• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

He didn't improve the clock design or function. Its doesn't take any skill to attach clock guts to another case. So a hoax is the most plausible reason to jury-rig clock wires and electronic parts into another case and take it to a public school.

Whether he improved the design is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure there are plenty of 14 year olds who would rather have a pencil case clock instead of an old factory issue one. Also, repurposing old items by installing electronics into them is "in" nowadays. When they're done well, people will pay good money for a fun and quirky case mod. For example, consider case of bass. It's more polished work than Ahmed did, but it's the same kind of repurposing and reconfiguration.

It doesn't matter if you think it's pointless. Some people enjoy taking electronic components out of their factory issue housing and installing them into a different housing, and some people like case mods so much they'll pay for them. The case mod Ahmed did isn't strange or unheard of, and there's no reason to believe he meant to use it in a hoax.
I suppose the 15 mill lawsuit ain't deliberate either?

It is a fact that neither the school adm. or the police thought it was a bomb. It is a fact that no one has said Ahmed acted like it was a bomb or that he said it was bomb or made any indication it was a bomb. The presumption it was a hoax bomb is just that - a presumption.
Right, which is why the police retracted the charge once they had looked into it.

And I'm tired of addressing the same old tired canard that "nobody thought it was a bomb", when in fact nobody is claiming that.
If no one thought it was a bomb, then how could anyone think it was a "hoax bomb"?

And I am tired of you dodging the issue there was absolutely no evidence that this thing was a hoax bomb. Ahmed did not claim it was a bomb, nor did he act like it was a bomb. There was no reason for any thinking or rational human being to conjure up and continue with the ridiculous hoax bomb act.

Presumption of innocence applies to the accused, not the accuser. Ahmed is not being charged or accused of any crime. If there is a lawsuit, it's the school and the police that will be on trial.
Ahmed was accused of hoax bomb - that is what prompted this entire situation.

Thanks for the Kubiak comment. But it raises a question, if Ahmed was already brining more advanced gadgets in middle school, why did he do such a bad job with this one, especially if its purpose was to impress his teacher?
That you think this project was a "bad job" is your opinion. He wasn't trying to impress you. That's you projecting your biases.
No, it wasn't my opinion. It was that of Ahmed's middle school history teacher Ralph Kubiak, about the relative complexity of the device compared to his previous work.

As for specific elements of a bomb, that's pedantic sophistry. Only real criteria is if people think it looks like a bomb, and we know that the English teacher did. The device certainly didn't look like a clock anymore.
On the contrary the English teacher clearly did NOT think it looked like a bomb. Unless you think she thinks leaving explosive devices laying around on her desk for most of the day is standard procedure for bombs found in a school. :rolleyes:

Also the device still looks like a clock. It looks a heck more like a clock than these actual clocks do.

It has a digital display with 4 digits and a colon between the middle two. It still looks like a clock.
Those four digits were 00:00. Ever seen a tv show or a moviewhere there is a bomb, and the hero cuts the red wire in the nick of time, as the timer reaches zero. What does the display show? Changes are it's blinking 0:00 or nothing at all. On the other hand, if the display showed, say, 11:35 then it would look more like a clock.

That you think this project was a "bad job" is your opinion. He wasn't trying to impress you. That's you projecting your biases.
No, it wasn't my opinion. It was that of Ahmed's middle school history teacher Ralph Kubiak, about the relative complexity of the device compared to his previous work.
Less complex is not more bad. You are biased and clearly projecting it.
Even if complexity were the same as quality or appeal, why should we expect every nicknack everyone makes and brings to school to increase in complexity, quality or appeal after every iteration? Your demands on humanity are quite bizzare.
As for specific elements of a bomb, that's pedantic sophistry. Only real criteria is if people think it looks like a bomb, and we know that the English teacher did. The device certainly didn't look like a clock anymore.
On the contrary the English teacher clearly did NOT think it looked like a bomb. Unless you think she thinks leaving explosive devices laying around on her desk for most of the day is standard procedure for bombs found in a school. :rolleyes:

Also the device still looks like a clock. It looks a heck more like a clock than these actual clocks do.

It has a digital display with 4 digits and a colon between the middle two. It still looks like a clock.
Those four digits were 00:00. Ever seen a tv show or a moviewhere there is a bomb, and the hero cuts the red wire in the nick of time, as the timer reaches zero. What does the display show? Changes are it's blinking 0:00 or nothing at all. On the other hand, if the display showed, say, 11:35 then it would look more like a clock.
The four digits may be 00:00 until you set it to the correct time then it WOULD say 11:35 twice a day. Just like a clock. Which it looks like.

Right, which is why the police retracted the charge once they had looked into it.

And I'm tired of addressing the same old tired canard that "nobody thought it was a bomb", when in fact nobody is claiming that.
If no one thought it was a bomb, then how could anyone think it was a "hoax bomb"?
If I put dog shit in a bag and set it on fire on someone's porch, does he need to step on it for it to be a classic flaming dog poop prank? Success of a hoax is not necessary for something to be used as part of that hoax.

And I am tired of you dodging the issue there was absolutely no evidence that this thing was a hoax bomb. Ahmed did not claim it was a bomb, nor did he act like it was a bomb. There was no reason for any thinking or rational human being to conjure up and continue with the ridiculous hoax bomb act.
First, I'm not saying that it was a hoax. Some other people here may think so, but I don't. I am only pointing out that a reasonable person seeing tangled wires and a time display in a case might briefly think it was intended to look like a bomb, i.e. to prank people, in absence of a better explanation.

Presumption of innocence applies to the accused, not the accuser. Ahmed is not being charged or accused of any crime. If there is a lawsuit, it's the school and the police that will be on trial.
Ahmed was accused of hoax bomb - that is what prompted this entire situation.
But he is not accused anymore. Stop burning strawmen.

Even if complexity were the same as quality or appeal, why should we expect every nicknack everyone makes and brings to school to increase in complexity, quality or appeal after every iteration? Your demands on humanity are quite bizzare.
Because it is claimed that Ahmed wanted to impress his teacher. If so, why wouldn't he do his best?

Personally, I don't know what "nicknacks" he brought to school before, and to me it is more likely that the history teacher overestimates Ahmed's engineering abilities.

The four digits may be 00:00 until you set it to the correct time then it WOULD say 11:35 twice a day. Just like a clock. Which it looks like.
Except that Ahmed's clock did not have a battery backup and required AC power. So the first impression is 00:00, which could be a timer as much as a bomb clock.

Last edited:
Because it is claimed that Ahmed wanted to impress his teacher. If so, why wouldn't he do his best?
:rolleyes:Again, more complex is not the same as "better."

Personally, I don't know what "nicknacks" he brought to school before, and to me it is more likely that the history teacher overestimates Ahmed's engineering abilities.
Right. Because you are so accustomed to Ahmed, His school, and his history teacher, you must be super qualified to make judgments like that.:rolleyes:

Except that Ahmed's clock did not have a battery backup and required AC power. So the first impression is 00:00, which could be a timer as much as a bomb.
It might be a timer but without any indication of explosive material, calling it a bomb is ridiculous.

Well that was a typo. I meant to say "could be a timer as much as a clock".

If I put dog shit in a bag and set it on fire on someone's porch, does he need to step on it for it to be a classic flaming dog poop prank? Success of a hoax is not necessary for something to be used as part of that hoax.
Perhaps you could explain how any of that is remotely relevant.
First, I'm not saying that it was a hoax. Some other people here may think so, but I don't. I am only pointing out that a reasonable person seeing tangled wires and a time display in a case might briefly think it was intended to look like a bomb, i.e. to prank people, in absence of a better explanation.
A reasonable person would also look to intent. And when a reasonable person saw no indication of a hoax or a prank would stop wetting his/her undies and acting like a dimwit, and stop acting as if it was a hoax.

Please stop being so obtuse. Ahmed was accused of hoax bomb and he was not presumed or treated as if he was innocent. As soon as it was obvious to even the most reasonable and dimwitted person on this planet that this was not a hoax bomb, the entire fiasco should have stopped. But it didn't- the police and the school double downed on their fuckwittery. Which is what prompted the lawsuit, and the mountains of dumbness in their defense.

I imagine that if it was a crude attempt at bomb making, this brat would still have his five minutes of fame, but justify the authorities action.

In response to it looking like a bomb, there are three elements missing: (1) an explosive material/device (2) it was in a pencil box not a suitcase and (3) there was no countdown.

In response to skepticism about Ahmed bringing in electronic devices regularly to school (his old school where he was in the robotics club)...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ks-of-suspensions-and-clashed-with-authority/

In response to why would a kid bring an electronic device in a case, that is not rare. I remember people doing that in college.
Thanks for the Kubiak comment. But it raises a question, if Ahmed was already brining more advanced gadgets in middle school, why did he do such a bad job with this one, especially if its purpose was to impress his teacher?

Before answering, are you aware of individual bias in lacking creativity to answer? That is just because we cannot think of the answer doesn't mean it isn't there. But I'll take a stab at it. He had a teacher whom he wanted to show. There was a specific context regarding class discussion he wanted to demonstrate, something small that could take 20 minutes of work.

Jayjay said:
As for specific elements of a bomb, that's pedantic sophistry.

It isn't pedantic sophistry, it's calling out clearly missing elements.

Jayjay said:
Only real criteria is if people think it looks like a bomb, and we know that the English teacher did.

I am not even sure if they said that or if they said they thought it was a hoax bomb or if they said the former then the latter when they felt stupid about it.

Jayjay said:
The device certainly didn't look like a clock anymore.

No it looked like an electronic device in a case, but not a bomb. It is not rare for students to put electronic devices in cases.

He actually did not say it was a bad job. Instead he said it was less complex. Complexity isn't necessarily always good or better. Again, we don't know the goal or context in his showing this to his engineering/whatever teacher. Ahmed did say that the teacher said "nice" to him about the project.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that was a typo. I meant to say "could be a timer as much as a clock".

Timers visibly count down. They don't display the time of day.

Those four digits were 00:00. Ever seen a tv show or a moviewhere there is a bomb, and the hero cuts the red wire in the nick of time, as the timer reaches zero.

First, do you have a reliable link to the time display the observes saw?* Second, a bomb timer would be counting down, not counting forward slowly. Clocks count forward slowly.

*ETA: I'm asking because this sounds odd for an American clock. I'd think an American clock would start at 12:00 and count forward slowly.

Interesting article.

Headline: Did Muslim Clock Boy Perpetrate A Hoax?

First word in the body of text: "Security" bolded and highlighted. The rest of the first paragraph contains two lies and the allegation that the story was 'invented'. And then it gets wackier. The author suggests Ahmed brought his clock to school to muster sympathy for Muslims accused of terrorism, to put the police on their heels, and undermine the "see something, say something" directive for citizen vigilance (not bad for a 14 year old criminal mastermind; perhaps he's developing psychic powers).

Then comes the bullet point bullshit, starting with "there was no school project or science assignment to justify Mohamed bringing the device to school", as if that matters. Then there's the rest of the list, riddled with lies and errors, but making doubly sure the reader knows the story is about a Muslim kid by highlighting it twice more and also mentioning the Council on American-Islamic Relations and Saudi Arabia.

The conclusion: curse you, Obama! :angryfist:

Last edited:
He's changed his tune from his original statement at school where he claimed to have made it from scratch.

Citation?

Clockboy is all over the map when it comes to discussing what he actually did. In this video, he says he's an inventor, and his most recent invention is a clock that he built from scraps he found around the house. In another video I posted, he says it took him 10 to 20 minutes to build. That he could "invent" a clock in 10 to 20 minutes from scraps that he found around the house is just 100% flat out crap. There is absolutely no doubt that he just dumped some clock guts inside a pencil case. As I said before, the kid is a fraud. It's particularly shameful that he is flat out lying to kids on a Youtube channel called, "Inspiring Inventors" and is being hailed as some sort of role model.

Perhaps you could explain how any of that is remotely relevant.
The analogy shows, that it is not necessary for an actual hoax to be successful to determine that something might be used as part of a hoax. Ahmed brought a suspicious contraption to school that looked more like a suitcase bomb than a clock and could not adequately explain why he did it. It's not an unreasonable to think that maybe he intended it to be some sort of prank.

A reasonable person would also look to intent. And when a reasonable person saw no indication of a hoax or a prank would stop wetting his/her undies and acting like a dimwit, and stop acting as if it was a hoax.
Right, and the cops did exactly that. They looked for intent, and when they determined it wasn't a hoax they let Ahmed go. Of course with advantage of hindsight one can always pretend that a reasonable person should not have taken several hours to do so, but the fact is that it took a while for the media and even people in this thread to determine that it was the innards of an alarm clock instead of an "invention". If you don't already know what it is supposed to be, figuring out the intent might as well take that much, especially if Ahmed was not able to explain it.

Please stop being so obtuse. Ahmed was accused of hoax bomb and he was not presumed or treated as if he was innocent. As soon as it was obvious to even the most reasonable and dimwitted person on this planet that this was not a hoax bomb, the entire fiasco should have stopped. But it didn't- the police and the school double downed on their fuckwittery. Which is what prompted the lawsuit, and the mountains of dumbness in their defense.
How do you know when "it was obvious to even the most dimwitted person on this planet"? You are looking at it from arrogant position of already having read a headline saying that it was a clock and then label anyone who doesn't know a dimwit. Take that piece of trash to people who don't know what it is and have not heard about Ahmed Mohammed, and ask them what the contraption it is supposed to look like. I guarantee most people would say a suitcase bomb.

Lots of people thougth that Ahmed invented the clock, until some people with engineering background like barbos pointed out that it was in fact an alarm clock. Are they all dimwits? Or is it possible that maybe it wasn't that obvious what it was?

Back
Top Bottom