• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Louisiana mandates 10 Commandments In Schools

Basically, written Hebrew was not invented until 1000 BCE. And was pretty crude for another two centuries, not really good for complex documents like the Torah. At the time of Moses, if anybody wrote anything, it would have been cuneiform or Egyptian demotic script. Early Israelites would not have had easy access to papyrus anyway. For two centuries after Merneptah's raid on the Nine Bows, proto-Israel was confined to its hilltop farms. Not a single letter of written material has ever been found in any of these. Not so much as a single ostracon or inscription. These people were illiterate.

Basically, written Hebrew was not invented until 1000 BCE. And was pretty crude for another two centuries, not really good for complex documents like the Torah. At the time of Moses, if anybody wrote anything, it would have been cuneiform or Egyptian demotic script. Early Israelites would not have had easy access to papyrus anyway. For two centuries after Merneptah's raid on the Nine Bows, proto-Israel was confined to its hilltop farms. Not a single letter of written material has ever been found in any of these. Not so much as a single ostracon or inscription. These people were illiterate.
An excellent point.

And very suspicious of the written word once it arrived, for a long time afterward. As were many ancient peoples.

ohh back to the thread, Louisiana's 10C law is an unfunded mandate that sponsors claim "should be supported by unspecified donations." oh what a mess.

ohh back to the thread, Louisiana's 10C law is an unfunded mandate that sponsors claim "should be supported by unspecified donations." oh what a mess.

Paid for by local churches, in other words. Only they won't actually want to cough up $10,000, so it'll really just be the schools themselves, one more slice out of their nonexistent budgets.

Superintendent Ryan Walters just appeared on Faux Noise. He approves the far right pipe dream of eliminating the Department Of Education. Tea party extremists have been huffing and puffing to do that for years. Trumpo the Clown wants to also. Oklahoma gets $800 million from DoE yearly. 10% of Oklahoma's education budget. He is not exactly a deep thinker. Most red states would see their education systems collapse when the DoE money spigot gets shut off.

I resurrected an old Twitter (now X) account and have been educating Walters for two days now. He has so far not bothered to answer me. Nor have any of his ardent followers.

Oklahoma now ranks 50th in education. Right winged Republicans have been running education in Oklahoma for years.

Superintendent Ryan Walters just appeared on Faux Noise. He approves the far right pipe dream of eliminating the Department Of Education. Tea party extremists have been huffing and puffing to do that for years. Trumpo the Clown wants to also. Oklahoma gets $800 million from DoE yearly. 10% of Oklahoma's education budget. He is not exactly a deep thinker. Most red states would see their education systems collapse when the DoE money spigot gets shut off.

I resurrected an old Twitter (now X) account and have been educating Walters for two days now. He has so far not bothered to answer me. Nor have any of his ardent followers.

Oklahoma now ranks 50th in education. Right winged Republicans have been running education in Oklahoma for years.

Isn't that called the Mushroom system of education? Keep them in the dark and feed them shit. Sure seems to be working for right wingers.

The new law is already being challenged in court as an unconstitutional violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

“We’re suing Louisiana for requiring all public schools to display the Ten Commandments in every classroom,” the American Civil Liberties Union announced on Wednesday. “Public schools are not Sunday schools.”

During Thursday’s edition of Outnumbered on Fox News, Marshall objected to the law, noting that Louisiana’s legislators should be focusing their efforts elsewhere.

“Louisiana’s 49th in education,” she declared. “We have 50 states. They are one from being the bottom in education. One. Two, [Louisiana has] one of the highest teen pregnancy rates. Three, school lunch programs – are we feeding the children? So, as a former Christian, one of the things that I would like to see, the Jesus that I know in the Bible… I think he would care more if we really cared about the children.”
Strive for 50! Gotta have peons!

Among the Catholics I know, the main focus is to cover the “went to mass” square on their bingo card. They seem to lack the motivation to think about what they’re being fed.
That's what most religion is. Trying to use cheat codes to get to heaven.

Turning to three more of the 10C's,

Exodus 20:7
KJV: Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
"Take in vain" is not very obvious to Modern-English speakers, and some translations instead use "misuse"or something similar:
NIV: You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.
NRSV: You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.
GNT: Do not use my name for evil purposes, for I, the LORD your God, will punish anyone who misuses my name.

Exodus 20:16
KJV: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
"False witness" is also not very obvious to Modern-English speakers, and some translations instead use "false testimony":
NASB, NIV: You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

Exodus 20:17
KJV: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
Most translations use "covet" while some use "desire", which is clearer to Modern English speakers.

Returning to The Real Ten Commandments » Internet Infidels, Richard Carrier has
1. Have no other gods before me [the God of the Hebrews].
2. Make no images of anything in heaven, earth or the sea, and do not worship or labor for them.
3. Do not vainly use the name of your God [the God of the Hebrews].
4. Do no work on the seventh day of the week.
5. Honor your parents.
6. Do not kill.
7. Do not commit adultery.
8. Do not steal.
9. Do not give false testimony against another.
10. Do not desire another’s wife or anything that belongs to another.
Some of it seems to follow the King James translation too closely, like "kill" instead of "murder" and "vainly" instead of something like "misuse". But it has "desire" stead of "covet" and "testimony" instead of "witness", which are good.

If I returned to teaching -- a pox on the thought -- and had, say, a fifth grade class in Huey Long Elementary, I think I'd start the day by pointing to our Ten Commandments poster and saying, "Class, first, we'll read these together so that you understand each one. Then, your assignment will be to write 10 more commandments, and your list will be the ones you think God forgot to say."
That would be the morning of the day I was fired, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom