• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kanye West for President - mechanics of it

Tigers!

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Bible believing revelational redemptionist (Baptist)
Not being of the USA questioning how does one get on the presidential ballot?

Which form do you fill out to apply?
How much does the application cost?
Do you need to be on every state's ballot paper?
Is there a nice little primer somewhere that goes through the mechanics of it all?

Is there an intelligence or at least a 'common-sense' test'?
Your last few elections have convinced me that should have have such a test for prospective applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is there a nice little primer somewhere that goes through the mechanics of it all?

Your last few elections have convinced me that should have have such a test for prospective applicants.

As with all things in life, it is complicated.

If you are seriously running and want your name on a ballot, you run for President in each state, so that would be 50 sets of forms. Different states have different deadlines. Most of them likely have already passed. There are forms which likely cost hundreds of dollars to file.

This means without filing, you are running a write-in campaign. This might be problematic as some states might not even allow that.

Long story short Kanye West isn't going to win in 2020. But he is getting a little free publicity for his new album.

Long story short Kanye West isn't going to win in 2020. But he is getting a little free publicity for his new album.

Someone better remind Kanye that all Trump wanted to do is gain back some lost rating on The Apprentice by putting on a show about running for president... and then this happened.

What will happen when Kanye's embrace of the confederate flag becomes widely known?

Kanye-confederate-flag.jpg

a7acbc702f1e8a59cc8e93d549fafee5.jpg

"When you hear about slavery for 400 years ... for 400 years? That sounds like a choice," - Kanye West

Don't aspiring candidates usually first form an exploratory committees?

I agree, publicity stunt.

As with all things in life, it is complicated.

If you are seriously running and want your name on a ballot, you run for President in each state, so that would be 50 sets of forms. Different states have different deadlines. Most of them likely have already passed. There are forms which likely cost hundreds of dollars to file.

This means without filing, you are running a write-in campaign. This might be problematic as some states might not even allow that.

Exactly. You're running in 50 separate elections at once, each with different qualifying rules.

If you have a kilo of meth and a tiger, you're allowed to run for President.

If you have a kilo of meth and a tiger, you're allowed to run for President.

Is that what Obama had when he ran?

In a close race he could siphon off enough votes to change the winner of that state.

The question would be "whose votes would he siphon off?"

The assumption that POC will automatically vote for some confederate flag-wearing Uncle Tom just might be flawed.

TRUMP SUPPORTERS!

DON'T LET THEM CALL YOU RACIST!
VOTE KANYE 2020 !!!
OWN THE LIBRULZ!

There is no way that Kanye can run. It's already too late to get on the ballot in at least 6 states and the deadline is fast approaching in many other states.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/09/can-kanye-west-actually-make-it-on-the-presidential-ballot/

With just four months until the November general election, the music superstar has already missed filing deadlines for independent candidates in Indiana, Texas, Maine, New Mexico and North Carolina.

Additionally, West faces fast-approaching deadlines in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Utah and Wyoming.

Additionally, West will need to quickly gather tens of thousands of signatures from nearly every state across the country in order to gain “ballot access.”

Currently, West has not built a campaign infrastructure and has hired no staff. His two notable supporters are superstar wife Kim Kardashian and Tesla CEO Elon Musk.

The billionaire rap icon announced his late-entry bid for the presidency in a July 4 tweet: “We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States.”

Speaking to Forbes magazine in an interview published Wednesday, the musician said he was “taking the red hat off, with this interview,” and starting his own party for 2020, “the Birthday Party.”

He's either nuts or this is just a publicity stunt to get attention. Some of Kanye's friends have previously said that they think he suffers from bipolar disorder. That may well be true.

In a close race he could siphon off enough votes to change the winner of that state.

Whose votes exactly? He’d also likely be a write-in candidate which makes it even harder to get votes.

Maybe the Chinese can help him out with a few million counterfeit mail-in ballots.

In West's defense, Trump's run was also a publicity stunt that got out of hand. But that stunt started quite earlier.

In West's defense, Trump's run was also a publicity stunt that got out of hand. But that stunt started quite earlier.

Exactly. That was my point. Maybe Kanye is just too ignorant to understand how difficult is is to get on the ballot in all 50 states and how much work one must put in to achieve access to the ballot. Considering that other than his wife, his other celebrity supporter also has symptoms of mania, it's pretty funny. Maybe next time Musk will run for president.

I think most of us have learned that it's not a good idea to have a president who knows nothing about the laws of the country that they want to run.

To be elected the requirements are simple:

Natural-born (citizenship at birth, even if you're actually born outside the US) US citizen. (The Constitution also offers being a resident of US territory as of July 2, 1776. Obviously that provision has become moot.)
At least 35 years old.
Resident in the US for at least 14 years.

However, getting on the ballot is generally more than just forms--normally you need to collect enough signatures first. A signature isn't a vote, it's just a statement that this (the same process applies to putting initiatives on the ballot) deserves to be on the ballot. The number is normally some fairly small percentage of the number of people who voted in the last 4-year election. This would be an insurmountable stumbling block for him, there simply isn't enough time even if the filing deadline isn't already past.

Ballot access for presidential candidates - Ballotpedia has a good collection of details on how to get on the ballot. One has to do so state-by-state, and if one only does that for some states, one won't be on the ballot the other states.

I added up the signature requirements and the filing fees listed by that article, and for all 50 states, I found 795,096 signatures and $36,500 of filing fees.

One can run as a write-in candidate, but 8 states do not allow that, 33 require some paperwork about one's run, and the remaining 9 states don't need any such thing. The paperwork is so that a state's Board of Elections will count any write-in votes that one gets.

It would be easier if one was running in some political party, but I don't know which party would nominate Kanye West. I'm not familiar with most of the minor parties, but I doubt that any of them would want to nominate someone who has no history of involvement with them. As to the two major parties, they are wrapping up their primary elections, so it's too late for that.

Did you read my post, Loren? He is starting his own party. He calls it the Birthday Party! Seriously! The guy is nuts.

In order for Mr. West to run a credible campaign for POTUS, he must get on the ballot in 50 states. Most states require an independent candidate to gather a minimum number of signatures or pay a filing fee and register by a date certain. Mr. West missed the deadlines for Indiana, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas . Florid, Michigan, Oklahoma and South Carolina have deadlines next week.

This site has the information for independent candidates for all 50 states - https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_access_for_presidential_candidates

State Signature requirement or filing fee Filing deadline
Alabama 5,000 8/20/2020
Alaska 3,212 8/5/2020
Arizona 37,769 9/4/2020
Arkansas 1,000 8/3/2020
California 196,964 8/7/2020
Colorado pay $1,000 8/5/2020
Connecticut 5,250 8/7/2020
Delaware 7,118 9/1/2020
Florida 132,781 7/15/2020
Georgia 5,250 8/14/2020
Hawaii 4,347 8/5/2020