• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

You can read about the mayor of Irving who is defending the actions of the school and police here.
Dallas Morning News said:
The dispute has made Mayor Beth Van Duyne a hero among a fringe movement that believes Muslims — a tiny fraction of the U.S. population — are plotting to take over American culture and courts.
I'm sure the kid have the last name "Mohamed" had no influence on the way he was treated.:rolleyes:

Is the mayor also the English teacher at the school?

You can read about the mayor of Irving who is defending the actions of the school and police here.

I'm sure the kid have the last name "Mohamed" had no influence on the way he was treated.:rolleyes:

Well there you go. Refer to Texas education comment above.

I had a white high school friend whose science olympaid project (a device that has to demonstrate ~6 energy transfers in rube goldberg type fashion, during a precise time window). It was box shaped, made out of wood, and inside it there were some wires and electronics. On our trip to nationals at the university of deleware, the device got torn apart by airport security as a suspicous device and possibly a bomb.

The next time we went to nationals in colorado springs, his parents drove it all the way down.

Here are photos of the device from others in this event:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mis...ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIwKvVpN3-xwIVBy-ICh12EQR1

Now, the arrest and the suspension was just stupid and the school and police should apologize for that. However, can you really blame the teacher for reporting it and the school investigating it? Isn't this how government operates and how the democratic public wants it to operate? Better to report and investigate 1,000 false positives than to have 1 false negative and lose tens of millions of dollars in the resulting lawsuits and potentially have dead students on your hands?

I had a white high school friend whose science olympaid project (a device that has to demonstrate ~6 energy transfers in rube goldberg type fashion, during a precise time window). It was box shaped, made out of wood, and inside it there were some wires and electronics. On our trip to nationals at the university of deleware, the device got torn apart by airport security as a suspicous device and possibly a bomb.

The next time we went to nationals in colorado springs, his parents drove it all the way down.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mis...ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIwKvVpN3-xwIVBy-ICh12EQR1

Now, the arrest and the suspension was just stupid and the school and police should apologize for that. However, can you really blame the teacher for reporting it and the school investigating it? Isn't this how government operates and how the democratic public wants it to operate? Better to report and investigate 1,000 false positives than to have 1 false negative and lose tens of millions of dollars in the resulting lawsuits and potentially have dead students on your hands?

Can I blame the teacher? Yes. Can i blame the school? Yes. At no point when this "bomb" was being "investigated," was the school evacuated. Makes me wonder just how worried that this device was a bomb the authorities were. And the student wasn't arrested until last period. His encounter with his English teacher was second period, plenty of time to examine the device, know it is not a bomb, and instead of perp walking a 14 year old out of the school at the end of the day, giving him back his clock.

I taught school for eight years. When we had a bomb threat phoned in, no bomb to be seen anywhere, we evacuated the school. THAT is procedure. I had two such evacuations when I was teaching. Never was a bomb, just kids prank calling, but we evacuated just the same. Now here we have a teacher LOOKING at an actual device and NOBODY moves the students?

Something is rotten in the state of Texas, and I don't mean brisket.

Here is the clock in question:

View attachment 4135

I suspect you would have some trouble getting that through airport security.

Wait. You are defending the people who charged this kid for making a clock?

Of course you do. He's not Christian and he's not white. How silly of me to assume otherwise.

a) the kid was not charged
b) I have no idea how you got that.

Can I blame the teacher? Yes. Can i blame the school? Yes. At no point when this "bomb" was being "investigated," was the school evacuated. Makes me wonder just how worried that this device was a bomb the authorities were. And the student wasn't arrested until last period. His encounter with his English teacher was second period, plenty of time to examine the device, know it is not a bomb, and instead of perp walking a 14 year old out of the school at the end of the day, giving him back his clock.

I taught school for eight years. When we had a bomb threat phoned in, no bomb to be seen anywhere, we evacuated the school. THAT is procedure. I had two such evacuations when I was teaching. Never was a bomb, just kids prank calling, but we evacuated just the same. Now here we have a teacher LOOKING at an actual device and NOBODY moves the students?

Here is a thought experiment: you are the teacher. Someone brings to school something that looks like a clip from AK47. The kid says it's just a pencil case. Do you report it, or do you let it slide because the clip itself obviously poses no immediate danger?

That's not to say the teacher isn't stupid, and that they couldn't have checked with the science teacher before calling the cops, but I can understand the thought process that happened once he or she got into her head that the clock might be a part of a bomb. And then of course when cops get in, they assume the worst, because Texas, and even when they do figure out they were wrong they'll do their best to try find some justification for having cracked down on an innocent kid, because cops.

I understand that you want to justify this for spurious reasons, but it still doesn't make sense.

Elsewhere in the country, another 14 year old kid tried building an actual nuclear reactor. Instead of being arrested and charged, the Department of Homeland Security offered to help him build it.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/white-kid-builds-nuclear-reactor-and-homeland-security-offers-help/

Based on your argument, shouldn't this kid have been arrested and investigated just to be safe? How many lawsuits would have been faced had he built an actual nuclear weapon and used it? With such horrifying consequences, we as a democracy should have immediately shut that kid down as quickly as possible. Just to be safe.

Except that isn't what happened, is it?

Here is a thought experiment: you are the teacher. Someone brings to school something that looks like a clip from AK47. The kid says it's just a pencil case. Do you report it, or do you let it slide because the clip itself obviously poses no immediate danger?

That's not to say the teacher isn't stupid, and that they couldn't have checked with the science teacher before calling the cops, but I can understand the thought process that happened once he or she got into her head that the clock might be a part of a bomb. And then of course when cops get in, they assume the worst, because Texas, and even when they do figure out they were wrong they'll do their bestto try find some excuse, because cops.
That does not explain or justify the fuckwitted actions (the letter, the suspension, etc...) after they knew it was not a bomb.

Just once, I would like to see a political discussion involving a rightist that didn't involve a tu quoque fallacy. You know, just to see what it would be like.

"Liberals are just as bad because they overreacted to a gun-shaped pop-tart!"

Seriously, I make lampoon arguments like the above, and everyone gets their panties in a twist because I'm making rightists look bad, but here we have an actual rightist offering an actual argument every bit as ridiculous as any of my "liberals are just as bad!" lampoon posts. Sigh.

You confiscate the item, send the child to the principal's office, call the child's parents, turn the item over to the recourse officer. This ain't deep. And arrests and perp walks ain't necessary. If it is a clip, parents and child take a trip to police station. If it isn't, student goes back to class, parents go back to work, and the everybody goes back to business as usual. Either way, what happened in Irving doesn't happen.
That's not to say the teacher isn't stupid, and that they couldn't have checked with the science teacher before calling the cops, but I can understand the thought process that happened once he or she got into her head that the clock might be a part of a bomb. And then of course when cops get in, they assume the worst, because Texas, and even when they do figure out they were wrong they'll do their best to try find some justification for having cracked down on an innocent kid, because cops.
If you were worried about a bomb, would you let students stay in the blast range?

Just once, I would like to see a political discussion involving a rightist that didn't involve a tu quoque fallacy. You know, just to see what it would be like.

Seriously, I make lampoon arguments like the above, and everyone gets their panties in a twist because I'm making rightists look bad, but here we have an actual rightist offering an actual argument every bit as ridiculous as any of my "liberals are just as bad!" lampoon posts. Sigh.

Um, school teachers in Irving are almost certainly liberals.

That's not to say the teacher isn't stupid, and that they couldn't have checked with the science teacher before calling the cops, but I can understand the thought process that happened once he or she got into her head that the clock might be a part of a bomb. And then of course when cops get in, they assume the worst, because Texas, and even when they do figure out they were wrong they'll do their bestto try find some excuse, because cops.
That does not explain or justify the fuckwitted actions (the letter, the suspension, etc...) after they knew it was not a bomb.
No, it doesn't. But it kind of explains why the school wasn't evacuated immediately.

Ya, that's the weirdest part. They thought they might have a bomb but then ... had the bomb sitting around in the principal's office all day before calling the police?

That doesn't sound like people who were overly concerned about it actually being a bomb.

You confiscate the item, send the child to the principal's office, call the child's parents, turn the item over to the recourse officer. This ain't deep. And arrests and perp walks ain't necessary. If it is a clip, parents and child take a trip to police station. If it isn't, student goes back to class, parents go back to work, and the everybody goes back to business as usual. Either way, what happened in Irving doesn't happen.
If you were worried about a bomb, would you let students stay in the blast range?
And if you are worried about an AK-47 in a school, why let kids stay in the shooting range?

The point being, that the kid's treatment is not because they though the device was a bomb (it was probably fairly straightforward to see there were no explosives in the case, even for a layman), but that they thought he was a terrorists or aiding a terrorist by building timers for a bomb, or whatever else you'd expect from a muslim with a name Ahmed Mohammed. I'm not saying that's not a stupid conclusion, but it explains why they wouldn't empty the entire school.

No, but as the mayor was re-elected her views represent that of the majority of her constituents (many of whom beyond the English teach were involved). I suspect that the engineering teacher who warned the student not to show the clock to anyone else recognized that.

And if you are worried about an AK-47 in a school, why let kids stay in the shooting range?
Were did the gun come from? YOU said a possible clip. Once the item is in school custody, and the student is sitting in the principal's office where s/he is being watched, what?
The point being, that the kid's treatment is not because they though the device was a bomb (it was probably fairly straightforward to see there were no explosives in the case, even for a layman), but that they thought he was a terrorists or aiding a terrorist by building timers for a bomb, or whatever else you'd expect from a muslim with a name Ahmed Mohammed. I'm not saying that's not a stupid conclusion, but it explains why they wouldn't empty the entire school.
So that was your point? that the school is lying in order to harass a Muslim student?

It wasn't a tu quoque fallacy; pointing out that school administration in America is psychotic everywhere is not an attack on conservatives or a defense of liberals.

This article talks about others:

“Little Boy Suspended for Pointing Finger Like a Laser Gun.”
“School Suspends Kid for Twirling Pencil & Subjects him to 5-HOUR Evaluation!”
“Kid Twirls a Pencil in Class, N.J. Threatens to Take Him From His Dad and Requires Blood and Urine Testing.”
“Girl Writes About Pot in Her Diary, School Reads It and Suspends Her All Year.”
“Felony weapons charge for student who brought fishing supplies to school.”
“Hearing Examiner: School Was Right to Suspend Little Boy Who Chewed Pop-Tart Into Shape of Gun.”
“Toy gun made of paper gets kid tossed from school.”
“Drawing of Cartoon Bomb Gets Middle School Student Suspended in South Carolina.”

Only in America could you suspend a child for pointing his fingers into a fake weapon and making a 'pew-pew' laser sound, whilst the parents that picked him up from school could be carrying a rifle or shotgun on them.

It wasn't a tu quoque fallacy; pointing out that school administration in America is psychotic everywhere is not an attack on conservatives or a defense of liberals.

This article talks about others:

“Little Boy Suspended for Pointing Finger Like a Laser Gun.”
“School Suspends Kid for Twirling Pencil & Subjects him to 5-HOUR Evaluation!”
“Kid Twirls a Pencil in Class, N.J. Threatens to Take Him From His Dad and Requires Blood and Urine Testing.”
“Girl Writes About Pot in Her Diary, School Reads It and Suspends Her All Year.”
“Felony weapons charge for student who brought fishing supplies to school.”
“Hearing Examiner: School Was Right to Suspend Little Boy Who Chewed Pop-Tart Into Shape of Gun.”
“Toy gun made of paper gets kid tossed from school.”
“Drawing of Cartoon Bomb Gets Middle School Student Suspended in South Carolina.”

Only in America could you suspend a child for pointing his fingers into a fake weapon and making a 'pew-pew' laser sound, whilst the parents that picked him up from school could be carrying a rifle or shotgun on them.

And I am so gals we only have one school and one school administration in America so we don't have to make sweeping generalizations.

Back
Top Bottom