• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Justice Kennedy announces retirement

This is another consequence of liberals failing/refusing to fall in line. More consequences of "bust".

It is a prime example of "lesser of two evils" pitches for office failing hard. People need something to vote for. Its the politicians job to give them that, and if they fail to do so, that's more on them than on the voters.

I do not think Hillary's problem was that she was not left-wing enough. Clinton, her husband, was the epitome of the moderate "Third Way" and he not only got elected twice but also enjoyed high popularity since he left office.
Hillary's problem was lack of charisma and mismanagement of the campaign. Like running up the score in California and ignoring the Midwest. Or too much emphasis on identity politics.

US is a center-right country, and when Democrats nominated somebody far left, it did not turn well.
1972:
350px-ElectoralCollege1972.svg.png

1984:
349px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.png

1988:
349px-ElectoralCollege1988.svg.png

Ok, Dukakis did not fail quite as badly as McGovern (probably the most left-wing of these three), but he was the third consecutive landslide loss for the Democratic candidate including Carter's 489:49 loss to Reagan. Something had to give. A similar thing happened in the UK when Labour turned to Blair to end their Long Dark Teatime of Electoral Losses.

Not to mention that Mondale barely won MN; it was a margin of 0.2%. That & DC prevented a shutout. You're not going to get far left policies in the U.S. it's simply not feasible in our political climate.

Those on the far left need to suck it up and vote Democratic, you might at least get some of the policies you want. Doing otherwise simply means you'll get policies & judges that are directly hostile to what you want. Sometimes there isn't a "good" choice from your point of view. If the Green Party really cares about the things it says it cares about, the best thing they can do is disband and join the Democrats, then run for local, state, & Congressional offices in places where they can actually sell their views. They'll actually be able to get a voice in legislatures. It's virtue signaling is counterproductive to any liberal cause they claim to believe in.

Trump, on the other hand, has an actual personality disorder, which made him electable by conservatives.
Trump has tapped into something creepy, with some conservatives. Sort of a "Fuck you, I don't care if what I say is rude or mean. 'Political Correctness' is BS!". At least that's the appeal too his base. Other republicans support him because he can potentially do things they find important... like nominate conservative supreme court justices.

I do not think Hillary's problem was that she was not left-wing enough. Clinton, her husband, was the epitome of the moderate "Third Way" and he not only got elected twice but also enjoyed high popularity since he left office.
Hillary's problem was lack of charisma and mismanagement of the campaign. Like running up the score in California and ignoring the Midwest. Or too much emphasis on identity politics.....
Yeah. Hillary just doesn't have the ideal personality for a successful presidential candidate. Reagan, Bill Clinton and Obama were very personable, and people were more likely to forgive them for the mistakes they made.
Hillary, unfortunately, comes across like Bob Dole.

That's one of the problems. People are so shallow that they vote on how personable the candidate is. Face it. You're never going to sit down and have a beer with a presidential candidate.

Then again, cult 45 obviously has the ideal personality.

The threat of Trump winning and appointing supreme court justices and federal judges didn't help Hillary Clinton win. Those Democratic Hillary haters decided they would rather stiff Hillary than block Trump. I am not sure these sort of people will have learned their lesson and give us a Democratic Senate and House with a mandate to block these judicial appointments. Rather Trump and the GOP will accelerate their efforts to stuff the courts while they can.

It's the same type that voted for Nader in 2000 and never regretted it. I just had a heated argument with purist Stein voter on a different board, and well, they take no responsibility for it; never saw beyond, "I don't like Hillary."

When the choice is between rat poison and stale bread, those people chugged rat poison.

The threat of Trump winning and appointing supreme court justices and federal judges didn't help Hillary Clinton win. Those Democratic Hillary haters decided they would rather stiff Hillary than block Trump. I am not sure these sort of people will have learned their lesson and give us a Democratic Senate and House with a mandate to block these judicial appointments. Rather Trump and the GOP will accelerate their efforts to stuff the courts while they can.

It's the same type that voted for Nader in 2000 and never regretted it. I just had a heated argument with purist Stein voter on a different board, and well, they take no responsibility for it; never saw beyond, "I don't like Hillary."

When the choice is between rat poison and stale bread, those people chugged rat poison.
It was stale bread or a glossy picture of a delicious meal. Their resulting choice gave the nation rat poison.

Funny how right-winger accuse liberals of having emotional fantasies.

At least in that one he's not all muscled up, although I'd like to put an AR in his hands, hide behind a 2' thick bullet proof glass wall and watch him fumblefuck around with it before shooting his foot off. Anyway, some of the shit that Trump lovers come up with in terms of their Trump-art is creepy as fuck. I looked for one image I've seen a million times that really makes my neo-Nazi radar star blaring like one of those alarms on a navy ship, but I couldn't find it. It has a well muscled Trump in a tight white t-shirt, with a well chiseled face, brandishing an M-16/AR/M4 and it reminds me of why own guns.

ETA: the things we've likely lost are numerous. Imagine if RBG goes down---and she could at any moment. The woman is staying out of a sheer sense of duty, so hopefully that sustains her. But if Trump lasts 4 years, we're likely looking at a 6-3, possibly even 7-2 split. Yeah, Trump supporters infuriate me, but the third party voters who should've known better disgust me.

We are Totaly screwed.

The Supremes will quash any subpoena or indictment that Special Counsel Mueller would bring forward agaiinst Cheetolini.

Later,
ElectEngr

Beyond that, the Christo-fascists will control for decades with the current Electoral College system and gerrymandered districts. I fear for my kids who are in their teens. I wonder if the only thing that could save the situation is another Great Depression (a.k.a an FDR situation) though I hope without a WW at the end.

This country is going to go fascist with flag waving cheers.

link

article said:
The 81-year-old Kennedy said in a statement he is stepping down after more than 30 years on the court. A Republican appointee, he has held the key vote on such high-profile issues as abortion, affirmative action, gay rights, guns, campaign finance and voting rights.
Well, that ends that. Time to pack up the bags and move to Canada. Constitutional Law is about to have a large bowel movement thanks to the stolen SCOTUS seat.

I spent some time on Canada's immigration website today. After a couple years of practice, if Trump is still in office, and if SCOTUS is handing down Gillead type decisions, I'm going to apply for a job up in Canada and see if I can get out of the U.S. Hell, I'll look at Australia too... maybe not. That's too far from my kids. But I can probably talk my youngest into going with me. Maybe.

We are Totaly screwed.

The Supremes will quash any subpoena or indictment that Special Counsel Mueller would bring forward agaiinst Cheetolini.

Later,
ElectEngr
A Mueller indictment would require sending a report to Congress, which would publicize the report.

Unless Ryan wants to go "Closed Door Session" on the report.

Ryan won't be out of the Speakership until Jan of next year and the Supremes next session starts "The first Monday in October" (before the mid terms).

Later,
ElectEngr

Trump, on the other hand, has an actual personality disorder, which made him electable by conservatives.
Trump has tapped into something creepy, with some conservatives. Sort of a "Fuck you, I don't care if what I say is rude or mean. 'Political Correctness' is BS!". At least that's the appeal too his base. Other republicans support him because he can potentially do things they find important... like nominate conservative supreme court justices.

The same base who complains about incivility because they're douchebags. I guess the appeal is power because when you are in power hypocrisy doesn't matter.

It isn't a mantra. Remember 2010? Massive landslide after ACA is passed (death panels and shit)? That was controlling the message.

ACA wasn't a truly liberal idea or policy. It was a total half measure. Obama didn't even TRY for single payer. A lot of people on the left lost steam after seeing Obama preach Hope and Change and actually give so little once he was in power.

I still say you don't actually know this, because the Democrats haven't actually tried.
Gore lost to a draft dodger. Clinton lost to misogynist. Oddly enough, both won the popular vote.

Slightly fewer people voted for Clinton than Obama (~70,000). Over two million more people voted for Trump than Romney.

What does any of that have to do with actually trying actual liberal policies and platform? Obama was all talk. Gore and Clinton were rightward corporatists and liberal only slightly of who they ran against.

Like I wrote above, you don't actually know that actual liberal platform will fail, because you haven't actually tried it for a very very long time (FDR?)

Of course he waited for Trump to announce his retirement. That's the best way to ensure his replacement is as insane and as partisan as possible.

He's about that stupid--stand on the armor instead of inside it in a battle.

How dare you?

Did you get elected president? No. Because you weren't smart enough to collude with the Russians. The fact that he is president proves that he's smarter than you and proves that he is the smartest president we've ever had! [/conservolibertarian]

1503347130385-AP_17233672251714.jpeg

link

article said:
The 81-year-old Kennedy said in a statement he is stepping down after more than 30 years on the court. A Republican appointee, he has held the key vote on such high-profile issues as abortion, affirmative action, gay rights, guns, campaign finance and voting rights.
Well, that ends that. Time to pack up the bags and move to Canada. Constitutional Law is about to have a large bowel movement thanks to the stolen SCOTUS seat.

I spent some time on Canada's immigration website today. After a couple years of practice, if Trump is still in office, and if SCOTUS is handing down Gillead type decisions, I'm going to apply for a job up in Canada and see if I can get out of the U.S. Hell, I'll look at Australia too... maybe not. That's too far from my kids. But I can probably talk my youngest into going with me. Maybe.

Speaking as someone who emigrated to Australia in the 1990s, before they changed it from 'difficult' to 'very hard indeed', I would suggest that your chances of getting into Australia as a migrant, rather than a mere visitor, are very small indeed, unless you have an employer here who will sponsor you; Or family who are already citizens who will sponsor you; Or you marry an Australian citizen (who can then sponsor you).

You can also get a visa as an investor, if you have at least AU$1.5 million (preferably $5 million or $15 million) to invest in an Australian business venture; or can secure over $1 million in funding from an Australian venture capital firm.

Probably your best chance is if you have a suitable qualification and skills to apply for a class 189 Skilled Independent Migrant Visa; The list of eligible skills can be found here. In addition to having a skill from that list, you must be under 45 years of age, and score at least 60 points from the list here.

If you have ever been convicted of an offense in a court of law, you may well not be considered at all; If you have been sentenced to a total of more than 12 months in prison (including any suspended sentences or parole periods) during your entire life, then forget it. You may well struggle to even get a visitor visa if you have a criminal record - even if your crimes were committed many decades ago.

McConnell's policy is to not confirm justices in an election year, so I wouldn't worry about this.

Speaking as someone who emigrated to Australia in the 1990s, before they changed it from 'difficult' to 'very hard indeed', I would suggest that your chances of getting into Australia as a migrant, rather than a mere visitor, are very small indeed, unless you have an employer here who will sponsor you
If the government changes the law about turning away migrant boats, he can just come to Australia on a dingy. Or do you have to be a Muslim for that particular immigration pathway?
If you have ever been convicted of an offense in a court of law, you may well not be considered at all
Funny how things change. Criminal record used to be a prerequisite. :)

ACA wasn't a truly liberal idea or policy. It was a total half measure. Obama didn't even TRY for single payer. A lot of people on the left lost steam after seeing Obama preach Hope and Change and actually give so little once he was in power.
You are just hopeless. Whatever brain trauma you suffered has caused long-term memory loss and going into this again will just be a waste of time. You didn't address what I actually said and just continued on your own mantra.

Gore lost to a draft dodger. Clinton lost to misogynist. Oddly enough, both won the popular vote.

Slightly fewer people voted for Clinton than Obama (~70,000). Over two million more people voted for Trump than Romney.
What does any of that have to do with actually trying actual liberal policies and platform?
As you noted, ACA wasn't liberal, yet the Conservatives walked away in 2010 with one of the largest lopsided mid-term results in our nation's history... because the ACA was 'very liberal' and death panels.

Back
Top Bottom