• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Louisiana mandates 10 Commandments In Schools

News out of Oklahoma, even worse...

I am absolutely - positively - unalterably opposed to any government mandated teaching of the Bible, other than as a part of comparative religion studies or something we used to call "social studies" which examined societies and what influenced their people. Under no circumstances do I trust any part of government to teach anyone what their religious beliefs should be. They seem to have forgotten that one of the primary reasons for the existence of the US was that many people were fleeing this exact type of governmental mandate. Ryan Walters is a dangerous man and cannot be trusted. He should be removed from his position immediately.

Looks like I will be offending some of my family members once again. Oh well.

Ruth

My AA home group is being welcomed to meet at Hope United Church of Christ. Perhaps their openly lesbian pastor should write the Bible curriculum for Oklahoma. Even though I'm a grateful atheist member of an AA fellowship perhaps I could take a stab at it. I did have plenty of religious instruction as a youth having grown up in a Southern Baptist church while attending Episcopal (uber rich WASP) elementary and Catholic high schools. I know the social justice doctrine and comparative religion studies that were central to the Catholic education would not be popular with the right wing Christianists behind these public 10C and Bible mandates. It would be a best case scenario for someone to write Bible based curricula that piss off the likes of Ryan Walters; this with the hope that they try to become the arbiters of True Religion and get some good old sectarian hackles raised.

Can we teach Numbers 5 - the instructions on performing an abortion? Or what happened to Lot after Sodom?

Yeah, Numbers 5:11-31 clearly depicts God performing an abortion VIA a curse. Christians reinterpret the Bible to fit their beliefs, rather than strictly adhering to its text

He many Christians could even name the books of the Bible let alone know what is in one of them called “Numbers”??

Much more likely they can name all of Santa’s reindeers.

He many Christians could even name the books of the Bible let alone know what is in one of them called “Numbers”??

They know 2 Corinthians and Olive, the Other Reindeer.

Parts of the Bible the Christians ignore.

Mark 10:21
21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go
thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure
in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Luke 12:32-33
32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure
in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

Luke 18:22
22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing:
sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure
in heaven: and come, follow me.

Matthew 19:19-20
19 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth
up: what lack I yet?
20 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast,
and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Jesus commands this. The Bible proves it. That settles it.

Yeah, Numbers 5:11-31 clearly depicts God performing an abortion VIA a curse. Christians reinterpret the Bible to fit their beliefs, rather than strictly adhering to its text
You are assuming facts not in evidence; i.e., that Christians read the Bible.
If people read their bibles there would be less believers and less bible worship.

It's funny you mentioned this because I just asked my wife about Numbers 5:11-31. She said, "God didn't perform an abortion; the wife wasn't pregnant. The curse for infidelity was to make her unable to have a child." I replied, "Well, now you're talking about birth control, and you don't agree with that either."

She hung up. :giggle:

It's funny you mentioned this because I just asked my wife about Numbers 5:11-31. She said, "God didn't perform an abortion; the wife wasn't pregnant. The curse for infidelity was to make her unable to have a child." I replied, "Well, now you're talking about birth control, and you don't agree with that either."

She hung up. :giggle:
Yo sure she has the right interpretation?

If she has made herself impure and been unfaithful to her husband, this will be the result: When she is made to drink the water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering, it will enter her, her abdomen will swell and her womb will miscarry, and she will become a curse. 28 If, however, the woman has not made herself impure, but is clean, she will be cleared of guilt and will be able to have children.
(emphasis mine)

Sounds to me like if she is pregnant with another man’s child she will miscarry it (abortion).

I had to memorize the books in order in grade school. I promptly forgot them afterwards.

If people read their bibles there would be less believers and less bible worship.
That worked for me and we were forced to read the Bible, even the most disgusting parts of the OT. When my father was in a bad mood, he would say, "Girls, go get your Bibles", Then he would read us one of the horrible stories in the OT while we sat fearfully around the dining room table. One of my sisters is still a Christian, but I think her beliefs are a bit more moderate than the conservative version we were taught to believe as children. Plus, I personally think she only believes for the sense of community it gives her. She doesn't even attend the Sunday service, but she does attend the senior groups, and little Bible studies and things like that. My nutty, mean sister who died last year adopted some sort of paganish beliefs, but she was sure she would meet all her dead dogs in heaven. Crazy belief, but less harmful than thinking people who don't believe like you are going to burn in hell. Heaven would be hell without our pets, so I get why she liked the idea of reuniting with her dogs.

I grew up when Bible reading and prayer were mandatory in public schools, even in NJ. Even my Bible thumping mom seemed relieved when that was ended as she was a conservative Baptist and in the good old days, Baptists proudly supported the SCS.

Parts of the Bible the Christians ignore.
I'll add modern-English translations. The writers of the Bible didn't speak King James English, despite what some people seem to believe. I'll add the New International Version, the New English Translation, and the 1995 edition of the New American Standard Bible, both at biblegateway.com
Mark 10:21
21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go
thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure
in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

21 As Jesus looked at him, he felt love for him and said, “You lack one thing. Go, sell whatever you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

21 Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
Luke 12:32-33
32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure
in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father is well pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide yourselves purses that do not wear out—a treasure in heaven that never decreases, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.

32 Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom. 33 “Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys.
Luke 18:22
22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing:
sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure
in heaven: and come, follow me.
22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When Jesus heard this, He said to him, “One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
Matthew 19:19-20
19 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
20 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast,
and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

20 The young man said to him, “I have wholeheartedly obeyed all these laws. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure[aa] in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

20 The young man *said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

One especially contentious part of the familiar 10 Commandments is Exodus 20:13: is it "murder" or "kill"?

Strong's Hebrew: 7523. רָצַח (ratsach) -- to murder, slay
H7523 - rāṣaḥ - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (kjv)
"Murder" seems to be the primary sense of the world, deliberate and illegitimate killing of another human being.

So it's most literally "you (sg.) shall not murder" and most translations over the last century indeed use "murder". The King James Version, however, uses "kill" instead of "murder", a much more general word. So it ought to have had "thou shalt not murder".

"Thou"? That's the original English second person singular pronoun, but it dropped out of the language after the publication of the KJV. One can also find it in the works of contemporaries, like William Shakespeare. All the more recent translations use "you".

One especially contentious part of the familiar 10 Commandments is Exodus 20:13: is it "murder" or "kill"?

Strong's Hebrew: 7523. רָצַח (ratsach) -- to murder, slay
H7523 - rāṣaḥ - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (kjv)
"Murder" seems to be the primary sense of the world, deliberate and illegitimate killing of another human being.

So it's most literally "you (sg.) shall not murder" and most translations over the last century indeed use "murder". The King James Version, however, uses "kill" instead of "murder", a much more general word. So it ought to have had "thou shalt not murder".

"Thou"? That's the original English second person singular pronoun, but it dropped out of the language after the publication of the KJV. One can also find it in the works of contemporaries, like William Shakespeare. All the more recent translations use "you".
They do, although this erases the implications of some important biblical passages. It is always harder to achieve translation into a more linguistically removed tongue. Romance language translations of the Bible are sometimes more accurate for this reason, being at least slightly more inflected than English. Armenian for the New Testament, or Arabic for the HS? Even better. Modern English simply lacks many of the linguistic features of the heavily inflected Greek and Hebrew languages, forcing the translator to throw in dozens of "helper words" and historically agreed upon glosses over even rather simple passages, rendering a connotatively correct word-for-word translation flatly impossible. Even if we posssed an uncontroversial autograph for each of the Biblical works, and even if we all agreed which should be canonized, in trying to remove it into English (or Dutch, or Swahili) without some loss of information, Biblical literalists would still pursue a delusion.

Back
Top Bottom