• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

The shakedown has started:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34904226

A boy who was arrested for taking a homemade clock to class is seeking $15m (£10m) from his city and school.

Ahmed Mohamed, 14, was held by police and suspended from his school in Texas because his teacher mistook the clock for a bomb.

His lawyer said in a letter that the incident, which made global headlines, sparked threats against the teenager and left him deeply traumatised.

Ahmed and his family have since moved to Qatar to complete his education.

The arrest sparked outrage, sympathy and the trending hashtag #StandWithAhmed.

His lawyers are asking for $10m (£7m) from the city of Irving and $5m (£3.3m) from the Irving Independent School District, saying that Ahmed was "publically mistreated" and remains scarred.

The lawyers will file a civil action suit if the school does not comply within 60 days, they said.

Can't blame the Mohamed family for lack of trying:
Huffington Post said:
Ahmed Mohamed And Family Demand $15 Million In Damages And Apology From School District

Attorneys representing Ahmed are demanding $15 million from the Irving Independent School District and the City of Irving, as well as an apology from the city. They say his civil rights were violated and he and his family have suffered physical and mental anguish as a result of his arrest over a homemade clock, which teachers at MacArthur High School believed was an explosive device.

(...)

In letters to the City of Irving and the Irving Independent School District, Ahmed's attorneys say the way the school and police officials treated him was motivated by "rancid, openly discriminatory intent." Ahmed was targeted "because of his race, national origin, and religion," the letters continue.

Ahmed's attorneys accuse the City of Irving of creating a plan to "trash Ahmed" and spin the story in the city's favor. One of these strategies included "[pushing] the false narrative that the school’s hands were tied by Texas’ 'zero tolerance' law on school discipline."

(...)

His attorneys are demanding $10 million from the city, and they also want a written apology from Mayor Beth Van Duyne "acknowledging that she has never been presented with any evidence that Ahmed was a 'pawn' in any 'civilization jihad' or that the events here were planned by Ahmed’s family or friends as part of an 'influence operation,'" according to the letter to the city.

(...)

Ahmed's attorneys also want a written apology from Police Chief Larry Boyd for Ahmed's "wrongful arrest." And are demanding an additional $5 million from the school district.
I guess their strategy is to scare the city into a settlement.

EDITE TO ADD: thebeave beat me to it apparently.

If Ahmed thinks what the school did to him was scarring, wait until he has lived in Qatar for a year.

The shakedown has started:

So bringing matters into US courts is just a shakedown?

He's not bringing it directly into the US courts...yet. As I read it, he's basically saying give me $15 million + a couple of apologies and I'll make this whole thing go away. Otherwise, I'll be suing your ass in court in 60 days.

Seems like a classic Mafia style shakedown to me, except for the threat of concrete swimming shoes.

Since Ahmed is in Qatar now, maybe Jesse Jackson can be the proxy for an apology:

So bringing matters into US courts is just a shakedown?

He's not bringing it directly into the US courts...yet. As I read it, he's basically saying give me $15 million + a couple of apologies and I'll make this whole thing go away. Otherwise, I'll be suing your ass in court in 60 days.

Seems like a classic Mafia style shakedown to me, except for the concrete swimming shoes.

You don't seem to have a clue what a "Mafia style" shakedown is.

Asking a party to settle things out of court, through lawyers, is not a shakedown.

Wasn't it him or the family that posted the pic to social media that started all the buzz? If that lead to the threats and trauma how is that the school and district's fault?

Wasn't it him or the family that posted the pic to social media that started all the buzz? If that lead to the threats and trauma how is that the school and district's fault?

Do you think if matters enter a US court all the boy has to do is make claims?

Show me an example where that has happened in US courts.

His lawyers are asking for some astronomical sum, probably in hopes of some out of court settlement that is considerably less.

That little piece of shit should be sued for traumatizing engineers for calling that thing a clock.

You know nothing of the boy except what has been in the US press.

And yet you think you can rely on the press enough to call this boy a piece of shit.

You have faith at least, if not good sense.

That little piece of shit should be sued for traumatizing engineers for calling that thing a clock.

And yet you think you can rely on the press enough to call this boy a piece of shit.

I know enough to call him and his whole family piece of shit

I know enough to call him and his whole family piece of shit

Finally, someone has taken their head out of the sand around here and said what needed to be said.

I mean, his 3 year old little sister is such a little troublemaker at preschool. She once brought in an empty roll of toilet paper and tried to claim it was a telescope.

Little brat.

Of course, the Texas authorities tried to arrest her for making a pipe bomb but they were just doing their jobs.

I am not a lawyer but is not the idea of legal extortion to ask a little bit of money keeping it quiet and threatening to sue for more?
These assholes asked amount which is clearly unreasonable by any measures and they did it publicly.
They really think school is seriously considering paying? If I was school lawyer I would answer "No, no need to wait for 60 days, sue us now"

And you defend him without personally knowing him either. Every famous person you know anything about is due to the media. What a ridiculous limitation on our means of judging people. Your faith however is simply based on Islamophilia. I'd rather a flawed press to inform my judgments than reflexive defense of anything perceived anti-American.

And you defend him without personally knowing him either. Every famous person you know anything about is due to the media. What a ridiculous limitation on our means of judging people. Your faith however is simply based on Islamophilia. I'd rather a flawed press to inform my judgments than reflexive defense of anything perceived anti-American.

Since as you say, all we know about many people is just what appears in a very flawed press, perhaps the best thing to do is not call people you don't know nor have ever met pieces of shit.

But of course there will always be the really ignorant that defend such behavior.

Back
Top Bottom