• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McConnell's "Freudian" Slips Out

facts are not lies
It seems we're at
Is or Is not
"Uttering a statement to cover up another statement, when it is known to cover a statement"
"fucked up and evil behavior"?
Incoherent statements... They're just incoherent.
Ah, back to what certainly seems like gaslighting. Maybe someone else can chime in with the Captain obvious where someone has to ELI5 a simple question to the elderly.

Anyway, the minority vote is not "suppressed", there is no evidence that it is "suppressed"
When you pose it as "African Americans" and "all Americans" it's pretty close.

When you pose it as "Minorities and White Americans" it looks a lot different...

...African Americans are not alone in having their vote suppressed.
There is no evidence that the minority vote is being suppressed. When you can show laws that target racial minorities by race I will reconsider that.

There is no evidence that the minority vote is being suppressed. When you can show laws that target racial minorities by race I will reconsider that.

It's right there.

A law does not have to target am individual minority by race by name to target them, especially through general trends. You set standards which are ridiculous and designed to fail.

It's right there.

A law does not have to target am individual minority by race by name to target them, especially through general trends. You set standards which are ridiculous and designed to fail.
I haven't set any standard.

McConnell uttered a true statement. Deal with it.

It's right there.

I haven't set any standard.

McConnell uttered a true statement. Deal with it.
It is unsurprising that you see it that way.

I do not know how you Infidels have the patience to deal with this! Especially when the same lies and half-truths are repeated over and over and over. (BTW, poor people more generally and college students are also groups that tend to vote Democratic: they have also been targeted by Republican suppression schemes.)

The GOP is clever enough — if "clever" is an appropriate word to describe blatantly criminal malice — to suppress black votes without legislation that explicitly contains the word "black." Recently I read of a county with very large area that will be given only a single polling place in future elections. Any bets on what the demographics of that county are, Mr. Metaphor? In some states, voters had to queue for several hours to vote in some precincts, while there were no delays in affluent neighborhoods. Why?

@Metaphor — Why do YOU think the GOP, when in control, adopts measures that appear to be suppression? Do you have enough intellectual curiosity to investigate why queuing times are so different within one state? Or do you just swallow the QOP lie that such things are happenstance?

One of the "cleverest" things the GOP did several years ago was a computer search to find duplicated names. If a "Robert J. Williams" was noticed in one state and someone of the same name in a different state, BOTH names could be flagged and the voters could be turned away on Election Day. It is easy to apply such laws selectively. ("Of course we know you're OK, Bobby Joe! This don' apply to good ol' boys like y'all!")

Believe it or don't this duplicate name detection is inherently biased against Blacks. Among the five most common surnames in the U.S., 22.2% of Smiths are Black, 33.8% of Johnsons, 34.5% of Browns, 37.7% of Joneses and a whopping 46.7% of Williamses are Blacks. (Some QOP analyst probably got a free ride at the Trump-Epstein joy ranch for this clever insight.)

Especially when the same lies and half-truths are repeated over and over and over.
That’s a tactic, not an accident. Repeat the same claim over and over to get it wedged into memory as if it had supporting evidence when it never did.

For example, implying that because McConnell “told a truth” that it was not also deliberately deceptive.

McConnell compared a subset to the whole. He did this on purpose because comparing the subsets to each other shows that the GOP is supressing minority votes, while comparing the subset to the whole hides the numbers in a larger pool.

Many willfully malevolent people like this frame, because it allows uninformed people to support their deliberate malice.

It is deceptive, and it is not an accident. The uninformed can’t detect the deception. And that’s why the malevolent use it.

It’s simple deception by math. Look, we can hide half of the effect by diluting the difference in the larger pool of numbers and then declare that the effect is small. Throw on a couple of layers of paint and you’ll never notice that dent.

And the uninformed will let themselves look only at the paint and call it a “truth.”

The GOP is clever enough — if "clever" is an appropriate word to describe blatantly criminal malice — to suppress black votes without legislation that explicitly contains the word "black."
And conservatives and racists have been doing this in America since the beginning. The “poll taxes” and the “poll tests” were all designed to do this. This is so well known that the malevolent have to resort to the repetition of the deception to maintain it. And the uninformed help them by hugging their prejudices tighter than their reason.
One of the "cleverest" things the GOP did several years ago was a computer search to find duplicated names. If a "Robert J. Williams" was noticed in one state and someone of the same name in a different state, BOTH names could be flagged and the voters could be turned away on Election Day. It is easy to apply such laws selectively. ("Of course we know you're OK, Bobby Joe! This don' apply to good ol' boys like y'all!")

Believe it or don't this duplicate name detection is inherently biased against Blacks. Among the five most common surnames in the U.S., 22.2% of Smiths are Black, 33.8% of Johnsons, 34.5% of Browns, 37.7% of Joneses and a whopping 46.7% of Williamses are Blacks. (Some QOP analyst probably got a free ride at the Trump-Epstein joy ranch for this clever insight.)
And they have many many more.

It can be seen in the size and number of polling stations. The IDs considered acceptable, the number and placement of locations to get IDs, the hours of the polling stations, the poll watcher actions. The acts to deprive citizens of the right to vote and the purges of voting rolls.

And they are quantified in the comparison of the number of black or minority voters turned away from voting versus the number of white voters. And that strong signal can be hidden by comparing minority voters to the whole pool, thereby subtracting the suppression of minority votes from the signal. Not an accident. But repeated again and again by those who either want to deceive or those too uninformed to detect the deception, but whose support is needed to enact the suppression.

Mitch McConnel deceived, on purpose, by using inapproriate data. The data was “true,” but misused, and therefore a decpetion.

Some people fell for it. Some celebrated the chance to deceive while claiming deniability. And both of those groups enabled voter suppression.

Especially when the same lies and half-truths are repeated over and over and over.
That’s a tactic, not an accident. Repeat the same claim over and over to get it wedged into memory as if it had supporting evidence when it never did.

For example, implying that because McConnell “told a truth” that it was not also deliberately deceptive.

McConnell compared a subset to the whole. He did this on purpose because comparing the subsets to each other shows that the GOP is supressing minority votes, while comparing the subset to the whole hides the numbers in a larger pool.

Many willfully malevolent people like this frame, because it allows uninformed people to support their deliberate malice.

It is deceptive, and it is not an accident. The uninformed can’t detect the deception. And that’s why the malevolent use it.

It’s simple deception by math. Look, we can hide half of the effect by diluting the difference in the larger pool of numbers and then declare that the effect is small. Throw on a couple of layers of paint and you’ll never notice that dent.

And the uninformed will let themselves look only at the paint and call it a “truth.”

The GOP is clever enough — if "clever" is an appropriate word to describe blatantly criminal malice — to suppress black votes without legislation that explicitly contains the word "black."
And conservatives and racists have been doing this in America since the beginning. The “poll taxes” and the “poll tests” were all designed to do this. This is so well known that the malevolent have to resort to the repetition of the deception to maintain it. And the uninformed help them by hugging their prejudices tighter than their reason.

And they have many many more.

It can be seen in the size and number of polling stations. The IDs considered acceptable, the number and placement of locations to get IDs, the hours of the polling stations, the poll watcher actions. The acts to deprive citizens of the right to vote and the purges of voting rolls.

And they are quantified in the comparison of the number of black or minority voters turned away from voting versus the number of white voters. And that strong signal can be hidden by comparing minority voters to the whole pool, thereby subtracting the suppression of minority votes from the signal. Not an accident. But repeated again and again by those who either want to deceive or those too uninformed to detect the deception, but whose support is needed to enact the suppression.

Mitch McConnel deceived, on purpose, by using inapproriate data. The data was “true,” but misused, and therefore a decpetion.

Some people fell for it. Some celebrated the chance to deceive while claiming deniability. And both of those groups enabled voter suppression.
Yes. 100%.

When you pose it as "African Americans" and "all Americans" it's pretty close.

When you pose it as "Minorities and White Americans" it looks a lot different: African Americans are not alone in having their vote suppressed.

I choose to believe that McConnell is not incompetent or a fool, and that leaves that he uttered a statement to cover up another statement, when it is known to cover a statement, which is fucked up and evil behavior.

My husband just watched a video and I couldn't believe what my ears heard from across the room.

I made him replay the video.

McConnell's "Freudian" slipped out.
I don't have much knowledge of psychology, but as I've always understood it from a layman's POV,, there are "Freudian slips" and then there are simple "mispeaks" The former being tied to subconcious beliefs or feelings (often insidious), while the latter is just basic flubbing of words and sentences, something everyone does pretty much daily (unless they are socially isolated to some degree). So, in general, how does one determine whether something said is a genuine "Freudian Slip" or just a simple flubbing of words? Do you need to know a person's background before declaring its a "Freudian Slip", or is it something that is obvious to a casual observer, if you know what to look for? One real life example I can think of from recent times is a TV news anchor who referred to Martin Luther King Day as Martin Luther Coon Day, live on the air. IIRC, he was fired for that, despite his personal protestations that he was not a racist and it was a really unfortunate slip of the tongue. Can we be certain that it was a Freudian Slip, or do we give him the benefit of the doubt? How did you determine that Mitch McConnell's statement was a Freudian Slip and not a mispeak?

For that matter, is a Freudian Slip even a concept that is accepted by the scientific community these days? I know a lot of Freud's ideas have largely been poo-pooed these days, so maybe that one is also?

there are "Freudian slips" and then there are simple "mispeaks" The former being tied to subconcious beliefs or feelings (often insidious), while the latter is just basic flubbing of words and sentences, something everyone does pretty much daily

Can we be certain that it was a Freudian Slip, or do we give him the benefit of the doubt?

My contention is that it is NEITHER a Freudian slip NOR a misspeak.
It is deception. Planned, deliberate and calculated.

He knows minorities have their votes surpressed. He wants to hide that. So he used deceptive math to compare the rate of one sub-group to the whole, thereby hiding the benefits accruing to white voters by including the suppression of minority voters in their number.

The kerfluffle over “freudian slip” actually plays right into McConnell’s hands because people are talking about McConnell and not the voter suppression (right wing fraud) on minority voters.

My contention is that it is NEITHER a Freudian slip NOR a misspeak.
It is deception. Planned, deliberate and calculated.

^^^^ This!

McConnell didn't let slip some unconcious bias. He didn't mispeak.

He said exactly what would help maintain his power in the Trumpista's world. He didn't acquire and keep that much power by slipping up. His statement was market tested.
Tom

ETA ~McConnell has enough power to overrule The Constitution. He's not just another politician, much less an average citizen.
When he decided to ignore the process laid out for SCOTUS replacement judges he simply overruled The Constitution. For partisan purposes.
That was McConnell's defining moment. When he put personal power over basic U.S. institutions. ~

McConnell's "Freudian" slipped out.
I don't have much knowledge of psychology, but as I've always understood it from a layman's POV,, there are "Freudian slips" and then there are simple "mispeaks" The former being tied to subconcious beliefs or feelings (often insidious), while the latter is just basic flubbing of words and sentences, ...
IIRC an example Freud himself used was a patient who said "play" when "pay" was intended. (And in fact that patient stiffed the analyst.)

If McConnell had intended "all Americans", it would have been normal for him to say "Americans as a whole" or such. He didn't. The likeliest explanation IMO is that subconsciously he used "Americans" to denote "real (white) Americans."

If McConnell had intended "all Americans", it would have been normal for him to say "Americans as a whole" or such. He didn't. The likeliest explanation IMO is that subconsciously he used "Americans" to denote "real (white) Americans."

I think it is more likely that he wanted people to think “white Americans” while he used the number for “all Americans.”

So his lack of clarity was deliberate, as it was his intent to deceive and make people think the difference between black voter accessibility and white voter accessibility was small, despite him knowing for certain that it is large and he wants to make it larger.

But he wants to hide that, and so the ambiguous words to make you think one thing (small difference, which is incorrect) while retaining plausibility that he was not “lying” (which he was, in trying to amke people think the opposite).

The “poorly worded” statement is the plan.

How does Mitch feel about Asian Americans voting? His wife (Elaine Chao) is Asian. I wonder if he thinks Asians count as "white Americans" or if he wants to suppress their vote like with other PoC?

How does Mitch feel about Asian Americans voting? His wife (Elaine Chao) is Asian. I wonder if he thinks Asians count as "white Americans" or if he wants to suppress their vote like with other PoC?
It would not surprise me even a little bit if he wanted to suppress Asian votes, except his wife’s.

It would not surprise me even a little bit if he wanted to suppress Asian votes, except his wife’s.
He sure is a sneaky guy.

Have you never met a racist somehow? They often brag about their amicable relationships with individual people of minority race, as proof of their supposed tolerance. If they are a sitting legislator, though, let alone a former Senate Majority Leader, I care a lot more about their actual record than who they are friends with. I don't give a shit whether Mitch McConnell is a racist in his home, it's out on the streets of America that he poses a danger to our collective wellbeing.

Back
Top Bottom