• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Media treatment of Bernie Sanders: a story in pictures

From POLITICO, all within 24 hours:

View attachment 24155

View attachment 24156

Both headlines are true. Look at the polling. I don't say that because I'm happy about it. Warren is my pick, but I do worry that she will fail in the general, and it may be that Sanders has a better shot. He may have had a better shot than Clinton, but he has to win the nomination first. That's on him.

He has consistently been in the top 3 since Biden entered the race, nothing has changed except Biden is tanking. Also, Obama was doing worse at the same time in his primary:

2007.jpg

Warren is catching up with Biden by gaining Biden's supporters, Sanders hasn't.

He has consistently been in the top 3 since Biden entered the race, nothing has changed except Biden is tanking. Also, Obama was doing worse at the same time in his primary

Don't delude yourself, he was beating Warren before. It used to be a two man race between Biden and Sanders. He's now trailing significantly to both Warren and Biden in Iowa and NH.

Warren is catching up with Biden by gaining Biden's supporters, Sanders hasn't.

100% true, but it doesn't change much or make his campaign "failing". It should be clear by now that Sanders' support is undercounted, just from the nature of how the polling is conducted and the demographics of his base (who don't have landlines, don't have the time or interest in taking online polls, and have the sanity to reject incoming calls from unknown numbers on caller ID). That Biden's supporters are flocking to Warren is evidence that Warren and Bernie have drastically different bases and therefore materially different policies and theories for how to achieve them, which also grates against the media narrative of the equivalence between them.

The 2018 tweet was talking about Congressional races, but it's still hilarious the way that every milestone or accomplishment by Bernie's campaign has to be immediately downplayed by the exact same people every single time:

silver.jpg

Also, for those who are interested in polls, here's a nice breakdown of where Bernie is relative to where he was before, and relative to the other candidates

polls.JPG

18) So by my count, out of 14 different pollsters, Bernie has gone down in 3 of them.

But please keep saying how he’s slipping in all the polls, when he’s actually gaining, and it’s just that Quinnipiac and NBC have both recently released polls

You can expect coverage like this soon--

ABC: Bernie Sanders hospitalized, campaign events temporarily canceled

Politico: Worst Democratic Candidate Quits Campaign after Heart Attack

Fox News: Communist Coup Leader Has Secretly Been Dead For Over a Year

Honestly, to not need a stint until age 78 is pretty healthy for his age, Bill Clinton had one put in at like 60. Routine stuff for old people, but it's slightly worrying. It's the one thing none of us on the left can change: if there were a woman, a POC, or a younger candidate who was as good as Sanders in the ways that matter to us, we'd back that person in an instant. In another term or so, it might be a possibility. But in this race, he's the only one.

Honestly, to not need a stint until age 78 is pretty healthy for his age, Bill Clinton had one put in at like 60. Routine stuff for old people, but it's slightly worrying. It's the one thing none of us on the left can change: if there were a woman, a POC, or a younger candidate who was as good as Sanders in the ways that matter to us, we'd back that person in an instant. In another term or so, it might be a possibility. But in this race, he's the only one.

Cheer up. It doesn't matter if he runs or not, you will die believing regardless.

I truly wish Bernie well. It's going to be a major blow to his campaign.

The 2018 tweet was talking about Congressional races, but it's still hilarious the way that every milestone or accomplishment by Bernie's campaign has to be immediately downplayed by the exact same people every single time:

View attachment 24184

Silver has previously said that fundraising matters more for congressional races.

Who Is Winning The Fundraising Primary So Far? | FiveThirtyEight - APR. 17, 2019

Nate Silver said:
However, fundraising has historically not been a super great predictor of primary outcomes. It’s generally worse than polls and worse than endorsements. It is quite a useful predictor in House elections, though, and to some extent Senate and gubernatorial elections.

You keep posting these memes without first checking them out for any bias or accuracy, quite ironically. If you simply looked up the tweet on the right, you would see this one underneath:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1179025367589425152

nate silver sanders fundraising.JPG

blastula: You're correct. Thanks!

EDIT: But Nate is still full of shit anyway

Last edited:
Independently-made video that nicely captures the portrayal versus the reality of this man.

We now return to Bernie Sanders, whose head is actually this color in real life

sngw05jc7gr31.png

Kinda wish I didn't have to resurrect this thread after every goddamn debate, but you can't make this shit up:

FactChecking the October Democratic Debate

facts.JPG
Imagine thinking this is a distinction that needs to be made. "I'm sorry, but your grandma only died of an opportunistic infection, so the cancer merely contributed to her death without causing it, even though she wouldn't have succumbed to the infection if not for the cancer."

facts2.JPG
...or, in other words, were underinsured. But the real gem in this article is:

facts3.JPG
Pack it up boys, we're done here. We've been thoroughly factchecked and exposed as frauds

Attachments

• facts.JPG
    facts.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
NBC took Bernie's best quote from the debate and attributed it to Warren:

nbc.jpg

As did NYMag...

nymag.jpg

As did Boston.com...

boston.jpg

Nate Silver proves again he can't do math:

Nate.JPG

Looking a little closer...

Change.JPG

Warren's numbers improved by 2.2, which is the "most", while Sanders' numbers improved by only 2.2, which is "meh"

Back
Top Bottom