• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Lack of sex partners leads to inappropriate sex--it's natural

The Bunny Ranch. It's a petting zoo, for furries.

I read about a study where they taught apes about currency to see what happens. They handed out coins to them, like on an allowance... and taught them that they could trade the coins back for various food items. Less desirable foods (cucumber slices) were cheap. Most desirable foods (grapes) were expensive.
The researchers found that apes quickly learned to budget, save, and assign value to other items for internal trade.
Very quickly the female apes learned they can get coins from the males in exchange for sex.
Within a short time, all of the females had all of the coins and were lavishing in grapes, while all of the males were exhausted and eating only cucumber.

I read about a study where they taught apes about currency to see what happens. They handed out coins to them, like on an allowance... and taught them that they could trade the coins back for various food items. Less desirable foods (cucumber slices) were cheap. Most desirable foods (grapes) were expensive.
The researchers found that apes quickly learned to budget, save, and assign value to other items for internal trade.
Very quickly the female apes learned they can get coins from the males in exchange for sex.
Within a short time, all of the females had all of the coins and were lavishing in grapes, while all of the males were exhausted and eating only cucumber.

They were literally getting up to monkey business.

From which we can conclude that male monkeys value sex more than grapes.

From which we can conclude that male monkeys value sex more than grapes.

What I have concluded from it is that the expression, "the oldest profession" has gone to plaid.
.. it was Derec's post that made me thought of that study.

Plausible hypothesis, but it should be noted it wasn't at all tested. They found a single monkey who had sex with deer. The monkey is a "peripheral male" who doesn't get much action from monkeys. They are hypothesizing that he is resorting to sex with deer b/c he doesn't get any "normal" action, but they have no way to test that against other theories such as that he is "peripheral" because he is a weirdo who screws deer.

This is very relevant to the OP's "vatican" comment. It is possible that celibacy leads some priests to seek out sex with minors b/c they think its easier to keep it secret. However, it is also possible that men attracted to sex with kids seek out the priesthood because it is a way to hide the fact that they don't want to have sex with adults. And maybe a blend of both are true and together account for what seems a disproportionate number of child rapists in the priesthood.

Plausible hypothesis, but it should be noted it wasn't at all tested. They found a single monkey who had sex with deer. The monkey is a "peripheral male" who doesn't get much action from monkeys. They are hypothesizing that he is resorting to sex with deer b/c he doesn't get any "normal" action, but they have no way to test that against other theories such as that he is "peripheral" because he is a weirdo who screws deer.

This is very relevant to the OP's "vatican" comment. It is possible that celibacy leads some priests to seek out sex with minors b/c they think its easier to keep it secret. However, it is also possible that men attracted to sex with kids seek out the priesthood because it is a way to hide the fact that they don't want to have sex with adults. And maybe a blend of both are true and together account for what seems a disproportionate number of child rapists in the priesthood.

There is nothing easy about keeping a pedophilia relationship secret.

Personal experience has shown that a priest who desires to have sex with an adult woman will have very little trouble finding a willing partner. In fact, a heterosexual relationship with a consensual woman is the lowest risk violation of a vow of chastity, for many reasons.

In the history of human sexuality, it has been shown time and again, the only way to prevent a human from seeking out the sexual partner of choice, women, boys, sheep, etc, is to make it physically impossible. Threat of consequences has never been an effective deterrent.

And if more men knew how to please a woman in bed, fewer men would have to pay for sex.

Wouldn't they have to have said sex with said women before said women would know they were of said skill with said pleasure?

Or are you saying they should be so good that hookers would feel wrong accepting money after the fact? :D

Wouldn't they have to have said sex with said women before said women would know they were of said skill with said pleasure?
Well, that's part of dating, trying to convince them it would be worth the while to see for themselves.
Or offer yourself as a fixer-upper, allowing that she could build to suit.

Personal experience has shown that a priest who desires to have sex with an adult woman will have very little trouble finding a willing partner. In fact, a heterosexual relationship with a consensual woman is the lowest risk violation of a vow of chastity, for many reasons.

In the history of human sexuality, it has been shown time and again, the only way to prevent a human from seeking out the sexual partner of choice, women, boys, sheep, etc, is to make it physically impossible. Threat of consequences has never been an effective deterrent.

The vast majority of priest assaults on kids are still secrets, so its not so hard to keep those secret. With an adult relationship, the moment the adult doesn't want to have that relationship they are likely to tell others that they had sex with the priest. They didn't break any vows. So they have no reason to keep it a secret. The kids have fear of authority that keeps them quiet, plus (unfortunately) a strong sense of shame and guilt. They were involved in "shameful" event that will bring them unwanted attention if they make it public. Even when they become an adult, they often don't want to be categorized as someone that was molested, so they keep it hidden.
Regardless, what matters is what the priest believes is true about being able to keep kids quiet vs. an adult. While things have changed alot in the past decade, for centuries they were able to keep kids quiet about it.

Consequences most certainly have massive impact on sexual behavior and choice of partner. Countless homosexuals lived their lives having sex with a gender they had no interest in, solely due to consequences. Countless heteros have married and had sex their whole lives with people they were not attracted to, because of social coercion to marry for reasons other than attraction. And as too prevalent as molestation is, it would be far moreso if there were no consequences for it, as their would be infinitely more infidelity in all types of relationships.

The vast majority of priest assaults on kids are still secrets, so its not so hard to keep those secret. With an adult relationship, the moment the adult doesn't want to have that relationship they are likely to tell others that they had sex with the priest. They didn't break any vows. So they have no reason to keep it a secret. The kids have fear of authority that keeps them quiet, plus (unfortunately) a strong sense of shame and guilt. They were involved in "shameful" event that will bring them unwanted attention if they make it public. Even when they become an adult, they often don't want to be categorized as someone that was molested, so they keep it hidden.
Regardless, what matters is what the priest believes is true about being able to keep kids quiet vs. an adult. While things have changed alot in the past decade, for centuries they were able to keep kids quiet about it.

Consequences most certainly have massive impact on sexual behavior and choice of partner. Countless homosexuals lived their lives having sex with a gender they had no interest in, solely due to consequences. Countless heteros have married and had sex their whole lives with people they were not attracted to, because of social coercion to marry for reasons other than attraction. And as too prevalent as molestation is, it would be far moreso if there were no consequences for it, as their would be infinitely more infidelity in all types of relationships.

How exactly do we quantify a vast amount, if it's still secret? The rest of your supposition is just as specious. Your understanding of human relationships is tenuous.

What I said was, "Threat of consequences has never been an effective deterrent." There's nothing in that statement which precludes a married man from violating the vows of marriage, with either a man or a woman.

There have been times in which I recall I took incredible risks for the sake of a sexual encounter. I was able to consider the consequences of being discovered and decided she was worth it. Looking back, I can see that while I had accurately judged the consequences, I had greatly over valued the reward. Such is the nature of love. I also see that nothing would have stopped me, short of physical impossibility. Fortunately for myself and society, I've always been attracted to females of my approximate age, so while prison was not a threat, angry fathers, were.

Back
Top Bottom