• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McCarthey out as Speaker of the House - Bozo the clown on deck

It actually matters for their majority because congressman Bill Johnson is also leaving early next year. And with Santos out and if Dems can flip that seat, it will mean Republicans could only afford to lose two votes to Dems on any bill.

Speaker Johnson survived last month's budget extension with only a little grumbling from some far-right members of his party.

Did that grumbling fail to lead to anything further because of unpleasant memories of the last time around?

Ken Buck is leaving next week, making their majority slimmer.

A bit further down,
Taylor Swift encouraged her 282M Instagram followers to vote in the primaries.
I'm loving that shit.
Tom

A bit further down,
I'm loving that shit.
Tom
He said he is leaving to work on election reform. Don't know what he thinks needs to be done, but it is a good sign.

He said he is leaving to work on election reform. Don't know what he thinks needs to be done, but it is a good sign.
How does giving up your legislative power and influence help one on improving election reform? This seems more like a dog whistle to MAGAtards so he can land a decent gig as a pundit at Newsmax or RSBN.

A bit further down,
I'm loving that shit.
Tom

GOP election reform is always about limiting access.

How does giving up your legislative power and influence help one on improving election reform? This seems more like a dog whistle to MAGAtards so he can land a decent gig as a pundit at Newsmax or RSBN.
He's been critical of Trump, and had already announced he was not seeking reelection, so it's an odd move here. I'd hazard a guess that we're going to see some other information come out about Block in the next week or so.

He's been critical of Trump, and had already announced he was not seeking reelection, so it's an odd move here. I'd hazard a guess that we're going to see some other information come out about Block in the next week or so.
I'll admit I don't know much about Buck, but "I've been doing some research", and most of his public stances parallel nicely with what Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck etc were saying during the Tea Party era. It's entirely possible Buck's contempt towards Trump stems solely from elitist snobbery and not from some enlightened ideological position.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but much like how MAGAtards have subverted the phrase "border security" to mean "David Lane was right", it appears "election reform" is starting to mean "stealing the election - our way".

I'll admit I don't know much about Buck, but "I've been doing some research", and most of his public stances parallel nicely with what Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck etc were saying during the Tea Party era. It's entirely possible Buck's contempt towards Trump stems solely from elitist snobbery and not from some enlightened ideological position.
Elitist snobbery?

Or is it dislike of what an uncouth megalomaniac narcissistic belligerent boor he is? His self-pitying crybaby election denial? His poor taste in politicians to support? His attempts to take over the Republican Party?

much like how MAGAtards have subverted the phrase "border security" to mean "David Lane was right", it appears "election reform" is starting to mean "stealing the election - our way".

Yes, that has been the case since 2015. That’s when Trump launched his rigged election scam.

Elitist snobbery?

Or is it dislike of what an uncouth megalomaniac narcissistic belligerent boor he is? His self-pitying crybaby election denial? His poor taste in politicians to support? His attempts to take over the Republican Party?
We're talking about a career GOP politician here. They wish to rule, not represent. And they sure as hell don't give a flying fuck about belligerence, self pity or denial of reality. That is their literal brand. Elitist snobbery seems the more likely reason here. That and the fear Trump might give the whole grift away.

By the numbers: Republicans will have 218 seats to Democrats' 213 after Buck leaves, meaning the GOP can lose just two of their members on any given party-line vote.
  • The resignations of McCarthy and Rep. Bill Johnson (R-Ohio) — as well as the expulsion of Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) and the loss of his seat to Democrats — have led Republicans to this point.
  • A special election in April to replace Rep. Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.) will likely net Democrats another seat.
  • Republicans are then poised to win the May and June elections to replace McCarthy and Johnson, respectively. Colorado Gov. Jared Polis said he intends to set the special election to fill Buck's seat for June 25.

Mike Johnson invoked God in a GOP presentation on keeping the majority. It didn’t land well. - Live Updates - POLITICO - "The speaker delivered a presentation that, while ostensibly about holding the majority this fall, took a notably moral turn, according to two people in the room."

A religious tone, according to them, a tone that they found alarming.
Johnson, a devout Christian, attempted to rally the group by discussing moral decline in America — focusing on declining church membership and the nation’s shrinking religious identity, according to both people in the room.

The speaker contended that when one doesn’t have God in their life, the government or “state” will become their guide, referring back to Bible verses, both people said. They added that the approach fell flat among some in the room.

“I’m not at church,” one of the people said, describing Johnson’s presentation as “horrible.”

Mike Johnson invoked God in a GOP presentation on keeping the majority. It didn’t land well. - Live Updates - POLITICO - "The speaker delivered a presentation that, while ostensibly about holding the majority this fall, took a notably moral turn, according to two people in the room."

Johnson, a devout Christian, attempted to rally the group by discussing moral decline in America — focusing on declining church membership and the nation’s shrinking religious identity, according to both people in the room.

The speaker contended that when one doesn’t have God in their life, the government or “state” will become their guide, referring back to Bible verses, both people said. They added that the approach fell flat among some in the room.

“I’m not at church,” one of the people said, describing Johnson’s presentation as “horrible.”
What's a "devout Christian" doing sucking Trump the rapist mob boss's dick?

What's a "devout Christian" doing sucking Trump the rapist mob boss's dick?
Placating the new Cyrus.

The good news is that Bobblehead will not be in the special election.

I'm no insider, bur Word on our streets is the she won't be winning any elections any time soon. Jerry Sonnenberg will probably be the GOP nominee, and will probably win the seat. He seems like a reasonable guy for a conservative dickweed. Probably a hair to the left of that district's population.

Bubbles' whole charade - the moving, the pretending to run... she HAD to get away from the embarrassing toxic mess she had made for herself in own town, and in entire communities within her district. She was never going to garner enough support to challenge in the primary.

Back
Top Bottom