• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

'Merica: YOU ARE SO GAY!

Excellent. Our cunning plan is working perfectly.

Soon we'll be able to marry our dogs as we've been wanting to all along.

What's this 'we" shit, Canada-Boy?

Don't you see? The Canadians have been secretly trying to destroy our nation by getting us to like gay people. It's all a ploy. Soon we'll all be just as nice as they are, and when that happens, kiss America goodbye, cause we'll all be Canadian.

So, they (the ??10%) are normal and 'accepted' and can marry, if they want to, in every State of the Union. Now can we please have an end to 'Gay Pride' parades? Just start living normally for Chrissakes, like the rest of us.
You have clearly never been to the King Mango Strut in Coconut Grove Miami. No, it is not a gay pride parade. It it a *normal* parade. Likewise, the Columbus Day Regatta or the Key West Fantasy Fest.

If you are freaked out by a gay pride parade, I am certain your head would explodes at a *normal* parade in South Florida :D

So, they (the ??10%) are normal and 'accepted' and can marry, if they want to, in every State of the Union. Now can we please have an end to 'Gay Pride' parades? Just start living normally for Chrissakes, like the rest of us.

It's unlikely to happen soon. Pride is popular, even with straight, cisgender folk. Larger pride festivities draw in over a million people, so there's money to be made as well, if it's organized right. There is nothing particularly abnormal about going to Pride, but even if there was, the time spent on pride by those who are not staff or organizers is less than one percent of the year for the bulk of attendees, so even if they attend every year, the remaining 99+% of the year is living as 'normally' as 'the rest of us.'

In terms of why Pride festivities are still held despite great advances in LGBT equality issues, there are a number of reasons. It's fun for many people. Homophobia still exists and leaves many feeling isolated, and this is a chance to bring people together in a generally positive atmosphere. It's a chance to reflect on how far LGBT rights have come, remember what hardships and tragedies existed in the past, and consider what challenges and hardships still exist domestically and in the rest of the world.

So I guess in answer to your question, no, you cannot have an end to Pride parades in all likelihood. As a word of advice though. Don't call people 'sensitive' when this is the sort of shit you whine about.

It's a scary time to many conservatives. Obamacare was ruled legal and fair Housing was kept intact by SCOTUS, Gay marriage is the law of the land, and the confederate flag is is coming down in many parts of the US. All in ONE WEEK.

It really has been one heck of a history making week, hasn't it?

Your bravery and willingness to self-sacrifice is an inspiration for all of us. I know that the word "hero" is overused these days, but you men are the greatest heroes in the entire history of the world.

Yessir. Greater than Mandela & Gandhi & Martin Luther King and that sort of minor "nobody".:rolleyesa:

Then stay home. Nobody will miss you :rolleyes:

It really has been one heck of a history making week, hasn't it?
i have been trying to imagine my reaction if, as a teenager, i'd have been told i'd live to see a black president call to congratulate a gay lawyer on winning his marriage equality case...
Then i realized i'd have been most impressed by the number of TV channels it would be discussed on.

In other news, bible thumper's heads are exploding [emoji106]

I've never enjoyed Facebook as much as I have today, watching all the conservative Christians I went to high school with lose their minds and preachers threatening to burn themselves.

Did you read their dissents?

Spiderwebs have more substance.

Congrats to the LGBT folks. It's been long overdue.

Here are some of the dissenting opinions.

So are the conservative justices saying if the Supreme Court decides to uphold a right that is not specifically mentioned in the constitution, they're creating a new law? Do conservative justices never do the same thing?

Roberts said:
But this Court is not a legislature. Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be.

Are we really better off if we leave the laws back in the 18th century under the intent of the infallible, omniscient American gods known as the "Founding Fathers"?

So are the conservative justices saying if the Supreme Court decides to uphold a right that is not specifically mentioned in the constitution, they're creating a new law? Do conservative justices never do the same thing?
A business' rights as a person, say?

It's unlikely to happen soon. Pride is popular, even with straight, cisgender folk. Larger pride festivities draw in over a million people, so there's money to be made as well, if it's organized right. There is nothing particularly abnormal about going to Pride, but even if there was, the time spent on pride by those who are not staff or organizers is less than one percent of the year for the bulk of attendees, so even if they attend every year, the remaining 99+% of the year is living as 'normally' as 'the rest of us.'

In terms of why Pride festivities are still held despite great advances in LGBT equality issues, there are a number of reasons. It's fun for many people. Homophobia still exists and leaves many feeling isolated, and this is a chance to bring people together in a generally positive atmosphere. It's a chance to reflect on how far LGBT rights have come, remember what hardships and tragedies existed in the past, and consider what challenges and hardships still exist domestically and in the rest of the world.

So I guess in answer to your question, no, you cannot have an end to Pride parades in all likelihood. As a word of advice though. Don't call people 'sensitive' when this is the sort of shit you whine about.

Well now folks. No amount of ill-tempered bitchy persuasion will make me like the Pride parades, unless they show more self-respect and genuine pride by participants and less sleaze.

But for the record I will tell you what nobody bothered to ask, namely that I'm wholly in favour of your SCOTUS decision, in spite of the sleaze associated with the parade. I am only glad that no one tried to paint the parades as the equivalent of the March on Washington and other Civil rights marches.

Well now folks. No amount of ill-tempered bitchy persuasion will make me like the Pride parades, unless they show more self-respect and genuine pride by participants and less sleaze.

But for the record I will tell you what nobody bothered to ask, namely that I'm wholly in favour of your SCOTUS decision, in spite of the sleaze associated with the parade. I am only glad that no one tried to paint the parades as the equivalent of the March on Washington and other Civil rights marches.

Since you're bothered that nobody bothered, how is it that you define "sleaze" anyway?

When I typed the word into the Google machine the first result was:

immoral, sordid, and corrupt behavior or material, especially in business or politics.

Merriam-Webster calls it:

behavior that is dishonest or immoral

Now, pride parades are certainly colorful, and no doubt have some folks wearing outfits that prudish types might find shocking, but what acts have you seen (or heard about) that reach the level of sordid or corrupt?

I mean, you've clearly been terrorized by these acts that you don't want to see anymore, so can you be specific? Unless of course it bothers you to answer...

Moderator: Do you support gay marriage?
Obama: No! *wink*

Roberts said:
But this Court is not a legislature. Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be.

Are we really better off if we leave the laws back in the 18th century under the intent of the infallible, omniscient American gods known as the "Founding Fathers"?
Except that the Founders explicitly said that the enumerated rights weren't all of the rights citizens have. That is Constitution 001. Rights, privileges, equal protection.

The dissents are embarrassing to SCOTUS.

Back
Top Bottom