• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

Once the school realized it was not a bomb, nothing else should have happened. The issue is not with the teacher, but with the over-reaction of the school officials and the police. Yes, these dumbasses should think twice about they behave. If a lawsuit asking for $15million does that, then the lawsuit is a good idea, even if it never goes to trial and even if the plaintiffs do not receive a dime.
Again, he wasn't arrested for making a bomb. He was arrested and suspended for a hoax bomb. Realization of whether it was actually an exposive device is not enough, they'd have to have realized that it was never intended to even look like one. If Ahmed couldn't adequately explain why he made it (which is plausible, given the stressful situation and that in his interviews he comes off as a rather poor communicator) it's easy to imagine why the cops or the school still had doubts.
Since there was no indication whatsoever by his actions that he intended it to look like a bomb, your position is untenable. They effed up. There was no reason to rush to judgment and treat him in the illegal manner they did,especially since no one was in danger. Really, how can any rational person defend the actions based on a "hoax bomb" given all the facts? And can you say for sure that his skin color or name did not influence their decision?
By the looks of it, it was a honest misunderstanding.
So what? Stupidity can be honest, but that doesn't excuse it.

Your claim that it's a hoax bomb on the other hand is ridiculous.
Hoax bombs must be designed to fool people into believing they are bombs. Ahmed's pencil case never fooled anyone into believing it was a bomb. [...]
It's is missing the only think that could make ANYTHING look like a bomb.
So is this:

Wrong. The pencils in that picture are made to look like they might be explosive. Nothing on Ahmed's clock looks remotely explosive.
Yet, a casual viewer would immediately recognize that it was meant to look like a bomb despite having no explosive components.

As I pointed out the pencils could be made of explosive material which is what makes people think that it might be a bomb. But really, Are you telling me that your pencil picture is a hoax bomb? Do you think the guy who made that picture was arrested for making a hoax bomb? Passing around a picture of his handiwork in a threatening way? It clearly wasn't designed to look threatening. It was designed to look awesome.

Just like Ahmed's clock.
No, I' saying that the presence or absence of explosive material is not the yard stick to determine whether something is a hoax bomb or not.
Then what is the yardstick if it isn't the appearance of explosive potential? I think you're blowing smoke.
I can't imagine any other yardstick. So please enlighten me.
That the pencils could be made of explosive material and therefore it's a hoax bomb is silly...
How silly is it? Take away the pencils from your picture. Does it still look like a bomb to you? Or does it merely look like a clock with wires?
you migth as well say that the linings in Ahmed's pencil case could have been made from explosive materials,
Ahmed's pencil case is tiny. The lining in his pencil case DIDN"T look like they were made of explosive material. Otherwise the people who have actually seen it would have treated them that way.
or it could be a remote trigger,
Why would anyone in the modern era make any kind of remote trigger that looks like that? Talk about nonsense. Remote triggers these days look like cell phones because they ARE cellphones. Which are still allowed in nearly all school districts in the entire country.
or he could have the explosives in his bag or at home, or ...
Sure, and I could have a sherman tank hiding in my garage. What does that have to do with Ahmed's clock or anything that happened to him that day?

If scrutiny should match the seriousness of the infraction, that's a reasonable response. Teachers and police can't function if they get fined $15 mllion every time they might falsely accuse someone. When I was 11, I was falsely accused for writing "Fuck" on my english class desk. Only me an another guy had sat there, and neither of us confessed, so we both got questioned and punished. Shit happens, but what do you think would have been the correct response? Should the teacher have been fired? Should I have been entitled to $15 million in compensation for mental damage?
Once the school realized it was not a bomb, nothing else should have happened. The issue is not with the teacher, but with the over-reaction of the school officials and the police. Yes, these dumbasses should think twice about they behave. If a lawsuit asking for $15million does that, then the lawsuit is a good idea, even if it never goes to trial and even if the plaintiffs do not receive a dime.
But because of security alerts almost everywhere, one shouldn't be too careful. Clockboy has Middle Eastern appearance, most terrorist attacks are from this group! Why wouldn't someone react?

But because of security alerts almost everywhere, one shouldn't be too careful. Clockboy has Middle Eastern appearance, most terrorist attacks are from this group! Why wouldn't someone react?

At least you're being honest about admitting it.

Again, he wasn't arrested for making a bomb. He was arrested and suspended for a hoax bomb. Realization of whether it was actually an exposive device is not enough, they'd have to have realized that it was never intended to even look like one. If Ahmed couldn't adequately explain why he made it (which is plausible, given the stressful situation and that in his interviews he comes off as a rather poor communicator) it's easy to imagine why the cops or the school still had doubts.
Since there was no indication whatsoever by his actions that he intended it to look like a bomb, your position is untenable. They effed up. There was no reason to rush to judgment and treat him in the illegal manner they did,especially since no one was in danger. Really, how can any rational person defend the actions based on a "hoax bomb" given all the facts? And can you say for sure that his skin color or name did not influence their decision?
The reason is that his "clock" looked like an ameteurish replica of a suitcase bomb you might see on tv. That's a fact. And it's you who's rushing to judgment without knowing exactly how Ahmed presented the clock or how he defended it (based on his interviews, probably not very convincingly), and assuming that the cops must have been racists or islamophobes unless proven otherwise.

Since there was no indication whatsoever by his actions that he intended it to look like a bomb, your position is untenable.
His action was to take a well designed functioning clock and haphazardly reassemble the wiring into another case so it resembles a timer for a homemade bomb. His next action was to take this makeshift timer to a public school which are notorious for zero tolerance and paranoia over violence.

Hoax is the most plausible reason to jury-rig a clock and take to a public school.

The reason is that his "clock" looked like an ameteurish replica of a suitcase bomb you might see on tv. That's a fact.

Except that it was the size of a pencil case and obviously not dangerous.

And it's you who's rushing to judgment without knowing exactly how Ahmed presented the clock

We know how Ahmed presented his clock. That has not been in dispute, ever.

He presented it as a clock when he showed it to his robotics engineering/math teacher.

He presented it as a clock when he showed it to his English teacher.

He presented it as a clock when he was called into the Principal's Office and asked questions about it.

He presented it as a clock when he was interrogated by the police.

or how he defended it (based on his interviews, probably not very convincingly), and assuming that the cops must have been racists or islamophobes unless proven otherwise.

I think most people are assuming the Principal and the police officers are authoritarian assholes who probably came down a lot harder on the brown skinned Muslim boy than they would have on a white, Christian girl.

Your claim that it's a hoax bomb on the other hand is ridiculous.
Hoax bombs must be designed to fool people into believing they are bombs. Ahmed's pencil case never fooled anyone into believing it was a bomb. [...]
It's is missing the only think that could make ANYTHING look like a bomb.
So is this:

Wrong. The pencils in that picture are made to look like they might be explosive. Nothing on Ahmed's clock looks remotely explosive.
Yet, a casual viewer would immediately recognize that it was meant to look like a bomb despite having no explosive components.

As I pointed out the pencils could be made of explosive material which is what makes people think that it might be a bomb. But really, Are you telling me that your pencil picture is a hoax bomb? Do you think the guy who made that picture was arrested for making a hoax bomb? Passing around a picture of his handiwork in a threatening way? It clearly wasn't designed to look threatening. It was designed to look awesome.

Just like Ahmed's clock.
No, I' saying that the presence or absence of explosive material is not the yard stick to determine whether something is a hoax bomb or not.
Then what is the yardstick if it isn't the appearance of explosive potential? I think you're blowing smoke.

The yardstick is what average person might conclude the device is, and the timer is just as much a component of it as are the explosives. As an example, Steve Wozniak tweeted a similar incident from his youth: He pranked one of his teachers with metronome that made a ticking sound. The teacher thought it was a bomb based solely on the sound. If simple ticking sound is enough to fool someone, then surely looking like a bomb timer that remotely resembles a suitcase bomb from a movie might do so as well.

That the pencils could be made of explosive material and therefore it's a hoax bomb is silly...
How silly is it? Take away the pencils from your picture. Does it still look like a bomb to you? Or does it merely look like a clock with wires?
And take away Ahmed's clock from the pencil case, and it no longer would look like a suitcase bomb. Just tangled wires. Or he could have put it in a different kind of case that wouldn't have looked like a bomb. Or he could have presented it differently, he didn't have to start using it during class or setting the alarms. There are plenty of ways Ahmed could have made his "invention" to not look like a bomb, but either deliberately or inadvertendly he did.

you migth as well say that the linings in Ahmed's pencil case could have been made from explosive materials,
Ahmed's pencil case is tiny. The lining in his pencil case DIDN"T look like they were made of explosive material. Otherwise the people who have actually seen it would have treated them that way.
Why would anyone in the modern era make any kind of remote trigger that looks like that? Talk about nonsense. Remote triggers these days look like cell phones because they ARE cellphones. Which are still allowed in nearly all school districts in the entire country.
Sure, and I could have a sherman tank hiding in my garage. What does that have to do with Ahmed's clock or anything that happened to him that day?
The point is that the contraption looked remotely like a bomb you might see on tv: nobody is saying that it was very convincing, but a bad hoax is still a hoax. And since it certainly didn't look like an alarm clock anymore, it could have been pretty much anything. Of course the list I gave was being facetious, to show how silly your suggestions that the pencils in the pencil bomb may have been made from an explosive material.

The reason is that his "clock" looked like an ameteurish replica of a suitcase bomb you might see on tv. That's a fact.

And it's you who's rushing to judgment without knowing exactly how Ahmed presented the clock

Yes, it's not in dispute. He set off the alarm during class. Then after class he showed it to the teacher (not sure if that was solicited or not) and probably gleefully said "it's a clock!" when asked about it. Instead of, say, "I took the insides of an alarm clock and put them in a case to show my engineering teacher". What we know about the incident shows Ahmed causing this by his own behaviour, even if it probably wasn't deliberate.

or how he defended it (based on his interviews, probably not very convincingly), and assuming that the cops must have been racists or islamophobes unless proven otherwise.

I think most people are assuming the Principal and the police officers are authoritarian assholes who probably came down a lot harder on the brown skinned Muslim boy than they would have on a white, Christian girl.
The principal is African american, as was at least one of the cops.

He presented it as a clock when he showed it to his robotics engineering/math teacher.

He presented it as a clock when he showed it to his English teacher.

He presented it as a clock when he was called into the Principal's Office and asked questions about it.

He presented it as a clock when he was interrogated by the police.

Most people? Are you certain about that!

In response to it looking like a bomb, there are three elements missing: (1) an explosive material/device (2) it was in a pencil box not a suitcase and (3) there was no countdown.

In response to skepticism about Ahmed bringing in electronic devices regularly to school (his old school where he was in the robotics club)...

Kubiak [Ahmed's old teacher] also confirmed that Mohamed would regularly bring gadgets to school that were much more complicated than the clock assembled in a pencil box that recently got him into trouble.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ks-of-suspensions-and-clashed-with-authority/

In response to why would a kid bring an electronic device in a case, that is not rare. I remember people doing that in college.

See, but that's illegal in the US by persons working for the government such as schools.
Ironic in the biggest democracy on the planet.

Democracy is nothing without protection of minorities, including atheists by the way. As some famous guy once said, "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting what to have for dinner." ETA: so it's actually the constitution, in particular the bill of rights and the parts that enable non-discrimination that help to keep our representatives from going nuts on us.

Last edited:
No, I'm saying that the presence or absence of explosive material is not the yard stick to determine whether something is a hoax bomb or not.

The yardstick is what average person might conclude the device is,
If Oxford asked you to write the dictionary definition of a hoax bomb, you would write, "A hoax bomb is anything that an average person concludes is a hoax bomb."
The average person might think the world is flat without a decent education. Is that really how YOU classify things? Do you keep "average people" around to help you tell the difference between cat piss and your morning coffee?
and the timer is just as much a component of it as are the explosives.
A timer without explosives is Just a timer. Timers are unnecessary. Only the explosive material is necessary for a bomb or the appearance of explosive material for a hoax bomb. Movie hero spies love blowing things like cars using RPGs and sometimes just high caliber bullets. All that you need for a bomb hoax may be a pile of gasoline canisters on a roof.
As an example, Steve Wozniak tweeted a similar incident from his youth: He pranked one of his teachers with metronome that made a ticking sound. The teacher thought it was a bomb based solely on the sound. If simple ticking sound is enough to fool someone, then surely looking like a bomb timer that remotely resembles a suitcase bomb from a movie might do so as well.
Ticking is a potential indication of a bomb IF it is hidden and the the existence of explosive material cannot be determined. That's not the case here at all. Just as it wouldn't be if Wozniak had set the metronome out on the table by itself. At least a dozen people saw the clock on the day of Ahmed's arrest and NONE of them thought it looked explosive. NONE of them thought it was a bomb.
And take away Ahmed's clock from the pencil case, and it no longer would look like a suitcase bomb.
I'll take that as an agreement that the picture of the pencil bomb would not look like a bomb without the pencils standing in as potential sources of explosive material. But of course Ahmed's clock never looked like a suitcase bomb or any other kind of bomb to begin with. Everyone who saw it agreed. It didn't look like a bomb at all.
Just tangled wires. Or he could have put it in a different kind of case that wouldn't have looked like a bomb. Or he could have presented it differently, he didn't have to start using it during class or setting the alarms. There are plenty of ways Ahmed could have made his "invention" to not look like a bomb, but either deliberately or inadvertendly he did.
If he really wanted to make it look like a bomb he would have put SOMETHING in the pencilcase to simulate explosive material. Don't you agree? Have you ever seen a Halloween costume of a suicide bomber without some sort of simulation of explosive material involved? Everyone who knows what a bomb is knows bombs have explosive material. Everyone. Show a kid a clip of Wile E. Coyote and they will understand that explosions exist but they don't just happen out of thin air. You need a very special SOMETHING to make them happen. This means that if anyone had actually thought it looked like a bomb it would have been unintentional.
you might as well say that the linings in Ahmed's pencil case could have been made from explosive materials,
The point is that the contraption looked remotely like a bomb you might see on tv:

The point of my suggestion (which you agreed with above) was that the picture of the pencil bomb only looked like it could be a bomb because of the pencils wired and arranged to look like they could be an explosive material. That's why it looks like a bomb. The ONLY key ingredient in a bomb is the explosive material. And the ONLY key ingredient in a hoax bomb is the appearance of explosive material.

nobody is saying that it was very convincing, but a bad hoax is still a hoax. And since it certainly didn't look like an alarm clock anymore, it could have been pretty much anything.
Wow, "It could have been pretty much anything?" Could it have been a banana? No, stop being silly. It had a digital display with 4 digits and a colon between the middle two digits. It still looks like a clock even though you can see more of it's functional electronic parts.

A bad hoax may still be a hoax but there was and is no indication that there was ever a hoax. No hoax bomb and no bomb threat.
Of course the list I gave was being facetious, to show how silly your suggestions that the pencils in the pencil bomb may have been made from an explosive material.
See above regarding the point of my suggestion.

The yardstick is what average person might conclude the device is, and the timer is just as much a component of it as are the explosives. As an example, Steve Wozniak tweeted a similar incident from his youth: He pranked one of his teachers with metronome that made a ticking sound. The teacher thought it was a bomb based solely on the sound. If simple ticking sound is enough to fool someone, then surely looking like a bomb timer that remotely resembles a suitcase bomb from a movie might do so as well.

Note the bolded... He pranked one of his teachers. He purposely tried to play a joke on her. Had the same teacher heard the metronome, but he said it was a metronome and had been saying all day that it was a metronome, she could not convincingly claim he was trying to play a hoax on her.

Back
Top Bottom