• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McCarthey out as Speaker of the House - Bozo the clown on deck

The GOP has a majority in the house, but 6 Representitives who switched from Republican to Democratic would hand control of the house to the Democrats. Who might do that? Members of the moderate Republican "Problem Solvers Caucus". Blackmail. "If the GOP is run by extremists, the GOP will lose big in 2024. We need moderate Republicans who can work with Democrats, or lose all to Democrats. Support our candidate for speaker and moderate programs or we will switch to the Democratic party."

We, I can dream.
They're too far out of touch with reality for this to work.

McCarthey lost his speakership with all the Democrats voting with 8 Republicans to oust him. I cannot imagine any sane person stepping up to take that job without some real protection.
Bozo the Clown?

I think Dems made a tactical mistake here. They should have made KMcC keep his job by their graces. That way, they would have more leverage when the temporary funding extension expires in 45 days.

This way, there will be either no actual speaker elected by then, or it will be somebody more beholden to Gaetz et al than KMcC was.

I'm sorry, but the idea that Dems had a role in saving McCarthy's ass is idiotic. The majority party has the responsibility for picking a speaker. McCarthy did nothing that the worst MAGA Republican would not have done. McCarthy had the option of going to Democrats and trying to craft a deal for them to help him keep his speakership, but he rejected that option. So there was no incentive for any Democrat to keep him in that seat. Let the Republicans find their own speaker or seek a deal with Democrats to put some kind of bipartisan speaker in place.

Right now, the MAGA idiots who engineered McCarthy's demise are considering Donald Trump for the position, and Trump has said he was open to it (although that doesn't mean that he was really open to it). I think that it might be useful to have Trump in that role to remind the public of how bad things can be with such an incompetent in public office. That might just end the man's presidential campaign once and for all, because Trump is utterly incapable of running the dysfunctional Republican House of Representatives. It's hard to believe that House Republicans would be stupid enough to put Trump into that role, but, hey, these are Republicans. You can't count on them avoiding the stupid.

Calls mount for 'House Speaker Donald Trump,' as lawmaker claims he can best 'unite' GOP

McCarthey lost his speakership with all the Democrats voting with 8 Republicans to oust him. I cannot imagine any sane person stepping up to take that job without some real protection.
Bozo the Clown?

I think Dems made a tactical mistake here. They should have made KMcC keep his job by their graces. That way, they would have more leverage when the temporary funding extension expires in 45 days.

This way, there will be either no actual speaker elected by then, or it will be somebody more beholden to Gaetz et al than KMcC was.

I'm sorry, but the idea that Dems had a role in saving McCarthy's ass is idiotic. The majority party has the responsibility for picking a speaker. McCarthy did nothing that the worst MAGA Republican would not have done. McCarthy had the option of going to Democrats and trying to craft a deal for them to help him keep his speakership, but he rejected that option. So there was no incentive for any Democrat to keep him in that seat. Let the Republicans find their own speaker or seek a deal with Democrats to put some kind of bipartisan speaker in place.

Right now, the MAGA idiots who engineered McCarthy's demise are considering Donald Trump for the position, and Trump has said he was open to it (although that doesn't mean that he was really open to it). I think that it might be useful to have Trump in that role to remind the public of how bad things can be with such an incompetent in public office. That might just end the man's presidential campaign once and for all, because Trump is utterly incapable of running the dysfunctional Republican House of Representatives. It's hard to believe that House Republicans would be stupid enough to put Trump into that role, but, hey, these are Republicans. You can't count on them avoiding the stupid.

Calls mount for 'House Speaker Donald Trump,' as lawmaker claims he can best 'unite' GOP

I remember as a kid reading a book about a rabbit and a briar patch.

I know Republicans hate books and love burning them so...fingers crossed?

Interim speaker McHenry orders Pelosi, Hoyer to vacate Capitol offices
Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and former Democratic Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) were ordered to move out of their hideaway offices in the Capitol on Tuesday.

Why it matters: Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) gave the order after he became speaker pro tempore Tuesday. Pelosi blasted it as a "sharp departure from tradition.
AOC recently Instagrammed about that eviction, saying that it was it was bad political strategy. The Republicans will need Democrats' votes for doing things like making ousting the Speaker more difficult, and doing things that alienate the D's won't help. Things like breaking the debt-limit deal of a few months ago, starting an impeachment inquiry about President Biden, blaming the D's for almost causing a gov't shutdown, complaining that the D's didn't bail out KMC, and now kicking some D leaders out of some offices.

Rachael Bade on X: "Wow — Kevin McCarthy just said Pelosi told him during his marathon speakership campaign that she would have his back if the motion to vacate came up" / X
then
Les Breeding on X: "@rachaelmbade And then McCarthy single handedly instituted an impeachment inquiry against Pres. Biden. No Democrat was going to help McCarthy after that." / X

Benjy Sarlin on X: ""I think today was a political decision by the Democrats," McCarthy said, blaming other side for not propping up his speakership on behalf of "the institution"" / X

🌺🗽⚜️Defend Democracy⚜️🌺🗽 on X: "@BenjySarlin Check notes: Speaker Pelosi is tending to her deceased friends funeral and wasn’t present to save McCarthy.
Reporters hint: ask GOP why they ousted their speaker? Seems pertinent to ask Gaetz or other MAGA insurrectionists." / X

Michele says …..💙💙🌊🌊 on X: "@Kimmi1965 @BenjySarlin Pelosi wasn’t even there. McCarthy would have had a majority of Democratic votes if he hadn’t gone on TV over the weekend saying the Democratic Party was the one who almost caused the shutdown. Democrats votes kept us from a shutdown & he knows it.
He cut off his own nose." / X

I'm sorry, but the idea that Dems had a role in saving McCarthy's ass is idiotic. The majority party has the responsibility for picking a speaker.
Sorry, but that's just wrong. The entire House votes on the Speaker, not just the majority caucus. That makes it the responsibility of the entire House. That it is not this in practice is a sign of dysfunction, not how things should be.
I wish we had some a decent number of representatives from other parties in Congress (although we would need either a regional party or proportional representation for that) so that no single party has an outright majority hardly ever and Speaker is more than just a glorified party caucus leader.
McCarthy did nothing that the worst MAGA Republican would not have done.
That is demonstrably untrue, as otherwise he would not have advanced the motion to vacate.
Let the Republicans find their own speaker or seek a deal with Democrats to put some kind of bipartisan speaker in place.
I am for that second option. But I doubt Dems these days are very conciliatory.
Right now, the MAGA idiots who engineered McCarthy's demise are considering Donald Trump for the position, and Trump has said he was open to it (although that doesn't mean that he was really open to it). I think that it might be useful to have Trump in that role to remind the public of how bad things can be with such an incompetent in public office.
That would put Trump two heartbeats away from the presidency. Is that something you would want to risk?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "1. Does anyone believe ..." / X
1. Does anyone believe for one minute that McCarthy would help elect a Dem speaker “for the institution”?

2. McCarthy’s hubris is a theme. He loudly stated he wouldn’t negotiate w/Dems, called virtually none, trashed those who helped w/CR, and then expected Dem votes for free?

If McCarthy cared so much for the institution, he wouldn’t have opened a baseless impeachment w/o a House vote (as he promised &broke)

If he cared for the institution, he wouldn’t have voted to overturn election results.

He would’ve honored his debt limit deal w/ the President.

One would think after years of striving, McCarthy would have studied lessons left by predecessors Boehner and Ryan, who also fell at their destructive wing.

It was McCarthy’s choice to empower them further. He protected them & punished those who bucked Trump. He’s not a victim.

AOC recently gave her thoughts on this ouster in this Instagram video: For the 1st time in US history, the Speaker of the House has been removed (and by his own party, no less). How did this happen and what does that mean? | Instagram
Armand Domalewski on X: "AOC explains ..." / X
AOC explains just how badly Kevin McCarthy screwed himself

1: Congress was supposed to be on recess this week. He called them back for unclear reasons.

2: If a motion to vacate the chair is launched, the Speaker has 48 hours to shore up his support before the vote. He waived it!

3: McCarthy recently got a clean CR through with more Democratic votes than GOP votes but then immediately went on TV to bash Democrats for “trying to shut down the government.” He then seemed to expect Democrats to bail him out.

4: McCarthy also did not offer anything for Democrats to bail him out.

A guy who has stabbed everybody in the DC in the back multiple times somehow expected people to have his back in exchange for…nothing

Jake Sherman on X: "NEWS …" / X
NEWS — HOUSE REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP has kicked @RepStenyHoyer out of his Capitol hideaway.

Republicans — McCarthy — are taking revenge for Democrats voting with @mattgaetz to boot @SpeakerMcCarthy from the speakership.

Expect more of this, GOP sources tell us.

Me and @bresreports

Our friends @DaniellaMicaela and @nicholaswu12 scooped yesterday that leadership booted Pelosi from her hideaway
So the R's won't stop at Nancy Pelosi and Steny Hoyer. Who might be next?

What's a "hideaway"?
Jeff Wang on X: "@RetailRipping @JakeSherman @DaniellaMicaela @nicholaswu12 They're small offices ..." / X
They're small offices near the chamber for leaders/former leaders to work on bills, cajole members, etc. It's not their main office.

Former leaders are typically allowed to keep their hideaways as a courtesy. The GOP is apparently done with being civil (if they ever were.)
Fortunately, the main offices of NP and SH won't be affected.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "Two things about this: ..." / X
Two things about this:

1. How inexperienced and entitled are GOP that they expected Dems to help without even asking them?

2. Not a good idea to go this scorched earth when your margin is this slim & you’ve got a year+ left. They will likely need Dems again and this won’t help.

They should crack open a game theory book instead of impulsively exacting revenge on very influential people who will help decide if, when, and how Dems help GOP in the future.

McCarthy may have left, but another speaker will come. This further hamstrings them before they start.
Game theory = mathematics of strategies

Tit for tat - a simple but very effective strategy: first cooperate, then repeat the other player's previous move -- a simple but very effective strategy

Jake Sherman on X: "whether you think it's right or wrong, Republicans are going to exact revenge for a long while over the MTV vote. yes, it was an internal party squabble. but the GOP thinks Dems shouldn't have sided w Gaetz.
remember: the majority controls the Capitol. Rooms, codels, etc." / X

Revenge? Like causing a gov't shutdown when this continuing resolution expires?

Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "Reminder that a major reason McCarthy lost his speakership and didn’t get any help in the first place is because of his unwillingness to cooperate, pettiness, and publicly insulting Dems when they did help him out.
So of course they’re going to repeat that winning strategy 🥉" / X

Hakeem Jeffries on X: "My statement in the aftermath of the Motion to Vacate the Chair. (pic link)" / X
This is a solemn moment for the country and for the House of Representatives. The Constitution gifted us a government of the people, by the people and for the people. House Democrats will continue to put people over politics and work together in a bipartisan way to make life better for everyday Americans. It is our hope that traditional Republicans will walk away from MAGA extremism and join us in partnership for the good of the country.
Then Mike Lawler, R-NY-17,
Mike Lawler on X: "People over politics? Get real. You aligned yourself with Matt Gaetz to upend the institution and seek political gain in the process. You could have put the country first by refusing to partake in this fraud." / X
Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "Nice story. ..." / X
Nice story.

You could also do the right thing, Lawler. Your district voted for Biden by 10 pts. You could end this by representing and voting for Jeffries.

A lot easier for you to vote your district than expecting me to vote for a man who wants to take my right to choose away.

A deputy, an insider or Trump? The race for US House Speaker - BBC News
Jim Jordan and Steve Scalise have become the first two Republicans to join the race to replace Kevin McCarthy, who was voted out as Speaker in an unprecedented move on Tuesday.

Other Republicans are also rumoured to be mounting a bid, and some have even floated Donald Trump as an option.
Scalise, Jordan running for speaker, but may get company - Roll Call
Maryland Rep. Andy Harris said on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, that he thought Florida Rep. Byron Donalds should be considered. Texas Rep. Troy Nehls has called for former President Donald Trump to take the role. The Constitution does not require the speaker to be a sitting House member, though it always has been.

Donald Trump has this very important endorsement:
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "The only candidate ..." / X
The only candidate for Speaker I am currently supporting is President Donald J. Trump.

He will end the war in Ukraine.

He will secure the border.

He will end the politically weaponized government.

He will make America energy independent again.

He will pass my bill to stop transgender surgeries on kids and keep men out of women’s sports.

He will support our military and police.

And so much more!

He has a proven 4 year record as President of the United States of America.

He received a record number of Republican votes of any Republican Presidential candidate!

We can make him Speaker and then elect him President!

KUOW - 'Pigsty of incompetence.' Washington's Congress members comment after McCarthy is ousted from speaker role

Noting
Pramila Jayapal on X: "Let me be abundantly clear: We are not voting in any way that would help save Speaker McCarthy. (vid link)" / X
PJ: "There is reason after reason to let Republicans deal with their own problem. I mean, let them wallow in their pigsty of incompetence and inability to govern. They are destroying our institutions."

When asked if that meant doing things like voting present, she responded "We are not voting in any way that would help save Speaker McCarthy."

Rep. Pramila Jayapal on X: "The dysfunction ..." / X
The dysfunction we are seeing right now on the Republican side of the aisle in the House is not something I take any joy in. The American people deserve a government that is able to smoothly and competently operate, and this GOP majority is not capable of that task.

The responsibility of Democrats in Congress is to elect a Democrat to govern, and our Speaker is Hakeem Jeffries. We are ready to legislate and get to work for the American people.

On the other hand, Republicans have shown over and over again that they are a party that does extreme harm to the institutions and the people of our nation. In eight months of GOP control, they have destroyed our institutions and taken us to the brink of chaos.

Kevin McCarthy is not trustworthy. This is a man who almost drove our country to default and then broke his debt ceiling deal with @POTUS. He said that Trump “bears responsibility” for January 6 but then walked it back to stay in Trump’s good graces.

He and his party have supported and enabled the insurrectionist former president and continued to prove they are not capable of or willing to do the work necessary to move this country forward.

Democrats, however, will always be ready to govern.

Former Rep. Justin Amash:
Kevin McCarthy was by far the worst leader l served with in the Republican conference. Unprincipled, incompetent, duplicitous, vindictive, and entirely transactional.

Instead of simply committing to and following through on maintaining an open and deliberative process in the House, he promised conservatives substantive victories he knew he'd never deliver. All he cared about was getting the gavel.

As I've said before: The House needs to follow its rules and allow the genuine participation of every representative. This means starting early on major legislation and working through it in committees and on the floor. Any speaker who doesn't run the House this way is perpetuating oligarchy, dysfunction, and hyperpartisanship.

Sorry, but that's just wrong. The entire House votes on the Speaker, not just the majority caucus. That makes it the responsibility of the entire House.
That is bullshit semantics in an attempt to ignore context and current affairs.
That it is not this in practice is a sign of dysfunction
"Things aren't the way they oughta be" is about as trite and arrogant as one can get when it comes to opining about governing. It's a weak way of saying "I know better than you because reasons so shut the fuck up".

I think the Dems missed a trick and they should of sidelined the 8 by keeping McCArthy in the speaker role. It would of been a good bipartisan approach that focused on making sure governing is the priority.

I think the Dems missed a trick and they should of sidelined the 8 by keeping McCArthy in the speaker role. It would of been a good bipartisan approach that focused on making sure governing is the priority.
I think the Dems didn't do that because in their view McCarthy's past behavior (reneging on deals he'd agreed to) proves beyond reasonable doubt that he does not consider governing to be a priority.

(And as an indicted felon subject to a jail term longer than two years Trump isn't eligible according to the rules of the House adopted shortly after ex-Speaker McCarthy was installed to begin with...)

I think the Dems didn't do that because in their view McCarthy's past behavior (reneging on deals he'd agreed to) proves beyond reasonable doubt that he does not consider governing to be a priority.

(And as an indicted felon subject to a jail term longer than two years Trump isn't eligible according to the rules of the House adopted shortly after ex-Speaker McCarthy was installed to begin with...)
I think his past behavior has been driven by that 8. Removing their influence should be a priority and then could of helped.

Bipartisanship is a two way street. McCarthy reneged on his deal with the White House. He pissed on the Dems after they helped him keep government open with a clean bill. McCarthy is a jackals, ruled like he had a massive mandate, and his being speaker was of no benefit to the Democrats or the American public He let his ambition create this inevitable downfall in the beginning.

I suppose the interesting thing about Trump as Speaker is he needs to actually work or be present.

Back
Top Bottom