• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is that COP OUT 20?

Compare the energy mix of any other OECD nation with that of France, and it becomes VERY clear - opposition to nuclear power IS SUPPORT FOR COAL, whether or not you understand that that is what you are doing.

And the word is 'Kowtow'. :rolleyes:

He's not looking at reality, but rather at a green fantasy.

Unfortunately, I am looking at reality. Sorry it is that way, but the southwest U.S. has quite a history of nuclear exploitation and pollution. We have some experience and Fukushima like problems is what folks who opposed Diablo Canyon and San Onofre were worried about back when these plants were being built against their will. There is an architectural set of conditions that must be reproduced in some form to make one of these plants that involves making heat and simutaneously cooling it and when one of these two very simple things fail you have a mess on your hands with people trying to freeze groundwater in situ, and also madly seeking places to dispose of huge volumes of highly radioactive waste.

I used to live in the desert and on highway 10 near Palm Springs there are huge wind farms. To my knowledge, there is no evacuation plan for the City of Palm Springs like there would have to be if that energy was being produced by nuclear power. There also is no yellow pall of smog like there would be if there was a coal plant there. If we can live safely with nukes, it is really funny they all are required to have evacuation plans for people living anywhere in the vicinity of their locations. Please Loren, if these things are not creating sacrifice zones, splain this thing to me. You know I am right.:humph:

The definition of "Green Fantasy": That which is entirely possible but opposed by small pockets of great wealth.

Bilby and I rarely agree, but on this he is absolutely correct. Renewables are intermittent, and therefore highly dependent on the much larger fossil fuel and nuclear power electrical grid. To oppose nuclear power means that the only other alternative is more coal and natural gas.

Germany, like Denmark, has only been able to develop intermittent renewable energy resources because of the high capacity inter-connections with other large European energy providers/consumers. In effect, Germany and Denmark have used the European and Nordic grids as a large battery. It follows that if other European countries were to follow the path taken by Germany the system as a whole would soon run out of capacity to deal with the fluctuations in renewable energy production.

The German Energiewende has not resulted in less dependence on the burning of coal to generate electricity and will not do so anytime soon.

http://judithcurry.com/2015/12/02/german-energiewende-modern-miracle-or-major-misstep/

The pathological hate of nuclear power is self-destructive, IF decarbonization is the social goal.

It is not hate. It is recognizing that this technolgy is unsafe and incrementally capable of polluting our entire environment just like the coal alternative you seem to think is the only alternative to nukes. Corporate need for profit has driven our society into an unavoidable natural disaster. Sea level rise is guaranteed at this point. So are super typhoons. droughts, crop failures, and massive refugee migrations. It really is compassion for our species that motivates good environmentalists. Your idea to just keep on polluting with nukes is insane. I see it as pathological addiction to massive energy consumption that drive the nuclear power argument. Their words...."You need me." My words..."Like another hole in the head."

There is no question in my mind that we will have to start using whatever fossil fuel energy we use more wisely and remove from legitimacy those uses that are not necessary for human survival. We have an ever increasing number of our best minds working on alternative energies and need a lot more to obtain breakthroughs in energy storage and conservation. These will be errors. The auto industry produced the Corvair. We will have some alternative energy venture that are apt to be like that, but the good ones along with social organization and conservation can go a long way toward mitigating this problem.

Compare the energy mix of any other OECD nation with that of France, and it becomes VERY clear - opposition to nuclear power IS SUPPORT FOR COAL, whether or not you understand that that is what you are doing.

And the word is 'Kowtow'. :rolleyes:

That is pure bullshit. Not supporting Nuclear has NOTHING TO DO WITH SUPPORTING COAL.
Yes, it really does. That you don't grasp this is truly sad.
What you are describing is insufficient support for alternatives and insufficient support for conservation. This has been the case as long as I can remember.
Yes, exactly. For AS LONG AS YOU CAN REMEMBER, opposition to nuclear has been tantamount to support for coal, because alternatives to these have not been considered viable for base load power. Your opposition to nuclear power has not caused one windmill or solar panel to be installed; These things have been adopted only as they became economically viable - and only to the extent that they are economically viable. Meanwhile, the demand for continuous, reliable, electrical power has been met by coal - due to your lobbying against the only other viable continuous power source.

That you think this might suddenly change, just because you don't want to admit that your activism has been supporting the coal industry, is pure cognitive dissonance.

The only reason we still generate MOST of the world's electricity from coal is that you and your comrades in the anti-nuclear lobby have been so successful.

France is a shining example of what a country that has marginalised and ignored the anti-nuclear lobby looks like; they generate almost all of their electricity without any carbon emissions at all.
I suspect you would know how to spell words connoting frightened submissive obedience considering your country's treatment of its native peoples.
Why? The racists in Australia don't like the Chinese either - and "Kowtow" is a Chinese word.

You really shouldn't use words you don't fully understand - it makes you look foolish. And when called on it, a lame ad-hominem response makes you look childish too. You really don't want to take all of the crimes of the USA on your own shoulders, do you? Because if you don't, trying to place the crimes of other Australians at my door is unwarranted. Grow up.

Energy mixes are the result of NO PROGRAM TO CONTROL CARBON AND NUCLEAR POLLUTION.
Do you really live in a universe where you imagine that effects are the result of the lack of a cause? Your brain is a seriously weird place.

Energy mixes are the result of a variety of pressures; Those - the vast majority - that include a lot of coal burning are, in large part, the result of anti-nuclear lobbying, which makes nuclear power both less politically attractive, and more expensive. Well done on that - you and your comrades have successfully kept most of the world burning coal for at least four decades longer than necessary. You can be proud of the fact that you were responsible for the overheated future of our globe.
We are at the beginning of a process which should in all rights be much further along, but thanks to denialists like yourself it is way behind schedule.
Ha! Your mirror is in the way again - the entire OECD should have a generation mix like France's, with almost zero carbon emissions; but thanks to fantasists and conspiracy theorists like yourself, we are all still burning coal.
We cannot blame people for not knowing where these technologies (fossils and nukes) would eventually take our society, but when we finally find out, then there is blame that can be assigned to those who deny the handwriting on the wall for SHORT TERM PROFITS.
Or indeed due to an IRRATIONAL FEAR of nuclear power that is based in the anti-nuclear WEAPONS ideals of the 1960s. Those nuclear disarmament advocates saw opposition to nuclear power as a way to cut off the supply of bomb making materials to the military; but sadly for the planet, they were unaware that the biggest threat was not the USSR and USA lobbing nukes at each other, but in fact was carbon dioxide.

In the world of the Cuban Missile Crisis, that was an understandable error; it seemed then that nuclear weapons were a huge and imminent threat, and the long term effects of CO2 on climate were not then known - and even had they been, it is hard to think long term when the world might end next week.

But that excuse expired with the collapse of the Berlin Wall. There is no excuse for not changing your position when faced with a dramatic change in circumstances; But your anti-nuclear propaganda was too powerful to escape. So here you are making fact-free claims to oppose a technology that can save the planet from a problem you yourself agree is the biggest issue of our time.

That's truly sad.
The problems with the nukes were apparent BEFORE there was widespread knowledge and proof of the CO2 effect.
Apart from 'They can make material for bombs', there ARE no problems with nukes that come anywhere CLOSE to the problems with coal.
Alternative advocacy has always been here.
Sure. But the technology to make solar or wind effective for continuous supply of power has not; and still is not.
I was part of it in the 60's. I ran a solar water distiller company in the 80's. I really am aware of the economic constraints that have been applied to alternative energy projects. These economic restraints were accompanied by public relations character assassinations proffered widely by fossil fuel companies and nuke companies.
Sure; It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. Which is why the coal lobbyists love you and your comrades so much.

Wind and Solar have their place; I am glad to see them being more widely used. But there is a reason why even countries like the UK, who are heavily invested in wind power, still need to burn coal. Lots of coal. Because it is the only viable alternative to the nuclear power to which you and your comrades stand opposed.

The only places in Europe where renewables have made a really big inroad into the coal power industry are those that supplement their renewables with power bought from France.

Can you guess how the French make that carbon neutral electricity? It begins with an 'N'.

The earliest objections to coal were already sufficient in terms of heavy metals emissions and particulate emissions, but the coal people relocated many of their projects far from cities which temporarily were not directly experiencing the air pollution.
Yes.
You are just an extension of that press for more and more power consumptive lives and I have seen and known of attitudes like yours for the better part of fifty years.
This is a fantasy of yours; I have told you several times in this thread that it isn't true; and you have zero evidence for it. So please stop. Attacking me personally doesn't strengthen the logic of your position.
I have the privilege of having known an ex-nuclear mining engineer and we have discussed what his job was about....air circulation in uranium mine to remove radon gas. He very frankly told me that that part of the business was the most difficult and subject to failure a lot. He quit that line and went into city planning.
Yes, it's a fairly tricky problem. ALL technologies have tricky problems, that need smart people to solve them.
The radon gas was pumped to our atmosphere outside, to join with all the other air pollutants.
Radon has a half-life of less than four days; it is only a hazard if it can accumulate, and as it is VERY dense, it is therefore a non-issue anywhere where it cannot pool. Pumping it into the air disperses it rendering it safe - the solution to pollution is dilution - and in a few days, it disappears all by itself.

That's one of the big benefits of nuclear pollution - unlike most chemical pollution, a large part of it just goes away if you wait a while.

Of course, if you don't know, and don't care to find out the basic physics of the materials you rail against, you can imagine all kinds of grisly outcomes.
You want to say those who get sick and die from this stuff are just collateral damage.
...and there you go. No, I don't 'want to say' anything of the sort - I am telling you, from a fact-based position, that Radon in the atmosphere outside an enclosed low-lying area is not a hazard at all. You needn't take my word for it; Go learn the physics yourself.

The deaths from solar power are more per TWh than from nuclear; do you want to say that the people who die in the solar power industry are just collateral damage; Or do you instead treat yourself more humanely (but less justly) and say that they are far fewer in number than deaths from coal power, so it is better to have the lesser of two evils?

Because goose sauce is gander sauce; If the handful of deaths from solar power are preferable to the tens of thousands of deaths from coal power, then so must be the even fewer deaths from nuclear power.
Let me remind you we have to stop being on a war footing with our environment.
Let me remind you that your ideas about what I have 'forgotten' are pure fantasy, and exist only as a result of your cognitive dissonance.

I am not on a war footing with anything; Your imagining that I must be is just part of your attempt to grasp for a reason why I don't agree with you, that doesn't also entail your being factually wrong. But you ARE wrong, so there is no need for these increasingly bizarre guesses about my motivations; I have the same motivations you have - we both want the same results. But you have a factually flawed set of premises that leads you to oppose the best available solution; and I do not.
It isn't just a matter of short term safety but rather of conceptualization of how we live our lives and how those who follow us will be living theirs. In that territory we all have a certain amount of blindness, but we can see that cumilative long term environmental destruction cannot do anything but make future lives more difficult and threatened with our toxic waste.
Absolutely. And that is why we MUST replace coal burning with nuclear power as a matter of urgency.
I really understand your position.
I really, really doubt that.
It just appears to me to be saying..."Just a little more...we need some more...anything for short term expediency in generating profits.
Wow. Way to prove yourself wrong. My position is THE SAME AS YOURS - we MUST stop global warming. The only difference between us is that we don't agree on how to REACH our desired objective - I have NO argument with you regarding ends, only means.
I am not sure if you are aware of the racism in your own country that is constant being applied to native peoples in the pursuit of mineral exploitation
Of course I am; We have already discussed it in this thread. And here too, I completely agree with you.
...and yes, one of the worst cases is uranium mining.
Except that it isn't. The WORST cases are coal and iron. By FAR. Uranium mining has a lot of problems for the aborigines; but no more so than other forms of mining - and the amount of mining needed per unit of power generated from nuclear is TINY compared with that required for coal.

The problems caused by mining companies would be massively lessened if we switched from coal to nuclear for our power, even if all else remained the same. Of course, I hope, vote, and lobby, for the abuses of the mining industry to stop; but the idea that uranium mining is as big a problem as coal in this country is so backwards as to be insane.
You people have real problems with water and you are running up against environmental feed back in more than one area of industrial endeavor.
Almost none of which has anything to do with the nuclear industry; and many of which would be mitigated to some extent by a switch from coal to uranium, all else being equal.
Your rice farmers are going under in a drought, just like ours here in California.
All the more reason to prevent severe climate change by switching from coal to nuclear.
Your voice just calling for just a little more is loud and clear here and we are still quite resistant to the reality of what we need to be doing.

I am not calling for more; I am calling for a switch from coal to nuclear - which means LESS mining, LESS pollution, LESS injury, illness and death and LESS carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Whatever level of power use we might have in the future, generating that power from nuclear, and not from coal, is a MASSIVE plus for the planet and its people.

But still you support coal. And you don't even realise that you are. That's really sad.

Last edited:
Yes, today we are forced to use oil and coal or nuclear energy. Forced because of decisions made over the past 100 years.

The question is: Will we use the energy we have that is both destroying the environment and limited to develop better sources of energy than nuclear?

Or will we stay on our present course and make the choice to wage endless war instead of using our wealth and efforts on something productive?

The problem is that we have no alternatives. Your "green" answers fall down on the storage.

YOU have no alternatives. Use the WE when you are sure everybody does not have any alternatives. I used to live in the desert and had a number of neighbors who were entirely off the grid and solar powered. There are storage alternatives and we will be seeing more of them in the future. I have never said we must stop tomorrow morning by 9 o'clock. We have a lot of housing in So. Calif. that are miles from any place of employment. We can change a lot of parameters if we want to bad enough. It is time to want these changes. You seem to think I am imperious and would order people around shutting them down with an inflexible and demanding form of rule. I remind you I am all for democracy and have compassion for people who are trapped in a web of consequences of other people's choices. Our infrastructure does not serve us at all well for an alternative energy future, but that is what we need and we need to work on it with a ferocious sense of necessity. Instead we have the capitalist medicine show full of miracle power solutions that pollute and are the cause of the problem to begin with...and people sniping at others with good purpose and intention to disenfranchise them.

He's not looking at reality, but rather at a green fantasy.

Unfortunately, I am looking at reality. Sorry it is that way, but the southwest U.S. has quite a history of nuclear exploitation and pollution. We have some experience and Fukushima like problems is what folks who opposed Diablo Canyon and San Onofre were worried about back when these plants were being built against their will. There is an architectural set of conditions that must be reproduced in some form to make one of these plants that involves making heat and simutaneously cooling it and when one of these two very simple things fail you have a mess on your hands with people trying to freeze groundwater in situ, and also madly seeking places to dispose of huge volumes of highly radioactive waste.

I used to live in the desert and on highway 10 near Palm Springs there are huge wind farms. To my knowledge, there is no evacuation plan for the City of Palm Springs like there would have to be if that energy was being produced by nuclear power. There also is no yellow pall of smog like there would be if there was a coal plant there. If we can live safely with nukes, it is really funny they all are required to have evacuation plans for people living anywhere in the vicinity of their locations. Please Loren, if these things are not creating sacrifice zones, splain this thing to me. You know I am right.:humph:

Those huge wind farms produce power when the wind blows, they produce nothing when it doesn't. Without fossil fuels as backup they have basically zero value on the power grid.

You persist in looking at only a small part of the problem and trying to decree an answer based on it.

We have evacuation plans around nuke plants to drive up the cost, not because the risk is actually higher than around a coal plant. With a nuke plant in the vast majority of cases you're exposed to effectively zero threat. With the coal plant the threat is there every day. A nuke plant that glowed like a coal plant would be shut down pronto by the NRC.

As for sacrifice zones--look at the numbers we did up-thread. With reprocessing the "sacrifice zone" for the current level of worldwide nuclear power is less than a hectare.

Coal, however...Google seems to say about 1 metric ton of ash per megawatt/day. With careful packing this has a density of 1500 kg/m^3. Organizing this we get .028 m^3/Mwh.

By 2012 (what I'm finding, I don't feel like a long search for more recent data. The numbers will be even worse as coal use has been going up) data coal is 40.2% of 22,668 Twh. That gives 635 million m^3. Using the same standards that fills the sacrifice zone I worked out for nuclear power in 69 minutes. Once you consider the coal that is used for purposes other than electricity you fill that zone in about 10 minutes.

Of course you're going to protest that you're not for coal. The problem is you're not for any viable means of generating power. Since your position is impossible we are substituting reality.

From a practical standpoint--among other things consider northern China to be a sacrifice zone.

- - - Updated - - -

The definition of "Green Fantasy": That which is entirely possible but opposed by small pockets of great wealth.

No. You're so focused on the generation that you are neglecting the fact that we don't have the storage systems to make those intermittent sources viable unless they're backed up by oil, gas or hydro generators.

Bilby and I rarely agree, but on this he is absolutely correct. Renewables are intermittent, and therefore highly dependent on the much larger fossil fuel and nuclear power electrical grid. To oppose nuclear power means that the only other alternative is more coal and natural gas.

http://judithcurry.com/2015/12/02/german-energiewende-modern-miracle-or-major-misstep/

The pathological hate of nuclear power is self-destructive, IF decarbonization is the social goal.

It is not hate. It is recognizing that this technolgy is unsafe and incrementally capable of polluting our entire environment just like the coal alternative you seem to think is the only alternative to nukes. Corporate need for profit has driven our society into an unavoidable natural disaster. Sea level rise is guaranteed at this point. So are super typhoons. droughts, crop failures, and massive refugee migrations. It really is compassion for our species that motivates good environmentalists. Your idea to just keep on polluting with nukes is insane. I see it as pathological addiction to massive energy consumption that drive the nuclear power argument. Their words...."You need me." My words..."Like another hole in the head."

There is no question in my mind that we will have to start using whatever fossil fuel energy we use more wisely and remove from legitimacy those uses that are not necessary for human survival. We have an ever increasing number of our best minds working on alternative energies and need a lot more to obtain breakthroughs in energy storage and conservation. These will be errors. The auto industry produced the Corvair. We will have some alternative energy venture that are apt to be like that, but the good ones along with social organization and conservation can go a long way toward mitigating this problem.

Your political fantasies won't make a viable storage system magically appear.

The problem is that we have no alternatives. Your "green" answers fall down on the storage.

YOU have no alternatives. Use the WE when you are sure everybody does not have any alternatives. I used to live in the desert and had a number of neighbors who were entirely off the grid and solar powered. There are storage alternatives and we will be seeing more of them in the future. I have never said we must stop tomorrow morning by 9 o'clock. We have a lot of housing in So. Calif. that are miles from any place of employment. We can change a lot of parameters if we want to bad enough. It is time to want these changes. You seem to think I am imperious and would order people around shutting them down with an inflexible and demanding form of rule. I remind you I am all for democracy and have compassion for people who are trapped in a web of consequences of other people's choices. Our infrastructure does not serve us at all well for an alternative energy future, but that is what we need and we need to work on it with a ferocious sense of necessity. Instead we have the capitalist medicine show full of miracle power solutions that pollute and are the cause of the problem to begin with...and people sniping at others with good purpose and intention to disenfranchise them.

If you have an answer, post it. Politics is not an answer, we need a viable storage system. What is it?

Your neighbors were paying an arm and a leg for that storage system and it's far from environmentally benign.

France's power generation model is the current viable alternative that you simply dismiss out of hand despite it being thoroughly and patiently explained to you as the best current viable alternative from multiple people in this thread. It's something that you and the coal industry are in perfect alignment on, to their benefit and to the planet's and humanity's detriment. Sad. You are a tool of the coal industry and completely ignorant of the fact. Expand your horizons. Admit that even your deepest held beliefs that you have held so dearly all this time could be wrong. It's your long term commitment to wrong belief that is clouding your judgment. You'd recognize it as a contribution factor as to why any religious fundamentalist stubbornly maintains their belief. Can't you see that you might just perhaps be holding onto your belief for the exact same reasons?

Somebody certainly has a hobby horse in this discussion.

We have been forced to rely on bad energy sources.

And some think it is just due to some force of nature and not because corrupt humans have chosen this path for us.

The question is; What path do we choose now?

If only the ruthless and evil capitalist giant windmill and solar panel companies were more evil and more ruthless they could lobby for new laws of physics.

If only the ruthless and evil capitalist giant windmill and solar panel companies were more evil and more ruthless they could lobby for new laws of physics.

The Big Wind corporations are bird murderers. :mad:

Somebody certainly has a hobby horse in this discussion.

We have been forced to rely on bad energy sources.

And some think it is just due to some force of nature and not because corrupt humans have chosen this path for us.

The question is; What path do we choose now?

There are only two actual paths: nuclear and coal.

You're pointing to a trail that leads into the mountains and peters out.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem isn't with the wind and solar power. Both work and produce reasonably-priced power.

The killer is storage.

If only we had made massive efforts to find alternative energy sources through government action.

Since the market fails at things like this so miserably, as you point out.

There is geothermal energy. There is tidal energy. There is wind energy. There is solar energy.

And we either make these work or we have no sustainable future.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem isn't with the wind and solar power. Both work and produce reasonably-priced power.

The killer is storage.

There you go again telling us our ONLY ALTERNATIVES which really aren't alternatives at all. Both of these alternatives are highly polluting , dangerous, toxic and also demanding waste depositories for their waste. They are the epitome of NONRENEWABLE.

What does concern me is not your opinion but the fact that somehow this monster problem facing us was given 12 days to come up with what would be done about it. We are six days in and we have a document with about two hundred fifty pages and 900 unresolved disagreements. On paper no less! There have already been 20 COP's that gave us nothing. That is because they are dominated by fossil fuel and nuclear energy corporations with their public relations programs and politicians on the take from these industries. That is not that everyone there is like this, but enough are like this to queer any short term resolution of differences...and keep the progress as close to zero as possible so they can extend their record profits.

I think they should not even be the focus of our remarks. The problem is even bigger than any of these outfits. We are a species that could be regarded as earthbound crust dwellers, living in a paper thin atmosphere on a rock that is still molten deep inside. What this conference is all about is the feedback from our limited environment to our actions. We are altering the chemical composition of our entire atmosphere and affecting the chemistry of our oceans and lands. These are the resources that are limited and that we all depend on, far more than the banks and oil companies. The resources we have to protect end up being our air and our water and arable land. The problem reduces about like that, the more extreme our insults to the environment. There is plenty of coal and oil and uranium. With each of these, we simply cannot stop polluting if we continue using them. They each represent their own threats to human survival and demand repositories for unredeemable wastes they produce. Some of the wastes they produce we have no way of controlling and sequestering from our environment.

Failure to deal with the climate change problem will result in a reversal of man's progress on the planet. We are witnessing the quantitative convergence of CO2 waste with the limits our atmosphere can sustain without killing a lot of people. I don't think 12 days is enough time to do anything about it when even some of our best and most sincere efforts are apt to meet with some failure. Dismal seems to find some humor in the death of birds due to windmills. It is happening. There are solutions to this problem. There are also solutions to storage of energy. Part of the solution is going to be conservation and abrupt reductions in the use of fossils and nukes and perfection of alternatives. None of this is going to happen over night. Solutions will not come without sincere efforts to leave the unsustainable energies behind and most of the proven oil reserves in the ground. Politicians should not erect barriers to the survival of their constituencies, but it appears they have little conscience when it come to those outside their minor domain. I think this whole problem belongs in the hands of scientists and technical workers who clearly understand the problem It should not be a matter of who has the money gets what he wants and everybody else (including some sinking Pacific islands) can just live with our addiction to oil and nukes.:thinking:

The killer is storage.

The first statement is nonsensical.

The energy challenge is one of getting energy where it is needed in usable form when it it is needed.

If a energy source can't do this at a reasonable price then it is not "reasonably priced energy".

Also, you are wrong. Solar and wind are far more expensive per kwh irrespective of timing than a modern gas fired CCGT. I imagine on the order of 3-5X more expensive per kwh at current gas prices before factoring in intermittency (which requires you to build the CCGT anyway...)

- - - Updated - - -

The killer is storage.

There you go again telling us our ONLY ALTERNATIVES which really aren't alternatives at all.
Sure they are. You can have the one that kills millions of people per decade, or the one that kills (at most) a few hundred. That's not only a reasonable choice - it's a no-brainer.

That you persist in treating them as indestinguishable in their degree of harm is insane; unless you are actively trying to support the coal industry.
Both of these alternatives are highly polluting , dangerous, toxic and also demanding waste depositories for their waste.
No. Not for any sane definition of the word 'highly'.

Coal is highly polluting, dangerous, toxic and also demands waste depositories for its waste.

Nuclear is so non-polluting that after sixty years, you can name in one breath all three locations on the planet that have been polluted by it. It is so safe that it kills fewer people than solar power; and it demands about a hectare of storage in total for all the waste it will ever produce.

That's a VERY CLEAR alternative.

They are the epitome of NONRENEWABLE.

What does concern me is not your opinion but the fact that somehow this monster problem facing us was given 12 days to come up with what would be done about it.
The problem of storage for intermittent renewable energy sources has been known about for decades.
We are six days in and we have a document with about two hundred fifty pages and 900 unresolved disagreements. On paper no less! There have already been 20 COP's that gave us nothing. That is because they are dominated by fossil fuel and nuclear energy corporations with their public relations programs and politicians on the take from these industries.
And because people like you do everything they can to support coal in what should, based on the facts, be a very one-sided battle between those two lobbies.
That is not that everyone there is like this, but enough are like this to queer any short term resolution of differences...and keep the progress as close to zero as possible so they can extend their record profits.
Or for whatever the hell your motive is; I presume you are not making money out of your support for coal.

I think they should not even be the focus of our remarks. The problem is even bigger than any of these outfits. We are a species that could be regarded as earthbound crust dwellers, living in a paper thin atmosphere on a rock that is still molten deep inside. What this conference is all about is the feedback from our limited environment to our actions. We are altering the chemical composition of our entire atmosphere and affecting the chemistry of our oceans and lands. These are the resources that are limited and that we all depend on, far more than the banks and oil companies. The resources we have to protect end up being our air and our water and arable land. The problem reduces about like that, the more extreme our insults to the environment. There is plenty of coal and oil and uranium. With each of these, we simply cannot stop polluting if we continue using them. They each represent their own threats to human survival and demand repositories for unredeemable wastes they produce. Some of the wastes they produce we have no way of controlling and sequestering from our environment.
Really? I don't think so.

If you think that there is any material we cannot control and sequester from our environment, then you have been watching too much science fiction. This is just matter; it acts in accordance with physics and chemistry. It's not 'The Blob' :rolleyes:

Failure to deal with the climate change problem will result in a reversal of man's progress on the planet.
YES. Which is why we need to stop burning coal and switch to nuclear and renewables NOW.
We are witnessing the quantitative convergence of CO2 waste with the limits our atmosphere can sustain without killing a lot of people. I don't think 12 days is enough time to do anything about it when even some of our best and most sincere efforts are apt to meet with some failure.
Then it's a good thing we are not limited in our actions to those that can be agreed in 12 days. This is COP21. There will be a COP22, 23, 24...
Dismal seems to find some humor in the death of birds due to windmills. It is happening. There are solutions to this problem. There are also solutions to storage of energy. Part of the solution is going to be conservation and abrupt reductions in the use of fossils and nukes and perfection of alternatives. None of this is going to happen over night. Solutions will not come without sincere efforts to leave the unsustainable energies behind and most of the proven oil reserves in the ground. Politicians should not erect barriers to the survival of their constituencies, but it appears they have little conscience when it come to those outside their minor domain. I think this whole problem belongs in the hands of scientists and technical workers who clearly understand the problem It should not be a matter of who has the money gets what he wants and everybody else (including some sinking Pacific islands) can just live with our addiction to oil and nukes.:thinking:
There you go again; Describing a problem with fossil fuels, and then tacking on 'and nukes' as though that made sense.

You may as well write "I think this whole problem belongs in the hands of scientists and technical workers who clearly understand the problem It should not be a matter of who has the money gets what he wants and everybody else (including some sinking Pacific islands) can just live with our addiction to oil and solar power."; that makes EXACTLY as much sense.

There you go again telling us our ONLY ALTERNATIVES which really aren't alternatives at all.
Sure they are. You can have the one that kills millions of people per decade, or the one that kills (at most) a few hundred. That's not only a reasonable choice - it's a no-brainer.

That you persist in treating them as indestinguishable in their degree of harm is insane; unless you are actively trying to support the coal industry.
Both of these alternatives are highly polluting , dangerous, toxic and also demanding waste depositories for their waste.
No. Not for any sane definition of the word 'highly'.

Coal is highly polluting, dangerous, toxic and also demands waste depositories for its waste.

Nuclear is so non-polluting that after sixty years, you can name in one breath all three locations on the planet that have been polluted by it. It is so safe that it kills fewer people than solar power; and it demands about a hectare of storage in total for all the waste it will ever produce.

That's a VERY CLEAR alternative.

They are the epitome of NONRENEWABLE.

What does concern me is not your opinion but the fact that somehow this monster problem facing us was given 12 days to come up with what would be done about it.
The problem of storage for intermittent renewable energy sources has been known about for decades.
We are six days in and we have a document with about two hundred fifty pages and 900 unresolved disagreements. On paper no less! There have already been 20 COP's that gave us nothing. That is because they are dominated by fossil fuel and nuclear energy corporations with their public relations programs and politicians on the take from these industries.
And because people like you do everything they can to support coal in what should, based on the facts, be a very one-sided battle between those two lobbies.
That is not that everyone there is like this, but enough are like this to queer any short term resolution of differences...and keep the progress as close to zero as possible so they can extend their record profits.
Or for whatever the hell your motive is; I presume you are not making money out of your support for coal.

Really? I don't think so.

If you think that there is any material we cannot control and sequester from our environment, then you have been watching too much science fiction. This is just matter; it acts in accordance with physics and chemistry. It's not 'The Blob' :rolleyes:

Failure to deal with the climate change problem will result in a reversal of man's progress on the planet.
YES. Which is why we need to stop burning coal and switch to nuclear and renewables NOW.
We are witnessing the quantitative convergence of CO2 waste with the limits our atmosphere can sustain without killing a lot of people. I don't think 12 days is enough time to do anything about it when even some of our best and most sincere efforts are apt to meet with some failure.
Then it's a good thing we are not limited in our actions to those that can be agreed in 12 days. This is COP21. There will be a COP22, 23, 24...
Dismal seems to find some humor in the death of birds due to windmills. It is happening. There are solutions to this problem. There are also solutions to storage of energy. Part of the solution is going to be conservation and abrupt reductions in the use of fossils and nukes and perfection of alternatives. None of this is going to happen over night. Solutions will not come without sincere efforts to leave the unsustainable energies behind and most of the proven oil reserves in the ground. Politicians should not erect barriers to the survival of their constituencies, but it appears they have little conscience when it come to those outside their minor domain. I think this whole problem belongs in the hands of scientists and technical workers who clearly understand the problem It should not be a matter of who has the money gets what he wants and everybody else (including some sinking Pacific islands) can just live with our addiction to oil and nukes.:thinking:
There you go again; Describing a problem with fossil fuels, and then tacking on 'and nukes' as though that made sense.

You may as well write "I think this whole problem belongs in the hands of scientists and technical workers who clearly understand the problem It should not be a matter of who has the money gets what he wants and everybody else (including some sinking Pacific islands) can just live with our addiction to oil and solar power."; that makes EXACTLY as much sense.

Nuclear power is toxic and makes waste products there is no safe way to contain its waste. You just can't do without extra power from nukes...even if it makes Fukushimas and kills people you don't admit to. You know you will not be having what you want. At some point we will be facing the same thing with nukes when cancer numbers go through the roof...like they did in the Soviet Union after Chernobyl and we will see soon in Japan. I hope you get a nuclear plant in your neighborhood soon and also agree to hosting nuclear waste dumps. I wouldn't want you to be unhappy and not have lots of what you want....but please leave the rest of the world out of it. The beauty of Australia is it is so far away from the rest of us. Nuclear waste...cigarettes...what the hell who cares? One carcinogen or another is bound to kill you anyway we make so many different kinds of waste.;)

Don't tell me what to write

Back
Top Bottom