• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Georgia on your mind?

Does Abrams' campaign strategy make sense? She is running for governor, but the centerpiece of her campaign seems to be over voting rights? Is this what most voters in Georgia want to hear?

Abrams seizes on voting rights issues in rematch with Kemp

Maybe this will galvanize some people in her base of support, but it strikes me as unlikely to galvanize most voters. She is behind in the polls, so nobody is really going to believe that her loss in the general election will be just voter suppression. Aren't there other issues that Georgia voters want to hear about?

The card was first reported by the Washington Post, I believe. It is still true that she did not claim to be of American Indian heritage for any personal gain, however. This card was issued to her AFTER she was accepted to the bar. Note the very tiny print above the "Race" line [about statistical purposes]
My point is merely that her use of race as "American Indian" shows that she was using her supposed Amerind identity in a professional setting, and did not treat it merely as a piece of family lore.

Originally, you said she used that ancestry for personal gain. Now you are shifting the goalpost to "professional setting". Just how did her putting "American Indian" in a slot that called for "race" benefit her in any way at all? She had nothing to gain from it. Not a scholarship. Not entrance to the bar or a university. Not campaigning for public office. Nothing. She came from Oklahoma, which has the highest percentage of Native American ancestry of any state in the US. Lots of families there boast of Indian ancestry. Show us how she ever used that claim for any personal gain at all, or let it go.
Also, the one drop rule.

There are some fantastic advantages and benefits granted to NA-owned businesses in GSA bids …
Unless Liz was running a supply business I can’t see any way her claim could benefit her. Maybe she just wanted to own the c’tards. Sure has given them a priapism.

Does Abrams' campaign strategy make sense? She is running for governor, but the centerpiece of her campaign seems to be over voting rights? Is this what most voters in Georgia want to hear?

Maybe this will galvanize some people in her base of support, but it strikes me as unlikely to galvanize most voters. She is behind in the polls, so nobody is really going to believe that her loss in the general election will be just voter suppression. Aren't there other issues that Georgia voters want to hear about?
I think her campaign in 2018 was far better than this one. What I find most frustrating is when asked about the things that Abrams supports, over 60% of voters agreed with her plans, but far less than that approve or her candidacy. People have no idea what they are voting for these days. Then again, maybe that was always the case. It's almost as if voting is only about the personality of the candidate or one or two social issues the candidate supports.

I came here to post about the debate between Warnock and Walker. I finished watching it early this morning, as I recorded it. Both candidates were awful, imo. Warnock dodged most of the questions and while Walker wasn't good either, he wasn't as bad as I expected. Of course, he lied, but he did quite a job of bashing Warnock, which might have helped him with the undecided and/or poorly informed voters. But, how many people actually watched this debate? It was on a Friday evening at 7 PM and only available on one local station. I only watched it to see how badly Walker would do. So, it's probably not going to make much of an impact on the election. It's still very concerning that somebody like Walker might be our next Senator. He made it pretty obvious that he will vote for whatever the Republicans want. That's exactly why they are supporting him, imo.

The most annoying thing to me as an atheist, is that both of them brought up their Christian beliefs several times. What about all the non Christians in Georgia, not just atheists, but members of other world religions? I guess we don't matter to them. I will vote for Warnock for many reasons, but I do wish we had two better candidates. I'm also so sick of people trying to paint Warnock as far left, when he's center left or maybe even just left of center. Of course, people all define those things in their own way these days.

I think her campaign in 2018 was far better than this one. What I find most frustrating is when asked about the things that Abrams supports, over 60% of voters agreed with her plans, but far less than that approve or her candidacy. People have no idea what they are voting for these days. Then again, maybe that was always the case. It's almost as if voting is only about the personality of the candidate or one or two social issues the candidate supports.

I came here to post about the debate between Warnock and Walker. I finished watching it early this morning, as I recorded it. Both candidates were awful, imo. Warnock dodged most of the questions and while Walker wasn't good either, he wasn't as bad as I expected. Of course, he lied, but he did quite a job of bashing Warnock, which might have helped him with the undecided and/or poorly informed voters. But, how many people actually watched this debate? It was on a Friday evening at 7 PM and only available on one local station. I only watched it to see how badly Walker would do. So, it's probably not going to make much of an impact on the election. It's still very concerning that somebody like Walker might be our next Senator. He made it pretty obvious that he will vote for whatever the Republicans want. That's exactly why they are supporting him, imo.

The most annoying thing to me as an atheist, is that both of them brought up their Christian beliefs several times. What about all the non Christians in Georgia, not just atheists, but members of other world religions? I guess we don't matter to them. I will vote for Warnock for many reasons, but I do wish we had two better candidates. I'm also so sick of people trying to paint Warnock as far left, when he's center left or maybe even just left of center. Of course, people all define those things in their own way these days.
I didn’t watch the entire debate—there’s only so much stupid I’m willing to put up with. For the parts I saw, I agree with your assessment of the debate, although I’d be a bit kinder towards Warnock. Walker must have been having a very good day because he was more coherent than I anticipated. Terrible and wrong but not as bad as I anticipated. And from where I’m sitting, that’s bad news. He was worse than Warnock but not a complete babbling idiot. He’s clearly not tethered to reality. Quotes from interviews and the worst part of last night’s debacle really highlight the brain damage. I’m almost afraid he’s a black version of Trump but more easily controlled by whoever is in charge of prepping him. I cannot like 👍 k at him or hear him speak without feeling a great deal of pity for this man who clearly has brain damage and who, unfortunately, was only trained to play football and never expected to and perhaps never allowed to get a decent education. Of course, this aspect of football and all pro sports is a personal hobby horse: convincing families and young boys to forgo meaningful education in favor of a very tiny shot at a lucrative career that will endanger their health and mental capacity and well-being every single day. The fact that this is seen as one of the few pathways out of poverty for many young black men utterly reeks of racism and I find it despicable.

I also find it despicable that the GOP continues to search out and find useful idiots that are easily controlled and exploited and tossed away when they are no longer useful.

Walker claims that he has been diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder, that he would reach out for help if he needed it, but he doesn't need it. I have a feeling that very few of his supporters know what DID is or even care. Someone diagnosed with a serious mental disorder who claims he doesn't need help with it is almost certainly in need of it. His supporters don't want him for his mental acuity, but for getting Mitch McConnell back in charge of the Senate. So he'll do.

Walker claims that he has been diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder, that he would reach out for help if he needed it, but he doesn't need it. I have a feeling that very few of his supporters know what DID is or even care. Someone diagnosed with a serious mental disorder who claims he doesn't need help with it is almost certainly in need of it. His supporters don't want him for his mental acuity, but for getting Mitch McConnell back in charge of the Senate. So he'll do.
I remember when this is was called "multiple personality disorder" and people who were incorrectly diagnosed or were feigning it, outnumbered the real cases.

So I decided to look up definitions in order to be certain that I knew what I was talking about. Here’s a link to the NAMI site detailing the disorder; https://www.nami.org/About-Mental-Illness/Mental-Health-Conditions/Dissociative-Disorders
The symptoms of a dissociative disorder usually first develop as a response to a traumatic event, such as abuse or military combat, to keep those memories under control. Stressful situations can worsen symptoms and cause problems with functioning in everyday activities. However, the symptoms a person experiences will depend on the type of dissociative disorder that a person has.

It’s treatable. I think there’s no doubt that Walker has the financial means to be treated. It’s less certain the he HAS been effectively treated or that he will be able to continue to remain healthy ( if that is what we call his current observed state). I’m concerned for him, to be honest.

I’m even more concerned for Georgia and for the US if he’s elected.

I am also very concerned about this election. I'm going to vote early, probably on Tuesday, as I think it might be a bit crowded on Monday.

Every article I've read about the debate in papers like the New York Times and the AJC, have said that Walker did better than expected in the debate, and that he made Warnock look bad. What I've read is that Walker was coached for months by Republicans for this debate. Regardless of his messed up English and lies, the debate gave him an edge.

I'll say it again. It's all going to be about turn out and sadly voter apathy in the Georgia midterms is still a problem, although not quite as bad since Stacey Abrams organizations have worked hard to get out the vote. Georgia isn't the only state that has highly unqualified candidates that might win. All the Republicans care about is having someone who will vote on whatever policy positions they support. Walker seems quite willing to do that.

I agree with you Toni, and it's not just candidate Walker who worries me. There are about 300 unqualified election deniers running for Republican seats in almost every state in the country. If those who are running for positions like SOS or governor win, we are really screwed, as the people in those positions usually have control over elections. Autocracy and the far right seem to be on the verge of creating a world wide epidemic. Look at some of the European countries as well as South America for examples.

After her miracle in 2020, I don't question her. She proved her expertise. The larger issue is the sized douchebag a Republican needs to be to lose statewide office in Georgia.

After her miracle in 2020, I don't question her. She proved her expertise. The larger issue is the sized douchebag a Republican needs to be to lose statewide office in Georgia.

That and the size of douchebag Democrats need a Republican to be in order to win a state election. Democrats need to get it through their heads that "Bad Republican!" is not the message that wins an election in a state like Georgia.

That and the size of douchebag Democrats need a Republican to be in order to win a state election. Democrats need to get it through their heads that "Bad Republican!" is not the message that wins an election in a state like Georgia

Are you referring to the voter? If so, I agree that it doesn't help to demonize any of the voters, regardless of the party they support. I have never seen either Stacey or Warnock do that, although it's common for some Republicans, to attack the Democratic voters. The best example of course is Marjorie Taylor Green, who claims that Democrats want to kill Republicans, among other things. She refers to the voters that way, not just the Democratic politicians.

On the other hand, the Republican candidates in Georgia have been lying like I've never seen before. For example, Stacey Abrams is a center left candidate, who has always supported all voters, has exhibited compassion, common sense and intelligence throughout her career. In. 2018, she visited every one of Georgia's 159 counties, and spent plenty of time reaching out to rural voters. The ads that the Republicans run refer to her as far left, out of touch, and only concerned about her own career, without any regard for the people of Georgia. They have similar ads that attack Warnock.

Unfortunately, some people believe this stuff. My neighbor's 96 year old aunt said she can't stand any of the candidates, so she may skip voting this year. She usually votes Republican of course, as she's a very conservative Christian, but I imagine there are people who usually vote for Democrats that don't care enough for the candidates enough to vote either. I guess these people don't realize that the results of this election could have a very negative impact on democracy itself. Sadly, I don't believe that Stacey has a chance of winning this time, and I'm very concerned about Warnock.

All of my friends plan on voting, but they are either atheists or older adults. I convinced a Christian friend of mine recently that the Democratic Party needs us non believers as most of us vote for Democrats. She had no idea. Imagine that! :)

Are you referring to the voter? If so, I agree that it doesn't help to demonize any of the voters, regardless of the party they support. I have never seen either Stacey or Warnock do that, although it's common for some Republicans, to attack the Democratic voters. The best example of course is Marjorie Taylor Green, who claims that Democrats want to kill Republicans, among other things. She refers to the voters that way, not just the Democratic politicians.

I agree that Abrams and Warnock don't campaign that way, but Democrats generally tend to think in terms of driving voters away from Republican politics and policies, because that is what motivates them. But it isn't giving voters enough of an incentive to actually back Democratic politics and policies. I'm not sure which positive policies would motivate people to want Democrats in power in Georgia, as opposed to just keeping Republicans out of office, but it seems to me that Abrams and Warnock have more of a national appeal than an appeal to local Georgia voters. Maybe that is just because I don't live in Georgia and know what local issues are foremost in the minds of Georgians, but people seem to need something that attracts voters to a candidate rather than just repels them from the opponent's policies. Republicans are better at manipulating people with fear and anger, so they seem to have an edge in campaigning on that strategy.

I agree that Abrams and Warnock don't campaign that way, but Democrats generally tend to think in terms of driving voters away from Republican politics and policies, because that is what motivates them. But it isn't giving voters enough of an incentive to actually back Democratic politics and policies. I'm not sure which positive policies would motivate people to want Democrats in power in Georgia, as opposed to just keeping Republicans out of office, but it seems to me that Abrams and Warnock have more of a national appeal than an appeal to local Georgia voters. Maybe that is just because I don't live in Georgia and know what local issues are foremost in the minds of Georgians, but people seem to need something that attracts voters to a candidate rather than just repels them from the opponent's policies. Republicans are better at manipulating people with fear and anger, so they seem to have an edge in campaigning on that strategy.
That's the thing. Conditioning people to respond emotionally to the language democrats use to describe policies which, described in unspoiled terms they prefer, is part and parcel with the authoritarian model.

Most people who don't live in Georgia have no idea what it's like here. We have over 10 million residents and the population is extremely diverse in many ways. The state is far more racially integrated compared to any Northern state I'm familiar with. My own neighborhood is racially integrated. It's a nice middle class area and we all get along fine. In fact, I joke with one of my Black friends that a Black person can walk down my street without any fear of being stopped by the police. Atlanta is one of the most culturally diverse areas in the country, but like most states, there is a big rural versus urban divide. I live about an hour south of ATL

I did hear that Stacey is only 1 point behind Kemp this morning, which makes me think that none of these polls are very helpful. One day she's up. One day she's 10 points behind Kemp. Then she's a few points behind. She was even ahead of Kemp in one poll a few weeks ago. The most recent Republican strategy is trying to make Stacey seem like a celebrity who hangs out with billionaires and cares nothing for the little people. Republicans really do a good job of painting their opponents with their own traits. Most of her support has come from small donors, like me.

When Stacey ran in 2018, she was extremely popular in Georgia. I attended one of her local rallies and the enthusiasm was amazing from both Black and White attendees. She seems less popular these days, at least partly due to the loss of a good percentage of Black men, and Hispanics. I'm not sure why the perception of her has changed. Most Georgians support her policies, but then again, most Georgians probably hav no clue as to which policy positions she supports.

Kemp is totally against abortion in most cases and he refuses to expand M'caid, despite the fact that we have a large number of people who lack medical insurance who would qualify for the expanded version of M'caid. We have rural hospitals that are closing down due to the lack of people who have insurance. We also have an Atlanta hospital closing down, probably for the same reason. We have over 6 billion dollars of extra revenue in Georgia right now, which could be used to help raise teachers and police salaries as well as expand M'caid. Both candidates claim they want to raise the salaries of teachers and police although Stacey's plans are more generous, from what I've read. She also wants more effective police training as well as more accountability. I wish prison reform would be on the table as the prisons in Georgia, like in most states, are rather awful. I haven't heard that mentioned.

I thought about voting today, but the lines were very long at my county's only early voting place. Hopefully, they will be shorter tomorrow. If I have to wait in line, I will, but the first day of early voting does tend to be busy. Maybe I should have voted absentee again. :eek:

Thanks, sohy. You've certainly helped me to understand the situation in Georgia better. I certainly hope that both Warnock and Abrams do better than the polls show.

One of the things that came out of the final Jan 6 hearing was how Trump deliberately used same-day voting to promote his planned coup. He encouraged all Republicans not to use mail-in ballots and did everything he could to undermine public confidence in them. And he did this against the advice of many in his campaign, who wrote memos urging him not to trash mail-in votes. His inner circle (e.g. Bannon and Snow) knew better and even openly told people what Trump's plan was before election day. Trump was always going to deny the validity of an election that Biden won. Since same-day votes are counted first in most states, Trump's same-day voters would create the "red wave" illusion, which he would use to declare victory before all votes were counted. He did that and called for vote counting to stop. He probably knew it wouldn't actually stop the voting, but the idea was to be able to claim that those votes counted after he appeared to be winning could then be branded as fraudulent.

I don't know how consciously Republicans will be using this same strategy in the upcoming midterms, but there are plenty of reports of Republican candidates around the country who claim that they won't concede elections, even if they lose the vote count. I'm pretty sure that MTG would use that Trumpian strategy in Georgia, if she lost the popular count, but she is almost certain to win it anyway.

Are Georgia absentee votes also counted only after the election-day votes are counted?

They start counting absentee ballots when the polls close at 7PM. I'm well aware of what Trump tried to do in the 2020 election, but as you probably know our SOS and governor didn't play his game. Georgia accepted the results of the 2020 election. I can't take anything that MTG says seriously, but she can be a problem. Luckily, she has no power over the Georgia election.

I just watched the Kemp/Abrams debate. The Libertarian candidate made it distracting. He's a total nut job, but it's possible he will get enough of the percentage of votes to force the race into a run off, if it's close.

I thought Abrams did well in the debate. She's very sharp, but sexism is still a problem when it comes to electing a woman to a powerful position. This may be even more true of a Black woman. After all, if elected she would be the first Black female governor in the entire country. I'm not optimistic. Kemp has fairly decent approval ratings and he's an incumbent. Some of his policies are awful, but many of them are similar to Stacey's. She a lot brighter than him. He likes to try and paint her as too far to the left, while she's a very realistic liberal who understands the art of compromise, imo. She's also one of the most brilliant politicians I've ever known of. She even minored in physics in college and wrote novels to help pay her way through law school. It would be nice to have such a smart governor.

I guess we shall see. I'm planning to vote tomorrow and a good friend is going to come along and vote with the two of us. At least we can have some good conversation if the lines are long. :)

I did hear that Stacey is only 1 point behind Kemp this morning, which makes me think that none of these polls are very helpful.
That was the Quinnipiac poll from a few days ago. Other polls show Kemp with a bigger lead, but most importantly, all recent polls show Kemp ahead, and they all (including Quinnipiac) show him with at least 50%. I agree that state polling is more difficult and more prone to uncertainty, and so individual polls are less useful, which is why I usually just look at poll averages. Kemp is ahead by 5.5 in the RealClearPolitics average. At the same time, RCP average for Warnock v. Walker is +3 for Warnock and all recent polls favor him too, even if there are some older ones showing Walker ahead. That Senate seat should have been a gimme for Republicans, but they had to nominate a bumbling idiot. Smh.

One day she's up. One day she's 10 points behind Kemp. Then she's a few points behind. She was even ahead of Kemp in one poll a few weeks ago.
That's the thing with state polls. Very erratic. What poll(s) showed Abrams ahead though? I am looking at RCP polls, and they all show Kemp ahead, except for one Quinnipiac poll (their model seems to really favor her compared to other polls!) from June that had them in a 48-48 tie.

The most recent Republican strategy is trying to make Stacey seem like a celebrity who hangs out with billionaires and cares nothing for the little people. Republicans really do a good job of painting their opponents with their own traits. Most of her support has come from small donors, like me.
If she didn't want to be perceived as a celebrity, then the move to have a cameo in Star Trek Discovery (as president of Earth no less!) was a mistake. The image of her from that role features very prominently in one Kemp mailer I received.

When Stacey ran in 2018, she was extremely popular in Georgia. I attended one of her local rallies and the enthusiasm was amazing from both Black and White attendees. She seems less popular these days, at least partly due to the loss of a good percentage of Black men, and Hispanics. I'm not sure why the perception of her has changed. Most Georgians support her policies, but then again, most Georgians probably hav no clue as to which policy positions she supports.
I do not know why she lost black men and Hispanics per se, but I do not think she ran a very good campaign this time around.
I have not seen many ads from her, and one recent one I remember was all about the Georgia voting law and it linked Kemp with white supremacists. I do not think that's a winning strategy - she needs to show how she intends to make Georgia better instead of casting aspersions.

I thought about voting today, but the lines were very long at my county's only early voting place. Hopefully, they will be shorter tomorrow. If I have to wait in line, I will, but the first day of early voting does tend to be busy. Maybe I should have voted absentee again. :eek:
I'm probably going to wait until second week of early voting. DeKalb has several locations, but they tend to be very busy in the first few days.

I just watched the Kemp/Abrams debate. The Libertarian candidate made it distracting. He's a total nut job, but it's possible he will get enough of the percentage of votes to force the race into a run off, if it's close.
I watched it too - it was a short one, less than an hour. Except on a few points like weed, Shane Hazel really was out there.
I thought Abrams did well in the debate.
I do not think any of them did particularly well. Abrams scored some points, esp. on Medicaid expansion and hospital closings, but she waffled about policing and her question to Kemp about minority businesses was about racial preferences, which I am against.

She's very sharp, but sexism is still a problem when it comes to electing a woman to a powerful position. This may be even more true of a Black woman.
I disagree. It is a tired old trope that whenever a black and/or female candidate falls short, racism and/or sexism is blamed.

After all, if elected she would be the first Black female governor in the entire country. I'm not optimistic. Kemp has fairly decent approval ratings and he's an incumbent.
That last sentence is key. Reasonably popular incumbents are hard to unseat, no matter the opposing candidate. No warrant to trot out the "sexism" cudgel.

Some of his policies are awful, but many of them are similar to Stacey's. She a lot brighter than him. He likes to try and paint her as too far to the left, while she's a very realistic liberal who understands the art of compromise, imo. She's also one of the most brilliant politicians I've ever known of. She even minored in physics in college and wrote novels to help pay her way through law school. It would be nice to have such a smart governor.
Does not look good for her I must say, judging from the polls. But then again, election night often surprises.
She is smart, indeed, but she did not run a very good campaign this time around. She got visibly agitated several times during the debate, in contrast with Kemp, who remained cool, calm and collected throughout.

I guess we shall see. I'm planning to vote tomorrow and a good friend is going to come along and vote with the two of us. At least we can have some good conversation if the lines are long. :)
Have fun.

The best example of course is Marjorie Taylor Green, who claims that Democrats want to kill Republicans, among other things. She refers to the voters that way, not just the Democratic politicians.
There was also Hillary with her "basket of deplorables" though. So it's not all one-sided.
I agree that neither Abrams nor Warnock resorted to such statements though.

I guess that after watching the pathetic Walker/Warnock debate, the Kemp/Abrams debate seemed pretty rational. I did have trouble paying attention at times, partly due to being distracted by the crazed Libertarian. I knew the Libertarian ideology was a bit extreme, but that guy is totally nuts. No taxes, no police, no public schools...... Yeah! That sounds like a great plan. FREEDUMB!

I agree that Hillary made a mistake by labeling some voters the way she did. I doubt it lost her the election, but it sure didn't help.

I don't expect Abrams to win, but it all depends on turn out. I'm far more concerned about the idiot Walker becoming our Senator.

Back
Top Bottom