• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

No, I'm pretty sure there is no evidence that Ahmed is a liar written in any of the holy books that he may believe in. Feel free to quote the lies Ahmed wrote into the quran if you like. But in the meantime, Try again.

Honest citizens need not fear the police unless they're breaking the law.
... Or unless the police are corrupt or having a bad day, but that's not the point. The point is that if you want to prove someone is lying you have to demonstrate a lie.
You have to ask yourself. How would this case pan out in a court of law?
Any sane judge would throw the case out of his courtroom, just like the 15 mill outrage will!

No, I don't have to ask myself how any case would pan out in a court of law. All I'm trying to do is address the REPEATED unsubstantiated claims that Ahmed and his family are liars.

What are you doing? Trying to change the subject?

Well, there was that black woman who was honest with the cop about why she was upset and she ended up in jail and dead.

If it's as simple as you say then the poster of that video could have easily shown and completed the entire project of disassembly and assembly and posted it to you tube in a similar fashion and presented an honest depiction of the skills and materials required to complete the project. But they chose a dishonest depiction and you vouched for it. What does that tell you about yourself?
What its says about me about using that video is I don't need the spoon fed explanation a three year old might require to understand how to unscrew parts. I choose a 20 second video so there would be no excuses about a few minutes video being too much time to watch.

Like I said you're hopeless and completely clueless about electronics if you think unscrewing a few screws changes the difficulty of that clock mod.

If it's as simple as you say then the poster of that video could have easily shown and completed the entire project of disassembly and assembly and posted it to you tube in a similar fashion and presented an honest depiction of the skills and materials required to complete the project. But they chose a dishonest depiction and you vouched for it. What does that tell you about yourself?
What its says about me about using that video is I don't need the spoon fed explanation a three year old might require to understand how to unscrew parts. I choose a 20 second video so there would be no excuses about a few minutes video being too much time to watch.

Like I said you're hopeless and completely clueless about electronics if you think unscrewing a few screws changes the difficulty of that clock mod.

You don't need instructions to unscrew a screw (Or apparently mount a circuit board and led display safely and securely to a new case that was never originally designed to support the parts of a clock) But you DO feel the need to provide instructions on how to pour the contents of a clock out of it's case and then plop them on top of a pencilcase??? REALLY? The same skills required to pour an already opened canister of tennis balls into a gym bag? You thought that THAT represented the part of the project that required skill?

Don't worry, I'm sure you didn't really think the video you posted represented the most challenging part of the project, despite your claims to the contrary. I think your motivations are pretty clear.

You don't need instructions to unscrew a screw (Or apparently mount a circuit board and led display safely and securely to a new case that was never originally designed to support the parts of a clock) But you DO feel the need to provide instructions on how to pour the contents of a clock out of it's case and then plop them on top of a pencilcase??? REALLY? The same skills required to pour an already opened canister of tennis balls into a gym bag? You thought that THAT represented the part of the project that required skill?

Don't worry, I'm sure you didn't really think the video you posted represented the most challenging part of the project, despite your claims to the contrary. I think your motivations are pretty clear.

You honestly believe that this clock in a box project is difficult?

No, I'm pretty sure there is no evidence that Ahmed is a liar written in any of the holy books that he may believe in. Feel free to quote the lies Ahmed wrote into the quran if you like. But in the meantime, Try again.

... Or unless the police are corrupt or having a bad day, but that's not the point. The point is that if you want to prove someone is lying you have to demonstrate a lie.
You have to ask yourself. How would this case pan out in a court of law?
Any sane judge would throw the case out of his courtroom, just like the 15 mill outrage will!

No, I don't have to ask myself how any case would pan out in a court of law. All I'm trying to do is address the REPEATED unsubstantiated claims that Ahmed and his family are liars.

Muslims are allowed to lie if it's in the cause of islam, and this is all about islam. Clockbrat and his islamic politico father are crying victim and islamaphobia.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, there was that black woman who was honest with the cop about why she was upset and she ended up in jail and dead.
Has the cop's side of the story been told?

Sure it was.

The design had to be precisely calculated to be bomb-like enough to get the attention of the English teacher, to prompt the Principal to call the cops, and to convince the cops an arrest was in order, and yet be unlike a bomb to a sufficient degree that no one would call in the bomb squad, thereby making the arrest seem unwarranted and making the $15 million payoff a possibility.

Just think, Ahmed had nothing but the conversation at the dinner table to guide him:

2015 September 11 was a Friday. I am pretty sure it was somehow mentioned during school day.
And then Ahmed mentioned it during dinner on Sunday. Then his father probably gave a lecture how America is to blame for everything and then ahmed's sister recollected the time when she was suspended for bomb threats by asshole teachers in the same stupid school district. Conversation went on and on, then sister suggested that it would be fair to actually have a fake bomb scare in the school, father agreed that was a good idea and could be good PR. So they told little Ahmed to make a fake hoax bomb which would cause an alarm and then he gets suspended. Ahmed took an old clock and put inside pencil box, it took him an a half an hour to make. .....

and yet he was able to design and construct the perfect device in a mere 30 minutes! That's not only difficult, it's damn near impossible.

Obviously, the kid's a genius.

Did I SAY that I believe this "clock in a box" project is difficult???
Nope.

I think you can infer that I believe the project is more difficult than pouring the contents of a tennis ball canister into a gym bag. (because it clearly is) But I never called it "difficult." But you know that already.

I was promised a video depicting the skills necessary to complete Ahmed's clock project.
The video provided does NOT depict the skills necessary. There has been a detectable deception here, but Ahmed, so far, has not been shown to be the perpetrator.

Muslims are allowed to lie if it's in the cause of islam,
And police are allowed to lie to the public in the cause of apprehending a suspect and this case is all about police apprehending a suspect. But all of these facts are still a non-sequeters when trying to convince anyone that Ahmed is a liar. Because do you know what else Muslims are allowed to do? They are allowed to tell the truth any time they want. (GASP):eek:
and this is all about islam.
Is this really all about Islam? Or is it about a kid who was arrested for bringing something that doesn't actually look like a bomb to school? The only connection to Islam is the coincidence that Ahmed and his family happen to be Muslim.

For example, a school district spokesperson, Lesley Weaver, is quoted regarding this incident as saying, "We are never going to take any chances for any of their safety [...] It doesn't matter what child would have brought a suspicious looking item. We still would have taken the same actions." That tells me that if you took the Islam aspect out of this situation it would have played out exactly the same.... Unless you want to argue that the school district spokesperson is wrong and Ahmed was indeed targeted for an unnecessary investigation and police processing by the school BECAUSE he was a Muslim? That would definitely make this story about Islam!

No, it's far more likely this is a story about a teen innocently goofing around and bringing his gadgets to school.
Clockbrat and his islamic politico father are crying victim and islamaphobia.
Are you trying to say here that there is no anti-Islamic sentiment directed at Ahmed or his family? What an unusual source for this revelation to come from. ;)

this is becoming boring

Hmmm, then you should come up with more ridiculous demands like the one where you insisted we stop describing objects that tell time as, "clocks." That should liven up the thread. ;)

Or, you know, you could back up your claims that Ahmed and his family are "liars." (With actual evidence this time, if it isn't too much trouble.)

Did I SAY that I believe this "clock in a box" project is difficult???
Nope.

I think you can infer that I believe the project is more difficult than pouring the contents of a tennis ball canister into a gym bag. (because it clearly is) But I never called it "difficult." But you know that already.

I was promised a video depicting the skills necessary to complete Ahmed's clock project.
The video provided does NOT depict the skills necessary. There has been a detectable deception here, but Ahmed, so far, has not been shown to be the perpetrator.
I don't think the video is supposed to depict the skills necessary. It's supposed to show exactly the opposite: that taking guts of an alarm clock and putting them in a new case isn't that complicated.

this is becoming boring

Hmmm, then you should come up with more ridiculous demands like the one where you insisted we stop describing objects that tell time as, "clocks." That should liven up the thread. ;)

Or, you know, you could back up your claims that Ahmed and his family are "liars." (With actual evidence this time, if it isn't too much trouble.)
Ridiculous here is you.

Jayjay said:
I don't think the video is supposed to depict the skills necessary. It's supposed to show exactly the opposite: that taking guts of an alarm clock and putting them in a new case isn't that complicated.
Yes, I understand the reason the video was posted. But that doesn't change the fact that it was posted under false pretenses.

The following is how Nexus described the video:
For Ahmed admirers watch this 20 second video and marvel at skill required for his invention.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHk_6Vh4Qeo[/YOUTUBE]
Either Nexus really thinks this video depicts the skill required to make this device or he is being deceptive. I don't think he is stupid enough to believe that this video really represents "[the] skill required for his invention." And in a thread where accusations of lying are flying around I thought it would be constructive (and amusing) to demonstrate how to identify false statements.

Maybe we can excuse it as a sarcastic exaggeration, but it's still not the truth.

Yes, I understand the reason the video was posted. But that doesn't change the fact that it was posted under false pretenses.

For Ahmed admirers watch this 20 second video and marvel at skill required for his invention.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHk_6Vh4Qeo[/YOUTUBE]
Either Nexus really thinks this video depicts the skill required to make this device or he is being deceptive. I don't think he is stupid enough to believe that this video really represents "[the] skill required for his invention." And in a thread where accusations of lying are flying around I thought it would be constructive (and amusing) to demonstrate how to identify false statements.

Maybe we can excuse it as a sarcastic exaggeration, but it's still not the truth.

I just watched that video. I wonder if anyone else noticed that the person who posted it either forgot or didn't realize that if he closes the pencil box he's going to shear the power cord, rendering the clock parts inoperative.

I think we can accept this as evidence that Ahmed is smarter than at least one of his critics.

I noticed two other things. There are a bunch of screws on the table to start not included in the countdown. The display is not mounted onto anything.

I just watched that video. I wonder if anyone else noticed that the person who posted it either forgot or didn't realize that if he closes the pencil box he's going to shear the power cord, rendering the clock parts inoperative.

I think we can accept this as evidence that Ahmed is smarter than at least one of his critics.

How is that any different than Ahmed's clock?

dumbass clock.jpg

In reality, the power cord likely won't get sheared by a little pencil box. It will get pinched, and the case may not shut all the way, but it will still be operational. Doesn't mean its not a crappy design though. Standard design techniques here are that the power cord should be routed through a hole (with a rubber grommet) in the side of the case, and the power cord secured to the case with a strain relief clamp inside. Ahmed didn't do that, and that's very basic stuff. That is about item number 74 on the top 100 things that are crappy about this clock in a pencil case. So, no he is definitely not smarter than his critics.

And yes, the guy in the video should have added the time taken to remove the screws. So, add about 1 minute to the length of the video. BFD.

Probably harder than cock-in-the-box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpzoSR1f9w

View attachment 4985

In reality, the power cord likely won't get sheared by a little pencil box. It will get pinched, and the case may not shut all the way, but it will still be operational. Doesn't mean its not a crappy design though. Standard design techniques here are that the power cord should be routed through a hole (with a rubber grommet) in the side of the case, and the power cord secured to the case with a strain relief clamp inside. Ahmed didn't do that, and that's very basic stuff. That is about item number 74 on the top 100 things that are crappy about this clock in a pencil case. So, no he is definitely not smarter than his critics.

And yes, the guy in the video should have added the time taken to remove the screws. So, add about 1 minute to the length of the video. BFD.

I always thought that he bent the side of the case as you can see in the picture, to make room for the cord. Or maybe he kept the cord inside the case when not in use, it's not like the clock is intended to be used when closed.

View attachment 4985

I always thought that he bent the side of the case as you can see in the picture, to make room for the cord. Or maybe he kept the cord inside the case when not in use, it's not like the clock is intended to be used when closed.

Are you referring to the dent in the left side of the case? Hadn't noticed that before, but its possible he put that there for the power cord. Or it could be just a random dent. Who knows?

I would think you would want the ability to close the pencil box case when the clock is plugged in. Like if you're secretly futzing around with it in, say, English class and the alarm goes off, you might want to quickly close it so it looks "much less suspicious". :)

Back
Top Bottom