• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Media treatment of Bernie Sanders: a story in pictures

I remain yang gang, but I definitely commend Bernie on his ability to always be talking policy and not let himself get dragged into the personal mud slinging.

I remain yang gang, but I definitely commend Bernie on his ability to always be talking policy and not let himself get dragged into the personal mud slinging.

You mean like you're doing in this thread?

I let myself get dragged down with the likes of koy and yourself. Bernie rises above it. As I said, I admire him for it.

If anyone should be whinning about lack of coverage or fair coverage, it should be Pete. Dude is working it hard. Focusing on fixing problems. He consistently polling in the top 4. But he never whines or mopes. And this is his first election. I think that he's going far...

0% with black voters lol

Well, I'm not a white guy, and I like him. He's consistently in the top 4. And yet, he never whines about his lack of media coverage.

If anyone should be whinning about lack of coverage or fair coverage, it should be Pete. Dude is working it hard. Focusing on fixing problems. He consistently polling in the top 4. But he never whines or mopes. And this is his first election. I think that he's going far...

0% with black voters lol

Well, I'm not a white guy, and I like him. He's consistently in the top 4. And yet, he never whines about his lack of media coverage.

I'm not black but I have quite a few black friends and while none of them plan on voting for Mayor Pete in the primaries, every single one of them have told me they would vote for him or anyone else who becomes the Democratic nominee in the general. Anybody but orange man 2020!

"Bernie Bros" was one of the ways Hillary and her media friends tried to attack Sanders, as if Bernie is some sort of sexist.

Wrong again, but par for your course. Always the put upon; never the disingenuous, intellectually dishonest provocateur living under a bridge.

"Bernie Bros" was one of the ways Hillary and her media friends tried to attack Sanders, as if Bernie is some sort of sexist.

Wrong again, but par for your course. Always the put upon; never the disingenuous, intellectually dishonest provocateur living under a bridge.

Um... I wasn't put upon here. Bernie was. I am not Bernie.

MSNBC Is the Most Influential Network Among Liberals—And It’s Ignoring Bernie Sanders

In These Times tallied how often the three candidates were discussed and logged whether the coverage was positive, negative or neutral. For example, while poll results by themselves (whether favorable or unfavorable to a candidate) were simply logged as neutral, commentary about a candidate “surging” was logged as positive and “stagnant” as negative. Clips and previews for upcoming segments were not included.

The coverage quickly revealed a pattern. Over the two months, these six programs focused on Biden, often to the exclusion of Warren and Sanders. Sanders received not only the least total coverage (less than one-third of Biden’s), but the most negative. As to the substance, MSNBC’s reporting revolved around poll results and so-called electability.

coverage.JPG

The coverage quickly revealed a pattern. Over the two months, these six programs focused on Biden, often to the exclusion of Warren and Sanders. Sanders received not only the least total coverage (less than one-third of Biden’s), but the most negative. As to the substance, MSNBC’s reporting revolved around poll results and so-called electability.

Are these the two months that Sanders' poll numbers were going down? Because... that would reasonably look like this?

Are these the two months that Sanders' poll numbers were going down? Because... that would reasonably look like this?

That doesn't explain the fact that Warren was covered more favorably despite having the same or lower polling numbers in the same period. Nor does it explain the difference in the content of coverage, rather than simply whether it was positive or negative. Nor does it explain all the instances of bias mentioned in the article.

rcp.JPG

That doesn't explain the fact that Warren was covered more favorably despite having the same or lower polling numbers in the same period. Nor does it explain the difference in the content of coverage, rather than simply whether it was positive or negative. Nor does it explain all the instances of bias mentioned in the article.

View attachment 24903

You don't see it? Warren's polls are going up. Sanders Polls are stagnant. News outlets report her as surging and him as stagnant.
And you think that's unfair.

Weird.

You don't see it? Warren's polls are going up. Sanders Polls are stagnant. News outlets report her as surging and him as stagnant.
And you think that's unfair.

Weird.

If you think that's proportional to the decrease in coverage, especially given the other points in the article and the fact that Warren's surge only happened at the tail end of the 2 months, so be it. The connection you're not making here is that poll results do not happen in isolation from media coverage. They are profoundly affected by it through the reinforcement of narratives that become accepted as educated consensus, when it's actually what Chomsky called manufactured consent. So, rather than calling the polls the independent variable and expecting coverage to follow the polls, it's more likely that the coverage is the independent value and the polls are following the coverage.

Biden's supporters switching to Warren, Sanders remains Stagnant.

Biden supporters move to Warren, Sanders remains level.

Biden supporters drop as Warren surges and Sanders hold.

Sanders is Jesus fucking Christ and Warren is a douchebag.

Warren topping in the polls as Sanders remains stagnant.

Sanders holding in polls as Warren displaces Biden in first place.

Some Bernie Sanders supporters hard to discern from Ron Paul supporters.

When was Ron Paul a frontrunner for nomination with 4 million individual small donations?

ETA: Yang is the Ron Paul of this race anyway

When was Ron Paul a frontrunner for nomination with 4 million individual small donations?
You've been here long enough to remember boneyard bill and the relentless optimism regarding his thoughts on Ron Paul's presidential aspirations.

You've been here long enough to remember boneyard bill and the relentless optimism regarding his thoughts on Ron Paul's presidential aspirations.

Not much to bite into with that comparison, other than the fact that both of us were/are supporters of a candidate that wasn't favored by the establishment. I don't think Bernie is guaranteed to win, or even likely to win, but I'm doing what I can to change that instead of taking it as a foregone conclusion. He is routinely underestimated and his support comes disproportionately from people who don't get polled; given how many polls have shown him in the lead versus everyone except Biden, I think we have a real shot this time around.

The idea that a Bernie Sanders victory will somehow significantly alter the US's prospects any more than any other Democratic candidate is fanciful. Unless the Dems take the Senate (a big if) and hold the House, it won't really matter very much which Dem wins the POTUS.

Back
Top Bottom