• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

This is a patently absurd argument. If you think something might be a bomb you don't automatically believe the bomber when he says it's a clock.

If you think something might be a bomb, you evacuate the school, you call the bomb squad. No one involved thought this was a bomb and this is evidenced by the fact that no actions were taken to disposed of the bomb and get people to safety.

It's fascinating that you know exactly what everyone thought.

In any case I bet they thought it was a bomb at least as much as those other school officials thought the pop tart gun was a gun.

If you think something might be a bomb, you evacuate the school, you call the bomb squad. No one involved thought this was a bomb and this is evidenced by the fact that no actions were taken to disposed of the bomb and get people to safety.

In any case I bet they thought it was a bomb at least as much as those other school officials thought the pop tart gun was a gun.
And if they didn't really think it was a bomb, then what is the 'misunderstanding'? What is the justification for his arrest and suspension? You can't have it both ways.

I know what everybody did. And for that I don't need ESP.
I don't know what your obsession is with this half eaten pop tart, but you need to back away now. People are starting to talk.

And if they didn't really think it was a bomb, then what is the 'misunderstanding'? What is the justification for his arrest and suspension? You can't have it both ways.

My guess is they thought it looked at least enough like a bomb that some action was required. The engineering teacher thought it looked enough like a bomb that he told the kid not to show it to people. The English teacher thought it looked enough like a bomb to call in whomever she called in. The people that were called in thought it looked enough like a bomb they had to check it out.

Also, there's this: it does look like it could be a bomb or at least the triggering device for a bomb.

The engineering teacher thought it looked enough like a bomb that he told the kid not to show it to people.
Did he say 'don't show that to others, it looks like a bomb?'
Someone in the thread accused others of mind reading, but i'm sure you have a quote to support this. Could there be other reasons not to show it to others? Maybe, 'don't show it to Mrs. Crabapple, she's judging your science fair project.'
Also, there's this: it does look like it could be a bomb or at least the triggering device for a bomb.
So does a light switch. Or car keys.
So does a xylophone, if you're a Daffy Duck fan.

Should everything that looks like a bomb initiator be treated as a bomb initiator?

- - - Updated - - -

I just wonder where Huckabee is? He's willing to go to prison for Mrs. Davis' right to be a religious bigot, why isn't he willing to go to jail for Ahmed's right to take science projects to school?

Only a stupid movie bomb.

Here is the most common bomb trigger:
iphone-5s-upgrade-kit-for-iphone-5-gold-p41166-b.jpg

Here are what common types of bombs looks like:
(see if you can spot the ones that are commonly seen)

Wenger-Swiss-Gear-Red-ScanSmart-17.5-inch-Laptop-Backpack-P14108570.jpg

pipe_bomb_oct.jpg

All-American-41-1-2-Quart-Pressure-Cooker-Canner.jpg

o17.jpg

box-body-15-large.jpg

If it looked like a clock why would you tell a kid not to show it to others?

Because you know this is Irving Texas and not all your fellow teachers have a muslim boy's best interest at heart

As I mentioned earlier, Irving MacArthur is in a ~90% minority school district. What sort of comment are you attempting to make about minority schools here?

Because stupid people are stupid.

"stupid people are stupid" is a bit like saying "this plane crashed because gravity". It does not explain why in this particular instance the kid was told not to show his case rigged up with loose wires and a timer to others.

It was a very stupid misunderstanding. But what really gets me is that after the dust settled on this clusterfuck, the school ups the ante with that moronic letter and a 3 day suspension. It is as if the school used those as justification for the clusterfuck "See, it was a really serious because we had to suspend the child and remind everyone how we kept their children safe".

I think you are being kindly generous with the characterization that it was a "misunderstanding". The school officials and police never misunderstood the clock to actually be a bomb, and they never had any reason whatsoever to think it was a "hoax bomb" because the student always maintained that it was exactly what it was... a clock.
Well, we are talking about Texans and Texas. I can believe the authorities misunderstood the clock was a bomb at first glance. Of course, those authorities need to explain why they did not act like they had a potential bomb on their hands. But once those same authorities determined there was no real threat, their subsequent course of action is unexcusable - even for stupid people.
I don't see any sort of "misunderstanding". Maybe race/religion had nothing to do with anything for everyone other than the one cop, but this was definitely another clear example of the extreme stupidity of "zero tolerance"
It is just utter stupidity because there was no violence nor threat of violence, so there was nothing to be zero tolerant of.

How wonderful would our schools be if they had zero tolerance for adult stupidity.

I've had a triggering device for a bomb on my nightstand for well over fifty years now. Haven't exploded yet.

:boom:

Oops!

Hmm, apparently on the same day Obama was chiding people for thinking a case with loose wires and a timer might be a bomb the White House was on lock down due to a sinister looking coffee mug across the street.

The White House briefly went into lock down on Wednesday afternoon after an 'unattended package' was discovered in the park across the street.

The object inside the package turned out to be a coffee mug, the Secret Service said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...se-briefly-lock-scare-unattended-package.html

Hmm, apparently on the same day Obama was chiding people for thinking a case with loose wires and a timer might be a bomb the White House was on lock down due to a sinister looking coffee mug across the street.

The White House briefly went into lock down on Wednesday afternoon after an 'unattended package' was discovered in the park across the street.

The object inside the package turned out to be a coffee mug, the Secret Service said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...se-briefly-lock-scare-unattended-package.html
False comparison. There was no little boy WITH the package showing the White House it was only a coffee mug he made in pottery class.

So what you are saying is that there was suspicion of an object being dangerous and the WH TOOK MEASURES TO INSURE THE SAFETY OF THE PEOPLE IN THE WH.

What a novel concept!

So, it's okay for you to read minds, because you lack the imagination to offer an alternate explanation. Got it.

Well there must have been some reason he told the kid not to show it to other people.

The most plausible explanation to me is that a case rigged up with loose wires and a timer looks like it could be a bomb.

Since it does. And that's precisely the reaction it got when he did show it to someone.

There could certainly be other explanations but as of now you ain't got one.

Back
Top Bottom