• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McCarthey out as Speaker of the House - Bozo the clown on deck

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
McCarthey lost his speakership with all the Democrats voting with 8 Republicans to oust him. I cannot imagine any sane person stepping up to take that job without some real protection.

McCarthey lost his speakership with all the Democrats voting with 8 Republicans to oust him. I cannot imagine any sane person stepping up to take that job without some real protection.

Gaetz argued to oust McCarthy on the grounds that he couldn't keep the government open without the support of Democrats and that he couldn't keep the speakership without the support of Democrats. Then Gaetz ousted his own speaker, but only because he had the support of Democrats. There seems to be a pattern here. If Republicans want to get anything done, even the self-destructive nihilistic things, they need the support of Democrats.

I'm still giggling at AOC and Gaetz coming to agreement on something like this.

Tom

Gaetz argued to oust McCarthy on the grounds that he couldn't keep the government open without the support of Democrats and that he couldn't keep the speakership without the support of Democrats. Then Gaetz ousted his own speaker, but only because he had the support of Democrats. There seems to be a pattern here. If Republicans want to get anything done, even the self-destructive nihilistic things, they need the support of Democrats.
Question is, what's the next move? If Gaetz and the Loony Bin Caucus think that 40 days from now they're going to get traction from the Democrats on a even more extreme level of cuts to keep the government open, they have to know that's a non-starter.

Are they actually hoping for a government shut-down? If they are, will the Republicans who joined the Democrats to oust McCarthy play ball, joining the crazies in tanking the government indefinitely until they get everything they want? I'm fully expecting the far right to put up Gaetz, or Marjorie Trailer Queen, or Little Miss Handjob as a candidate for Speaker, and it's unlikely they'll get one seated if that's their play. They want to "burn it all down," but will the rest of the GOP caucus go along with that?

None of the far right whackos have a prayer of being elected. I’ve been reading that McCarthy may run again, and may be the only person with a chance of being elected in the short term.

"I look forward to more American legislators in this news cycle declaring how dysfunctional and suspect Ukraine’s government is."
-some guy on Xitter
Tom

Question is, what's the next move? If Gaetz and the Loony Bin Caucus think that 40 days from now they're going to get traction from the Democrats on a even more extreme level of cuts to keep the government open, they have to know that's a non-starter.

Are they actually hoping for a government shut-down? If they are, will the Republicans who joined the Democrats to oust McCarthy play ball, joining the crazies in tanking the government indefinitely until they get everything they want? I'm fully expecting the far right to put up Gaetz, or Marjorie Trailer Queen, or Little Miss Handjob as a candidate for Speaker, and it's unlikely they'll get one seated if that's their play. They want to "burn it all down," but will the rest of the GOP caucus go along with that?
The ones not in the safest of districts will. Though he speaks not from the Oval Office but the defendants table, the Orange Manalishi's voice still carries.

This is somewhat scary. What if they elect someone even worse than McCarthy?

they have to know that's a non-starter.
They WANT the government to shut down. Trump needs a lot of dysfunction to "save" us from.
If Republicans want to get anything done, even the self-destructive nihilistic things, they need the support of Democrats.
Big "if".
Hand Ukraine to Putin, the Whitehouse to Trump and their futures are secure. Best way? Shut down the Government.

Kev sez "no mas!"
Won't run for speaker again. Mainstream GOP freaking out.

Jordan or McCarthy. McCarthy sucks so it can't get much worse. The worse part is if they can't get anyone into the chair.

The worse part is if they can't get anyone into the chair.

The last three GOP speakers have left or been forced out because of discord, to use a tactful term, among the GOP.

How long did Paul Ryan last? He just threw up his hands and said this job is impossible, I'm leaving.

Really, what sane person would want the abuse?

Kev sez "no mas!"

Do you believe that he has finally taken a stand that he won't back down from? He said he would not run, not that he wouldn't allow himself to be drafted. I still think he's the best bet to be chained back down in the Speaker's seat after making a bunch of promises that he may or may not keep, depending on who is using him for a punching bag. They may agree to pull their punches for a while, but McCarthy is the only one who seems craven enough to allow himself to be bullied by the MAGA crowd. He prefers being whipped mercilessly by them rather than work with Democrats, and that is why the dems voted to vacate the chair. He just needs a few of the 8 MAGA holdouts to agree to give him back his precious chair.

Someone like Gaetz may suggest a non-member of the House. Apparently, this is legal. Someone like Gingrich or Trump could manage them as a cult leader.

Jim Jordan would be another terrible choice.

Kev sez "no mas!"

Do you believe that he has finally taken a stand that he won't back down from? He said he would not run, not that he wouldn't allow himself to be drafted. I still think he's the best bet to be chained back down in the Speaker's seat after making a bunch of promises that he may or may not keep, depending on who is using him for a punching bag. They may agree to pull their punches for a while, but McCarthy is the only one who seems craven enough to allow himself to be bullied by the MAGA crowd. He prefers being whipped mercilessly by them rather than work with Democrats, and that is why the dems voted to vacate the chair. He just needs a few of the 8 MAGA holdouts to agree to give him back his precious chair.
I’d bet on Kev taking a cushy private sector job next cycle.

Man, this takes some real cognitive dissonance;

View attachment 44357
I know...right?

The Republican Party used to close ranks and vote as a unit. That was the "secret sauce" they employed for most of the last 3 decades. Newt Gingrich (to a certain degree) created the "pick a lane and march in lockstep" strategy. It worked (for the most part) because they all agreed. "This is what we're doing, and keep in mind Reagan's 11th Commandment."

In a very real sense, their own policy was their undoing. Trump managed to secure the nomination and they all marched in lockstep behind him in 2016. But he was never on board with their secret sauce, because he was always in it for himself. After a couple of losses, the more level-headed folks in the once-grand old party realized what was wrong, but were powerless to stop it. Fragilego Mussolini had fractured the party and elevated the "Make Anarchy Great Again" side onto an equal footing with the "we used to be the Party of Reagan" camp. They're not marching in lockstep. They're fighting amongst each other, and Fraudy McFraudface is soaking up the shitshow for his own entertainment.

If the "Radical Left Democrats" were a little more disciplined they'd be able to take advantage of this, but they're still (as always) herding cats.

Man, this takes some real cognitive dissonance;

View attachment 44357
I know...right?

The Republican Party used to close ranks and vote as a unit. That was the "secret sauce" they employed for most of the last 3 decades. Newt Gingrich (to a certain degree) created the "pick a lane and march in lockstep" strategy. It worked (for the most part) because they all agreed. "This is what we're doing, and keep in mind Reagan's 11th Commandment."

In a very real sense, their own policy was their undoing. Trump managed to secure the nomination and they all marched in lockstep behind him in 2016. But he was never on board with their secret sauce, because he was always in it for himself. After a couple of losses, the more level-headed folks in the once-grand old party realized what was wrong, but were powerless to stop it. Fragilego Mussolini had fractured the party and elevated the "Make Anarchy Great Again" side onto an equal footing with the "we used to be the Party of Reagan" camp. They're not marching in lockstep. They're fighting amongst each other, and Fraudy McFraudface is soaking up the shitshow for his own entertainment.

If the "Radical Left Democrats" were a little more disciplined they'd be able to take advantage of this, but they're still (as always) herding cats.
I dunno. They got rid of McCarthy…

Back
Top Bottom