• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

It doesn’t appear that the military will support a coup. But will they stand by and let it happen? Remaining “apolitical” if you will. The next scenario I imagine is that Barr “discovers” massive fraud in the election results. Trump and he then use border guards and other DoJ para-Military troops to repeal the results and declare that there will be a do over in the election. All this under the guise of protecting the Constitution. DoJ assets have shown a tendency to be a Trump Praetorian Guard. One wonders if he could use them to put down any dissension in the cities.

I just don’t think he really could. Would Barr go that far? He at least initially found no voter fraud.

And of course Biden would file objections in court to stop such and then Trump would argue that he has the universal power to do so to protect the Constitution. I don’t see that argument going in his favor.

But does he care?

It seems to me that he needs the support of the other branches of government to pull this shit off. He doesn’t have that. Enough Republican Senators would say no as well. Romney for starters. Toomey and Collins as well. Maybe Cornyn And Thune even.

Rambling post I know. Just thinking out the scenarios.

The Republican Party Is Now a Seditious Organization

These authoritarian yahoos believe that the Supreme Court will ride to their rescue and disenfranchise millions of people whom they don't believe should be allowed to vote anyway

Nothing secedes like secession.

Late Wednesday afternoon, in as clear a demonstration as there ever has been of the authoritarian rot at the heart of the Republican Party, 17 other states, all governed primarily by Republicans, filed an amicus brief in support of the ludicrous lawsuit being brought by Ken Paxton, the indicted Republican attorney general of Texas, that seeks to overturn the results of the presidential election by disenfranchising millions of voters in Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia, and Pennsylvania.

The 17 accomplices to this braindead seditious conspiracy are Missouri, Arkansas, South Dakota, Florida (Shocker!), Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina (now two-for-two in attempts to subvert the republic over a presidential election), Utah, West Virginia, Tennessee, and Alabama. None of these benighted places has any more standing to subvert the elections in, say, Michigan, than Texas or the Elks Club of Bugtussle have. But they're willing to sign onto the closest thing we've had to secession in 150 years because the Republican Party has created a couple of generations of leaders who simply can't think of any other way to do politics than to scorch the earth, win or lose. Zero-sum democracy is untenable. Listen to this unreconstructed—in every sense of the word—swill out of Tennessee's Secretary of State via The Tennessean:

I think the military would tell him to go fuck himself if he did something off the wall like order a strike on Iran. The problem is they do seem trying to goad Iran into doing something drastic themselves. They just flew B-52’s down the Gulf allegedly to “deter” Iran. A strike could happen and seriously impair Biden’s presidency.

I read the Pennsylvania brief to the Supreme Court. Wow! They really hammer the shit out of Paxton. This case is insane. It’s like Paxton never bothered to read shit about the Court’s jurisdiction. This is just stupid as shit. The court has no choice but to dismiss it, and probably sanction Paxton for a frivolous filing. I certainly hope so. Ginsburg would’ve.

... Expect violence by Trump.
Those who know him well describe Trump as cowardly. What he will do is incite his stupidest supporters to violence, letting the U.S.A. deteriorate further into chaotic frenzy just to stoke his ego and so he can afford chocolate-flavored lingerie for Dear First Daughter.

As TomC points out, just ten lunatic Trumpies could mount a massive terrorist attack. And there are a lot more than ten such lunatics. (And about 15 Million assault rifles in the hands of "ordinary" Americans.)

With Trump and Putin still allied to destroy America, and GOP Scum like Moscow Mitch playing along, the outlook is grim. For Trump to continue to stoke anger, hatred and violence will be one of the greatest crimes in all of history.

I'm finding myself refreshing CNN every 10 minutes or so anticipating whether they will toss the Texas lawsuit today or not.

... Expect violence by Trump.
Those who know him well describe Trump as cowardly. What he will do is incite his stupidest supporters to violence, letting the U.S.A. deteriorate further into chaotic frenzy just to stoke his ego and so he can afford chocolate-flavored lingerie for Dear First Daughter.

As TomC points out, just ten lunatic Trumpies could mount a massive terrorist attack. And there are a lot more than ten such lunatics. (And about 15 Million assault rifles in the hands of "ordinary" Americans.)

With Trump and Putin still allied to destroy America, and GOP Scum like Moscow Mitch playing along, the outlook is grim. For Trump to continue to stoke anger, hatred and violence will be one of the greatest crimes in all of history.

Malcolm Nance, while retired, still monitors right-wing web sites and says these people are ready to go to war.

I read the Pennsylvania brief to the Supreme Court. Wow! They really hammer the shit out of Paxton.

Like injecting some sanity directly into my veins. PA brief

Since Election Day, State and Federal courts throughout the country have been flooded with frivolous lawsuits aimed at disenfranchising large swaths of voters and undermining the legitimacy of the election. The State of Texas has now added its voice to the cacophony of bogus claims. Texas seeks to invalidate elections in four states for yielding results with which it disagrees. Its request for this Court to exercise its original jurisdiction and then anoint Texas’s preferred candidate for President is legally indefensible and is an affront to principles of constitutional democracy.

What Texas is doing in this proceeding is to ask this Court to reconsider a mass of baseless claims about problems with the election that have already been considered, and rejected, by this Court and other courts. It attempts to exploit this Court’s sparingly used original jurisdiction to relitigate those matters. But Texas obviously lacks standing to bring such claims, which, in any event, are barred by laches, and are moot, meritless, and dangerous. Texas has not suffered harm simply because it dislikes the result of the election, and nothing in the text, history, or structure of the Constitution supports Texas’s view that it can dictate the manner in which four other states run their elections. Nor is that view grounded in any precedent from this Court. Texas does not seek to have the Court interpret the Constitution, so much as disregard it

The cascading series of compounding defects in Texas’s filings is only underscored by the surreal alternate reality that those filings attempt to construct. That alternate reality includes an absurd statistical analysis positing that the probability of President Elect Biden winning the election was “one in a quadrillion.” Bill of Complaint at 6. Texas’s effort to get this Court to pick the next President has no basis in law or fact. The Court should not abide this seditious abuse of the judicial process, and should send a clear and unmistakable signal that such abuse must never be replicated,

:boom:

I read the Pennsylvania brief to the Supreme Court. Wow! They really hammer the shit out of Paxton.

Since Election Day, State and Federal courts throughout the country have been flooded with frivolous lawsuits aimed at disenfranchising large swaths of voters and undermining the legitimacy of the election. The State of Texas has now added its voice to the cacophony of bogus claims. Texas seeks to invalidate elections in four states for yielding results with which it disagrees. Its request for this Court to exercise its original jurisdiction and then anoint Texas’s preferred candidate for President is legally indefensible and is an affront to principles of constitutional democracy.

What Texas is doing in this proceeding is to ask this Court to reconsider a mass of baseless claims about problems with the election that have already been considered, and rejected, by this Court and other courts. It attempts to exploit this Court’s sparingly used original jurisdiction to relitigate those matters. But Texas obviously lacks standing to bring such claims, which, in any event, are barred by laches, and are moot, meritless, and dangerous. Texas has not suffered harm simply because it dislikes the result of the election, and nothing in the text, history, or structure of the Constitution supports Texas’s view that it can dictate the manner in which four other states run their elections. Nor is that view grounded in any precedent from this Court. Texas does not seek to have the Court interpret the Constitution, so much as disregard it

The cascading series of compounding defects in Texas’s filings is only underscored by the surreal alternate reality that those filings attempt to construct. That alternate reality includes an absurd statistical analysis positing that the probability of President Elect Biden winning the election was “one in a quadrillion.” Bill of Complaint at 6. Texas’s effort to get this Court to pick the next President has no basis in law or fact. The Court should not abide this seditious abuse of the judicial process, and should send a clear and unmistakable signal that such abuse must never be replicated,

I liked it when they called it Faustian. Kudos to whoever can use that term in a Supreme Court brief. If there really is a devil, Paxton and Trump sold their souls to him a long time ago.

The coup is picking up steam.

Imaginary States ‘New Nevada,’ ‘New California’ File Brief Supporting Texas Lawsuit To Overturn Election

A group of separatist movements attempting to create a “New California State” and “New Nevada State” filed an amicus brief on Friday in support of a Supreme Court lawsuit brought by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton aimed at overturning the results of the presidential election.
Also, 21 more spineless House bootlickers have signed on.

New California, Orange County- Splitting California -- New CA will have all of the state except for the more dense parts of the San Francisco Bay Area, the Los Angeles area, and the Sacramento area.

I haven't found a similar page for New NV, but if it is like the CA one, it would have all of the state but Las Vegas and maybe also Reno.

The "New CA" and "New NV" brief itself
No references in it to New CA's home page.

Also, 21 more spineless House bootlickers have signed on.
Giving nearly 2/3 of all House Republicans.

Nothing really. Just denied. Alito and Thomas would’ve allowed the filing but rejected all relief.

Ya it was on the first order what I had expected and posted in one of these threads. Texas has to standing.

I wish the court had said more about the claims being without any evidence, and suggest that lawyers who put forth crazy arguments that have already been debunked should face consequences. But I guess this will suffice.

This is all they said.

The State of Texas’s motion for leave to file a bill of complaint is denied for lack of standing under Article III of the Constitution. Texas has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections. All other pending motions are dismissed as moot. Statement of Justice Alito, with whom Justice Thomas joins: In my view, we do not have discretion to deny the filing of a bill of complaint in a case that falls within our original jurisdiction. See Arizona v. California, 589 U. S. ___ (Feb. 24, 2020) (Thomas, J., dissenting). I would therefore grant the motion to file the bill of complaint but would not grant other relief, and I express no view on any other issue.

There was a time not too long ago when Republicans were the party of at least tort reform and states' rights. They can't be said to stand for nothing now but staying in power at any cost.

This is all they said.

The State of Texas’s motion for leave to file a bill of complaint is denied for lack of standing under Article III of the Constitution. Texas has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections. All other pending motions are dismissed as moot. Statement of Justice Alito, with whom Justice Thomas joins: In my view, we do not have discretion to deny the filing of a bill of complaint in a case that falls within our original jurisdiction. See Arizona v. California, 589 U. S. ___ (Feb. 24, 2020) (Thomas, J., dissenting). I would therefore grant the motion to file the bill of complaint but would not grant other relief, and I express no view on any other issue.

There was a time not too long ago when Republicans were the party of at least tort reform and states' rights. They can't be said to stand for nothing now but staying in power at any cost.

That's exactly it. Trumpian authoritarianism is zealotry, through and through. You can't name a single conservative idea or principle that hasn't been thrown out the window by the GOP over the last four years. Not one. The real principles of the right wing in the US are authority worship, us. vs. them, social dominance at all costs, there is no punishment too harsh for all the outgroups they've been trained to hate and fear, no lie to ridiculous to believe...

And every bit of that is anti-American and anti-democracy.

Conservatism holds all the seeds for authoritarianism. You have to have a wider secular society with strong democratic institutions, including holding liars and purveyors of misinformation accountable, to keep conservatism in check, to keep it from blossoming into the tyrannical stupidity we're seeing.

I liked it when they called it Faustian. Kudos to whoever can use that term in a Supreme Court brief. If there really is a devil, Paxton and Trump sold their souls to him a long time ago.

the term would "speak" to educated Christian conservatives, such as several of your Supreme Court justices

the term would "speak" to educated Christian conservatives, such as several of your Supreme Court justices

Yeah 90% of Trump supporters have no idea what that means.

Back
Top Bottom