• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

We know he plugged it in and set the alarm to go off in the middle of class, as the clock had no other power source.
That's not uncertain. We don't know if the battery was there or not, but certainly, if the clock had been plugged in the teacher should have noticed. To me it seems rather more likely that the clock was on a battery at that time. As for setting an alarm, forgetting that the alarm is on is a simple mistake, and it going off sometime during a class is not that unlikely.

Most battery backups that I've come across are there just to maintain the proper time and internal programming (if any) during the power outage. You generally do not have a fully functional device. Once the power is restored, the device will come back on with the proper time and programmed settings. For example, sprinkler system controllers have battery backups, but they will not operate the individual valves during the loss of AC power. They will maintain the proper time and sprinkler on/off programming for you so you don't have to reenter it all in again. Small little batteries often don't have the ability to power large power drains like valves or alarms.

My own alarm clock has a 9V battery backup. Out of curiousity, this morning I put in a brand new 9V battery, and set the alarm to go off in two minutes. I then unplugged it from the wall. The LED display went dead immediately, and the alarm did not go off at the programmed time. When I plugged it back in a few minutes later, the display came on to the proper time and the alarm was beeping. Although I can't be sure, I suspect this is the way Ahmed's and most alarm clock battery backups work. Especially Ahmed's, since his LED display was so huge. I don't see a little 9V battery powering that big thing for very long. This makes sense, as the main purpose of the backup is to ensure that you don't miss your alarm in the morning, due to a momentary AC outage during the night. If the battery was powering up a big display during a power outage in the night, that would deplete the battery pretty fast...maybe that night. And besides, who needs to look at the display while you're sleeping? Of course, if the power outage lasts through the morning, you're screwed, in which case you may want to bring out granny's old wind up clock instead.

Last edited:
***sigh***

I never said you did. I said I didn't say it. The trail was
Axulus said:
We know he plugged it in and set the alarm to go off in the middle of class, as the clock had no other power source.
Playball40 said:
I read no such thing. Do you have a citation for this claim?
barbos said:
That's logical inference from apparent absence of the battery in the picture.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice and read what was posted before you insult people?

I merely informed you that I did not say it either, and your informing me that you did not say that was pretty pointless to begin with because I have nothing against people who say that. In short, you were barking at the wrong tree and I informed you of that fact.

That's not uncertain. We don't know if the battery was there or not, but certainly, if the clock had been plugged in the teacher should have noticed. To me it seems rather more likely that the clock was on a battery at that time. As for setting an alarm, forgetting that the alarm is on is a simple mistake, and it going off sometime during a class is not that unlikely.

Most battery backups that I've come across are there just to maintain the proper time and internal programming (if any) during the power outage. You generally do not have a fully functional device. Once the power is restored, the device will come back on with the proper time and programmed settings. For example, sprinkler system controllers have battery backups, but they will not operate the individual valves during the loss of AC power. They will maintain the proper time and sprinkler on/off programming for you so you don't have to reenter it all in again. Small little batteries often don't have the ability to power large power drains like valves or alarms.

My own alarm clock has a 9V battery backup. Out of curiousity, this morning I put in a brand new 9V battery, and set the alarm to go off in two minutes. I then unplugged it from the wall. The LED display went dead immediately, and the alarm did not go off at the programmed time. When I plugged it back in a few minutes later, the display came on to the proper time and the alarm was beeping. Although I can't be sure, I suspect this is the way Ahmed's and most alarm clock battery backups work. Especially Ahmed's, since his LED display was so huge. I don't see a little 9V battery powering that big thing for very long.
Well, sleeping through because of outage would suck. 9V battery is perfectly capable of providing alarm.
Anyway, it's very interesting fact you provided. They should check if that clock have alarm without AC power. Maybe that genius modified that clock so it has alarm from backup battery :)

I merely informed you that I did not say it either, and your informing me that you did not say that was pretty pointless to begin with because I have nothing against people who say that. In short, you were barking at the wrong tree and I informed you of that fact.

Right. The "stupid questions" comment was just to politely clarify the situation.

I'm done with this pissing match. A certain group are going to keep inventing unsupportable hypothetical situations to justify their presumption of guilt and nothing is going to change their minds. Fine. Just hope you don't do that on a jury someday.

Right. The "stupid questions" comment was just to politely clarify the situation.

I'm done with this pissing match. A certain group are going to keep inventing unsupportable hypothetical situations to justify their presumption of guilt and nothing is going to change their minds. Fine. Just hope you don't do that on a jury someday.
I belong to a minority here, and frankly it was not me who started this pissing match and pissing off people who value facts instead of stupid media narrative.

My own alarm clock has a 9V battery backup. Out of curiousity, this morning I put in a brand new 9V battery, and set the alarm to go off in two minutes. I then unplugged it from the wall. The LED display went dead immediately, and the alarm did not go off at the programmed time. When I plugged it back in a few minutes later, the display came on to the proper time and the alarm was beeping. Although I can't be sure, I suspect this is the way Ahmed's and most alarm clock battery backups work. Especially Ahmed's, since his LED display was so huge. I don't see a little 9V battery powering that big thing for very long. This makes sense, as the main purpose of the backup is to ensure that you don't miss your alarm in the morning, due to a momentary AC outage during the night. If the battery was powering up a big display during a power outage in the night, that would deplete the battery pretty fast...maybe that night. And besides, who needs to look at the display while you're sleeping? Of course, if the power outage lasts through the morning, you're screwed, in which case you may want to bring out granny's old wind up clock instead.
You make a good point. But what if, instead of being an alarm, the clock was beeping due to low battery? To me it just seems rather odd that Ahmed would have had a cord coming out of his backpack and to the wall during class, and nobody noticed.

You make a good point. But what if, instead of being an alarm, the clock was beeping due to low battery? To me it just seems rather odd that Ahmed would have had a cord coming out of his backpack and to the wall during class, and nobody noticed.
I rather doubt that these things designed to beep at low power, and even if they do that it would be awfully unlikely that it just happened to discharge at that particular moment. AC socket could be on the side of the desk, or in other convenient place where it's not noticeable.

It could be either way. I hope someone asks Ahmed these hard-hitting clock questions, or tracks down one of the teachers (although they might not want to get involved).

It could be either way. I hope someone asks Ahmed these hard-hitting clock questions, or tracks down one of the teachers (although they might not want to get involved).
Well, Obama, Zuckerberg, MIT jumped in, it would be hard to not let it go.
And I am pretty sure some of these people regret jumping in prematurely.

Before I came to this forum, I would have been surprised that there are people who would willingly offer excuses for the behavior of the school officials and the police. To my dismay, I am no longer surprised at all.

If someone says police was wrong "interrogating" the kid without parents or lawyers, it's fine with me, I am not a good judge on legal stuff.
But don't tell me that kid and his father are absolutely and positively clean and truthful.

It seems to be that his family is preventing the school from speaking about what actually happened.

According to this, anyway:

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/l...arents-should-let-the-full-facts-come-out.ece

No, it doesnt. It is making ugly insinuations but has no facts supporting them.

If someone says police was wrong "interrogating" the kid without parents or lawyers, it's fine with me, I am not a good judge on legal stuff.
But don't tell me that kid and his father are absolutely and positively clean and truthful.
What actual evidence do you have that suggests that his child and his father are not absolutely and positively clean and truthful?

What actual evidence do you have that suggests that his child and his father are not absolutely and positively clean and truthful?

What does that even mean? What is the purpose of "positively clean and truthful?"

A kid put together a clock. The kid never said it was anything but a clock. Adults, who are supposed to know what to do,
  1. thought it was bomb
  2. thought it was a hoax bomb
  3. now think it was a clock all along

Along the way to this startling revelation, they did nothing with the bomb then hoax bomb then clock, but they did call the police, and FIVE police officers, interrogated the boy, arrested the boy and took him into custody.

This was not about the device, it was about the boy.

And all this hubbub after, is still about the boy.

BTW, by what standard does this clock look like a bomb?

What evidence do you have that the teachers and the police aren't? We don't know what happened exactly and the family is apparently not letting the police or the school discuss the details, which seems a bit fishy. I think more information is required, which right now should come mostly from the family, before condemning either party.

Some questions that I'd like to see answered, off the top of my head:

1) Was the clock on battery power or plugged in when the alarm went off during the English class?
2) What did the police mean when they say Ahmed was being "passive-aggressive" exactly?
3) What's the engineering teacher's version of events? Or the english teacher's for that matter.
4) Did Ahmed mention to the police that he had showed it to the engineering teacher? Did they contact him at that time?
5) Why did the police take him in, rather than call Ahmed's parents from the school?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom