• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is that COP OUT 20?

There are only two actual paths: nuclear and coal.

You're pointing to a trail that leads into the mountains and peters out.

There is geothermal energy. There is tidal energy. There is wind energy. There is solar energy.

And we either make these work or we have no sustainable future.

Geothermal: Good but limited. It can't produce anything like as much as we need.

Tidal: Not viable yet, it might be down the road.

Wind & solar: The same problem as always--they are intermittent. We don't have the storage systems to make it work.

- - - Updated - - -

There you go again telling us our ONLY ALTERNATIVES which really aren't alternatives at all. Both of these alternatives are highly polluting , dangerous, toxic and also demanding waste depositories for their waste. They are the epitome of NONRENEWABLE.

There we go again, letting your fantasies trump reality.

The problem isn't with the wind and solar power. Both work and produce reasonably-priced power.

The killer is storage.

The first statement is nonsensical.

The energy challenge is one of getting energy where it is needed in usable form when it it is needed.

If a energy source can't do this at a reasonable price then it is not "reasonably priced energy".

Also, you are wrong. Solar and wind are far more expensive per kwh irrespective of timing than a modern gas fired CCGT. I imagine on the order of 3-5X more expensive per kwh at current gas prices before factoring in intermittency (which requires you to build the CCGT anyway...)

They only work by reducing the fuel use of the gas or oil plants but they do that. It's not quite as cheap as the oil or gas but it's not insane, either.

Sure they are. You can have the one that kills millions of people per decade, or the one that kills (at most) a few hundred. That's not only a reasonable choice - it's a no-brainer.

That you persist in treating them as indestinguishable in their degree of harm is insane; unless you are actively trying to support the coal industry.
Both of these alternatives are highly polluting , dangerous, toxic and also demanding waste depositories for their waste.
No. Not for any sane definition of the word 'highly'.

Coal is highly polluting, dangerous, toxic and also demands waste depositories for its waste.

Nuclear is so non-polluting that after sixty years, you can name in one breath all three locations on the planet that have been polluted by it. It is so safe that it kills fewer people than solar power; and it demands about a hectare of storage in total for all the waste it will ever produce.

That's a VERY CLEAR alternative.

They are the epitome of NONRENEWABLE.

What does concern me is not your opinion but the fact that somehow this monster problem facing us was given 12 days to come up with what would be done about it.
The problem of storage for intermittent renewable energy sources has been known about for decades.
We are six days in and we have a document with about two hundred fifty pages and 900 unresolved disagreements. On paper no less! There have already been 20 COP's that gave us nothing. That is because they are dominated by fossil fuel and nuclear energy corporations with their public relations programs and politicians on the take from these industries.
And because people like you do everything they can to support coal in what should, based on the facts, be a very one-sided battle between those two lobbies.
That is not that everyone there is like this, but enough are like this to queer any short term resolution of differences...and keep the progress as close to zero as possible so they can extend their record profits.
Or for whatever the hell your motive is; I presume you are not making money out of your support for coal.

I think they should not even be the focus of our remarks. The problem is even bigger than any of these outfits. We are a species that could be regarded as earthbound crust dwellers, living in a paper thin atmosphere on a rock that is still molten deep inside. What this conference is all about is the feedback from our limited environment to our actions. We are altering the chemical composition of our entire atmosphere and affecting the chemistry of our oceans and lands. These are the resources that are limited and that we all depend on, far more than the banks and oil companies. The resources we have to protect end up being our air and our water and arable land. The problem reduces about like that, the more extreme our insults to the environment. There is plenty of coal and oil and uranium. With each of these, we simply cannot stop polluting if we continue using them. They each represent their own threats to human survival and demand repositories for unredeemable wastes they produce. Some of the wastes they produce we have no way of controlling and sequestering from our environment.
Really? I don't think so.

If you think that there is any material we cannot control and sequester from our environment, then you have been watching too much science fiction. This is just matter; it acts in accordance with physics and chemistry. It's not 'The Blob' :rolleyes:

Failure to deal with the climate change problem will result in a reversal of man's progress on the planet.
YES. Which is why we need to stop burning coal and switch to nuclear and renewables NOW.
We are witnessing the quantitative convergence of CO2 waste with the limits our atmosphere can sustain without killing a lot of people. I don't think 12 days is enough time to do anything about it when even some of our best and most sincere efforts are apt to meet with some failure.
Then it's a good thing we are not limited in our actions to those that can be agreed in 12 days. This is COP21. There will be a COP22, 23, 24...
Dismal seems to find some humor in the death of birds due to windmills. It is happening. There are solutions to this problem. There are also solutions to storage of energy. Part of the solution is going to be conservation and abrupt reductions in the use of fossils and nukes and perfection of alternatives. None of this is going to happen over night. Solutions will not come without sincere efforts to leave the unsustainable energies behind and most of the proven oil reserves in the ground. Politicians should not erect barriers to the survival of their constituencies, but it appears they have little conscience when it come to those outside their minor domain. I think this whole problem belongs in the hands of scientists and technical workers who clearly understand the problem It should not be a matter of who has the money gets what he wants and everybody else (including some sinking Pacific islands) can just live with our addiction to oil and nukes.:thinking:
There you go again; Describing a problem with fossil fuels, and then tacking on 'and nukes' as though that made sense.

You may as well write "I think this whole problem belongs in the hands of scientists and technical workers who clearly understand the problem It should not be a matter of who has the money gets what he wants and everybody else (including some sinking Pacific islands) can just live with our addiction to oil and solar power."; that makes EXACTLY as much sense.

Nuclear power is toxic and makes waste products
Yes; So does almost EVERY industrial process.
there is no safe way to contain its waste.
Except ALL of the ways that we currently use, and a number of ways that are only being blocked by political lobbying.
You just can't do without extra power from nukes...
I have never once argued for 'extra' power; I am proposing replacement of coal with nuclear.
even if it makes Fukushimas and kills people you don't admit to.
Nobody has been killed by radiation from Fukushima. There is nothing to admit to.
You know you will not be having what you want. At some point we will be facing the same thing with nukes when cancer numbers go through the roof...like they did in the Soviet Union after Chernobyl and we will see soon in Japan.
This is barely coherent; but as far as I can understand it, it is simply wrong.
I hope you get a nuclear plant in your neighborhood soon and also agree to hosting nuclear waste dumps.
So do I.
I wouldn't want you to be unhappy and not have lots of what you want....but please leave the rest of the world out of it.
I'm sorry, but I can't do that; Their coal power plants are destroying the environment I need to live.
The beauty of Australia is it is so far away from the rest of us. Nuclear waste...cigarettes...what the hell who cares?
Cigarettes? I don't smoke; and my state has some of the strongest anti-smoking laws in the entire world. I have no clue what the fuck you are on about - what do cigarettes have to do with anything??
One carcinogen or another is bound to kill you anyway we make so many different kinds of waste.;)
The number of people who have died of cancer caused by the nuclear power industry in six decades is FAR lower than the number killed by cancer caused by the coal power industry in a single year. Fewer cancers are, in my mind, better; Quite why you are so upset about nuclear industry induced cancer that you prefer FAR MORE cancers induced by the coal power industry I do not know. It seems crazy to me.

Don't tell me what to write
I didn't. I told you that what you HAD WRITTEN was FUCKING CRAZY, and gave an example to illustrate JUST HOW CRAZY.

Letters to the Future on Climate Change: I Hope We Fixed This by Greta Christina
noting Letters to the Future | Home

Can we can develop renewable energy sources fast enough?

Dear Future Generations,

As I write this, I ask: can my fellow citizens of Planet Earth can develop renewable energy sources fast enough? That is a vital part of reducing carbon emissions, because it avoids forcing an awkward choice between an industrial lifestyle and avoiding global warming and climate disruption .Wind energy and solar energy have become economically competitive with fossil fuels for electricity generation. However, electricity-storage technologies and renewable-energy manufacture of synthetic fields ("synfuels") both continue to be uneconomical compared to fossil fuels, though they are improving. The December 2015 Paris Conference is currently going on, and I will be very disappointed if it does not appreciate the potential of renewable energy.

I focus on renewable energy since energy is necessary to make everything else happen. All our resource extraction, all our farming, all our food processing, all our transport, all our communications, all our information technology, and all our entertainment systems need energy to run, and without industrial-grade sources, we'd be thrown back to a ca. 1800 sort of existence, at best. Our current ones are driven by burning of fossil fuels, and they release CO2 into our atmosphere, and that's a big problem with them. Another problem with fossil fuels is that we are consuming them something like a million times faster than they have been produced, and they will likely last only a few decades to a few centuries more. Renewable energy sources like wind turbines and solar panels are free from those deficiencies. Wind will last for as long as the Earth has an atmosphere and solar energy as long as the Sun is luminous.

Renewable energy will make other good things much easier, like desalination of seawater and mining of garbage dumps, seawater, and ordinary rock. These will help solve some resource problems. it will also make automated manufacturing, robotics, and artificial intelligence easier, since it will guarantee their being powered.

If you are able to read this letter, that very likely means that we have succeeded, and that your information hardware is powered by renewable sources like wind turbines or solar panels.

There is geothermal energy. There is tidal energy. There is wind energy. There is solar energy.

And we either make these work or we have no sustainable future.

Geothermal: Good but limited. It can't produce anything like as much as we need.

Wind & solar: The same problem as always--they are intermittent. We don't have the storage systems to make it work.

We either make these options viable or we do not have sustainable energy.

But mindlessly driving over a cliff without any thought to move away from our current course, as it seems you are only able to suggest, is not the best option.

And it will take government action. Massive government action.

Ineffective things, like "the market", will never do it.

But mindlessly driving over a cliff without any thought to move away from our current course, as it seems you are only able to suggest, is not the best option.

In what way is nuclear unsustainable?

With fast breeder reactors , not only is uranium a sustainable resource; it would be possible to power the world for a few centuries without mining any more uranium - just using the current stock of 238U already above ground.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214993714000050

To answer these questions, it is necessary to ask what is understood by the term ‘sustainable’. The term ‘sustainable’ is generally understood to mean “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”. In the context of energy options, ‘sustainable’ implies the ability to provide energy for indefinitely long time periods (i.e., on a very large — civilization-spanning — time scale) without depriving future generations and in a way that is environmentally friendly, economically viable, safe and able to be delivered reliably. It should thus be concluded that the term ‘sustainable’ in this context is more restrictive than the term ‘renewable’ that is often applied to energy derived from wind, sunlight, biomass, waves, tides and geothermal resources, which for certain applications do not meet all the criteria of sustainability.

Nuclear energy from fission of uranium and plutonium is sustainable because it meets all of the above-mentioned criteria: Today's commercial uranium-fueled nuclear power plants can provide the world with clean, economical and reliable energy well into the next century on the basis of the already-identified uranium deposits. Furthermore, as was pointed out by Enrico Fermi already in the 1940s, nuclear reactors operating with ‘fast’ neutrons are capable to fission not only the rare isotope U-235 but also the fissionable isotopes generated from the transmutation of the abundant ‘fertile’ isotope U-238 (or Th-232). Thus the use of fast-neutron fission reactors (usually called ‘fast reactors’) transforms uranium into a truly inexhaustible energy source, because of their ability to harvest about one hundred times more energy from the same amount of mined uranium than the commercially available ‘thermal’ reactors operating with thermal neutrons. This fast-neutron fission technology has already been proven — all that is needed is to develop it to a commercial level and deploy it widely (for an extended discussion on the critical need for a near-term fast-reactor deployment, refer to a companion paper in this journal). The amount of depleted uranium (i.e., uranium from which most of the ‘fissile’ isotope U-235 has been removed) that is available and stored at enrichment plants in a number of countries, together with the uranium recoverable from used-fuel elements, contains enough energy to power the world for several hundred years without additional mining.

It has toxic byproducts.

That is not the model of sustainability.

It has toxic byproducts.

Show your calculations.

How much toxic byproduct per unit of energy is produced (using the most efficient economical method modern technology allows)? How much byproduct can be sustainably handled using the most efficient economical waste disposal method? Please demonstrate the how you arrived at the previous answer.

It has toxic byproducts.

Show your calculations.

How much toxic byproduct per unit of energy is produced (using the most efficient economical method modern technology allows)? How much byproduct can be sustainably handled using the most efficient economical waste disposal method? Please demonstrate the how you arrived at the previous answer.

Are you claiming there is no radioactive waste created with nuclear energy, because any is too much in a sustainable world.

Show your calculations.

Are you claiming there is no radioactive waste created with nuclear energy, because any is too much in a sustainable world.

You know perfectly well that he's not saying that. He's saying it can be stored without any problem.

Do you see any of us opposing research into more sustainable sources of power??

The problem is you are saying we should jump first and then make it work. That's like jumping from the plane and then checking your parachute.

It has toxic byproducts.

And the solar storage you were talking about earlier is based on lead-acid batteries. Lead is toxic.

Mining the rare earths to produce those cells is pretty harsh on the environment, also. That's why China is such a major producer of them--the producers are too connected for the laws to be enforced against them.

Show your calculations.

"Any"--proof your argument is garbage. Any standard based on zero pollution is impossible.

And note that in the very long run the radiation emission from nuclear power is negative. Given your paranoia about radiation you should be jumping for that.

(What's going on is if we don't dig up the uranium it decays and produces radon. That radon produces more exposure than the reactors do.)

You know very well that you're not actually having a conversation with anybody here.

Did I claim I was?

Yes. When you quote somebody's post and make a response, you are indicating that you are having a conversation with the person who's post you quoted about the subject matter which you quoted.

But unless the planet is an infinite waste dump creating toxic waste non-stop is not a sustainable plan.

Well then it's good that there are zero people on the planet, let alone in this conversation, who have put forward such a plan.

But unless the planet is an infinite waste dump creating toxic waste non-stop is not a sustainable plan.

Apparently the planet is a, so far, infinite waste dump since half of its biomass is decomposer.

Just trying to bring the discussion back on track here folks.

Again, the problems with nuclear aren't physical, they're attitudinal. Human fear of the unknowable generally trumps solutions for that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom