• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Laws of Nature... emergent property of matter or immaterial rules imposed upon matter?

The way creationists write about laws, they tend to treat laws like ideas ruling over matter, as something distinct from matter. I've seen some creationists talk about them the same way they sometimes speak of rules of logic... something immaterial and prior even to the universe.

I figure the pull of gravity, for an example, is inherent to matter so the pattern or force isn't somehow "put there" to rule over matter... Rather, the force and the patterns it makes are matter's innate characteristics.

I'd think that to some theist minds, the patterns that emerge are those that please God the most. So large scale distribution of matter due to gravitation would follow patterns that are most pleasing to God, if we assume a God that derives pleasure from serving the interests of its creation the large scale distribution of matter/energy would follow the interests and/or needs of the sentient creations of God (even if they are primarily the elementary particles that create us).

(To a theist) matter's innate properties might include things we cannot directly observe, such as specific desires/urges, thoughts, needs, etc. that are satisfied by God following "natural laws" or replicating certain patterns of behavior over and over again for God's creatures (you know, elementary particles).

So they'd (laws of nature) be rules in the sense that God follows certain rules when catering to creatures, to fulfill the creature's desires. They'd also be emergent properties of matter in the sense that matter itself might have natural desires based on very real, logical preferences (certain patterns of energy/matter are more pleasant than others).

This would leave humans practically screwed- the beings we are comprised of have their own self interests, that God places above our own. So prayer to God to change something in our lives might require a searching of possible natural paths, in order to cater to both the desires we have, and the desires of the pre-existing, seniority having beings (fundamental particles), who pretty much think "born of fire, we're way better than these loser ass humans".

So yeah. It takes an AI.

No, what you said was:

What we know is how things act because the "laws" are there.

You are saying that the laws make things act a particular way. This is not so. Things act a particular way, and we write "laws" that are descriptions as to how they act.

It comes down to cause.

I fail to see your distinction.

We see an apple fall to the earth and we conclude it fell because of "laws".

We conclude the "laws" are there based on the behavior of things we can observe.

We cannot observe any laws.

No, what you said was:

You are saying that the laws make things act a particular way. This is not so. Things act a particular way, and we write "laws" that are descriptions as to how they act.

It comes down to cause.

We conclude the "laws" are there based on the behavior of things we can observe.

Agreed.

Laws of nature exist independent of man. It's not something we've invented. It's some regularity we've discovered through observation and spoke of to describe and predict those regularities.
If laws of nature are regularities then don't call them laws of nature, call them regularities.

And of course, regularity just means that nature appears to us observers as if it was following a rule. But there's no rule either. It's just the way nature is.
EB
Laws of nature is what underlies the regularities.

When we look to nature and observe an apple fall, that's a fact of nature. There is a reason or causal explanation for why such a fact repeatedly occurs under similar circumstances. What underlies the regularities are the forces at work. Those forces are not man made but rather of nature--and we call those laws OF nature.

When we observe what we see and subsequently create a mathematical notation helping predict what would happen if we dropped an apple, that is a human invented law in mathematical form. Like a word is to a referent of a word, a human law describing is to what a human is describing.

We discovered the moon; we invented the word. We discovered that there are regularities and postulated an underlying cause. There is a cause, and that would be the non man made discoveries awaiting our made man written descriptions and mathematical notations. Our man made descriptions and man made mathematical notations are laws OF man, and like a man made word that refers, they refer to the discoverables in nature, the very forces at work in nature: the laws of nature.

I know of no scientific argument for existence (against creationists - or anyone else). Can you site one? Who is arguing against existence?

Incorrectly using "natural law" as the reason for the argument, opposing the creationist idea.

Facts are not measures... they are data points. Measures are meaningful thresholds within data sets.

I think I've lost track of what you are trying to say.

I agree .. current facts are not measures (for the reason above).

Last edited:
Is 'to observe but not understand' (to paraphrase a bit) the same thing as failing to say why things exist or why they do what they do?

When people want to know 'the What' or 'the How' about existence (observe and describe it), is that a failure to fully understand nature for leaving out 'the Why'? I think it seems to you that "atheistic" science comes up short of explaining existence for having said a What or How instead of a Why. I think, for you, anyone who doesn't know "the Why" of existence (the origin and thus the mind "behind" it) is stuck in a state of "I don't know-ism".

I would have thought scientific curiosity at least would be worth pondering on for those interested and perhaps it is - for those who are termed "opened minded" using the "agnostics" label .

What we call 'laws of nature' are essentially formal expressions we use to represent our understanding of our experience of our natural environment. They are definitely human constructs but it's probably the case any intelligent species would come up with something very similar. Similar but not identical. So laws of nature are probably profoundly human... in nature.
EB

So why did we produce a gold record, laying our understanding of the laws of nature out presuming any 'intelligent' species might decode, read, and agree with them, then send it out into the galaxy?
There's no fundamental difference between the way we express what we call laws of nature and the way we express our ideas generally in any human language. It works as long as you speak the same language. So sending out some neat formula about the known facts of our universe will work but only if the Alien civilisation receiving it speaks the same language. It's not impossible. It's definitely logically possible, but the odds are very, very small. That being said, for formal languages, the odds may be less minuscule than for, say, English or French.

Also, scientists do all sorts of things without asking my opinion about it. This is not democratic. If you do something that's potentially putting the future of humanity in the balance you should ask for democratic permission. These people are jerks.
EB

If laws of nature are regularities then don't call them laws of nature, call them regularities.

And of course, regularity just means that nature appears to us observers as if it was following a rule. But there's no rule either. It's just the way nature is.
EB
Laws of nature is what underlies the regularities.

When we look to nature and observe an apple fall, that's a fact of nature. There is a reason or causal explanation for why such a fact repeatedly occurs under similar circumstances. What underlies the regularities are the forces at work. Those forces are not man made but rather of nature--and we call those laws OF nature.

When we observe what we see and subsequently create a mathematical notation helping predict what would happen if we dropped an apple, that is a human invented law in mathematical form. Like a word is to a referent of a word, a human law describing is to what a human is describing.

We discovered the moon; we invented the word. We discovered that there are regularities and postulated an underlying cause. There is a cause, and that would be the non man made discoveries awaiting our made man written descriptions and mathematical notations. Our man made descriptions and man made mathematical notations are laws OF man, and like a man made word that refers, they refer to the discoverables in nature, the very forces at work in nature: the laws of nature.
I'm sure that's what scientists at the time believed, which is not surprising. People like Newton believed in a God-made universe. The notion of having laws of nature made by God was part of the culture of the time. The expression itself, laws of nature, can apparently be traced back to the religious culture of the time. People also tend naturally to express themselves in a teleological way, even non-religious people, even often scientists themselves, even when discussing the theory of evolution for example.

I think the point to understand is that we don't actually know the universe itself. Everything we know without mediation are our perceptions. So we can only assume that the regularities we know there are in our perception reflect regularities in nature. However, we know the regularities in our perception but we don't know those we assume in nature. All we can do is make assumptions and see if they stand the test of time. So far, many purported regularities haven't. Looking back the long history of mankind in this regard, most of our beliefs about the world have been falsified. Today, science contains formal expressions that are considered as expressing our best understanding of nature. Yet, we're no longer clear about what these regularities are in themselves and whether they really 'look' anything like the physical realities they are supposed to represent. Is there even really something like a geometrical space? Is time real? Who really understands Quantum Physics? All we need to understand the situation is that there should be some mechanism that ensures that our perceptions help us survive in our environment, not only as a species, but also as individual organisms. Such a mechanism wouldn't necessarily require that the laws of nature we invent should be anything like the physical realities they are supposed to represent. So even if there are regularities, we don't know that there is any and we don't know what they are. It's also possible that there is none and that we just don't understand how it's possible (although some physicists seem to have a possible explanation). The regularities you see in nature are essentially convenient falsehoods, i.e. falsehoods that do work in practice. I don't see how we could move beyond that difficulty.
EB

Scientific laws and theories are simply mental constructs that exist in our heads and represent our best attempt to understand reality through the prism of evidence.

Every so often, we find that the models in our head don't quite match reality, and so we modify the models in our heads because we cannot modify reality. Newton's equations of motion were good enough for a long time until Einstein came up with relativity. We found that Einstein's equations produced more accurate predictions, so those equations replaced Newton's equations. We still teach Newton to students and engineers because the equations are easier and in most cases, good enough, but Einstein's equations are the correct model of motion.

Taxonomy is another good example. The concept of species, genus, phylum, kingdom, etc aren't real things that exist in the world. They are simply mental constructs: little boxes in our heads. We organize all life into those little boxes in our heads.

Every once in a while, we find that something doesn't fit into a box, then the taxonomists have a debate, then some of the boxes get thrown out and replaced with new boxes because the taxonomists changed one or more definitions. Bonobos were once considered a type of chimpanzee, now they are their own thing.

Reality is under no obligation to fit into the models of reality we create in our heads. As I said before, if we stumble upon something in reality that doesn't quite fit the little boxes in our heads, we have to change the boxes because we can't change reality.

Speakpigeon said:
I'm sure that's what scientists at the time believed, which is not surprising. People like Newton believed in a God-made universe. The notion of having laws of nature made by God was part of the culture of the time. The expression itself, laws of nature, can apparently be traced back to the religious culture of the time. People also tend naturally to express themselves in a teleological way, even non-religious people, even often scientists themselves, even when discussing the theory of evolution for example.

I have closed no doors but one. I am saying that laws of nature are not manmade, but I am not invoking God into the equation. I'm not saying nor denying a God connection. The physics behind the regularities are the laws. If no person has ever lived past 125 years of age, and even if it just so happens that no person will ever live beyond 125 years of age, it's still not physically impossible, just that it hasn't or won't happen. If I release a rock from my hand, it's not going float or rise. It's going to drop/fall. But, not only will it, it must, physically speaking. Why? Laws of nature. In this case, the law behind the scenes is gravitational force. That doesn't close the door to physical phenomena being the laws of nature itself, nor does it invoke nor deny a God connection. All I'm carrying on about is that the referent to the term "laws of nature" is a discoverable inherent to nature, not some man made invented statement.

We didn't create the moon. We did observe it, and though we have a word that refers to it, it's incorrect to say we invented the moon just because we created the word.

We didn't create forces of nature (aka laws of nature). We do postulate that there are forces behind the regularities we observe, and like we created the word moon, so too did we create formulas and statements about the regularities observed in nature, but neither the moon nor the forces of nature were invented; instead, they are discoverables. They are not statements but what statements are about.

I think the point to understand is that we don't actually know the universe itself. Everything we know without mediation are our perceptions. So we can only assume that the regularities we know there are in our perception reflect regularities in nature. However, we know the regularities in our perception but we don't know those we assume in nature. All we can do is make assumptions and see if they stand the test of time. So far, many purported regularities haven't. Looking back the long history of mankind in this regard, most of our beliefs about the world have been falsified.
We make mistakes.

Today, science contains formal expressions that are considered as expressing our best understanding of nature.
Exactly! These formal expression are manmade. We didn't discover the expressions. Not in a microscope, not through a telescope. Not behind a rock hidden behind a tree. We discovered not the expressions but what the expressions are expressions of. We didn't invent gravity. We discovered gravity. If we invented anything, it's expressions, and if we discovered anything, it's what our expressions are expressions of.

Yet, we're no longer clear about what these regularities are in themselves and whether they really 'look' anything like the physical realities they are supposed to represent. Is there even really something like a geometrical space? Is time real? Who really understands Quantum Physics? All we need to understand the situation is that there should be some mechanism that ensures that our perceptions help us survive in our environment, not only as a species, but also as individual organisms. Such a mechanism wouldn't necessarily require that the laws of nature we invent should be anything like the physical realities they are supposed to represent. So even if there are regularities, we don't know that there is any and we don't know what they are. It's also possible that there is none and that we just don't understand how it's possible (although some physicists seem to have a possible explanation). The regularities you see in nature are essentially convenient falsehoods, i.e. falsehoods that do work in practice. I don't see how we could move beyond that difficulty.
EB
There is sometimes a disconnect between a created formula (invented by man) and what the formula is a formula of, nature (something in nature for our discovery). What stresses me isn't the details but what side of this great divide we're on. I don't believe for a moment that laws of nature are human inventions. When I say that, be careful not to think I'm saying something I'm not. If you said we invented the moon and I said no, we didn't, it's like you'd say, then who? I'm saying the moon was there all along and that we later came along and discovered it.

Laws of nature were here all along, so we couldn't have invented them. We invented something alright. Sure enough did. Statements and mathematical formulas. Are they right? Eh, who knows, maybe some are dead on accurate while others are off a bit while others are completely off base. Whatever the case, what is critical to grasp is the very important distinction between (A) these statements and formulas (that are inventions of man) and (B) what these statements and formulas are statements and formulas of (that are discovered by man).

When a scientist discovers some interaction in nature, what they discovered is B. When he translates the interaction found in nature into a formula and it later shows up in a textbook, I assure you that what the student sees is A (not B).

So, what are the laws of nature? A or B

It's so very unfortunate that some fail to grasp this mightily important conflation. Laws of nature are not the written notations. They are not statements at all. It used to be common sense that when we spoke of statements that what was really being spoken of was what statements were about.

Last edited:
Assuming our view of nature is broadly correct, all that we have access to as individuals, a direct and unmediated access, an access which is as good as actual knowledge, are our perceptions. So, we can say we know our perceptions. Yet, there is no way for us to decide how similar to the physical world our perceptions are. We cannot step out of the theatre of our perceptions to have a good look at the physical world and see if it's really like what our perceptions tell us. So the real nature of the physical world really is anybody's guess. Obviously, according to our view of nature, our perceptions need to bear some relation to our environment and therefore to nature. But we don't know what this relation really is, essentially because this relation can only be outside our perceptions. We certainly have a view about it but we cannot from our perceptions properly deduce what nature is really like. All we can do is hope that the same causes will produce the same effects, and that the same natural event will produce the same perceptions so that from the same perceptions we can assume that the same natural event did occur. Yet, this does not tell us what this event is at all, merely that the same completely unknown event did occur at different points in time. There's no harm in believing that what our perceptions show to us is the actual reality around us. There has been no harm in that for apparently now something like 300,000 years so we can probably trust our perceptions. But it is nonetheless a false belief. It is a false belief and we are unable to tell which part of our representation of nature might be accurate or indeed if any part is accurate. It has to be good enough to be useful, just as a word is good enough to be useful as a means of communication even though a word cannot possibly look or be anything like what it is supposed to refer to. All we can do is hope that the objects that appear in our perceptions, a tree, a house, the moon, are useful representations. The so-called laws of nature we have invented are in fact laws of a fictitious world presented to us by our perceptions. Our perceptions are not exactly conventions like words are, but they are as good as conventions. They are whatever turned out to be useful means of representation during our evolution from bacterium to homo sapiens. Perceptions are essentially arbitrary representations. They need not bear any ressemblance with reality as long as they keep being useful. That aspect of our nature would be more readily apparent if we could communicate effectively with other animals species. Hence, laws of nature as we think of them aren't anything like the reality of the physical world. We can hope that there are regularities, but it is naïve to think that these regularities are accurately represented by the laws we invented. We could still assume the existence of actual laws of nature, unknowable but in existence nonetheless, but it seems simpler to just remain agnostic in this respect. All that is needed is a mechanism by which nature manages to appear regular to us. It doesn't necessarily need to be guided by laws. It just has to appear to be regular. If it can do that without any laws, so be it. The fact that we are too dumb to see how it could do it has to be irrelevant.
EB

Assuming our view of nature is broadly correct, all that we have access to as individuals, a direct and unmediated access, an access which is as good as actual knowledge, are our perceptions.
Right, okay, well, this is a wishy-washy notion that we don't know things about the external world because we don't have direct access to it but instead we have access only to internal mental percepts of the external world provided to us through sensory perception. It's like saying we really don't see things because our mind doesn't have direct access to the world around us leaving us to interpret the signals provided through our visual senses. Next, we'll be led to believe we don't really drive since the vehicles our bodies are in aren't in direct contact with the road our vehicles are on. I, personally, wouldn't hold the notion that we don't know things about the world around us just because the neurons in the brain don't have physical contact with the objects in nature, and by "know," I don't mean it in some God like sense where it's impossible to be incorrect. It's always logically possible to be mistaken, even when actually correct. From your statement, we can deduce that we might be mistaken about what we think we know. I don't dispute that.

Hence, laws of nature as we think of them aren't anything like the reality of the physical world. We can hope that there are regularities, but it is naïve to think that these regularities are accurately represented by the laws we invented.
The laws we invent are not laws of nature. If we invent them, then they are laws of man. They are not laws meant to govern nature (of course--nature would never abide by our commands) but merely to (hopefully) reflect the causal nature of nature.

We could still assume the existence of actual laws of nature, unknowable but in existence nonetheless, but it seems simpler to just remain agnostic in this respect.
I know there are laws of nature with at least the same confidence I have there is a causal reason for a rock will fall from my hand if let go. Might be wrong. Not wrong, but might be. Actually right. Might be wrong. Not wrong. Might be right. Am right. Always might be wrong. Always might be right. Actually, only one of the two. Hence, and simplified, actuality implies possibility while possibility doesn't.

Question, if there are laws of nature, am I talking about statements and formulas created thus invented by man to reflect the underpinnings of the observed regularities or are laws of nature the underpinnings of the observed regularities? I say the latter, and I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Right, okay, well, this is a wishy-washy notion that we don't know things about the external world because we don't have direct access to it but instead we have access only to internal mental percepts of the external world provided to us through sensory perception. It's like saying we really don't see things because our mind doesn't have direct access to the world around us leaving us to interpret the signals provided through our visual senses. Next, we'll be led to believe we don't really drive since the vehicles our bodies are in aren't in direct contact with the road our vehicles are on.
There is nothing wishy-washy about the idea that our perceptions don't need to be true of the world around us. Science agrees with me.

There has been two main drivers for this idea. First, writings by many philosophers, and prominent among them, Plato, Descartes and Kant. And then science itself. I think they bear equal responsibility. Philosophy introduced the idea while science showed how it could work in practice, and indeed how it worked in some specific instances: How our representation of the world around us is mediated by an organic perception system, how evolution works by selecting whatever works, how the things supposedly perceived are irrevocably removed from us, for example science says that the twinkling star we think we see in fact no longer exists as we see it, and possibly no longer exist at all, how what we think of as elementary particles don't in fact behave as such, for example, what looks like the straightforward trajectory of a particle is now understood as not a trajectory at all, but more something like a set of local events, each one independent from the other, with all events merely probabilistically occurring in neat succession and very nearly along a straight line, thus merely giving the appearance of a trajectory.

A very simple example of how science shows how it can work are colours. Science says that light is best described as electromagnetic waves, which broadly are energy the quantity of which is fluctuating at very, very high frequencies over space and time. Crucially, science says light is nothing else but these electromagnetic waves. From this you have to deduce that light is not, and does not contain, colours, at all. Instead, colours should be understood as entirely in our perceptions. A red light at a crossroad is not itself red. Our perception system makes it out as red. It's an arbitrary representation, a convention, a picture. The real world is behind the picture and we can't step outside to look behind the picture. All that we have is the picture. And crucially, this also shows why it works. As drivers we better be able to tell red from green. It doesn't matter that we should be able to know the real state of the traffic light.

A good analogy is provided by computers. Computer programmes can be very effective, including now driving trains, aircrafts, cars and all sorts of machines. Yet, they don't have anything inside them that would resemble our perceptions or indeed the world around them. All the knowledge they have available to them to select the next of their actions that will be nearly always effective are symbolic codes. These codes are arbitrary and vary in effect from one type of computer to the next, and they have been so written because the programmer believed they would result in the computer doing the expecting things, not because the codes would somehow be true of the world, or represent the world. In fact, what we call a code, is not even anything like a code. Look into a computer and you won't see anything like a programme written anywhere. What we call a code is itself a convenient fiction. All a computer could be said to contain are electronic elements in various magnetic states interacting with each other. And then even that is just another, more elaborate fiction. Still, it works and that's all that we need.

I, personally, wouldn't hold the notion that we don't know things about the world around us just because the neurons in the brain don't have physical contact with the objects in nature, and by "know," I don't mean it in some God like sense where it's impossible to be incorrect. It's always logically possible to be mistaken, even when actually correct. From your statement, we can deduce that we might be mistaken about what we think we know. I don't dispute that.
That's good but then I don't see why you want to insist that you know anything. All that you should say is that may be you know something, which even I accept may be true.

Hence, laws of nature as we think of them aren't anything like the reality of the physical world. We can hope that there are regularities, but it is naïve to think that these regularities are accurately represented by the laws we invented.
The laws we invent are not laws of nature. If we invent them, then they are laws of man. They are not laws meant to govern nature (of course--nature would never abide by our commands) but merely to (hopefully) reflect the causal nature of nature.
I certainly accept that by laws of nature we usually mean laws that really are somehow an integral part of nature itself, as opposed to merely our representation of nature. But the question is whether what we mean is true of the world. Personally, I don't think so and I have long been advocating for scientists to drop this expression for their vocabulary as misleading and essentially teleological.

The term 'regularities' doesn't seem to connote laws of nature. Regularity is something we observe in nature just as we think we can observe a star or an atom. Regularity is a measure of the physical world and scientists seem to understand the distinction between the measure and the thing measured. Laws of nature don't seem that way. The expression seems to suggest there is something else beyond what is effectively observed. But if physical laws existed in nature, scientists would expect that it should be possible to observe them one way or the other and I'm sure none of them is thinking in those terms.

We could still assume the existence of actual laws of nature, unknowable but in existence nonetheless, but it seems simpler to just remain agnostic in this respect.
I know there are laws of nature with at least the same confidence I have there is a causal reason for a rock will fall from my hand if let go. Might be wrong. Not wrong, but might be. Actually right. Might be wrong. Not wrong. Might be right. Am right. Always might be wrong. Always might be right. Actually, only one of the two. Hence, and simplified, actuality implies possibility while possibility doesn't.

Question, if there are laws of nature, am I talking about statements and formulas created thus invented by man to reflect the underpinnings of the observed regularities or are laws of nature the underpinnings of the observed regularities? I say the latter, and I'm pretty sure I'm right.

You should be more critical of your own expressions: in what physical sense could laws of nature underpin observed regularities? The expression seems to suggest that laws of nature would exist as causal agents. How could that possibly work? Nature surely isn't a big machine operating on a programme of physical laws? Where would these laws be and what would be their mode of action? How could they drive physical events and if they did not, why would they exist at all and why call them "laws"? It all looks like a total mystery!
EB

Agreed.

You are both looking at it in simplistic (as in, easy to communicate) terms.

There is a chair sitting in the corner of the room... wait, the chair is "sitting".. so it can "stand up" if it wanted to? It has a butt to sit on? Is the chair tired, so it is sitting?

why does a ball always want to roll downhill and not uphill? Wait, the ball has wants? It desires, and pleads for "downess"? how crazy is that talk?

"laws" are an extinct term of the past, in science.. it is too imprecise... too easy to misunderstand the intended meaning (as I believe you are). What was meant by "law" way back then was "a theory that has so much evidence for, and not a shred of evidence against, that it would be inconceivable in any foreseeable future for the theory to be upended or abandoned by additional understanding". The hubris of "ancient science" is over. We don't say things are laws anymore. Otherwise, it would be called the "Law of Evolution" by now.. .but we don't use those absolute terms anymore.

Agreed.

You are both looking at it in simplistic (as in, easy to communicate) terms.

There is a chair sitting in the corner of the room... wait, the chair is "sitting".. so it can "stand up" if it wanted to? It has a butt to sit on? Is the chair tired, so it is sitting?

why does a ball always want to roll downhill and not uphill? Wait, the ball has wants? It desires, and pleads for "downess"? how crazy is that talk?

"laws" are an extinct term of the past, in science.. it is too imprecise... too easy to misunderstand the intended meaning (as I believe you are). What was meant by "law" way back then was "a theory that has so much evidence for, and not a shred of evidence against, that it would be inconceivable in any foreseeable future for the theory to be upended or abandoned by additional understanding". The hubris of "ancient science" is over. We don't say things are laws anymore. Otherwise, it would be called the "Law of Evolution" by now.. .but we don't use those absolute terms anymore.

You haven't made any comment on the statements.

I put "law" in quotes to show we have no idea what they are, just that the effect of them being there can be observed.

Einstein talks about a bend in space, but that is an effect. The cause of the bend is the "law".

But if there are effects there must be causes for the effects. Even if we can't understand the causes.

It's not the cause. The "law" is a description of what happens when certain conditions exist. It's like the "law" of burning oxygen and hydrogen.. heat and water are produced, unless you are in a black hole, then cold tetrahedral crystalline structures are produced.

The bend is a repeated pattern that arises in the local universe again and again- when there is a certain energy density (including directional flow) in spacetime, there is a certain pattern of the evolution of the energy density in that region of spacetime.

It's not the cause. The "law" is a description of what happens when certain conditions exist. It's like the "law" of burning oxygen and hydrogen.. heat and water are produced, unless you are in a black hole, then cold tetrahedral crystalline structures are produced.

The bend is a repeated pattern that arises in the local universe again and again- when there is a certain energy density (including directional flow) in spacetime, there is a certain pattern of the evolution of the energy density in that region of spacetime.

If something happens it has to happen due to a cause.

A body at rest will remain at rest.

When you say, "is a description," do you think descriptions are causal or deny that laws are causal?

When you say, "is a description," do you think descriptions are causal or deny that laws are causal?

I think that descriptions are caused, and perhaps cause things to happen in some sense, so they are causal in that sense (being part of the causal chain).

However, I'm arguing that the laws are just descriptions of repeated things we observe in nature- so mass of 10^23 kg will cause a specific acceleration towards it, an electromagnetic field will interact with certain substances in certain ways, etc. The law correlating mass to acceleration is not a "law", but rather a mathematical description of the observed properties of nature.

The mass, that is related to the acceleration, is not necessarily causing the acceleration, rather looking at mass as separate from acceleration (as an independent entity) isn't necessarily a correct way of looking at things.

I have to move my car....

Back
Top Bottom