• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Louisiana mandates 10 Commandments In Schools

What a country! Russia is destroying all non-Russian Orthodox churches in Russian controlled Ukraine.

Religious freedom is under attack in Ukraine. Not from Ukrainian lawmakers, as some critics have falsely alleged, but from actual Russian soldiers.
A forgotten element of Russia’s war on Ukraine is its calculated destruction of churches and religious sites, part of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s physical and spiritual assault against the Ukrainian people.
This combination was most recently seen in late March, when the World Russian People’s Council adopted a statement overseen by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow. It described Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as a “holy war” and declared that “the entire territory of present-day Ukraine should be included in the area of Russia’s exclusive influence.”

That's BS. It's actually Ukraine who banned Ukrainain orthodox church.
Russia hase plenty non-orthodox churches. catholic churches, anglican churches, etc....
I think scientology and a couple of christian sects are still banned in Russia.

What a country! Russia is destroying all non-Russian Orthodox churches in Russian controlled Ukraine.

Religious freedom is under attack in Ukraine. Not from Ukrainian lawmakers, as some critics have falsely alleged, but from actual Russian soldiers.
A forgotten element of Russia’s war on Ukraine is its calculated destruction of churches and religious sites, part of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s physical and spiritual assault against the Ukrainian people.
This combination was most recently seen in late March, when the World Russian People’s Council adopted a statement overseen by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow. It described Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as a “holy war” and declared that “the entire territory of present-day Ukraine should be included in the area of Russia’s exclusive influence.”

Why would Ukraine ban Ukrainian orthodox churches?

Russia hase plenty non-orthodox churches. catholic churches, anglican churches, etc....
I think scientology and a couple of christian sects are still banned in Russia.
We aren't talking about churches in Russia.

Last edited:

because they’re nazis! Duh…

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is the one affiliated with a Russian head of church. There’s a different one that is actually Ukrainian-centered. I think.

But I could be wrong. JUst recalling that a Russia-headed church faction exists in Ukraine and there was a split kerfluffle.

Last edited:
Because they were "subsidiaries" of russian orthodox church.
And they did not simply ban them, they stole their property and gave it to illegal until recently Kiev branch of Ukrainian orthodox church.

I think the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is the one affiliated with a Russian head of church. There’s a different one that is actually Ukrainian-centered. I think.

But I could be wrong. JUst recalling that a Russia-headed church faction exists in Ukraine and there was a split kerfluffle.
Yes.

Basically ukrainian church was part of Russian one, that has been the arrangement since forever. With proxy war US started on Russia in Ukraine in 2014 that was weird so State Department decided that they will get Ukrainian church independent of Russian one. So they went the main orthodox guy in Constantinople and told him to make it happen. So he did. Russian Church did not agree with this. I for obvious reasons don't care that much, but there were a lot kicking and screaming during that divorce.

Last edited:

Technically they are.

Technically they are.

Ukrainians dumped the Russian Orthodox Church. Alien and unfriendly and supporter of War against Ukraine.

Technically they are.

Ukrainians dumped the Russian Orthodox Church. Alien and unfriendly and supporter of War against Ukraine.
No, CIA dumped Russian Orthodox Church. If I remember correctly CIA chief literally met with that guy in Constantinople.
In reality people were pissed off when the church where they coming for ages was suddenly raided and closed. As I said, lots of kicking and screaming.
People who were for closing russian churches were not even christians.
And it was logical thing to do for CIA, anything connected to Russia must be expelled, I understand the logic.

I notice that these 10C groupies don't talk about the Sermon on the Mount very much. Could it be that they don't like the idea of loving one's enemies?

Richard Carrier's version and the Perseus version of these alternate 10C's:

1. Trust good character more than promises.
Put more trust in nobility of character than in an oath.

2. Do not speak falsely.
Never tell a lie.
μὴ ψεύδου - do not tell lies

3. Do good things.
Pursue worthy aims.

4. Do not be hasty in making friends, but do not abandon them once made.
Do not be rash to make friends and, when once they are made, do not drop them.

5. Learn to obey before you command.
Learn to obey before you command.

6. When giving advice, do not recommend what is most pleasing, but what is most useful.
In giving advice seek to help, not to please, your friend.

7. Make reason your supreme commander.
Be led by reason.
νοῦν ἡγεμόνα ποιοῦ - make reason your leader / guide

8. Do not associate with people who do bad things.
Shun evil company.
μὴ κακοῖς ὁμίλει - do not associate with bad people

9. Honor the gods.
Honour the gods,
θεοὺς τίμα - honor the gods (plural in original)

10. Have regard for your parents.
reverence parents.
γονέας αἰδοῦ - have respect for (your) parents

Their author:  Solon
Solon (Greek: Σόλων; c. 630 – c. 560 BC) was an archaic Athenian statesman, lawmaker, political philosopher, and poet. He is one of the Seven Sages of Greece and credited with laying the foundations for Athenian democracy. Solon's efforts to legislate against political, economic and moral decline resulted in his constitutional reform overturning most of Draco's laws.

Solon's reforms included debt relief later known and celebrated among Athenians as the Seisachtheia (shaking off of burdens). He is described by Aristotle in the Athenian Constitution as "the first people's champion." Demosthenes credited Solon's reforms with starting a golden age.
Draco?  Draco (lawgiver)
The constitution featured several major innovations:

Instead of oral laws known to a special class, arbitrarily applied and interpreted, all laws were written, thus being made known to all literate citizens (who could appeal to the Areopagus for injustices): "the constitution formed under Draco, when the first code of laws was drawn up". (Aristotle: Athenian Constitution, Part 5, Section 41)

The laws distinguish between murder and involuntary homicide, a novel concept at that time.

The laws were particularly harsh. For example, any debtor whose status was lower than that of his creditor was forced into slavery. The punishment was more lenient for those owing a debt to a member of a lower class. The death penalty was the punishment for even minor offences, such as stealing a cabbage. Concerning the liberal use of the death penalty in the Draconic code, Plutarch states:

It is said that Drakon himself, when asked why he had fixed the punishment of death for most offences, answered that he considered these lesser crimes to deserve it, and he had no greater punishment for more important ones.

All Draco's laws were repealed by Solon in the early 6th century BC, with the exception of the homicide law.
That's where we get "draconian" from.

Technically they are.

No, CIA dumped Russian Orthodox Church. If I remember correctly CIA chief literally met with that guy in Constantinople.
In reality people were pissed off when the church where they coming for ages was suddenly raided and closed. As I said, lots of kicking and screaming.
And it was logical thing to do for CIA, anything connected to Russia must be expelled, I understand the logic.

CIA had nothing to do with Ukraine being pissed at the Russian Orthodox church that supported Pootie's invasion 110%. A religious fifth column in the heart of Ukraine.

Technically they are.

CIA had nothing to do with Ukraine being pissed at the Russian Orthodox church that supported Pootie's invasion 110%. A religious fifth column in the heart of Ukraine.
It happened in 2018-2019
And CIA has everything to do with everything.

Draco?  Draco (lawgiver)
The constitution featured several major innovations:

Instead of oral laws known to a special class, arbitrarily applied and interpreted, all laws were written, thus being made known to all literate citizens (who could appeal to the Areopagus for injustices): "the constitution formed under Draco, when the first code of laws was drawn up". (Aristotle: Athenian Constitution, Part 5, Section 41)

The laws distinguish between murder and involuntary homicide, a novel concept at that time.

The laws were particularly harsh. For example, any debtor whose status was lower than that of his creditor was forced into slavery. The punishment was more lenient for those owing a debt to a member of a lower class. The death penalty was the punishment for even minor offences, such as stealing a cabbage. Concerning the liberal use of the death penalty in the Draconic code, Plutarch states:

It is said that Drakon himself, when asked why he had fixed the punishment of death for most offences, answered that he considered these lesser crimes to deserve it, and he had no greater punishment for more important ones.

All Draco's laws were repealed by Solon in the early 6th century BC, with the exception of the homicide law.
That's where we get "draconian" from.
The idea being that treating greater and lesser crimes differently encouraged those lesser crimes. Deciding whether to murder is an existential risk, deciding whether to shoplift is just calculus. So make everything fatal, and you eliminate crime! So goes the thinking. More than a thousand years later, another famous 'Drake, Vlad Dracula of Wallachia, was inspired to create a similar system, staging extravagant executions for minor crimes.

The only problem with this theory of jurisprudence are that its costs outweigh its gains. Absolutist policies do deter crime, but create so much civil unrest that such regimes tend to falter. Dracula is an interesting exception, as he was regarded well in his time and remembered well now, at least by Romanians themselves, as a great hero and defender of the Christian East.

True. I went to Catholic schooling as well, the ten commandments were not heavily emphasized. The seven deadly sins, on the other hand...
The RCC was never much about reading the bable. I think they knew if they did the average person would get a clue.
The RCC did services in Latin in the USA because people were supposed to rely on the priests to read and interpret the Bible for them. My wife, a recovering Catholic, knows virtually nothing about the Bible. I was raised Presbyterian, and got a lot of exposure to both Old and New Testaments.

Technically they are.

It happened in 2018-2019
Was the CIA responsible for banning Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia?

Technically they are.

It happened in 2018-2019
False.

Because they were "subsidiaries" of russian orthodox church.
And they did not simply ban them, they stole their property and gave it to illegal until recently Kiev branch of Ukrainian orthodox church.
I looked it up and you are correct about the ban. Nations at war generally do not care for traitorous organizations.

True. I went to Catholic schooling as well, the ten commandments were not heavily emphasized. The seven deadly sins, on the other hand...
The RCC was never much about reading the bable. I think they knew if they did the average person would get a clue.
The RCC did services in Latin in the USA because people were supposed to rely on the priests to read and interpret the Bible for them. My wife, a recovering Catholic, knows virtually nothing about the Bible. I was raised Presbyterian, and got a lot of exposure to both Old and New Testaments.
The mass was changed to English in the mid 60's. Is it still true that Catholics don't reads the bible?

Back
Top Bottom