• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Georgia on your mind?

spittle flying and wagged her finger at people would be called all sorts of ugly names.
I mean MTG and AOC both of them do both things and get as much flack for it as Bernie and get praise for it... As much as Bernie.

Obviously I find one far more fucking batshit insane than the other, but they both execute the same general behavioral pattern.

I wouldn't not vote for AOC. I would definitely not vote for MTG.

Also, YOU dislike Bernie for this bombasticity. You view yourself as rather "in the center-left" as far as I know.

So Bernie can't just get away with it.

spittle flying and wagged her finger at people would be called all sorts of ugly names.
I mean MTG and AOC both of them do both things and get as much flack for it as Bernie and get praise for it... As much as Bernie.

Obviously I find one far more fucking batshit insane than the other, but they both execute the same general behavioral pattern.

I wouldn't not vote for AOC. I would definitely not vote for MTG.

Also, YOU dislike Bernie for this bombasticity. You view yourself as rather "in the center-left" as far as I know.

So Bernie can't just get away with it.
Bernie does get away with it with a certain demographic: left leaning younger males.
I don’t like Bernie because he’s so bombastic—please look at the definition of bombastic. Not a good characteristic for an effective politician. Personal dislike aside: Bernie seems to me to be an ineffective opportunist, based on his history as a legislator and occasional democrat. Don’t get me wrong: I have nothing at all against 3rd party candidates—I’ve voted for my share. It took Trump to make me a permanent Democrat adherent. If I had thought Bernie would be a good POTUS, I would have voted for him. I sincerely do not. His age was not an advantage but 30 years ago, I would have felt the same.

AOC and MGT both are extremely good at commanding attention but bombastic? Maybe MGT but I think she’d need to stand on a pretty tall stepladder to reach bombastic. She’s just loud and uncouth and appeals to a certain group of prejudices, not espousing any actual policy or position except bigotry.

AOC is charming and articulate. She’s good at commanding attention, partially because she’s very attractive but also because she’s really smart and articulate. I’m sure I find her smart and articulate partially because I agree with much of her POV.

The thing is, I agre with most of Bernie’s positions. But his lack of demonstrated ability to achieve much of anything during his time as a legislator and his inability to form coalitions/partnerships prevented me from overcoming personal dislike and biting for him. Oh, I’ve voted for people I disliked before, if I thought they’d do a decent job or a better one than the other candidate.

I’m old enough that I’ve given up on the idea of a perfect candidate.

AOC and MGT both are extremely good at commanding attention but bombastic? Maybe MGT but I think she’d need to stand on a pretty tall stepladder to reach bombastic. She’s just loud and uncouth and appeals to a certain group of prejudices, not espousing any actual policy or position except bigotry.
Hence my point. You just don't see the bombasticity on account of them not having penises.

AOC is loud and angry and is all kinds of spicy.

Bernie is loud and angry and all kinds of spicy.

MTG is also frothing-at-the-mouth crazy, and perhaps this was by design by the people who positioned them for election as a counter to AOC to make them both seem crazy, as some kind of fun-house mirror with "both sides".

But nonetheless they fulfill the same general behavioral niche, with AOC recognizably playing a more "feminine" version of it.

In many ways, people don't see the bombasticity in AOC, or the reasoned positions behind Bernie. Bernie in some ways suffers from the fact that before social media, if you weren't saying what benefits those in media, the only way to talk about your position was to get on a soap box and talk about your position, loudly.

AOC does just as much of that but has different soapboxes. You predate a lot of the technology infrastructure, but to someone that grew up immersed in the transformation of society though technology, I am positioned to see that it's not really different, just presented with the volume and bombasticity pointed towards a different (less annoying) interface.

Hence my point. You just don't see the bombasticity on account of them not having penises.

MTG is also frothing-at-the-mouth crazy, and perhaps this was by design by the people who positioned them for election as a counter to AOC to make them both seem crazy, as some kind of fun-house mirror with "both sides".

But nonetheless they fulfill the same general behavioral niche, with AOC recognizably playing a more "feminine" version of it.

In many ways, people don't see the bombasticity in AOC, or the reasoned positions behind Bernie. Bernie in some ways suffers from the fact that before social media, if you weren't saying what benefits those in media, the only way to talk about your position was to get on a soap box and talk about your position, loudly.

AOC does just as much of that but has different soapboxes. You predate a lot of the technology infrastructure, but to someone that grew up immersed in the transformation of society though technology, I am positioned to see that it's not really different, just presented with the volume and bombasticity pointed towards a different (less annoying) interface.
I will confess: I rarely---very rarely watch news or politicians on television. I've only watched a few short clips of MGT on media and no, she's not bombastic. She's stupid and dishonest but not bombastic--in the clips I've seen. Same with Lauren Boebert.

AOC? I've seen her be angry but again, not bombastic. And again, I've only watched a tiny bit of her on TV. The clips I've seen have not been bombastic.

I'm willing to change my stance if I see clips that demonstrate your point.

I will confess: I rarely---very rarely watch news or politicians on television. I've only watched a few short clips of MGT on media and no, she's not bombastic. She's stupid and dishonest but not bombastic--in the clips I've seen. Same with Lauren Boebert.

AOC? I've seen her be angry but again, not bombastic. And again, I've only watched a tiny bit of her on TV. The clips I've seen have not been bombastic.

"If I see clips that demonstrate"

That's the thing about the generation gap. They aren't clips, they are tweets, posts, mentions, or whatever. The AOC thread is full of them, amplified through Lpetrich 's curation.

The fact that they say it using a different metaphorical mouth makes it no less as loud.

"If I see clips that demonstrate"

That's the thing about the generation gap. They aren't clips, they are tweets, posts, mentions, or whatever. The AOC thread is full of them, amplified through Lpetrich 's curation.

The fact that they say it using a different metaphorical mouth makes it no less as loud.
Ah. Perhaps it is generational but for me, it has absolutely nothing to do with what Sanders says--it has to do entirely with his tone of voice (and I love a New England accent!) as he shouts, the spittle flying, the finger wagging. He comes across as a cranky old man who is not interested in what anyone else has to say--period--and has not been for at least the last 50 years. At least during the debates and during most of the appearances I saw during that time period. Seeing him more recently, he comes across much differently, although still does not, to me, convey someone who is willing to actually listen. Don't get me wrong: I agree with almost everything he says--more so than with AOC. This is probably partially generational.

What I think AOC manages to do is to come across as someone you'd want to talk with at a bar or across the fence or over a cup of something or other. She's smart and she's pretty and she does not seem to have needed to sacrifice either her looks and charm or her intelligence in service of the other. I think one of the things I admire about her is that she's the first or one of the first women who have managed to do that. Hillary and Liz Warren both are extremely intelligent but have always had to walk this line where they could not show a feminine side. Oh, they could wear skirts or a nice, feminine pantsuit, and wear earrings and pearls but they could not toss their hair or....flirt (not in a sexual manner) with the camera or their interviewer or the audience. That is generational--women seeking power in any strata could not seem to be too much like a woman. Even today, I know young female doctors who are assumed to be nurses in a hospital setting. People who know where I worked assume I was a nurse. I am thrilled that AOC has managed to break that barrier that allows women to act like women, not like a version of a man, as though man were the standard all must achieve. I see AOC as more charming and deliberately charming, but without sacrificing the sharpness of her intellect. She is not stiff. Bernie is extremely stiff. That stiffness conveys an inflexibility, an inability to engage in the give/take that is necessary to be effective in politics--to me.

Edit to add: I should have mentioned Sarah Palin, who also managed to come across as quite feminine but not very smart. She embraced her femininity without being girly or passive aggressive.

I don't think many men realize how difficult it is for women to convey intelligence and competence without being seen as a bitch. Throw in pretty and it becomes even more difficult.

Last edited:
Okay. Let's get back to Georgia. :p

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/...RhVxI9kJtnMIG5-WGR7EQh2KMUDlFs&smid=share-url

ATLANTA — Herschel Walker, the Republican nominee for U.S. Senate in Georgia and an avowed abortion opponent, paid for his then-girlfriend to have an abortion in 2009, according to a report published Monday in The Daily Beast. Mr. Walker called the claim “a flat-out lie.”

The woman, who The Daily Beast said asked to remain anonymous out of privacy concerns, said that she and Mr. Walker had conceived the child while the two were dating, and mutually agreed not to go ahead with the pregnancy. She said Mr. Walker, who was not married at the time, reimbursed her for the cost of the procedure, the outlet reported.

As evidence, the woman provided a copy of a $700 check from Mr. Walker, a receipt from the abortion clinic and a “get well” card from Mr. Walker, The Daily Beast reported. The outlet published a photo of the card with what it said was Mr. Walker’s signature.
We already have MTG to embarrass my adopted state. Now we are on the verge of possibly getting another pathological liar, likely brain damaged man to become our next Senator. Hopefully, this won't be the case, but the polls have Walker and Warnock basically tied. 😡

And it sounds like one of his offspring, I use the term offspring because it doesn't sound like he was a "father", has had it and got into the ring. Via Twitter, but it seems legit. This will harm Walker probably by 0.2% of the vote. If you supported him up to this point... you probably have Dr. Oz watch your pets while you are on vacation.

And it sounds like one of his offspring, I use the term offspring because it doesn't sound like he was a "father", has had it and got into the ring. Via Twitter, but it seems legit. This will harm Walker probably by 0.2% of the vote. If you supported him up to this point... you probably have Dr. Oz watch your pets while you are on vacation.
I know. That's what's so frustration. I have no idea who put Walker up to running. I doubt it was his idea. It was likely some asshole Republicans who thought they could find a Black celebrity to run against a Black pastor, so they could say, "We're not racist". There are two Walker yard signs within a couple of miles from my home. Whenever I see them, all I can think is, you want to advertise that you support a dishonest, unqualified, brain damaged man to be our Senator!

There is a ray of hope. At least 15% of Georgia Republicans, according to polls, claim they will vote a split ticket, Kemp for governor and Warnock for Senator. I guess there are still some decent Republicans left in Georgia.

Right now, Walker's son is on MSNBC screaming about what a lying jerk is father is...........

Republicans in leadership positions are still claiming Walker would be better than Warnock. As my late mother in law frequently said, "God help us"! I always took that expression to mean, "We're fucked"!

I know. That's what's so frustration. I have no idea who put Walker up to running. I doubt it was his idea. It was likely some asshole Republicans who thought they could find a Black celebrity to run against a Black pastor, so they could say, "We're not racist". There are two Walker yard signs within a couple of miles from my home. Whenever I see them, all I can think is, you want to advertise that you support a dishonest, unqualified, brain damaged man to be our Senator!

There is a ray of hope. At least 15% of Georgia Republicans, according to polls, claim they will vote a split ticket, Kemp for governor and Warnock for Senator. I guess there are still some decent Republicans left in Georgia.

Right now, Walker's son is on MSNBC screaming about what a lying jerk is father is...........

Republicans in leadership positions are still claiming Walker would be better than Warnock. As my late mother in law frequently said, "God help us"! I always took that expression to mean, "We're fucked"!

I think it's more about vote shaving. Because elections are so close, all Republicans need to do is decrease the number of Democrats voting for their party's preferred choice. At least some black Democratic voters will switch their votes to Walker purely on the basis of name recognition and the fact that he was a major football star. Walker's race will be less likely to turn them off. And it's easy to contrast Walker's "macho" appeal against Warnock, a woke liberal black pastor who keeps the Senate Democratic. Walker will turn off a lot of white Republican voters because of his race, but they realize that he would be helping to hand the Senate back to Republican control.

I think it's more about vote shaving. Because elections are so close, all Republicans need to do is decrease the number of Democrats voting for their party's preferred choice. At least some black Democratic voters will switch their votes to Walker purely on the basis of name recognition and the fact that he was a major football star. Walker's race will be less likely to turn them off. And it's easy to contrast Walker's "macho" appeal against Warnock, a woke liberal black pastor who keeps the Senate Democratic. Walker will turn off a lot of white Republican voters because of his race, but they realize that he would be helping to hand the Senate back to Republican control.
I doubt that his race will turn off white voters, as both Senate candidates are Black. Black male voters in Georgia are already leaving the Democratic Party, but that has a lot to do with their dislike of Stacey Abrams or their satisfaction with Kemp.

It's all going to come down to turn out. It's rather disgusting to see so many national Republicans standing behind Walker, I don't remember who it was, but one of the Republican Congress critters said something like, regardless of how imperfect Walker is, we must upper him so we can end Biden's insane policies. WTF! I read in the AJC yesterday that Georgia Republicans in leadership positions, were backing away from Walker. I took that to mean that they will support him, but they will do it quietly. This election is gong to be, to quote a dear Black friend of mine said, "A big hot mess".

I doubt that his race will turn off white voters, as both Senate candidates are Black. Black male voters in Georgia are already leaving the Democratic Party, but that has a lot to do with their dislike of Stacey Abrams or their satisfaction with Kemp.

It's all going to come down to turn out. It's rather disgusting to see so many national Republicans standing behind Walker, I don't remember who it was, but one of the Republican Congress critters said something like, regardless of how imperfect Walker is, we must upper him so we can end Biden's insane policies. WTF! I read in the AJC yesterday that Georgia Republicans in leadership positions, were backing away from Walker. I took that to mean that they will support him, but they will do it quietly. This election is gong to be, to quote a dear Black friend of mine said, "A big hot mess".
The sting of hypocrisy would be a lot less if it weren't for the bloody late 90s and Kenneth Starr and all the bemoaning about immoral behavior and leading us to a nice Christian boy George W. Bush. 20 years later it becomes "fuck morality, winning at all costs is all that matters... also we must stop the immoral liberals!"

Well, Marjorie TG has convinced some of the craziest Republicans that Democrats want to kill them. WTF! One of my nicest neighbors is a Republican, and we've even had him and his wife over for dinner. We didn't even try to poison them. 😆 I"m so isolated from the craziest people in Georgia, that it blows my mind that these people even exist. But, as soon as we drive about 20 miles towards the more exurban counties, there are still Trump signs up along with religious signs, so I know they must exist.

Plus, there is one Trump sign still up in my town. The man who lives in the house looks to be about 85 years old. He nailed the sign to a tree so nobody could steal it. When I see older people supporting Republicans, I always wonder if they realize that the Republicans would love to kill SS and Medicare.

I didn't say that Walker's race would turn off all white voters, but it is obvious that race does play a big role in choices that voters make about who to vote for. I said that Walker's race would be less likely to turn off white voters, and that is especially true for the reasons that you've been listing. Republicans are not used to voting for black candidates, but this guy is a football legend. The vote shaving in this case is to use Walker's race and fame as a magnet to attract some black voters, especially the more conservative males with strong macho mentalities. Males won't necessarily be turned off by his misogynism and promiscuity. So I do think he'll get some crossover votes, which is what vote shaving is about.

Republican leaders know exactly what they are doing with Walker, but they don't want to talk about it. They know that he is a total disaster, but they seem to have gotten him more under control and kept him away from being exposed to interviews and debates. They are teaching him the nuances of conducting a stealth campaign. Republicans have learned a lot from Donald Trump about how to win campaigns while obviously lying to the voters. Americans are so used to it that they don't hold it against politicians that do it, if they are members of the political party that they favor.

Assume this is at best an idiot trying to sell complacency.

I hate to say it, but that poll seems to be an outlier. Most polls have Warnock ahead by 3-4 points. I'm hoping that the Republicans who say they will vote for Kemp but then crossover to Warnock are telling the truth. The adds here in Georgia are trying to make Warnock sound like a far left commie, but there is a wonderful Warnock add where he appears with a Republican Congressman who actually worked with Warnock to pass some legislation to help farmers. I don't remember the name of the Republican, but I do admire his courage to do the add.

Warnock is center left. He, like Stacey Abrams, is willing to work with Republicans to get things done. They both understand that compromise is the only way to pass legislation. Unfortunately, there aren't many Republicans who are willing to do that. And, I will ad that some of the Democrats on the left are just as bad.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/uga-po...-lead-over-abrams/DAY5A2E4WFCFJJELA3WHAL6ILE/

U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock and Republican Herschel Walker remain in a neck-and-neck race for the state’s wildly competitive Senate seat, according to a University of Georgia poll released Wednesday, while GOP Gov. Brian Kemp has a double-digit lead over Democrat Stacey Abrams.

The poll offers only a partial glimpse of the impact of reports that Walker paid for an ex-girlfriend’s abortion in 2009 despite his vows to ban the procedure. Only a handful of responses were collected after the publication of the allegations, which Walker has denied.

Still, the results underscore the challenge both candidates face to score an outright victory. The poll showed Warnock at 46% and Walker at 43%, within the margin of error of 3.1percentage points, joining other surveys that showed both hovering below the majority-vote mark needed to avoid a runoff. Libertarian Chase Oliver drew about 4% of support, while 6% were undecided.

The above is from an article in today's AJC. It's behind a paywall and the AJC doesn't permit subscribers to gift articles.

As with other recent surveys, the poll indicated a significant number of voters plan to split the vote between both parties. About 9% of Kemp’s voters back Warnock, and an additional 5% say they’ll vote for Oliver. About 4% are undecided. By contrast, only 1% of Abrams’ voters back Walker.

“I just feel like Raphael Warnock is a better candidate, even though he’s going to caucus with the Democrats,” said Blake Briese, a financial adviser in Fulton County who plans to back Kemp in the governor’s race. He’s concerned Walker, a former football star, isn’t “cut out for the task.”

I'm glad there are some decent Republicans who aren't willing to vote for such an unfit candidate as Walker. They might be the ones that put Warnock over the top.

Sadly, Abrams is running behind Kemp by double digits, if anyone here is interested in our governor's race. The Republicans have done an excellent job of lying about Abrams. Plus, it's difficult to beat an incumbent who is at least somewhat popular.

In the unlikely case that Herschel Walker wins the seat, he can join Elizabeth Warren in the "Native American Caucus".

Herschel Walker’s mom disputes son’s claim that grandmother was ‘full-blooded Cherokee’

For the record, the mother only disputes the "full- blooded" claim, not that her mom was of Cherokee ancestry.
Yahoo News said:
“She was kin to Cherokee,” Christine Walker said. “Back when I was a little child running around, she was kin to the Cherokee.”
Ms Walker said she doesn’t know how far back her apparent Cherokee ancestry might go.
Herschel himself did a DNA test, like Fauxachontas herself.
[Herschel Walker] repeatedly claimed at campaign events throughout the spring that his mother is part Indigenous, and in June told a crowd in College Park that he found out that he is “part Native American” through a 23andMe test.

Maybe he needs an Indian name too. I suggest "Shitting Bull".

Couple more polls coming out. I think the abortion stuff is filling into the polls now, and Warnock is developing a lead and holding at 48+% in several of the latest polls. I'd be happier at 50%, but 48% is healthy.

Georgia has to be the easiest retake seat out there for the GOP. If they can't regain it (granted, they have an awful candidate thanks to Trump), retaking the Senate becomes so much harder.

Back
Top Bottom