• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is the universe alive?

Dear mountainman,

We have your universe. If you want it to continue living, send us all teh moneyz.

With deep affection,

The Physicalist universe-nappers.

Oh I could imagine if the planets were alive.

Picture this:

Saturn turns up at a dinner party and Uranus whispers to Jupiter: 'Saturn always wears those over the tops rings around her middle. You would think she would get a new set of rings!'

:D

As living things are known to exist (Earth) and living things are inseparable from the Universe (matter energy), life is an aspect of the Universe on at least one planet. Consequently, it may be reasonable to say: ''there is a small part of the Universe (at least on Earth), that is indeed alive''

As living things are known to exist (Earth) and living things are inseparable from the Universe (matter energy), life is an aspect of the Universe on at least one planet. Consequently, it may be reasonable to say: ''there is a small part of the Universe (at least on Earth), that is indeed alive''

True, but it is a truly minuscule proportion of the whole universe. It's an almost unimaginably small fraction of the Earth; astronomically smaller proportion of the Solar System, and as a fraction of the universe, the portion that is alive is close enough to zero as to be unimportant.

You would need an astonishing number of decimal places to spot the difference between the fraction of the universe known to be alive and zero.

If the universe is a living thing, then it is possible for it to die, since mortality is a property shared by all living things.

We wouldn't want anything to happen to your universe now would we? Lots of dangerous accidents that can befall a universe making its way in the universe. I think you need to be paying for protection.

How about this, I'll insure that none of your major galactic clusters get done over for 15 bob a week.

If the universe is a living thing, then it is possible for it to die, since mortality is a property shared by all living things.

We wouldn't want anything to happen to your universe now would we? Lots of dangerous accidents that can befall a universe making its way in the universe. I think you need to be paying for protection.

How about this, I'll insure that none of your major galactic clusters get done over for 15 bob a week.

What a nice Solar System you have there. Lovely gas giants. Lots of hydrogen and methane in a gas giant. Be a shame if someone was careless with a match. I expect you'll be wanting some... Insurance.

What a nice Solar System you have there. Lovely gas giants. Lots of hydrogen and methane in a gas giant. Be a shame if someone was careless with a match. I expect you'll be wanting some... Insurance.

I spot a potential scam there Bilby. Similar to funeral insurance etc. :D

You would need an astonishing number of decimal places to spot the difference between the fraction of the universe known to be alive and zero.
Yes but God has a Super Calculator that is bigger than anything you will ever have with a good many number of decimal places. :sadyes:

And the smallest of differences will always matter to Him! :p
EB

It does engender all living things.
Engender? Endanger? :p

No-no, not at all, all living things are part of the universe. That's an entirely different relation.

The universe precisely engenders nothing. So the universe is nothing. :(

Reasonning by analogy maybe sometimes is creative but mostly it produces crap.
EB

No it's not. Just because it encapsulates life, doesn't make it alive. If I have a butterfly in a jar, I don't say the jar is alive. I don't see a point in mincing words that way. It only obscures communication.

Define 'alive'. If the definition is vague enough then sure, the Universe is alive.

Reality itself is a thinking thing, and the object of its own thinking.--Parmenides
~~~
Life is the Absolute, it is the cause of itself, it is the substance of all realities, and all infinite existence is a living reality.--Harry Waton

Define 'alive'. If the definition is vague enough then sure, the Universe is alive.

Define 'alive'. If the definition is vague enough then, sure, we are alive. :sadyes:
EB

We've got spacetime, which reacts to everything within it.

We've got various particles, which react to one another, and spacetime.

We've got more complex unified constructs of particles and spacetime, in certain select areas of the universe in which the unified constructs can coexist with the particles and spacetime which precede them in existence.

It just so happens being a kid in the universal scheme of things is... well, a bit more work than being apparent to the consciousnesses that precede you.

Oh I could imagine if the planets were alive.

Picture this:

Saturn turns up at a dinner party and Uranus whispers to Jupiter: 'Saturn always wears those over the tops rings around her middle. You would think she would get a new set of rings!'

I very much regret to inform you that Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus and I, all of us, are normal, straight, MALES, in spite of our strange beginnings, and in spite of being, in some versions, Greek-born Greeks.. We are not what some call Queers, nor are we Butch Lesbians.
If Saturn wears the same rings all the time it's because HE chooses to do so.

You and all on this thread will please not question or negate any statement in this message that Mercury or anyone else may bring you, nor its language, nor anything about it. If there are any errors in it I am well aware of them all and just chose not to edit them.
If you so much as think that this is not authentic, you may find that you will only meet Hades, when you cross Styx, and will fail to meet any of us from Olympus. And then even Gaia, who admittedly is a woman and some say our mother, and thus on both accounts, and as always for women, the ultimate cause of all the troubles in our Universe, even She will not be able to help you.

I am, Madam, your and everybody else's Lord and Master,

___________________ Zeus. http://talkfreethought.org/images/smilies/more/boom.gif

The Absolute is absolute thought, existence is thought, the realities of existence are forms of thought, and we are only a form of thought. Thought can comprehend thought. When the philosophers and the scientists will realize this, they will no longer raise any objection against anthropomorphism. The truth that thought is the substance of all realities was perceived by profound thinkers long ago, but it took science a long time to perceive this truth.--Harry Waton, A true monistic philosophy v. 1, p. 54.​

This is a black hole producing universe. A bi product of this type of universe is this complex adaptive emergent phenomenon we call life.

Back
Top Bottom