• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is there a God of atheism?

Unknown Soldier

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Truth Seeker
I've often heard the religious, Christians in particular, refer to a "God of atheism." Depending on where you get your definitions, "God of atheism" appears to be an oxymoron. Many atheists define themselves as people without belief in God(s). Other atheists might see themselves as those who deny and argue against the objective existence of God(s). For them, God is just a figment of the imagination. They can't have a God if God is merely what other people cook up.

So although a God of atheism appears to be a very implausible idea, I don't see it as completely wrong-headed. Atheists can defend their faith with tenacity at least as fierce as theists defend their beliefs. Atheists have some unproved ideas that are upheld not with valid reason or strong evidence but with anger, abuse, and if possible, forced silence. That kind of behavior appears indicative of theistic belief--you must help God if he is to help you. Now, I'm not saying that atheists actually worship an all-mighty, anthropomorphic God sitting on a throne in the sky. But there does seem to be a counterpart there. Some central figure of existence who is truth itself who is to be served and pleased.

Are there corners on a circle?
Depending on how you define "corner", the question might equally be "is there any part of a circle lacking corners?" /Stupid pedantry

... So although a God of atheism appears to be a very implausible idea, I don't see it as completely wrong-headed. Atheists can defend their faith with tenacity at least as fierce as theists defend their beliefs. Atheists have some unproved ideas that are upheld not with valid reason or strong evidence but with anger, abuse, and if possible, forced silence. That kind of behavior appears indicative of theistic belief--you must help God if he is to help you. Now, I'm not saying that atheists actually worship an all-mighty, anthropomorphic God sitting on a throne in the sky. But there does seem to be a counterpart there. Some central figure of existence who is truth itself who is to be served and pleased.

Exactly. Unlike Christians, who can't agree on whether their hero was born in Bethlehem or in Nazareth, atheists are completely uniform in their thinking. No sense trying to reason with one: They all have the exact same talking points which they regurgitate, word for word, over and over.

Atheists even have their own Ninety-Five Theses. If a would-be atheist adheres to only 94 of the theses, he will never be granted an official membership card. I once applied for membership in the Church of Atheism; memorized their catechism (lengthier than anything the Roman church has); took the pledge of allegiance to the God of Atheism; and was still denied membership. Just because I had some slight qualms about Theses #86 and #88. I bowed and prayed, facing Sodom and Gomorrah, and was given 2 years probation. Next March we'll find out whether my Belief in no God but the God of Atheism is strong enough to earn me an official membership card.

Kudos to Unknown Soldier for pointing out this hypocrisy.

I've often heard the religious, Christians in particular, refer to a "God of atheism." Depending on where you get your definitions, "God of atheism" appears to be an oxymoron. Many atheists define themselves as people without belief in God(s). Other atheists might see themselves as those who deny and argue against the objective existence of God(s). For them, God is just a figment of the imagination. They can't have a God if God is merely what other people cook up.

So although a God of atheism appears to be a very implausible idea, I don't see it as completely wrong-headed. Atheists can defend their faith with tenacity at least as fierce as theists defend their beliefs. Atheists have some unproved ideas that are upheld not with valid reason or strong evidence but with anger, abuse, and if possible, forced silence. That kind of behavior appears indicative of theistic belief--you must help God if he is to help you. Now, I'm not saying that atheists actually worship an all-mighty, anthropomorphic God sitting on a throne in the sky. But there does seem to be a counterpart there. Some central figure of existence who is truth itself who is to be served and pleased.

Yawn.

Atheists can defend their faith with tenacity at least as fierce as theists defend their beliefs. Atheists have some unproved ideas that are upheld not with valid reason or strong evidence but with anger, abuse, and if possible, forced silence.

Could you be more specific?
Personally, I don't think you can. I think you're making up vague accusations you can't support. You're stretching the meaning of words like God and Faith beyond the breaking point.

I'll totally agree that there are atheists who are irritatingly pig headed about some ideology they're attached to. That's true of any big group of humans. But that doesn't make it Faith.
Tom

The repose to the thread is a 'slam dunk;.

metaphor

noun
noun: metaphor; plural noun: metaphors

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
"her poetry depends on suggestion and metaphor"

Wall Street investors worship the god of profit and greed.

Figuring out what a god of atheism may mean when said by Christians is let as an exercise for the student.

High school English composition.

• A colloquialism, sometimes referred to collectively as "colloquial language,” is a phrase that is common in everyday, unconstrained conversation, rather than in formal speech or academic writing. o Dictionaries often display colloquial words and phrases with the abbreviation colloq. as an identifier.

God only knows.
God damn it!

So, in summary:

People who are highly committed to stupid and incorrect ideas often project their stupidity and their incorrect ideas onto those who disagree with them, and are frequently incapable of grasping that the fundamental errors they are themselves making are not, in fact, universal.

They might, sometimes, be right to do this; Therefore people who disagree with those who are committed to stupid and incorrect ideas might, sometimes, be hypocrites.

Conclusion: "Atheist" is thus a synonym of "hypocrite", and they're all poopy-pants who are nasty and smelly, and who smell of poo. So there.

Hold on a tick. I thought my club membership amounted to the $$ I send to the ACLU and FFRF, being snide to all church goers, sometimes tripping people with canes, laughing about Onan jerking off and Noah building an ark when he was 600, and just being mean-spirited all the time. I do all that, but NOW you're saying I can appeal to some Higher Power of Atheism to receive, I don't know, wisdom? Serenity? An extra income stream?
I want my endowments!!

Now, you got me. I worship dogs. After all, dog spelled backwards is god, so why wouldn't I worship the most loving, loyal little creatures on the planet? I have two little gods sitting near me right now. Unlike the Christian god, they never judge me. They are very forgiving if their meal time is delayed or I'm out of their favorite treats. Of course, since I worship dogs, I'm a polytheist, and I've had many little gods over the course of my lifetime, because just like humans, my gods aren't immortal.

Personally, I believe there are only two things worshiping….. cats and bacon. When they create a bacon cat god, (cat bacon just sounds WRONG), then I will convert!
cattapebacon2.jpg

Clearly You People Thought I Was Kidding

Now, you got me. I worship dogs. After all, dog spelled backwards is god, so why wouldn't I worship the most loving, loyal little creatures on the planet?

You're the one who has it backwards.
When it comes to their humans,

Dog: He feeds me. He walks me. He pets me. He shelters me.
I'll do anything for him. He must be god.

Cat: He feeds me. He shelters me. He pets me. He even scoops my litter box. I never do a damn thing I don't want to. I must be god.

Tom

I think I know what Unknown Soldier is looking for.

”We atheists worship Stalin.”

There, you can take that to CARM, post it out of context, and pretend it was a serious response. Your fellow Christians will love you for it.

I think I know what Unknown Soldier is looking for.

”We atheists worship Stalin.”

There, you can take that to CARM, post it out of context, and pretend it was a serious response. Your fellow Christians will love you for it.
Oddly (or perhaps not) there actually is a religious sect, mostly in Georgia (where Stalin was born), who do worship Stalin as a God.

I saw an interview with a member of the group, who had lived under Stalin's rule, and he said something along the lines of "Stalin has all the attributes that the Orthodox Church tells us God has. He is distant, but you can ask for his favour; He can raise you up or destroy you on a whim; He controls everything. The difference between Stalin and God is that I have seen Stalin, and so I know he is real".

Now, you got me. I worship dogs. After all, dog spelled backwards is god, so why wouldn't I worship the most loving, loyal little creatures on the planet? I have two little gods sitting near me right now. Unlike the Christian god, they never judge me. They are very forgiving if their meal time is delayed or I'm out of their favorite treats. Of course, since I worship dogs, I'm a polytheist, and I've had many little gods over the course of my lifetime, because just like humans, my gods aren't immortal.
You see, you just said why cats are gods! They DO sit in judgment of you if their meal is late. And while I am forgiven, I am not sure it has been forgotten! And it is a shame they don’t live as long as us.

Back
Top Bottom