paid back (often when the home sold or was foreclosed).

Back
Top Bottom