• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is the talk of violence regarding the US midterm elections serious or are they just idle threats?

I have seen people react violently to losing elections. I remember seeing a few weeks in a row of active protest going on with people dressed in black burning and destroying things. Especially trash cans. What have those black clad protestors got against trash cans?
I don't believe you.

I have seen people react violently to losing elections. I remember seeing a few weeks in a row of active protest going on with people dressed in black burning and destroying things. Especially trash cans. What have those black clad protestors got against trash cans?
I don't believe you.
You can't remember anything political from before last week, so of course you don't.

I still don't believe you. Instead of replying with snark, you could always reply with proof.

Crap, I forgot you don't do proof.
I've posted more evidence for my positions than you have ever done for yours. But that happened more than 2 weeks ago.
Jason, nobody here even knows your personal positions. Whenever pressed for them, you do your best to say absolutely nothing of any value about them.

Of course it's pretty easy to ascertain what they are to such a degree that we all have very strong suspicions as to what your personal views probably are and why you hold them, but at the end of the day that's all just speculation.

I think if you were to say outright something along the lines of "I hold to the principle that..." Or "if I had my way I would..." Or anything directly exposing your intents and the motives that drive those intents, you might literally cause some of the dinosaurs in this land of the lost to lose heart function.

So by now you've all probably heard Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul was attacked in his home by a right-wing nut bag who wanted to get to Nancy. Bag is in custody and the main charge against him is attempted murder.

I think if you were to say outright something along the lines of "I hold to the principle that..." Or "if I had my way I would..." Or anything directly exposing your intents and the motives that drive those intents, you might literally cause some of the dinosaurs in this land of the lost to lose heart function.
Don't hold your breath.
In a completely unrelated observation, the ignore function on this board works very well, especially to mitigate the annoyance of posters who are only an 80-90% waste of time, since it's easy to un-hide and read a specific post if one so desires.

So by now you've all probably heard Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul was attacked in his home by a right-wing nut bag who wanted to get to Nancy. Bag is in custody and the main charge against him is attempted murder.
I think all newscasters are Libberpublicans - they're still saying we can't speculate about the motives of the murderous trumpsucker.

It's a tragedy, and the people who planned this attack, if there is more to it than a simple "line" nutjob, need to all be put up.

At the same time, I hope this rouses folks into action to be less complacent about what is happening.

Well, I hope this answers the OP question about whether we need to take the threats seriously...

Who is "we" and what's y'all's problem? Are you all married to Speakers of The House or something?
Nobody got killed here and there was minimal property damage. So, a guy was injured - he can join the club of the million people injured or killed in home invasions annually because of liberal Democrats' radical social policies. Who the injured party is married to shouldn't matter. There's no evidence that there was anything political about this, but right away, there are the Democrats, trying to politicize and use this poor brain damaged guy as a pawn in their political game. Some hearsay rumors they started about him mentioning Nancy is just speculative or made up fake news. Besides - is mentioning Nancy a crime? (It should be of course). We send the injured citizen our thoughts and prayers, and will determine the reason behind the act that caused his injury.
The main takeaway is (as usual) DON'T LET THIS DETER YOU FROM VOTING FOR AN ELECTION DENYER!

Lawmakers Confront a Rise in Threats and Intimidation, and Fear Worse - The New York Times - Oct. 1, 2022 - "Violent political speech has increasingly crossed into the realm of in-person confrontation for members of Congress in both parties, raising the prospect of a disastrous event."
In Bangor, Maine, an unknown visitor smashed a storm window at Senator Susan Collins’s home.

In Seattle, a man who had sent an angry email to Representative Pramila Jayapal repeatedly showed up outside the lawmaker’s house, armed with a semiautomatic handgun and shouting threats and profanities.

In Queens, a man who had traveled across the country waited in a cafe across the street from Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s office to confront her, part of a near-constant stream of threats and harassment that has prompted the congresswoman to switch her sleeping location at times and seek protection from a 24-hour security detail.

Then noting How Threats Against Politicians Are Surging - The New York Times - Feb. 9, 2022 - "A review of threats against members of Congress shows how a mainstreaming of violent political speech has prompted a growing number of Americans to target elected officials." - "The threats have come in almost every conceivable combination: Republicans threatening Democrats, Democrats threatening Republicans, Republicans threatening Republicans"

Nonwhite Congressmembers (Hispanic, Black, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American ones) spent on average more than $17,500 than their white colleagues, Democrats more than $9,000 than Republicans, and the Jan. 6 Committee more than $5,000 than what Congressmembers typically spend.

Rep. Liz Cheney: $70,000, Cori Bush: $400,000, Raphael Warnock: $900,000, Ted Cruz: $600,000.
Many members of Congress say the process of getting extra support from the Capitol Police has been opaque and inconsistent.

It took two and a half years for Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, who is among the most threatened members of the House, to receive additional security from the Capitol Police, she said in an interview. The decision was made after the department flagged a tweet that it found to be threatening toward her.

“When I saw what it was, I was like, ‘I’ve gotten so much worse,’” Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said. “Why now?”

She said her office can hardly keep up with the “astronomical” amount of threats she receives in a day — more than any other member except House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California, and Representative Ilhan Omar, Democrat of Minnesota, according to what party leaders have told her. The onus is on the aides who answer the phones in her office — some as young as 19 — to determine what constitutes a threat.

So Ms. Ocasio-Cortez has taken matters into her own hands. Her office has a daily morning routine of creating a document with photos of the men who have made threats against the congresswoman, so that she can recognize and avoid or report them. Since 2021, she has spent more than $120,000 on security services, according to the data analyzed by The Times.

Well, here’s an interesting juxtaposition of a report on the Pelosi attacker and the shit that Fox News spews out. Note that the Fox News reporter calls him a believer in conspiracy theories!

so yeah, we need to take the threat seriously. It will get 10x worse in 2024!

It will get 10x worse in 2024!
That’s why I wish Capitol Police had been able and willing to mow down the Trumpsucking traitors when they breached police lines on 1/6. Regardless of what happened next, that would have put a stop to this bullshit, or forced it to be dealt with before this election.

Reactions: SLD
Jason, nobody here even knows your personal positions. Whenever pressed for them, you do your best to say absolutely nothing of any value about them.

Not true, but convenient to say.

Been there, done that, had it ignored so that people could continue to say otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom