• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Melanoma Monday

Today is Melanoma Monday. Since my husband was recently diagnosed with melanoma, I felt compelled to post this and just remind people to wear sunscreen and have someone check your back and places you can't see regularly.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/05/01/melanoma-monday/

Always a good reminder.

Please accept my very best wishes for a full recovery for your husband. My very best friend in the entire world's husband is a long term survivor of skin cancer, one spot of which turned out to be melanoma about 8 years ago. He is doing well, still being monitored closely and so far, no more melanoma, although a number of basal cell cancers and pre-cancerous growths have been removed. Not a fun thing to deal with but he's doing well and is committed to ongoing schedule of screenings, early removal of any spot that appears, and sun exposure. He's extremely vigilant (and my friend makes him be extremely vigilant) about sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, etc. I hope that your husband has the same experience of recovery and careful monitoring.

Please, don't forget your own self care--it takes a toll on people when those they love have serious problems. And too easy to forget to get enough sleep, eat well, spend time with friends and family and remember that there is a life outside of a doctor's office or hospital.

I had a friend who, many years ago, woke up to a large blood stain on his bed sheet. His wife said there is something on his back and he should have his doctor look at it. He went to the doctor that day. The doctor took one look at it and said "You are going to the hospital NOW!" They had him in surgery that day.

A few years ago, he got brain cancer. Unknown whether it was related to the cancer on his back. Either way, it killed him.

I had a friend who, many years ago, woke up to a large blood stain on his bed sheet. His wife said there is something on his back and he should have his doctor look at it. He went to the doctor that day. The doctor took one look at it and said "You are going to the hospital NOW!" They had him in surgery that day.

A few years ago, he got brain cancer. Unknown whether it was related to the cancer on his back. Either way, it killed him.

That was not uplifting.

How many years in between back incident and brain cancer?

How many years in between back incident and brain cancer?

Don't know. The back issue was before I met him.

He was a construction worker and often worked shirtless.

Skin cancers are a BIG deal in Australia; I have just had my annual medical, and that included a full-body examination by a dermatologist, who spent about 30 minutes looking at every significant mole on my body, using a magnifying lens. It's about the simplest and least invasive diagnostic test imaginable - unless you are incredibly prudish about being seen naked by a doctor - and it is recommended for anyone over 40 years of age in Queensland.

It's certainly far less uncomfortable than a Prostate test - and that still applies when they only do a PSA blood test, rather than a digital examination.

I got a clean bill of health (although there are a few larger moles and two in difficult to spot locations that he specifically said I should watch for changes). Of course, I grew up in the north of England, and my sun exposure as a child was far lower than that of most Queenslanders. Apparently it is severe sunburn while under the age of 15 that is the biggest risk factor for melanoma in later life - so if you grew up on the beach getting burned to a crisp, you should get your skin checked regularly after the age of 40, even if you now live in Alaska and never go outside without several layers of clothing, and zinc cream on your face and hands.

Today is Melanoma Monday. Since my husband was recently diagnosed with melanoma, I felt compelled to post this and just remind people to wear sunscreen and have someone check your back and places you can't see regularly.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/05/01/melanoma-monday/

I hope your husband is going to be ok. I have had a bcc removed, but nothing more serious. I am cautious about the sun, however, you are talking to a teenage beach babe who used to have tanning competitions with her friends when she was younger, so the damage is done!

Back
Top Bottom