• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

While the conservatives and libertarians (who are completely different, honest!) are busy making excuses for the inexcusable, let's keep in mind that there are those who argue that there is no such thing as Islamophobia.

I thought we established the people involved in this were almost certainly on the left. Do you lack the ability to incorporate reality into your little rants?

Chief Larry Boyd: "We live in an age where you can't take things like that to school"

Sorry kids... no more science projects, and no more time measuring devices

True, but they thought that some people might think that.
Not one person responded as if there might be a bomb in the school. They did, however, respond as if they wanted to punish a little Muslim boy. Talk about fucking lame.
And if I remember correctly teacher took it not as an actual bomb but as a threat message, something like "See, I can make a bomb".
And again, project is lame, engineering teacher failed in my opinion. I would rather have kid actually make something much simpler but do it himself and learn something in the process.

So wait.

The teacher didn't think it was a bomb, but thought it was a "threat message" meant to look like a bomb? Your excuse doesn't even make sense.

It especially doesn't make sense because the kid ALWAYS and unfailingly maintained that it was a clock and only a clock. How did the teacher think it was "a threat message, something like "See, I can make a bomb"" when nothing like that was said or implied?

Not one person responded as if there might be a bomb in the school. They did, however, respond as if they wanted to punish a little Muslim boy. Talk about fucking lame.
And if I remember correctly teacher took it not as an actual bomb but as a threat message, something like "See, I can make a bomb".
And again, project is lame, engineering teacher failed in my opinion. I would rather have kid actually make something much simpler but do it himself and learn something in the process.

So wait.

The teacher didn't think it was a bomb, but thought it was a "threat message" meant to look like a bomb? Your excuse doesn't even make sense.
That's my reading of the report. And you don't have any better excuse.
And it does make enough sense to call a police. Now, it turns out it was a misunderstanding.

So wait.

It especially doesn't make sense because the kid ALWAYS and unfailingly maintained that it was a clock and only a clock.
So what? Can I bring a replica of a bomb to a plane now?
The whole clock in a case project is utterly retarded and normally people are told that, But you can't tell that to a kid in America, so his teacher simply said "Good, don't show it to anybody" Of course he could have explained why, but he did not.

Here is the clock in question:

I suspect you would have some trouble getting that through airport security.

Same with this:View attachment 4136

Well of course.

How are the authorities supposed to protect our freedom if we don't give them the authority to arbitrarily prevent us from doing stuff?

If people could just buy an airline ticket, and then fly off to wherever they wanted to go with whatever luggage they chose to take, without being searched, x-rayed, metal detected, asked to remove their shoes and belt, questioned and hassled, and then having random non-harmful stuff confiscated, then the terrorists would have won. I mean what kind of freedom would that be??

The police in Irving on why they arrested Ahmed

To tell time maybe?

Surely in our justice system the burden of proof is with the accuser. It's up to the police to provide a broader explanation if they wish to put a case together.

Ahmed had already put a case together; they wanted to know why. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I remember being nervous about taking my DLD projects on the subway in recently post-9/11 NY. No one called the cops on me, but then again, I'm white...

... and the first thing I made? A clock.

Did you ever bring it to the sort of place where they freak out over a pop tart gun?

You mean like the United States of America?

I mean it's all very amusing to watch from a distance, but your national paranoia tends to leak out into the civilised world via FAA regulations and such, so we would appreciate it if you could at least try to turn it down a couple of notches.

They thought it was a fake bomb to use as a hoax. How is it legal to interrogate a kid with no parents or lawyer?
There were no interrogation, police was called, came to school and had a talk.
Is a bomb hoax considered "terrorism" where they're allowed to interrogate people/kids with no lawyer present?

Here's a link that shows a stupid letter the school sent the kid's parents. There's also a video where a police officer explains why they arrested and handcuffed the kid...for his "safety". Give me a fucking break.
Letter is stupid, yes.

There were no interrogation, police was called, came to school and had a talk.

He was taken to a police station, handcuffed, and questioned.

Ahmed's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, who immigrated from Sudan and has twice run for that country's presidency, told CNN Wednesday that he was upset the school did not contact him immediately to tell him about the situation.

The first he heard of it was when he received a call from police, who said his son was being charged with having a hoax bomb, Mohamed said.

He rushed to the police station, where he saw his son "surrounded by five police and he was handcuffed," the father said. Ahmed told his father he'd asked to phone him but the police told him he could not because he was under arrest, Mohamed said.

Source

But let's say it's not an official arrest and interrogation. Is it legal to handcuff a kid, take them to a police station, and question them without a lawyer or at the very least, a parent?

So wait.

And it does make enough sense to call a police. Now, it turns out it was a misunderstanding.

"Turns out it was a misunderstanding"?

I have to admit, your mental gymnastics in order to avoid admitting the obvious is impressive.

So wait.

I have to admit, your mental gymnastics in order to avoid admitting the obvious is impressive.
What is so impressive? is he alive? Yes. Was he hurt? No. Was he sent to Guantanamo? No.
As far as police concerned I don't see many problems.

So wait.

What is so impressive? is he alive? Yes. Was he hurt? No. Was he sent to Guantanamo? No.

It's frightening that your yardstick for 'unacceptable' is 'sent to Guantanamo'.

So wait.

It's frightening that your yardstick for 'unacceptable' is 'sent to Guantanamo'.
And what is your yardstick?
I think people overreact to overreaction.

So wait.

It was a very stupid misunderstanding. But what really gets me is that after the dust settled on this clusterfuck, the school ups the ante with that moronic letter and a 3 day suspension. It is as if the school used those as justification for the clusterfuck "See, it was a really serious because we had to suspend the child and remind everyone how we kept their children safe".

It was a very stupid misunderstanding. But what really gets me is that after the dust settled on this clusterfuck, the school ups the ante with that moronic letter and a 3 day suspension. It is as if the school used those as justification for the clusterfuck "See, it was a really serious because we had to suspend the child and remind everyone how we kept their children safe".

I think you are being kindly generous with the characterization that it was a "misunderstanding". The school officials and police never misunderstood the clock to actually be a bomb, and they never had any reason whatsoever to think it was a "hoax bomb" because the student always maintained that it was exactly what it was... a clock.

I don't see any sort of "misunderstanding". Maybe race/religion had nothing to do with anything for everyone other than the one cop, but this was definitely another clear example of the extreme stupidity of "zero tolerance"

I think you are being kindly generous with the characterization that it was a "misunderstanding". The school officials and police never misunderstood the clock to actually be a bomb, and they never had any reason whatsoever to think it was a "hoax bomb" because the student always maintained that it was exactly what it was... a clock.

This is a patently absurd argument. If you think something might be a bomb you don't automatically believe the bomber when he says it's a clock.

This is a patently absurd argument. If you think something might be a bomb you don't automatically believe the bomber when he says it's a clock.

If you think something might be a bomb, you evacuate the school, you call the bomb squad. No one involved thought this was a bomb and this is evidenced by the fact that no actions were taken to disposed of the bomb and get people to safety.

I recalled there was a case a while back about kid bringing a dummy hand grenade to school. I tried to google it and found about 10 cases of kids bringing a dummy hand grenade to school.

Apparently kids think it's quite a sensible thing to do:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=kid brings grenade to school

In most of these cases you see the school going through some sort of lockdown or evacuation and the kid getting some sort of suspension. In one case they arrest the mother.

Are all these schools overreacting?

So wait.

A misunderstanding is if your name is Schmidt and I hear Smith. That is a misunderstanding. This shit was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom