• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jonathan Haidt: why social justice and truth are incompatible values for academia

I don't have time to watch an hour video, can you give us a quick summary? I watched the first 5 minutes and the guy still hadn't gotten to his thesis.

From just the title, I think the definition of "social justice" you use determines it's compatibility with the truth. "Social justice" is largely a term co-opted by the enemies of the Left in the US to mean "Straw-man left-wing social issues." So Yeah, that's going to be incompatible with the truth.

I don't have time to watch an hour video, can you give us a quick summary? I watched the first 2 minutes and the guy still hadn't gotten to his thesis.

From just the title, I think the definition of "social justice" you use determines it's compatibility with the truth. "Social justice" is largely a term co-opted by the enemies of the Left in the US to mean "Straw-man left-wing social issues." So Yeah, that's going to be incompatible with the truth.

He defines social justice as the centralized value of victims and the value for equalization. It is not the definition that conflicts with the value for truth, but ANY value except the truth that will be at the cost of the truth in academia, because humans are motivated thinkers. The video is good for listening while you do something else. It is worth the time, one way or the other.

I like Haidt. His book "Righteous Mind" is one of the best I have read in a while. It helped me as a liberal to break free of tribal mindset and to stop seeing conservatives as just plain dumb or evil.

Listened to it. He makes excellent points that I would love to see some here respond to. Looking forward to reading the later pages of this thread. Victim culture really has become a thing.

I wish he didn't reinforce the slogan of "correlation is not causation." Science is nothing but correlations, and the slogan seems to lead to more error than otherwise, guaranteed to be repeated any time anyone is externally motivated to dismiss the relevance of correlations.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I see your point, but it is true that correlation is not causation. Correlation can be a great indicator of causation though :)

Right. Many times I have had people tell me "correlation is not causation" when causation isn't even relevant. It is just a knee-jerk response to any uncomfortable correlation.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Seems to me that under the normal understandings of social justice and truth, that real social justice requires truth.

Seems to me that under the normal understandings of social justice and truth, that real social justice requires truth.
I agree, and the rule is generalizable: any principle can be effectively advanced only when the principle is secondary to the principle of truth.

Wow really? Thus gets moved to "pseudoscience"? Did the mod even watch the vid? Perfect demonstration of the point haidt makes.

Wow really? Thus gets moved to "pseudoscience"? Did the mod even watch the vid? Perfect demonstration of the point haidt makes.
It was not moved. I was told by an admin to confine all of my threads related to race to the "Pseudoscience" forum.

It was not moved. I was told by an admin to confine all of my threads related to race to the "Pseudoscience" forum.

ALL of your posts? No matter what they area bout? That is down right abusive and the personification of adhominem.

ALL of your posts? No matter what they area bout? That is down right abusive and the personification of adhominem.
So long as it is related to race, even as a tangent, I was told to put it in this forum. I expect it will last until I agree with the conclusions of the admins on the scientific topics.

I like Haidt. His book "Righteous Mind" is one of the best I have read in a while. It helped me as a liberal to break free of tribal mindset and to stop seeing conservatives as just plain dumb or evil.

Instead, now you see the "regressive left" that way. Progress.

If we want equal access to healthcare, without regard to economic or social status, is that demanding equal treatment, or demanding equal outcome?

Back
Top Bottom