• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Media treatment of Bernie Sanders: a story in pictures

This is from the other day on MSNBC. There is no reason, none, why Bernie should be excluded from this graphic, other than outright media hostility towards him. I've had Koy on ignore for months now, but anybody else is welcome to provide alternate hypotheses

vpq5uawjr7o31.png

Whining about Sander's perceived mistreatment, while at the same time just ignoring the mistreatment he and his camp flung at Hillary all the way through to the bitterly divisive end.

You mean by not immediately dropping out of the primary, refusing to make an issue of her emails, and campaigning for her in the end? Ya, he was brutal to her wasn't he?
This all happened a few years ago. It blow my mind that people are actually arguing that Sanders screwed Clinton and Clinton (or DNC) screwed Sanders. Clinton generally won the primaries, Sanders generally won the caucuses. Sanders failed to get the African American vote, which cost him dearly in the South. He won in states that were mostly purple to red with the exception of northern New England and the Pacific Northwest.

Sanders lost and then he used his influence to expand the DNC platform to include a lot of his planks and went out and campaigned for Clinton.

Whining about Sander's perceived mistreatment, while at the same time just ignoring the mistreatment he and his camp flung at Hillary all the way through to the bitterly divisive end.

You mean by not immediately dropping out of the primary, refusing to make an issue of her emails, and campaigning for her in the end? Ya, he was brutal to her wasn't he?
This all happened a few years ago. It blow my mind that people are actually arguing that Sanders screwed Clinton and Clinton (or DNC) screwed Sanders. Clinton generally won the primaries, Sanders generally won the caucuses. Sanders failed to get the African American vote, which cost him dearly in the South. He won in states that were mostly purple to red with the exception of northern New England and the Pacific Northwest.

Sanders lost and then he used his influence to expand the DNC platform to include a lot of his planks and went out and campaigned for Clinton.

And he was warmly thanked for it by Clinton. He did more appearances for Clinton than she did for Obama.

And speaking of the minority vote, notice how the narrative has changed from "Bernie doesn't do well with blacks and Hispanics" to (when polls consistently show his base as the most diverse) "blacks and Hispanics are residue"

6756sS4.jpg

Meanwhile, his campaign just made history by reaching 1 million individual donors, which at this stage of the primary is unprecedented.

Um

page.JPG

Sanders proposed a wealth tax on the top 0.1% in 1998, 2014, and 2017 but I guess it's "taking a page from Liz" when he does it in 2019

Um

View attachment 24062

Sanders proposed a wealth tax on the top 0.1% in 1998, 2014, and 2017 but I guess it's "taking a page from Liz" when he does it in 2019

Yikes. Wall Street will absolutely love that! Having all the billionaires sell their stocks all at once to pay their tax bill will crash the market. That will take a pretty good bite out of everyone's 401k plan.

And speaking of the minority vote, notice how the narrative has changed from "Bernie doesn't do well with blacks and Hispanics" to (when polls consistently show his base as the most diverse) "blacks and Hispanics are residue"

View attachment 23915

Meanwhile, his campaign just made history by reaching 1 million individual donors, which at this stage of the primary is unprecedented.

I saw people complaining about this. Residue just means the part that's left over. Silver should be dragged for being redundant with "residue of what's left" but not for any kind of slur.

This is from the other day on MSNBC. There is no reason, none, why Bernie should be excluded from this graphic, other than outright media hostility towards him. I've had Koy on ignore for months now, but anybody else is welcome to provide alternate hypotheses

View attachment 23913

Yang also missing. But Bernie missing? Yes. That's definitely interesting. Isn't he like 3rd right now? And is that Williamson??? Isn't she polling below 1%? I enjoy her because she's funny, but that's just odd.

View attachment 23913

Yang also missing. But Bernie missing? Yes. That's definitely interesting. Isn't he like 3rd right now? And is that Williamson??? Isn't she polling below 1%? I enjoy her because she's funny, but that's just odd.

Isn’t that an ad for a specific event and those are the people who were THERE?

Rhea said:
Isn’t that an ad for a specific event and those are the people who were THERE?

That could explain it, but it says "The Condenders", not "Those Present". Based on the graphic alone, I'd be inclined to think these are the contenders for the nomination.

Thanks for the link abbadon. So according to Snopes, its true that they left Sanders (and Yang) off, despite Sanders at the time polling right at the top. They then go on to explain that Sanders has been discussed at other times on NBC. But.... that's not much of an excuse for leaving him off this graphic. Its rather ridiculous I'd say.

I was thinking an alternative explanation could be that this is only one of multiple graphics they showed in succession because there were too many candidates to fit on one graphic, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks for the link abbadon. So according to Snopes, its true that they left Sanders (and Yang) off, despite Sanders at the time polling right at the top. They then go on to explain that Sanders has been discussed at other times on NBC. But.... that's not much of an excuse for leaving him off this graphic. Its rather ridiculous I'd say.

I was thinking an alternative explanation could be that this is only one of multiple graphics they showed in succession because there were too many candidates to fit on one graphic, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I think that we should boycott those right-wing MSNBC meanies! Maybe Fox would treat Bernie better...

Last edited:

I think that we should boycott those right-wing MSNBC meanies! Maybe Fox would treat Bernie better...

No one speaking out against endless bogus illegal wars for profiteering get much time on corporate state TV.

You're onto something by acknowledging that MSNBC is right-wing. Now go a little further.

Speak of the devil:

showing.JPG

Where have we heard this before...?

Imagine if you will what the reaction would be if David Sirota went on CNN and said "to support Warren instead of Sanders is showing your antisemitism"

Also, google that pundit's name and background if you want to understand why she's saying this.

No one speaking out against endless bogus illegal wars for profiteering get much time on corporate state TV.

Particularly when their--Sanders' in particular--track record betrays the exact same policies as others they're running against. Including on Iraq when what he actually was arguing about was not invading unilaterally:

Mr. Speaker, I do not think any Member of this body disagrees that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant, a murderer, and a man who has started two wars. He is clearly someone who cannot be trusted or believed. The question, Mr. Speaker, is not whether we like Saddam Hussein or not. The question is whether he represents an imminent threat to the American people and whether a unilateral invasion of Iraq will do more harm than good.
Mr. Speaker, I do not know why the President feels, despite what our intelligence agencies are saying, that it is so important to pass a resolution of this magnitude this week and why it is necessary to go forward without the support of the United Nations and our major allies including those who are fighting side by side with us in the war on terrorism.
Mr. Speaker, in the brief time I have, let me give five reasons why I am opposed to giving the President a blank check to launch a unilateral invasion and occupation of Iraq and why I will vote against this resolution. One, I have not heard any estimates of how many young American men and women might die in such a war or how many tens of thousands of women and children in Iraq might also be killed. As a caring Nation, we should do everything we can to prevent the horrible suffering that a war will cause. War must be the last recourse in international relations, not the first. Second, I am deeply concerned about the precedent that a unilateral invasion of Iraq could establish in terms of international law and the role of the United Nations. If President Bush believes that the U.S. can go to war at any time against any nation, what moral or legal objection could our government raise if another country chose to do the same thing?

He concluded:

If a unilateral American invasion of Iraq is not the best approach, what should we do? In my view, the U.S. must work with the United Nations to make certain within clearly defined timelines that the U.N. inspectors are allowed to do their jobs. These inspectors should undertake an unfettered search for Iraqi weapons of mass destruction and destroy them when found, pursuant to past U.N. resolutions. If Iraq resists inspection and elimination of stockpiled weapons, we should stand ready to assist the U.N. in forcing compliance.

His objection was NOT against either the use of force or invasion, but simply against America using force or invading alone.

The steps he outlined in his conclusion, btw, were exactly the steps Bush subsequently took. Bush did in fact work with the UN to make clearly defined timelines--which resulted in Resolution 1441 and the subsequent do or die declaration prior to the formal invasion--and the threat of force granted Bush by the authorization Sanders voted against worked to force Iraq to allow the UN inspectors back in to do their jobs. The inspectors, however, or, rather, Hans Blix, provided reports to the UN that evidenced non-compliance with 1441 (and, by extension, earlier such resolutions).

It was those subsequent reports that Bush and Blair relied on to justify invading. The only provision of Sanders' they arguably did not follow was the UN's lead in "forcing compliance" at the end, but it was exactly Sanders' approach:

On 7 December 2002, Iraq filed its 12,000-page weapons declaration with the UN in order to meet requirements for this resolution. The five permanent members of the Security Council received unedited versions of the report, while an edited version was made available for other UN Member States. On 19 December, Hans Blix reported before the United Nations and stated in regards to Iraq's 7 December report (unedited version): "During the period 1991–1998, Iraq submitted many declarations called full, final and complete. Regrettably, much in these declarations proved inaccurate or incomplete or was unsupported or contradicted by evidence. In such cases, no confidence can arise that proscribed programmes or items have been eliminated." By March, Blix declared that the 7 December report had not brought any new documentary evidence to light.

Iraq continued to fail to account for substantial chemical and biological stockpiles which UNMOVIC inspectors had confirmed as existing as late as 1998. Iraq claimed that it had disposed of its anthrax stockpiles at a specific site, but UNMOVIC found this impossible to confirm since Iraq had not allowed the destruction to be witnessed by inspectors as required by the pertinent Resolutions. Chemical testing done at the site was unable to show that any anthrax had been destroyed there.

Hans Blix and Mohamed ElBaradei presented several reports to the UN detailing Iraq's level of compliance with Resolution 1441.[10][11][12] On 27 January 2003 Chief UN Weapons Inspector Blix addressed the UN Security Council and stated "Iraq appears not to have come to a genuine acceptance–not even today–of the disarmament, which was demanded of it and which it needs to carry out to win the confidence of the world and to live in peace."[10] Blix went on to state that the Iraqi regime had allegedly misplaced "1,000 tonnes" of VX nerve agent—one of the most toxic ever developed.[10]

By mid-February the issues of anthrax, the nerve agent VX and long-range missiles remained unresolved. Blix's 7 March report stated "Iraq, with a highly developed administrative system, should be able to provide more documentary evidence about its proscribed weapons programmes. Only a few new such documents have come to light so far and been handed over since we began inspections."

Blix's report also stated:

What are we to make of these activities? One can hardly avoid the impression that, after a period of somewhat reluctant cooperation, there has been an acceleration of initiatives from the Iraqi side since the end of January. This is welcome, but the value of these measures must be soberly judged by how many question marks they actually succeed in straightening out. This is not yet clear. Against this background, the question is now asked whether Iraq has cooperated "immediately, unconditionally and actively" with UNMOVIC, as required under paragraph 9 of resolution 1441 (2002). The answers can be seen from the factual descriptions I have provided. However, if more direct answers are desired, I would say the following:

The Iraqi side has tried on occasion to attach conditions, as it did regarding helicopters and U-2 planes. Iraq has not, however, so far persisted in these or other conditions for the exercise of any of our inspection rights. If it did, we would report it.

It is obvious that, while the numerous initiatives, which are now taken by the Iraqi side with a view to resolving some long-standing open disarmament issues, can be seen as "active", or even "proactive", these initiatives 3–4 months into the new resolution cannot be said to constitute "immediate" cooperation. Nor do they necessarily cover all areas of relevance. They are nevertheless welcome and UNMOVIC is responding to them in the hope of solving presently unresolved disarmament issues.​

At this point, the US Administration asserted that Iraq remained in material breach of the UN Resolutions, and that, under 1441, this meant the Security Council had to convene immediately "in order to consider the situation and the need for full compliance with all of the relevant Council resolutions in order to secure international peace and security".

Before the meeting took place, French president Jacques Chirac declared on 10 March that France would veto any resolution which would automatically lead to war. This caused open displays of dismay by the U.S. and British governments. The drive by Britain for unanimity and a "second resolution" was effectively abandoned at that point.

In the leadup to the meeting, it became apparent that a majority of UNSC members would oppose any resolution leading to war. As a result, no such resolution was put to the Council.

At the Azores conference of 16 March, Tony Blair, George W. Bush, Spanish prime minister José María Aznar as well as Portuguese prime minister José Manuel Barroso who hosted the meeting, announced the imminent deadline of 17 March for complete Iraqi compliance, with statements such as "Tomorrow is a moment of truth for the world". On the 17th, speeches by Bush and UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw explicitly declared the period of diplomacy to be over, as declared by Resolution 1441's prohibition on giving Iraq new opportunities for compliance, and that no further authorization from the UN would be sought before an invasion of Iraq (see 2003 invasion of Iraq). The USA and Britain, while admitting that such a resolution was diplomatically desirable, insisted that Iraq had now been given enough time (noting also the time since the first disarmament resolutions of 1991) to disarm or provide evidence thereof, and that war was legitimized by 1441 and previous UN resolutions. Non-permanent Security Council member Spain declared itself with the USA and Britain. Nevertheless, this position taken by the Bush administration and its supporters, has been and still is being disputed by numerous legal experts. According to most members of the Security Council, it is up to the council itself, and not individual members, to determine how the body's resolutions are to be enforced.

Once again, had you actually bothered to read the fucking stories you post about, you have noted:

With just four months until the first-in-the-nation caucuses, Sanders is in trouble. As he delivered his populist gospel to large crowds of camouflage-clad high schoolers, liberal arts college students, and trade union members across Iowa last week, a problematic narrative was hardening around him: His campaign is in disarray and Elizabeth Warren has eclipsed him as the progressive standard-bearer of the primary. He’s sunk to third place nationally, behind Warren and Joe Biden, and some polls of early nomination states show him barely clinging to double digits. He’s shaken up his staffs in Iowa and New Hampshire. He’s lost the endorsement of the Working Families Party, a left-wing group that backed him in 2016, to Warren.

Dismissed out of the gate in 2016 as a nonfactor against Hillary Clinton — only to single-handedly shift the Democratic Party’s ideological center of gravity — Sanders is quite familiar with being left for dead. His top brass' official line is that pundits and political elites are writing him off because they have no clue what’s happening at kitchen tables and picket lines across America. Sanders and his team have argued some polls that are bad for him are out of whack and several polls that are good for him are ignored by the media.

Meanwhile, his aides say, Sanders remains a fundraising and organizing juggernaut. In its classic big-big-big-numbers style, the campaign announced this month that it had both contacted 1 million voters in Iowa and received donations from 1 million people throughout the United States — a milestone he reached faster than any Democratic presidential candidate in history.

Sanders is still a top-tier candidate, and many voters haven’t made up their minds yet. But time is starting to run short. Sanders staffers cited a few reasons they used this critical post-Labor Day span of the primary for what they dubbed the Bernie Beats Trump tour, which they say had been in the works for a while: With the visual punch of big, enthusiastic crowds, they wanted to debunk the idea that Sanders can’t attract support in rural and conservative areas. They say Sanders is committed to doing retail politics in Iowa, albeit in his own way, where he takes questions and asks voters at intimate town halls to share their experiences of economic hardship. And they sought to show that, contrary to conventional wisdom, Sanders’ left-wing ideas aren’t too radical to survive a general election.

And you want to know why he's losing? Because of shit like this:

In the locker room, I ask Sanders to make his electability case, sans polls.

“Excellent question,” he says. “I’ll tell you why.” He won the Michigan and Wisconsin primaries in 2016, two Rust Belt states that were critical to Trump’s victory, and did “very, very well” in counties where Clinton lost to Trump, he says. Plus, he believes his message — “that we are prepared to take on the greed and corruption of the corporate elite” and pursue bold health care and climate change plans — will appeal not only to some of Trump’s supporters, but also inspire “huge voter turnout.” A campaign that’s the “same ol’, same ol’ — that does not create excitement and energy, that does not get these young people out to vote by the millions — is a losing campaign,” he says.

He thinks it's still 2016 and that taking on "greed and corruption of the corporate elite" and pursuing "bold health care and climate change plans" will appeal to "some" of Trump's supporters (it will not), but also inspire "huge voter turnout," particularly in regard to the young, which is exactly the demographic he failed to actually energize in the 2016 primaries. They talked a lot about him, but when it actually came time to get off their asses and vote, not so much:

Mr Sanders won 70% of the under-30 vote, but this made up just 17% of all voters

That's 17% of all voters who voted in the primaries, not 17% of all Democratic voters. And while they are coming of age, in 2020 there is a bigger shift toward "minority" voters being the most impactful, particularly among Hispanics evidently, which is, of course, precisely why the Trump administration has been cracking down on immigration:

In raw numbers, a projected 32 million Hispanics will be eligible to vote in 2020, compared with 30 million blacks. The population of Asians eligible to vote will reach an estimated 11 million in 2020, which is more than double the 5 million who were eligible to vote in 2000, accounting for 5% of next year’s electorate.

Taken together, this strong growth among minority populations means that a third of eligible voters will be nonwhite in 2020, up from about a quarter in 2000. This increase is at least partially linked to immigration and naturalization patterns: One-in-ten eligible voters in the 2020 election will have been born outside the U.S., the highest share since at least 1970.
Another important long-term trend is the overall aging of the electorate. In 2020, nearly a quarter of the electorate (23%) will be ages 65 and older, the highest such share since at least 1970. This reflects not only the maturation of the large Baby Boom generation but also increased life expectancy among older Americans.

Baby Boomers and older generations, who will be ages 56 and older next year, are expected to account for fewer than four-in-ten eligible voters in 2020. This is a significant change from 2000, when nearly seven-in-ten eligible voters (68%) were Boomers, Silents or members of the Greatest Generation (collectively, those ages 36 and older at the time). Even as recently as 2012, when the youngest Boomer was 48 years old, Boomer and older generations were about half of the electorate (49%).

The next presidential election will also mark the first time that Millennials (who will be ages 24 to 39 in 2020) will account for a slightly smaller share of the electorate than they represented in the last presidential election. The raw number of Millennials eligible to vote is increasing due to foreign-born Millennials naturalizing to become citizens. But the Millennial share of the electorate has peaked as they are not growing as fast as the electorate overall.

Meanwhile, the leading edge of Generation Z (people ages 18 to 23 in 2020) is projected to comprise one-in-ten eligible voters, up from just 4% in 2016, when the vast majority were too young to cast ballots. These post-Millennials are on track to be more racially and ethnically diverse than their predecessors: In 2020, Gen Z eligible voters are expected to be 55% white and 45% nonwhite, including 21% Hispanic, 14% black, and 4% Asian or Pacific Islander. By comparison, the Boomer and older electorate is projected to be about three-quarters white (74%).

Differences in turnout rates again matter when talking about generations and should be kept in mind as election season gets underway. Since older adults are more likely to turn out to vote, it’s possible that older generations will form a larger share of actual voters in 2020 than their share in the electorate. That’s what happened in 2016: Even though Boomers and older generations accounted for 43% of eligible voters, they cast 49% of the ballots.

Iow, Sanders is evidently playing by 2016 rules and the rules have significantly changed since then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom