• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Melanie's Marvelous Measles Is A Book For Children That You Can Buy

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
http://observationdeck.io9.com/mela...a-book-for-children-that-1659129577/+riamisra

Melanie's Marvelous Measles is a book about how awesome it is to catch the measles. Children ages 4-10 are invited to learn that the measles is actually pretty fun, has no serious possible side-effects, and is something kids should look forward to getting.

The book includes helpful medical advice, like that measles is easily avoided by drinking melon juice, and that vaccines weaken the human immune system, but getting measles strengthens it (as does melon juice).

You can buy the book—for your own unvaccinated children, or for a friend's—on Amazon. (If you're lucky enough to be unvaccinated and expecting, just click the "add to Baby Registry" button.)

Also, you should make sure your kids get polio. A lifetime of their being able to use handicapped parking spots is a gift that keeps on giving.

You know who had measles? Hitler.

(And his brother died of measles.)

This Anti-vaxxer children’s book is getting destroyed in Amazon troll campaign - Salon.com
"Melanie's Marvelous Measles" was written to teach children the "benefits" of having the disease.

In 2012, a proactive Australian anti-vaxxer named Stephanie Messenger self-published a children’s book called “Melanie’s Marvelous Measles.” With the book, Messenger endeavored to “educate children on the benefits of having measles and how you can heal from them naturally and successfully.” The book’s illustrated cover features a girl frolicking in a meadow with her stomach exposed, revealing a number of measles pocks all over her body. The whole thing is truly grotesque — so much so, that Amazon has put a disclaimer on the book’s description, noting that it is “provided by the publisher/author of this title and presents the subjective opinions of the publisher/author, which may not be substantiated.”
It provoked a lot of snarky comments from Amazon's community of book reviewers.

Potoooooooo's link titled: Melanie's Marvelous Measles Is A Book For Children That You Can Buy

Section names:

A Cohort Of Cardboard Characters
Stephanie's Super-Sad Story (Seriously)
An Aunt's Appalling Advocacy
An Insidious Information-Inoculation Industry

Author Stephanie Messenger's only child had died and doctors and nurses had brushed off her concerns. She became convinced that her child had died of vaccination side effects and she found plenty of "support" for that notion in the writings of anti-vaxxers.

One io9 commenter looked forward to these follow-ups:
Sally's Superb Smallpox
Polly's Perfect Polio

I'll think of some:
Gary Wilder's Great and Wonderful Guinea Worm
Betty Paul's Beautiful and Placid Bubonic Plague
Eb's Ebullient Ebola
Harry's Humorous Heart Attack
Arthur's Artful Arthritis
Esther's Excellent Enteritis
Wanda's Welcome Warts
Scott's Scrumptious Scurvy
Larry's Likable Limp
Maddie's Magnificent Malaria

Disease is NOT NOT NOT caused by little creatures nobody can see. Disease is caused by SIN and DEMONS! They should give all their money to the church, and go to church where the elders will pray over them and anoint them with oil. If they survive, then JEEZUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! has cured them. If they die, then it's their own SIN! SIN! SIN!.

Eldarion Lathria

Disease is NOT NOT NOT caused by little creatures nobody can see. Disease is caused by SIN and DEMONS! They should give all their money to the church, and go to church where the elders will pray over them and anoint them with oil. If they survive, then JEEZUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! has cured them. If they die, then it's their own SIN! SIN! SIN!.

Eldarion Lathria

Yup, demons that you exorcise with the holy penicillin!

How about instead of calling them "anti-vaccine" we call them "pro-disease"? Seems more descriptive.
Why don't we just call them morons? As in "Morons say you shouldn't vaccinate your kids".
That's a generalized insult. Try again. You need something specific, like "anti-vaxxer" or "measles lover".

That's a generalized insult. Try again. You need something specific, like "anti-vaxxer" or "measles lover".

Yeah, "moron" simply isn't specific enough.

I disagree. The need for specificity implies that if someone is an anti-vaxxer, they would possibly be intelligent in other areas of their life. My contention is that if someone is an anti-vaxxer, that person is just a plain, fucking moron. You don't need to specify the particular area in which they have a moronic opinion because it's safe to say that all of their opinions are moronic.

I think that "measles lover" is a good description of anyone who thinks who thinks that "Melanie's Marvelous Measles" has a good case against vaccines. It's nicely descriptive, something that "moron" isn't. Terms like "moron" and "idiot" were once technical terms for various degrees of mental retardation, so they are thus versions of "retard".

Yeah, "moron" simply isn't specific enough.

I disagree. The need for specificity implies that if someone is an anti-vaxxer, they would possibly be intelligent in other areas of their life. My contention is that if someone is an anti-vaxxer, that person is just a plain, fucking moron. You don't need to specify the particular area in which they have a moronic opinion because it's safe to say that all of their opinions are moronic.

Look, ordinarily, I would agree with you.

I go out of my way to correct people who call creationists stupid because I think it is unhelpful. I even try hard to avoid calling climate change denialists and birthers stupid.

However, I draw the line here. Yes, there are many highly educated people--even medical doctors--who buy into this nonsense, but in this case their stupidity is endangering children, and I simply see no point in trying to protect their self-image. Their self-images do not deserve to be protected. They should be treated like pariahs at every possible opportunity, and that includes calling them names.

Back
Top Bottom