• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Georgia on your mind?

I don’t disagree. Just pointing out the titanic hypocrisy on display.

So you don't misunderstand me or my motives, I'm just the sort of person who takes implications and subdtlety and dissects it to a clear and painfully obvious deconstruction thereof. I will take an implication to it's ultimate ends. I will belabor a point to the point where even the most recalcitrant idiot will generally not be able to argue against it except by trying to change the subject (which I will generally identify and then come right back to the subject at hand).

More than anything, I seek universal clarity in communication.

The Dems didn't try to impeach Trump until he was in office for over two years. Greene wants to impeach Biden on day one. I wonder what she will use for a reason. I'm guessing it's something like Biden eats babies for lunch.

I read some of these Republican idiots have been referring to the "Biden crime family." The irony is overwhelming at times. I know my country has always been a bit fucked up, but I really never thought it would come to this.

The Dems didn't try to impeach Trump until he was in office for over two years. Greene wants to impeach Biden on day one. I wonder what she will use for a reason. I'm guessing it's something like Biden eats babies for lunch.

I read some of these Republican idiots have been referring to the "Biden crime family." The irony is overwhelming at times. I know my country has always been a bit fucked up, but I really never thought it would come to this.

You joke about that, but that's the actual payload of Q-Anon, and Pizzagate: that democrats are killing/raping/torturing babies so they can extract metabolized adrenaline from them. So, you may actually be correct

I actually wonder which posters here subscribe to such blood libel?

I don't think human society is anymore fucked up than it ever was. It's just that the older one gets the more one learns and experiences. If you were a lot younger you wouldn't even have this idiot on your radar because you wouldn't have heard about it. Other things were more important.

While we're still talking about Georgia, I need to mention that the nut job, Marjorie Greene has said she is going to file articles of impeachment against Joe Biden on the 21st. OMG! Georgia has a long way to go before it before it goes blue. In case anyone has forgotten Greene is the crazy woman who supports QAnon among other things. She is an embarrassment to Georgia.

Like most parts of the country, the more urban areas in Georgia are fairly progressive, while the more rural areas remain very conservative.

I remember lots of whining about the Democrats wanting to impeach Trump and overturn the 2016 election from the very beginning. This u?
Overturn the 2016?
I don't recall that.
The RIGHT kept trying to frame impeachment as an effort to get Hillary in the Oval Office, but they lied.

The actual discussions were festooned with warnings about, 'Yeah, but then you get Pence. You want Pence?'
So, no, nothing like 'overturning the election.'

While we're still talking about Georgia, I need to mention that the nut job, Marjorie Greene has said she is going to file articles of impeachment against Joe Biden on the 21st. OMG! Georgia has a long way to go before it before it goes blue. In case anyone has forgotten Greene is the crazy woman who supports QAnon among other things. She is an embarrassment to Georgia.

Like most parts of the country, the more urban areas in Georgia are fairly progressive, while the more rural areas remain very conservative.

I remember lots of whining about the Democrats wanting to impeach Trump and overturn the 2016 election from the very beginning. This u?
Overturn the 2016?
I don't recall that.
The RIGHT kept trying to frame impeachment as an effort to get Hillary in the Oval Office, but they lied.

The actual discussions were festooned with warnings about, 'Yeah, but then you get Pence. You want Pence?'
So, no, nothing like 'overturning the election.'
Even in the impeachment hearing this week I heard a Republican whine about Democrats wanting to “overturn the election”. Yes those words were used quite often by Republicans.

Ironic now that they want to do the exact thing they are accusing others of. Trump was the master at projection and so are his congressional followers it seems.

You joke about that, but that's the actual payload of Q-Anon, and Pizzagate: that democrats are killing/raping/torturing babies so they can extract metabolized adrenaline from them. So, you may actually be correct

I actually wonder which posters here subscribe to such blood libel?

I'm well aware that the QAnon idiots believe that, which is why I said that. :D Still, I think if she used that reason, she might be taken out of congress for reasons of insanity. Some of us in Georgia are still trying to figure out how this woman won her election. I've only been to Rome, Ga. twice in my life so I'm not very familiar with her district, but I assume it's an extremely Republican district. I know the Democratic opponent dropped out before the election but he never had a chance of winning in that district. I do wonder how she won her primary. By the time the election took place, she was running unopposed.

How a Libertarian Handed the Democratic Party the Senate Majority - YouTube by Let's Talk Elections

Argues that the Libertarian was a spoiler in the ordinary Senate election in Georgia last year.

Georgia Election Results 2020 - The New York Times

CandidatePartyVotesPct
David Perdue*Republican2,462,61749.7
Jon OssoffDemocratic2,374,51947.9
Shane HazelLibertarian115,0392.3
(Write-Ins)265<0.1
(Total)4,952,440100

This is a good showing by Libertarian standards, and it was enough to push the election into a runoff and to keep DP from winning in the general election. That is because Libertarians are right-leaning, meaning that they thus take more votes from Republicans than Democrats.

Georgia Senate Election: County Map and Results - The New York Times

And as SH points out, the 50% rule was to keep blacks from winning in the first place. So the party vote split and the runoff were both own goals.

Now, we should note that Purdue was an asshole and guilty of some stuff, so he also owns some of the blame for people going third party.

And the Georgia legislature is attempting to reinstitute Jim Crow as we have our discussion. Gotta love those republican racists. Can't blame them, however, they have no other choice than to disenfranchise voters if they intend to keep their power.

Anybody know what's happening about that election fraud phone call?
[MENTION=448]southernhybrid[/MENTION];
Tom

There hasn't been an update since early February.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/fultons-da-opens-criminal-investigation-into-trump-demand-to-overturn-election/YWJPS4B4BREHDLHQCZYDDWBVIA/

This letter is notice that the Fulton County District Attorney has opened an investigation into attempts to influence the administration of the 2020 Georgia General Election,” Willis wrote in correspondences delivered Wednesday morning to Raffensperger, Gov. Brian Kemp, Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan and Attorney General Chris Carr.

That was on Feb. 10th, but you know how long these investigations can take, so I guess we will have to be patient.

And the Georgia legislature is attempting to reinstitute Jim Crow as we have our discussion. Gotta love those republican racists. Can't blame them, however, they have no other choice than to disenfranchise voters if they intend to keep their power.

Very true, but there are something like 40 states that are trying to make voting more difficult. It's disgusting. Kemp has not said yet whether or not he will sign any of these bills into law, which surprises me a bit. I will be very surprised if he doesn't sign most of this crap. Let me check to see the latest this morning.

The following came out a few hours ago. I haven't followed all of the most recent posts in this thread, so y'all might already know these details.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/capitol-recap-voting-still-the-prime-issue-of-georgia-legislative-session/IEMS6JR5N5DCTJAORXY3NMFT3Y/

Lawmakers in 43 states are considering over 250 bills that would increase restrictions on voting, according to the Brennan Center for Justice, a policy institute at New York University, and Georgia can count itself as a national leader with dozens of such bills in the works.

Here's a summary of the things in the bill.

Limit Sunday voting to one optional Sunday in each county.
Restrict the use of ballot drop boxes by requiring them to be located inside early voting locations.
Require a driver’s license number, state ID number or copy of photo ID to vote absentee.
Set a deadline to request absentee ballots 11 days before election day
Disqualify provisional ballots cast in the wrong precinct.
Ban outside funding of elections from nonprofit organizations.
Prohibit governments from mailing unsolicited absentee ballot applications.
Create instant-runoff voting for military and overseas voters.
Schedule runoffs four weeks after election day rather than the current nine weeks.
Prevent free food and drinks for voters waiting in line to vote.
Restrict early voting buses to emergencies.

I don't get the food and drink thing. It's rare that voters are offered food and drinks, but it seems cruel to disallow people from giving away free drinks if the lines are very long.

The other really disgusting rule is banning outside funding of elections from nonprofit organizations. Not even sure what that means. Are they trying to attack Stacey Abrams? Her organizations didn't fund elections. They just helped and encouraged people to register to vote and to get out and vote. So, that one is confusing to me.

So far, Kemp hasn't said which of these things he will support. It's so hypocritical that Kemp kept saying that our elections are very secure, but then at the same time, we need to do something to bring trust back to our elections. Most of the people in Georgia don't have a problem with our elections. I just hope if these things pass, it will make Democrats so mad that it will motivate them even more to get out and vote.

Restrict the use of ballot drop boxes by requiring them to be located inside early voting locations.
Require a driver’s license number, state ID number or copy of photo ID to vote absentee.
Schedule runoffs four weeks after election day rather than the current nine weeks.

I don't get the food and drink thing.
It is to prevent a "free meal" for a vote scam. In theory, I can at least see it, however, it isn't particularly a thing that has shocked and awed our elections. What I can't see is how limiting Sunday voting prevents voter fraud.. or is remotely addressing voter fraud.

Want to make voter fraud hard... make voting in person as easy as possible as it is much harder to fake voting in person!!!

But we all know that their 'voter fraud' stuff is a cover for violating the right to vote.

It is to prevent a "free meal" for a vote scam. In theory, I can at least see it, however, it isn't particularly a thing that has shocked and awed our elections. What I can't see is how limiting Sunday voting prevents voter fraud.. or is remotely addressing voter fraud.

Want to make voter fraud hard... make voting in person as easy as possible as it is much harder to fake voting in person!!!

But we all know that their 'voter fraud' stuff is a cover for violating the right to vote.

It's to prevent people waiting in line for long periods in defiance of the laws designed to make sure that that's the only way to vote.

What's the point of making voting difficult for Democrats, if the bastards are just going to overcome those difficulties and vote anyway? See how happy they are to wait in line for hours without food or water. If that doesn't work, maybe they can mandate that voters must line up in the full sun without hats. Or that those waiting to vote must carry a rock weighing at least forty pounds, and go to the back of the line if they put it down.

The only scam here is the attempt to scam people out of their votes if they don't vote for the correct party.

That was on Feb. 10th, but you know how long these investigations can take, so I guess we will have to be patient.

I'm good with that. Let the wheels of justice grind along slowly and quietly.

Any day without Trump in the headlines is like a day without a terrorist attack.

:)
Tom

The Sunday thing is obviously about trying to keep so many Black folks from voting. The expression "souls to the polls" is slang for Black Churches getting together after church and voting. I don't know anyone who does that, but it's probably a thing in some of the more rural heavily Black counties in Georgia. Yes. We do have a lot of Black folks who live in rural areas in parts of the state. Transportation is probably what makes it difficult for some of them to vote during the week, as many of the Black residents in rural areas are very poor and lack cars. I do hope that this will just make people so angry that they will find a way to vote anyway. Republicans know that about 95% of Black voters in Georgia are consistency Democrats, so its very easy to target them. When it comes to us White voters, they never really know how we vote. They also try to make it more difficult for college students to vote, since the assumption is that most very young voters tend to vote for the Democrats, although there are plenty who don't.

Before we had early voting, I had to vote in the large Methodist church on the corner of my street. They were giving away coffee and donuts. Will that be banned now?

Back
Top Bottom