• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Laphonsa Butler chosen to replace Feinstein

To notify a split thread.
It's reminiscent of attending sporting events where spectators shout criticisms at players for not meeting their expectations, yet those same critics wouldn't even measure up to the water boy's abilities if they were on the field.

When I see the irrelevant attacks on the quality of a woman’s educational and professional achievements, I am always reminded of the fable of the fox and the grapes.
I have not been making any "irrelevant attacks on the quality of a woman’s educational and professional achievements".
I was merely responding to Toni's unsubstantiated claims that LB was "brilliant".

There is nothing wrong per se with LB's educational or professional background. I would not have even commented on it were it not for Toni's hyperbolic statements about her "brilliance".
You felt it necessary to denigrate the accomplishments of yet another woman because you disagreed with the description of "brilliance"? I think your defense is both inept and extremely revealing.

Derec said:
We will see how she comports herself in the Senate. I have some doubts because of how she was selected (based chiefly on her race and gender). Her leading Emily's List, an exclusionary group that only supports female candidates is also not really indicative of building coalitions.
But again, let's see. She may surprise me. Or not.
Organizing an union is building coalitions. And every organization, no matter how "exclusionary" is about building coalitions. Not everyone is a lockstep robot among like minded people.

But of course you have your doubts about a person who is black woman. But again, let's see. You may surprise everyone. Or not.

Things like being responsible, driven, organized, personable and logical are likely more important.

2 out of 5 ain’t too bad right?
Uh huh, I am distinctly NOT responsible, driven or organized. But people like me and I can think (if not act) logically.
The people I know who are responsible, driven and organized are either quite unhappy seeming, or tend to compartmentalize those attributes, and make plenty of time for cutting loose. I admire those in the latter category, but alas - I will never measure up to that.

Things like being responsible, driven, organized, personable and logical are likely more important.

2 out of 5 ain’t too bad right?
Uh huh, I am distinctly NOT responsible, driven or organized. But people like me and I can think (if not act) logically.
The people I know who are responsible, driven and organized are either quite unhappy seeming, or tend to compartmentalize those attributes, and make plenty of time for cutting loose. I admire those in the latter category, but alas - I will never measure up to that.
You might be selling yourself short, like I do for myself sometimes. I often call myself lazy and not very driven, as (for example) I spend time on this forum just arguing with randos around the world, when I should be cleaning house or mowing my lawn or doing taxes. When I tell people (mostly clients) I'm a lazy person, they are aghast because they know me as a person who is prepared and works hard to get a job done, even if it means skipping lunch. But when I get home, its straight to the microwave and then the Laz-E-Boy chair, followed by nodding off at 8:30.

When I tell people (mostly clients) I'm a lazy person, they are aghast because they know me as a person who is prepared and works hard to get a job done, even if it means skipping lunch. But when I get home, its straight to the microwave and then the Laz-E-Boy chair, followed by nodding off at 8:30.
That's not laziness. I could go into great detail about just how lazy I was in my youth, but frankly, I can't be bothered. ;)

I grew out of it at around fifty years of age; Now I am highly productive and hard working - just as you describe yourself (only you denigrate your productivity as "laziness"). I even have the Laz-E-Boy, and 8:30 sounds ambitious - I'm in bed by 8 most evenings.

You seem pretty responsible and driven, at least when it comes to your pets. You're obviously smart and have a good sense of humor, so what else does one need.
Thank you for fostering such a positive image of me! I feel obliged to disillusion you though.
I am only “responsible” for my animals because they pervade my thoughts and are part of my activities most of the time. And I love them.
I am EXTREMELY absent minded, as teachers have noted since third grade. I am really surprised I have not yet awakened to find the cat in the refrigerator or something like that. I make a mess and don’t clean up - not because I don’t want to but because I forget and am on to making a different mess.
I am definitely NOT “driven”, and several child psychologists could confirm that if they were still alive and had better memories than I. My religious affiliation is for the Church of the Sub-Genius, which reveres slack and the pursuit thereof. The ability to extract peace and happiness from a mundane existence is my greatest strength.

With the amount of opportunity I have had, a person of average drive and intelligence would amass a huge resumé of accomplishments. The things I am most proud of doing are the things I did not do, despite great temptation.

Now you know!

I wish Diane was here to help me. She never stopped. This thing would be done by now. 😢

When I see the irrelevant attacks on the quality of a woman’s educational and professional achievements, I am always reminded of the fable of the fox and the grapes.

Ms Butler’s record is indicative of a person of intelligence, ambition and hard work who knows how to build coalitions. Sounds like an excellent US Senate candidate to me.
Objection--that should say "Sounds like an excellent US Senator". Her record says little about her electability and thus whether she would make a good candidate.

No, I’m responding to the very frequent accusation/supposition that someone was only admitted or hired in order to fill some non-existent quota. It’s right up there with the insistence that composite SAT scores are indicative or even good predictors of who will be more successful academically, even when the difference in scores is very small.
No matter how much you would like to pretend unofficial quotas do not exist they still do. If nothing else, look at how the racial mix remained pretty stable while the applicant mix varied.

However, I would say getting into Harvard sets a high enough bar that even a diversity admit is qualified. (And I think it's unlikely she was a diversity admit.)

No, I’m responding to the very frequent accusation/supposition that someone was only admitted or hired in order to fill some non-existent quota. It’s right up there with the insistence that composite SAT scores are indicative or even good predictors of who will be more successful academically, even when the difference in scores is very small.
No matter how much you would like to pretend unofficial quotas do not exist they still do. If nothing else, look at how the racial mix remained pretty stable while the applicant mix varied.

However, I would say getting into Harvard sets a high enough bar that even a diversity admit is qualified. (And I think it's unlikely she was a diversity admit.)
Obviously she was not a diversity admit to Harvard. She never attended Harvard and as far as I know, never applied to Harvard.

You are just like those girls and boys trying to be all bougie, you with your labels and logos all over everything ir else you have no idea how to recognize quality.

Split from Feinstein deterioration thread

Ms Butler’s record is indicative of a person of intelligence, ambition and hard work who knows how to build coalitions. Sounds like an excellent US Senate candidate to me.
Objection--that should say "Sounds like an excellent US Senator". Her record says little about her electability and thus whether she would make a good candidate.
We differ on what defines a good candidate. In my view a good candidate is not necessarily one that gets elected or is necessarily electable - a good candidate is someone who will do a good job.

Back
Top Bottom