• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McCarthey out as Speaker of the House - Bozo the clown on deck

From CNN host Abby Phillip, a brief history of the past 5 GOP Speakers:

McCarthy, ousted. Paul Ryan, quit in disgust over his right flank. John Boehner, pushed out by the Freedom Caucus. Dennis Hastert, spent time in prison after admitting sexual abuse. And the hyper-partisan Newt Gingrich, who faced ethical complaints, resigned before his own caucus staged a rebellion.
Quite the illustrious group!

I think the Dems missed a trick and they should of sidelined the 8 by keeping McCArthy in the speaker role. It would of been a good bipartisan approach that focused on making sure governing is the priority.
I think the Dems didn't do that because in their view McCarthy's past behavior (reneging on deals he'd agreed to) proves beyond reasonable doubt that he does not consider governing to be a priority.

(And as an indicted felon subject to a jail term longer than two years Trump isn't eligible according to the rules of the House adopted shortly after ex-Speaker McCarthy was installed to begin with...)
I think his past behavior has been driven by that 8. Removing their influence should be a priority and then could of helped.
The problem with this is that McCarthy isn't working in good faith period. It isn't as if he is that much less conservative than Gaetz et al. They are all highly partisan, taking from the Gingrich school of destroy the Democrats at all costs (remember when Clinton was attacked by Republicans for attempting to kill Osama bin Laden?). The difference between McCarthy and Gaetz is Gaetz will do anything for headlines and money to get a Governorship run going, and he has no interest in actually managing the GOP in the House... a Boris Johnson of the GOP. Where as McCarthy was at least in charge and would be a fall guy if the government did close.

From CNN host Abby Phillip, a brief history of the past 5 GOP Speakers:

McCarthy, ousted. Paul Ryan, quit in disgust over his right flank. John Boehner, pushed out by the Freedom Caucus. Dennis Hastert, spent time in prison after admitting sexual abuse. And the hyper-partisan Newt Gingrich, who faced ethical complaints, resigned before his own caucus staged a rebellion.
Quite the illustrious group!
And close to six, because Livingstone who was a very possible replacement for Gingrich was sticking his dick into several wrong vaginas, and he resigned. The GOP is more hollow than a cheap chocolate Easter Bunny.

This sums it up.

Hard_right_cartoon.jpg

I didn't know this part....

The Unlamented Former Speaker

It’s not exactly a surprise that Kevin McCarthy is no longer Speaker of the House, probably most of all to McCarthy himself. As a condition of his ascendance into that position, which took fifteen rounds of rather embarrassing haggling, he had to agree that a motion to vacate the position (i.e., his ability to get fired from the job) could be initiated by a single representative — and then it was, by Matt Gaetz, who was, as I understand it, one of those who demanded that condition in the first place. You can’t hand a dagger to a known and enthusiastic stabber and say “you can cut me any time you like,” and then be surprised when he, in fact, stabs you at his convenience.

Which makes the whole, "Democrats should have bailed him out in exchange for something" argument even more odd.

I wish we had some a decent number of representatives from other parties in Congress (although we would need either a regional party or proportional representation for that) so that no single party has an outright majority hardly ever and Speaker is more than just a glorified party caucus leader.

Derec, we ALREADY HAVE THAT, don’t we?

These other parties make their alignments prior to the elections, but they very definitely exist. We call them “caucuses”

There’s the Freedom Caucus party,
There’s the Progressive caucus party
There’s the independent Party
There’s the problem solvers party, half of whome align with each of the major parties.

In short, we already have this. And it is manifesting as chaos right at this moment because the two biggest Republican-Aligned parties are no longer a coalition.

The way things work is exactly the same as if those sub-parties existed separately and made a coalition government agreement.

We’ve got that.

But I doubt Dems these days are very conciliatory.
They are more conciliatory than current GOP in the House merits. After all, they are the one that provided the votes to keep the Federal gov't from shutting down despite the GOP's efforts.

they are the one that provided the votes to keep the Federal gov't from shutting down despite the GOP's efforts.

Don’t fret; the freedumb cuckus will have another go at a shutdown in few weeks.

You can’t hand a dagger to a known and enthusiastic stabber and say “you can cut me any time you like,” and then be surprised when he, in fact, stabs you at his convenience.
Which makes the whole, "Democrats should have bailed him out in exchange for something" argument even more odd.

So he is now the embodiment of the "Leopards eating people's faces party" meme?

I'm sorry, but the idea that Dems had a role in saving McCarthy's ass is idiotic. The majority party has the responsibility for picking a speaker.
Sorry, but that's just wrong. The entire House votes on the Speaker, not just the majority caucus. That makes it the responsibility of the entire House. That it is not this in practice is a sign of dysfunction, not how things should be.

Technically, that might have been the original idea, because the 18th century framers did not understand the role that political parties would play in politics and made no allowances for partisanship. Over the history of the country, most House speakers have been elected by political caucuses. The whole House votes, but the party with the most votes controls the agenda. That makes sense, because the party that wins the most seats controls the legislative agenda, and our two parties have very different political agendas.

I wish we had some a decent number of representatives from other parties in Congress (although we would need either a regional party or proportional representation for that) so that no single party has an outright majority hardly ever and Speaker is more than just a glorified party caucus leader.

As Rhea pointed out, political caucuses within Congress already play bipartisan roles. However, there can only be one Speaker, and  Duverger's Law applies to the formation of parties in the US. We aren't going to have more than two major parties in the US until we change the way in which people vote for political candidates. First past the post voting is what rules our politics now.

McCarthy did nothing that the worst MAGA Republican would not have done.
That is demonstrably untrue, as otherwise he would not have advanced the motion to vacate.

Again, you pick a nit that doesn't really contradict my claim. The only thing McCarthy did to displease the MAGA masters holding his dog leash was to allow Democratic votes to keep the government open. And that is what lost him his speakership. He completely reneged on his original compromise plan to keep the government open, which included aid for Ukraine. So Democrats had no reason to trust him at all. The next speaker will have to do their bidding, whether it is McCarthy or someone else. It was up to McCarthy to buck the MAGA wing and stick to his original commitment, and he refused to do that. Good riddance. Now Republicans will have to find a replacement that they can all get behind despite the refusal of Democrats to help. Alternatively, some Republican moderates could come forward and work with Democrats to put a bipartisan leadership in place. McCarthy himself could get his speakership back, if he was willing to do that.

Let the Republicans find their own speaker or seek a deal with Democrats to put some kind of bipartisan speaker in place.
I am for that second option. But I doubt Dems these days are very conciliatory.

Now that is demonstrably wrong. Being conciliatory is different from capitulation. Democrats have shown a willingness to strike deals, but it is the Republican side that controls the House and the unconciliatory MAGA wing that controls the Republicans. McCarthy offered Democrats nothing more to support his speakership than the prospect that the next speaker could actually be more willing to toss bombs than he was. But he still tossed those bombs, even if he would have preferred not to. He did what he was told until he allowed Democrats to help him keep the government open.

Right now, the MAGA idiots who engineered McCarthy's demise are considering Donald Trump for the position, and Trump has said he was open to it (although that doesn't mean that he was really open to it). I think that it might be useful to have Trump in that role to remind the public of how bad things can be with such an incompetent in public office.
That would put Trump two heartbeats away from the presidency. Is that something you would want to risk?

Wake up, Derec! Who is the front runner to be the Republican nominee to the presidency? He is closer than two heartbeats now, and I prefer the current lineup to the succession than what we had when McCarthy was in that lineup.

I prefer the current lineup to the succession than what we had when McCarthy was in that lineup.

Right now, the next four in line are Democrats. I don't know about Lloyd Austin or Merrick Garland (I think MG is a Dem), but all the rest are appointees, and therefore Dems. Trump's goons are going to run out of ammo before they can make one of their own President.

Julie Su (Sec of Labor) is questionable tho:

Eligible if acting officers whose prior executive branch appointment required Senate confirmation are included in the line of succession, which is unclear. The current succession act states that the list of eligible cabinet officers includes only "officers appointed, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate," whereas the previous act stated that the list (of eligible cabinet secretaries) only applied to persons confirmed to "the offices therein named," thus excluded acting secretaries. Many officials who serve as acting secretaries have previously received Senate confirmations for deputy-level posts, and so might be eligible under the more ambiguous wording of the current law.

:sick-green:
Actually it could be quite a shit show for all the world to see how inept and stupid he really is.

That's true but we know how authoritarian he is. They will change the rules for him to simplify his reign. Then, big issues will be decided like Biden's impeachment, ....also puts him 3rd in line. If anything mysteriously happened to Biden or Harris, he'd suddenly be VP... just a bizarre hypothetical for now.

If anything mysteriously happened to Biden or Harris, he'd suddenly be VP...
Not how it works...

When Ford became President after Nixon resigned, Speaker Carl Albert did not become VP. The office was vacant until Nelson Rockefeller was appointed and confirmed by the Senate.

:sick-green:
Actually it could be quite a shit show for all the world to see how inept and stupid he really is.

That's true but we know how authoritarian he is. They will change the rules for him to simplify his reign. Then, big issues will be decided like Biden's impeachment, ....also puts him 3rd in line. If anything mysteriously happened to Biden or Harris, he'd suddenly be VP... just a bizarre hypothetical for now.

This is another opportunity for the narcissist to call attention to himself, but he is too busy fundraising for his legal defense presidential campaign. Even though Republicans won't require the speaker to get any substantive legislation passed, the job takes up a lot of time. Donald Trump is notoriously lazy. He hires other people to take care of details. He himself can't be bothered.

Not how it works...

When Ford became President after Nixon resigned, Speaker Carl Albert did not become VP. The office was vacant until Nelson Rockefeller was appointed and confirmed by the Senate.
But if something happened to both the VP and POTUS, the Speaker becomes acting head of state. Temporarily.

Not how it works...

If Trump became Speaker, Biden and Harris wouldn't be on the same continent as each other at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom